Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    • 15,391Posts
    • 125,380Thanks
    JackieO
    Love Food, Hate Waste
    • 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    Love Food, Hate Waste 27th Feb 17 at 4:33 PM
    I have been surfing around the internet this afternoon and found a site about Stop Wasting Food I think had quite a good idea ,in that instead of restricting ourselves from certain stuff during Lent perhaps it would be better to limit the over buying, and use up the initial stuff we already have .There is apparently a Russian young lady who seemingly has reduced the amount that Dennmark wastes by changing peoples out look in the supermarkets, and they have significantly reduced the amount of stuff being binned into landfill

Now to me that seems like a pretty good idea. The supermarkets have reduced amounts binned by instead of offering BOGOFFs they have reduced single purchases so its more economical to buy less. Doesn't sound like a bad idea ,I can understand people buying large amounts if they have larger families, but how often have we all been swayed by BOGOFFs,myself included. What do you all think ?

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

If you like this you might also like our ZeroWaste and Recycle Week discussions.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 02-10-2017 at 12:49 PM.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
Page 70
    • Floss
    • By Floss 5th Oct 17, 10:22 PM
    • 3,926 Posts
    • 31,690 Thanks
    Floss
    thriftwizard chutney!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 6th Oct 17, 8:43 AM
    • 15,391 Posts
    • 125,380 Thanks
    JackieO
    Starting to get some 'wriggle room ' in my freezer and unearthing unlabelled objects to eat for dinner tonight and tomorrow Tonight (I think ) its some sort of fish,Its so frozen I can't get the foil off yet Freezer stuff is going very slowly but at least its going Definitely no shopping until next Thursday when hopefully at last the new Aldi's will open up. Managing very well on stuff in stock so as yet 6 NSDs this month so far I too am using up odds and ends as much as possible Last of the leek and potato soup for lunch today and tomorrow I will use up the celery at the bottom of the fridge to make next weeks soup. Just spotted a budget buster lentil soup on the Love food ,Hate waste website that will be my other go-to soup next week as well as I have about a pound and a half left of red lentils in my store cupboard left over from the huge bag I bought months ago which had been reduced because summer was on the way I split the bag between myself and one of my friends and my DGS at Uni,(he eats a good amount of lentils and rice to pad out his maintenance grant ) I always buy him various sauces as when he is broke and short of cash he will make a pot of rice for himself and his housemates and flavour it with either sweet chilli or teriyaki or even just a good dollop of curry sauce and it will feed his pals and himself when its getting near the end of term and they are all broke He is pretty good at making 'bean burgers ' as well.I'm glad I don't live in their student house
    Last edited by JackieO; 07-10-2017 at 9:08 AM.
    • maryb
    • By maryb 6th Oct 17, 12:08 PM
    • 3,399 Posts
    • 40,313 Thanks
    maryb
    Bean burgers, lol Reminds me of the scene from Blazing Saddles
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 6th Oct 17, 3:33 PM
    • 1,204 Posts
    • 9,377 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    We are away this weekend (Disneyland with DD - it was her 21st birthday present. She's so excited, you'd think it was her 5th birthday ). So next Monday, it's time to do a big shop and get some meals back in the freezers...
    Originally posted by VJsmum
    "Memories", things you will remember for life

I've been banned from driving and carrying heavy things for a couple of days so at least that will stop me going shopping and help to get my fridge stocks down lower. What I mustn't do when I restock to just fill the space - that's the hardest thing.
    Last edited by zafiro1984; 06-10-2017 at 3:37 PM.
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 352.33/300 Oct 266.36/310 Non food/alcohol £24.30
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 6th Oct 17, 5:44 PM
    • 293 Posts
    • 3,737 Thanks
    YorksLass
    He is pretty good at making 'bean burgers ' as well.I'm glad I don't live in their student house
    Originally posted by JackieO

I've been banned from driving and carrying heavy things for a couple of days so at least that will stop me going shopping and help to get my fridge stocks down lower. What I mustn't do when I restock to just fill the space - that's the hardest thing.
    Originally posted by zafiro1984
    My ambition is to have a freezer that's completely empty so I can start again but somehow I can't see it happening for a l-o-n-g time!

Usual Friday shop today and stuck to the list. Tbh, I was a bit early in the day for any YS bargains; there were a few but nothing I needed/wanted so that did me a favour. I also used a basket instead of a trolley and by 'eck, that really concentrates the mind on not buying too much! I also managed to walk past the aisle with the cooking sauces, even though I knew there were some on offer. How's that for determination?

I've bought a small pot of soured cream so I can make my own dips this weekend for us to have with breadsticks (essential for Sunday evening TV viewing). I'll do sour cream & chives, curry and sweet chilli so there's a selection.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Oct GC: £200 - £111.94 = £88.06 / 14/35 NSDs
    Sep +£42.85 Aug +£84.62 July +£7.98 June -£3.13 May +£10.37

• CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 6th Oct 17, 6:22 PM
    • 2,563 Posts
    • 26,429 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    The House Troll made a pineapple upside down cake at school today. I promise you all faithfully that none of it will be wasted
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 7th Oct 17, 9:12 AM
    • 15,391 Posts
    • 125,380 Thanks
    JackieO
    Go Cranky its a toughie but someone has to help out .
    Soup making this morning plus I want to make some of twinks biscuits as I seem to have cornered the market in north Kent for oats (if I saw a pack at a good price in the summer I snaffled them
    Have a good day chums and hang on to your h'pennies

JackieO xx
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 7th Oct 17, 9:43 AM
    • 2,563 Posts
    • 26,429 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    His technology lessons are a wonderful thing Jackie. I pay a set amount at the start of the year and instead of having to faff around to find him his ingredients the school supply them. So far I've had vegetable chow mein (that was my evening meal the day after I fell downstairs and I was very grateful for it), cinnamon and raisin muffins, pork and apple sausage rolls and the pineapple upside down cake. Technology day is a happy day here

We love Twinks's hob nobs. I had a visitor a while back that wasn't going to try them but when he did he couldn't believe how lovely they were and so I send him some every now and then. They travel fairly well in the post which is also impressive.

I have three courgettes in the fridge which I am going to make into soup bags for the freezer. One courgette, one sliced onion in each bag. The recipe is one courgette, once sliced onion, one veg stock cube, one pint of water. When the soup is cooked you add a small amount of garlic soft cheese and blend it. I also fancy the budget lentil soup that you referred to yesterday. So many soup recipes, so little time

I'm going to do a bit of cleaning today as well as some cooking. The house is a midden and I need to accept that the injury to my leg is going to be a long term thing and start cracking on with normal life even if things take a little longer than usual.
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 7th Oct 17, 1:24 PM
    • 2,453 Posts
    • 30,416 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Bean dilemma solved; I spent some of the morning shelling them & making a large Moroccan-style bean tagine, adding onions, garlic, sweet potato, quince and courgette with the usual spice mix. Don't know what it'll taste like but it smells good! The pods have gone for compost. I did save some for seed next year, too.

Next dilemma: 5 giant - and I do mean giant - organic pumpkins...
    Angie

GC Oct17 £348.79/£430

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • Floss
    • By Floss 7th Oct 17, 2:30 PM
    • 3,926 Posts
    • 31,690 Thanks
    Floss
    thriftwizard advice on my allotment site is to leave them a while in a shed or garage if possible before using one as they taste better when a little more mature I would suggest soup, pie, pasta, roasted....
    • crazytree
    • By crazytree 7th Oct 17, 4:36 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 481 Thanks
    crazytree
    Didn't have enough spuds to do the cheese and potato pie we'd planned. Himself did well and decided on ham egg and chips instead. That used up the last of the spuds, the last of the ham and four eggs (yay!) I'm proud of him!!!
    Just used leftover puff pastry to make a tart with remaining creme fraiche and two handfuls of frozen blueberries. I'm expecting a soggy bottom, but it should taste good!
    Making leek and potato soup tomorrow now I've bought some more spuds, that'll use up leftover leeks from a pie we had earlier in the week.
    Doing quite well this week, long may it last...
    T
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 7th Oct 17, 6:26 PM
    • 293 Posts
    • 3,737 Thanks
    YorksLass
    His technology lessons are a wonderful thing Jackie. I pay a set amount at the start of the year and instead of having to faff around to find him his ingredients the school supply them. So far I've had vegetable chow mein (that was my evening meal the day after I fell downstairs and I was very grateful for it), cinnamon and raisin muffins, pork and apple sausage rolls and the pineapple upside down cake. Technology day is a happy day here
    Originally posted by CRANKY40
    I wish that system had been in place when mine were at school; a much better idea than hearing the night before the wail of "I need so and so" for tomorrow The things your son has brought home so far sound really good too, so well done to him.

Chicken soup made this morning from hm stock, meat pickings and bits of veg (onion, carrot, orange pepper, broccoli stalks, mushrooms; enough to do us for a couple of lunchtimes. Remaining celery chopped and frozen. Dips made for tomorrow. Four of the pork steaks I bought yesterday now individually wrapped and frozen; we'll have the other two for dinner tomorrow.

Have just realised, the butter I bought yesterday has gone up - AGAIN!! This is the 3rd time in 12 months and I'm now paying £2.90 for 500g - and this is Sainsbobs own. I've already switched down to an acceptable substitute of veg fat/buttermilk spread for baking, frying, mashed spuds - £1.10/500g or £2.00/kg - but we really do like butter on bread and toast. Now looking to see if it would be worthwhile for me to travel further afield every now and again to the likes of Lidl or Aldi. No car, so it would have to be by bus (but do have a bus pass so no additional cost) and would any savings make up for the extra time it would take. Mmm, shall ponder on it.

Have a good (and frugal) weekend everyone.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Oct GC: £200 - £111.94 = £88.06 / 14/35 NSDs
    Sep +£42.85 Aug +£84.62 July +£7.98 June -£3.13 May +£10.37

• maryb
    • By maryb 7th Oct 17, 8:11 PM
    • 3,399 Posts
    • 40,313 Thanks
    maryb
    When I was in Sainsbugs on Friday they were selling off Anchor unsalted for 88p but when I got home it was still showing on mysupermarket as £1.79 so it may have been a manager's special
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • FrugalWorker
    • By FrugalWorker 7th Oct 17, 8:51 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    FrugalWorker
    Hi all,

Thanks for the welcome. Not forgotten to try and keep waste to a minimum, just not been on here.

I did have to throw out a tablespoon of home made hummus that was way past its best, a bit of salad (though a good chunk of it was saved). I've some rhubarb to rescue from the garden, I'll get to it tomorrow.

Got some advocado prepped up, a kohlrabi chopped (I eat it instead of an apple), prepped up a half melon, butternut squash soup made. I've the makings of a veg curry + tray bake to make up tomorrow. I do far better eating healthy food if its prepped up ready for me to just eat!

I've enough food in to make dinner for myself + OH for the week - or at least most of the week, I tend to go to the market on Wed/Thur as well, so can grab anything else I need.

I never realised cauliflower leaves could be eaten! Thanks for the the heads up.

@ Jackyann, yes, I even have the netting out to make more bags! I've been using glass jars for the most part for dry goods, but they're heavy lugging around. I'll go and dig out the sewing machine now!

Oh, @ YorksLass, you made spice carrot pickle!!! I was going to ask for the recipe, kept reading and there it was! Thanks

@Crazytree - Any chance you could swap eggs with produce from someone who has an allotment? you could get carrots or spuds and they would get eggs?

Have a good weekend all!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 8th Oct 17, 9:23 AM
    • 15,391 Posts
    • 125,380 Thanks
    JackieO
    Isn't is great how we are all making the most of every scrap of food that we can.
    OK there may only be a few of us, but mighty oaks from little acorns etc
    Yesterday I steamed a mix of a quarter of a broccoli head and a quarter of my sweetheart cabbage to have with my dinner I discovered that the bit of chicken I defrosted wasn't very big so I undid the packet of cooking Bacon bits that were in the fridge I had bought the previous week.
    Managed to get enough scraps to wrap the chicken breast in, so they went into the remoska to cook. Two balls of mash from the freezer completed the meal.When opening the bacon up I realised that it was two very thick bacon chops and a few scraps so one of them will be for lunch today with some scrambled eggs the other one ended up wrapped and frozen for a meal next week.I though what I can do with it is defrost it and cut into strips then if I cook up some cabbage and onion I can mix the cooked bacon strip in with it as a sort of bacony bubble and squeak.

There were two really thick bacon chops .Its pot luck when you buy a pack of cooking bacon whether it will be thin slivers of bacon or chunky bits, but at 61p for a pack the contents will do me two hearty meals plus the left over bits went around my chicken breast so a pretty good buy I think. Dinner at DD tonight so no cooking for me ,but I have made her a lemon meringue pie for pudding which is my contribution.

Hope you all have a good sunday

Cheers chums

JackieO xxx
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 8th Oct 17, 5:55 PM
    • 908 Posts
    • 17,451 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    Still here and frugalling onward!
    Hiya All

Sorry to have been away a while.'DIL' 's Mum and Nan 'popped down ' to Cornwall for a visit!!! While it was nice to see them the ensuing chaos was hard to bear - especially as I changed the meal plan for them and bought a few extra bits (they dont do foreign except for Chinese and dont eat garlic!) but they would then txt to say theyd eaten at lunchtime when they were out! Grrr!

Turns out they thought they were causing me less work as their kinda cooking is chicken nuggetts which can be left in freezer or cooked in minutes. Mine is usually interesting (and cheap) tagines; risottos; dhals; pasta bakes; slowly cooked bolognaises/chillis etc. Lunches are HM soups and salads and sometimes sanis!

Anyway all resolved and they now realise that cooking for me is a pleasure and not a great expense!

Yorks Lass and Jackie O thanks for recipies. I have gained a reputation for HM Cmas pressys so those two are ones I havent done before - will defo give em a try.

Chez nous we are still meal planning and eating from Lidil's offers! So today on offer (only over the weekend) was dried Apricots - DS1 got v exicted when I bought them home asking what did I intend to do with them? Apricot filled (as in a fruit filling between two layers of) flapjack is one use and the other is to be diced in with cuscus (flavoured with Ras El Hanut I bought at Royal Cornwall Show back in the summer.

So this week (Thursday - Thursday) we have eaten: Potato Bake (garlic was on offer) with bacon scrapps fried and put into it (bacon was on offer); BBQ Pulled pork with wedges and coleslaw (pork on offer); Dahl; Mushroom risotto (mushrooms on offer);Tuna pasta bake (from stores);Perogi and fried rice (Perogi on offer again - YUM - please excuse of spelling is wrong); Butternut Squash Soup and HM foccacia; And then it'll be a 'Something with puy lentils'. Pudding this week has been lemon cake which used some HM lemon curd and then plum/nectarine/apple crumble with hm custard! The cost of this feast was £36 for 3 adults + a child which will often eat as much as an adult We also have two large dogs but we didnt need dog food this week (its a 10kg bag about once a fortnight) This included 4 packs of special jaffa cakes (strawberry and cherry flavours - yum yum); a bag of continental nugat cubes; and a pack of wafers (or as I call em 'Naked KitKats' )

All food here is non waste - I always use stalks of brocoli and cauliflower and mushrooms. But I used to work in catering and the customers always got just the heads of these veg - but the soups they paid about £5 - £10 for and the pates were always padded out with the stalks - if not actually made from just the stalks . (sorry shouldn't laugh I suppose but a lot of what you see front of house is a bit of a con!)
    Will be back more often now I promise!
    Evening all!
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22)
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 8th Oct 17, 7:43 PM
    • 923 Posts
    • 21,547 Thanks
    MMF007
    Oh, lovely recipes and ideas Folks!
    After a long drive home today it was a freezer dive for us. Out came a few Indian-style snacks (onion bhajis, samosas ), and some HM carrot n butternut squash soup. Very nice

We have a hectic week ahead, including an art lesson for me all day Thursday , so I need to plan evening meals before shopping in my lunchtime tomorrow. Am back to low carbing as well, so will factor this in.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • Datchet
    • By Datchet 8th Oct 17, 7:45 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 279 Thanks
    Datchet
    "HARD-CORE" No food waste Practices ( no pun intended)
    Hello Fellow Thrifty-Wits!
    I've been thinking about this for a while. Yes I really am that tragic.
    What are your extreme No-Food-Waste habits?
    Here are some of ours:
    1. Zap dodgy soft fruit in microwave to kill/neutralise mould, bacteria or itinerant bugs. ( I hope...)
    2. Don't peel sprouts!
    3. (Or potatoes, carrots or swede)
    4. All peelings, cores and tops into the Hotbin digester. Yes, they're a tad pricy and require a lot of effort - but they prevent rats and you can set up a bean trench with the compost.
    5. All old veg is boiled to death -souped, frozen in screw-capped food containers & taken to work for lunch.
    6. Spare Apples, plumbs, rhubarb is stewed & for breakfasts.
    7. All windfalls go to animal shelter. The end product goes back on veg plot
    8.Compost rots much quicker if ammonia is added. Can you you see where I'm 'going' with this? Oui Oui Monsieur

Please - anything I'm missing?
    "Is it that the future is so uncertain, the present so traumatic that we find the past so secure? " Spike Milligan
    • northwest1965
    • By northwest1965 9th Oct 17, 7:45 AM
    • 1,740 Posts
    • 4,601 Thanks
    northwest1965
    I have lots of chillies, what is the best way to preserve? Open freeze?
    Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!
    • maryb
    • By maryb 9th Oct 17, 9:23 AM
    • 3,399 Posts
    • 40,313 Thanks
    maryb
    I always freeze chillies whole, you can chop them while still frozen
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

56Posts Today

3,428Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin