Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    • 15,627Posts
    • 127,680Thanks
    JackieO
    Love Food, Hate Waste
    • 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    Love Food, Hate Waste 27th Feb 17 at 4:33 PM
    I have been surfing around the internet this afternoon and found a site about Stop Wasting Food I think had quite a good idea ,in that instead of restricting ourselves from certain stuff during Lent perhaps it would be better to limit the over buying, and use up the initial stuff we already have .There is apparently a Russian young lady who seemingly has reduced the amount that Dennmark wastes by changing peoples out look in the supermarkets, and they have significantly reduced the amount of stuff being binned into landfill

Now to me that seems like a pretty good idea. The supermarkets have reduced amounts binned by instead of offering BOGOFFs they have reduced single purchases so its more economical to buy less. Doesn't sound like a bad idea ,I can understand people buying large amounts if they have larger families, but how often have we all been swayed by BOGOFFs,myself included. What do you all think ?

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

If you like this you might also like our ZeroWaste and Recycle Week discussions.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 02-10-2017 at 12:49 PM.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
Page 71
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 9th Oct 17, 9:41 AM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 6,974 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I am making chilli jelly at the moment as I also have a lot of windfall apples. It is only the lack of jars that is preventing me from making more - I might need to do a freecycle appeal.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 9th Oct 17, 9:47 AM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 9,821 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    maryb - What do you do about the seeds in the chillies as I thought that was where most of the heat is?
    I have a load of very small ones sitting in the kitchen and haven't worked up enough courage or have had the time to tackle them yet, loads more in the polytunnel so freezing them whole appeals a lot.
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 352.33/300 Oct 266.36/310 Nov 153.48/300 Non food/alcohol Oct 24.30/Nov 28.49
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 9th Oct 17, 2:42 PM
    • 15,627 Posts
    • 127,680 Thanks
    JackieO
    I get a good few chillies from my young neighbour Jamie, who bless him, its his pet project in their garden as his wife Scarlet does the rest of it and I always open freeze and put in a bag in the freezer and just use as and when I need them.

He works in the local hospital on shifts and doesn't get a great deal of time so he has a little part of the garden thats 'Daddies patch' and his two little girls keep and eye on it for him. He was so proud to hand me some that he had grown and I was very pleased to receive them They are a lovely young couple who work long hours and share their little girls childcare between them.I've never seen a young chap so delighted about growing something to eat before

Tonight's dinner is a pork chop from the freezer with some mashed sweet potato and green veg with some diced up red grapes with a good dollop of plain greek yogurt NSD to I am saving myself for Thursday and the new Aldi's opening up
    • maryb
    • By maryb 9th Oct 17, 3:16 PM
    • 3,454 Posts
    • 41,132 Thanks
    maryb
    Zafiro just scrape them out with a knife when you cut the chilli in half lengthwise if you don't want it to be too hot
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 9th Oct 17, 3:59 PM
    • 351 Posts
    • 4,379 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Pollycat: I asked my Polish DDiL about the kapuska and yes, she knew what it was. She pronounces it "kapushka" and makes it as a cheap, tasty, filling mid-week meal - with 3 growing boys she's very conscious of cost. She doesn't like lamb (much to DS's disappointment ) so makes it with minced beef or bacon (the cheap packs of bits).

LynnP: Glad you like the recipes and that they might feature on your Cmas pressies ideas list. The spicy carrot pickle has been sitting in the fridge for two weeks now and we've voted it a hit, so I'll be making some more to give as gifts.

Yesterday's dinner was braised pork shoulder steak with thinly sliced onions and gravy, mash and sprouts. I also made up half a packet of Jamie O's sun-dried tomato & garlic stuffing mix that I bought a while ago when it was being sold off at the sm, about 30p I think. It was OK but I wouldn't buy it again so the other half (not OOD) will probably be used "a la Jackie" as a crumb coating.

Tonight we're having a stir-fry with noodles; I'm using a ys turkey breast from the freezer and liberating bits of veg from the fridge plus another sachet of stir-fry sauce (sweet chilli & garlic) from the cupboard. As usual, DH won't want pudding; for me it will be a small sliced banana topped with vanilla yogurt.

The last bag of mixed peppers I bought contained all red ones with one orange one; no such luck last Friday - they were all green! Instead I bought some red chillies to use with the last red pepper to make red chilli jam later this week (more gifts ). I'll have to pick a warmish day when I can have the window open wide - I can't stand the smell of hot vinegar. But I'll put up with it 'cos I love pickles and chutneys!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Dec £66.03/£160 9/28 NSDs
    Nov -£2.60 Oct +£9.92 Sep +£42.85 Aug +£84.62 July +£7.98 June -£3.13 May +£10.37

• VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 9th Oct 17, 8:38 PM
    • 4,906 Posts
    • 70,692 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Today I made a lentil shepherds pie. I found a pack of lentils with porcini mushrooms that was over a year out of date. I tried s spoonful and it was ok, so I used that plus a tin of green lentils, three bendy carrots, some frozen Beaujolais and everything else was fresh in the base. A soft ish potato was used in the mash topping.

Three of us ate it for tea with three further freezer portions...
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 9th Oct 17, 8:49 PM
    • 2,653 Posts
    • 27,522 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    I need another question answering please if anyone could? (or all of you, I'm all for trying a few popular variations) My nana taught me how to cook and how to bake. My knowledge and ability of both are fairly sound however.....one bit is missing. Whenever my nan made things like potato croquettes the breadcrumbs that they were rolled in came in a large tub and look like the coating that you get on fish fingers. Could somebody please explain to me the easiest way of turning leftover bread into breadcrumbs? I'm forever seeing recipes that say to make your own breadcrumbs and I honestly have no idea how.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 9th Oct 17, 9:04 PM
    • 4,107 Posts
    • 33,922 Thanks
    Floss
    For dried breadcrumbs for fish cakes, croquettes etc. put end of bread on tray into dying oven (once turned off from cooking), allow to dry overnight and then blitz in blender before storing in an airtight jar or box.

For fresh breadcrumbs for meatballs, stuffing, breadsauce etc. put smallish lumps of staleish bread into blender & blitz, then freeze until needed.
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 9th Oct 17, 10:21 PM
    • 923 Posts
    • 17,592 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    Conjuring meals up from nothing
    Evening all

Busy day today - spent much of the morning looking after DGD while DS1 + 'DIL' walked the dogs and dropped three massive bags of stuff off at the chazzer. They then went out for a long walk right out to Godrevy from Hayle as the tide was out and it was the last day of DS1's holiday and tide was out and it was dry Baby went in papoose like sling on Dad's back. So I sat down in peace and quiet and read half of my NT magasine that came last month - so much to do in there for free (once youve paid membership but at less than £0.50 per week, and I dont smoke or drink particularly any more so its my treat - with all the car park fees in Cornwall the membership would pay for itself anyway!).
    then got round to hanging out my washing, sweeping through downstairs, airing the dog beds before setting out to pick them up. So no time to plan food nor to cook what had been planned - somat with a roasted butternut squash (risotto - biryani - over pasta with pine nuts and parmisan - soup??) cos by the time anyone was hungry (having had snack picnic at about 3 pm! ) it would have made food really late so I stared at the contents of the fridge for a while and came up with: smoky bacon sauted in a pan with some onion and half a garlic clove + half a jar of pesto over pasta (with sauted mushroom for those that liked them.) Saved the mushrooms going off (the remains will form the basis of a soup tomorrow); emptied yet another half jar from the fridge and fed us all for essentially nowt!

Am determined not to spend any money until Thursday. I should make it as tomorrow we are going out for our main meal as it is a friends birthday and I have vouchers for Brewer's fare and others will pay the rest. Tomorrow also will put oven on for: fennel seed biscuits ( part of friend's birthday present - they used to love seedy cake but now cant have it as are borderline diabetic so these might make a good substitute because they are not sweet. ) oven will also hold apricot filled flapjack (dried apricots were on offer in L!dil's last week) and the butternut squash for Wednesday night's meal (see options above!). Wish me luck!

Frugaling onward!
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22)
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 10th Oct 17, 7:58 AM
    • 2,653 Posts
    • 27,522 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    For dried breadcrumbs for fish cakes, croquettes etc. put end of bread on tray into dying oven (once turned off from cooking), allow to dry overnight and then blitz in blender before storing in an airtight jar or box.

For fresh breadcrumbs for meatballs, stuffing, breadsauce etc. put smallish lumps of staleish bread into blender & blitz, then freeze until needed.
    Originally posted by Floss
    Thank you, I knew someone here would have the answer. I kept meaning to ask then forgetting.
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 10th Oct 17, 9:14 AM
    • 291 Posts
    • 3,050 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    Another breadcrumb suggestion - you can stick a slice of bread in the microwave for about 20 seconds at a time until it goes hard and then blitz it in the food processor to make lovely crunchy breadcrumbs.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 10th Oct 17, 3:18 PM
    • 15,627 Posts
    • 127,680 Thanks
    JackieO
    If you have an odd pack of crisps left over I usually get the paprika ones from my DDs big bags as I don't buy crisps, but she does for the boys, and they aren't keen on spicy ones.

I bung them in a plastic bag and give it a good wallop and roll out with the rolling pin and store once smashed to bits in a lock'n'lock tub and use as a change to coat chicken thighs with(sort of spicy KFC effect ) or slices of pork fillet as a change from stuffing mix,flour egg then coat with crisps and chuck into a roasting pan to cook I do like spicy food and like to use as much herbs/spices as I can as well. A smear of garlic puree before coating is nice as well
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 10th Oct 17, 5:01 PM
    • 2,653 Posts
    • 27,522 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Thank you Jackie and Ginmonster too. The house troll's favourite crisps are pickled onion flavour and I'm in no hurry to use those as a coating for anything.....
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 10th Oct 17, 5:27 PM
    • 1,044 Posts
    • 23,431 Thanks
    MMF007
    Thank you Jackie and Ginmonster too. The house troll's favourite crisps are pickled onion flavour and I'm in no hurry to use those as a coating for anything.....
    Originally posted by CRANKY40
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th Oct 17, 6:58 PM
    • 60,998 Posts
    • 356,292 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Could somebody please explain to me the easiest way of turning leftover bread into breadcrumbs? I'm forever seeing recipes that say to make your own breadcrumbs and I honestly have no idea how.
    Originally posted by CRANKY40

Originally posted by Floss
    And if you don't have an oven - and/or don't have a processor/blender then you can do it by simply leaving the bread out (covered for flies) .... or toasting it lightly, or even cutting it up into small squares/cubes and nuking it to dry it - then tossing it into a sandwich bag and bashing it to bits with a rolling pin, or anything hard you've got. As it's in a bag, if the only thing you own that's hard enough is the heel of your shoe, then go for that.

Breadcrumbs are: dried bread.... toasting can add colour; not toasting leaves them white. Beyond that, any way you can get the bread to dry out - and the bread to be smashed to smithereens.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 10-10-2017 at 7:28 PM.
    • maryb
    • By maryb 10th Oct 17, 7:33 PM
    • 3,454 Posts
    • 41,132 Thanks
    maryb
    Also, depending on the recipe, it may not be necessary to make them into crumbs. If you want white breadcrumbs for bread sauce, for example, just tear it into small bits and let it soak up the milk, then give it a good stir to get the lumps out
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 11th Oct 17, 12:03 PM
    • 26,106 Posts
    • 105,821 Thanks
    candygirl
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b098smnx
    Jusr a quickie as i'm dashing out.One of tbe kids in tbis is in my Grandaughter's class .Should be interesting viewing tonight
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 11th Oct 17, 3:43 PM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 9,821 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Looking at all the 'breadcrumbs' can someone answer my query.

I love the crispy breadcrumb covering on frozen fish and also the breadcrumb covering on chicken fillets found in the chiller cabinates of the supermarkets but I can never get mine to be that crispy and still juicy - any ideas?
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 352.33/300 Oct 266.36/310 Nov 153.48/300 Non food/alcohol Oct 24.30/Nov 28.49
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Oct 17, 10:06 AM
    • 15,627 Posts
    • 127,680 Thanks
    JackieO
    Morning all and Friday 13th today so almost half way through the month already

I dug out a couple of chicken thighs last night from the freezer and used up the last of my sweetheart cabbage, and made some mashed potatoes .The chicken I had some cajun spice to sprinkle over it and wrapped in foil and chucked into the remoska to cook .Very nice and filling and had some diced red grapes with yogurt on top for pudding.

I am out tonight so I will make my dinner for lunchtime, and I will have a couple of sausages which some left over mash from last night (I always make extra for the next day ) and half a tin of beans.The other half tin of beans I will have for tomorrows lunch in a jacket potato with some cheese sprinkled on top.Tomorrow nights dinner has yet to be dug out of my freezer .I did well in my first shop of October yesterday as our new Aldi has opened, and I did my 'big' shop there and spent just a smidgen over £26 which leaves me £33.90 in my food budget purse for the rest of October .Just starting to get a little bit of wriggle room in my freezer but its long slow task and I am looking forward to seeing it empty so I can defrost it.

I also made some spicy celery soup with the bendy celery at the bottom of the fridge, chucked in a lonely looking carrot from the veg drawer as well.Now I have just a round cabbage in there and some potatoes in the veg bag.I forgot to but more spuds yesterday but I have quite a bit of stuff in the freezer to use up so I will work my meals around what I have in stock rather than go out for more shopping I am hoping that I have enough at the moment in stock to get me through until around 24th at least

Lots of salady bits to use up and quite a bit of veg already frozen so I shan't starve

Sunday morning will be baking morning as my tins are getting rather bare of cake and biscuits
    Only one more week and then my DGS break up from school so I shall need to have full tins for them all

Hope you all have a good weekend and the sun shines down on your washing

Take care

JackieO xxx
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 13th Oct 17, 10:28 AM
    • 26,106 Posts
    • 105,821 Thanks
    candygirl
    Well there were no surprises for me on Eat Well For Less this week! Suffice it to say, that the empty cupboards said it all!!!!
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

959Posts Today

5,754Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin