Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    • 15,254Posts
    • 123,947Thanks
    JackieO
    Love Food, Hate Waste
    • 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    Love Food, Hate Waste 27th Feb 17 at 4:33 PM
    I have been surfing around the internet this afternoon and found a site about Stop Wasting Food I think had quite a good idea ,in that instead of restricting ourselves from certain stuff during Lent perhaps it would be better to limit the over buying, and use up the initial stuff we already have .There is apparently a Russian young lady who seemingly has reduced the amount that Dennmark wastes by changing peoples out look in the supermarkets, and they have significantly reduced the amount of stuff being binned into landfill

Now to me that seems like a pretty good idea. The supermarkets have reduced amounts binned by instead of offering BOGOFFs they have reduced single purchases so its more economical to buy less. Doesn't sound like a bad idea ,I can understand people buying large amounts if they have larger families, but how often have we all been swayed by BOGOFFs,myself included. What do you all think ?

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 13-09-2017 at 9:14 AM.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
Page 7
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 10th Mar 17, 8:57 AM
    • 2,241 Posts
    • 32,839 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Jackie - I've worked in all 3 over my time Please feel free to remove my post as it is off topic and I would hate to spoil a lovely and helpful thread x

I am doing a fridge/freezer audit today and will meal plan around that.

Youngest will be spending some nights at home as he is still doing 3 days at Uni, and working here for 3 days, he needs the money and will take him through to September, but he will get free ferry travel too - bonus.. but will impact my food budget, hence the rejiggle - he eats like a horse
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

Sept GC £250/£0.00
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 10th Mar 17, 5:09 PM
    • 15,254 Posts
    • 123,947 Thanks
    JackieO
    Its not a problem Islandmaid I like to hear how folk are getting on.My youngest DD is hoping for us all to go down for a few days before Easter to the IoW, even more reason to spend less and use up more from stocks

JackieO xx
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 10th Mar 17, 6:44 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 3,252 Thanks
    YorksLass
    The Love Food, Hate Waste is going well here. Today I would normally have gone grocery shopping but last night when I checked the food stocks I decided it was definitely a no-go. In the way of fresh food we have:

Dairy: Milk, butter, a bit of marg, a full tub of olive spread, cheese (Cheddar, white Cheshire, halloumi), a dozen eggs

Veg: Potatoes, onions, carrots, a swede, half a cauliflower, some broccoli, mushrooms, celery

Fruit: Grapes, one banana, one apple

Salad: Lettuce, tomatoes, spring onions, cucumber

Meat: Only one unopened pack of bacon plus a couple of rashers in a box (but there is a lot of meat in the freezer) and a small piece of black pudding

Misc: 3 caramel crème desserts

And this is before I mention the freezer stock of meat/fish/pasties/pies/veg/desserts, hm ready meals as well as tinned/dried foodstuffs, baking ingredients and lots (probably too many) of jars of pickles, chutneys and jam/marmalade!

I honestly can’t believe there is so much (for two of us) and can see this challenge going on for way, way longer than Lent. I do make my own bread but I’ve also decided that if we need anything in the way of cakes, biscuits, scones etc they will be home baked rather than shop-bought. After all, I have the ingredients so why not use them?

On the subject of caddies for food waste, does anyone remember the “pig bins” used during WW2 to collect food scraps? Given that housewives were extremely resourceful with their meagre rations, I think they must have been very thin, hungry pigs!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Sep GC: £160 - £108.22 = £51.78 NSDs 15/28
    Aug GC: £200 - £115.38 = £84.62 NSDs 28/35 July GC +£7.98 June GC -£3.13 May GC +£10.37

• Floss
    • By Floss 10th Mar 17, 6:51 PM
    • 3,840 Posts
    • 30,660 Thanks
    Floss
    ...On the subject of caddies for food waste, does anyone remember the “pig bins” used during WW2 to collect food scraps? Given that housewives were extremely resourceful with their meagre rations, I think they must have been very thin, hungry pigs!
    Originally posted by YorksLass
    Not really, pigs were fed anything then (unlike now), and from more than one household - families, neighbours & workplaces had pig clubs - the % share of the investment was returned in an equal % of meat, brawn, bacon, ham, lard etc at slaughter. Has anyone seen "A Private Function" with Michael Palin & Maggie Smith?

Also who can remember the pig bins in the kitchen at school? I used to see them well into to being at high school second half of the 1970's.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 11th Mar 17, 10:21 AM
    • 15,254 Posts
    • 123,947 Thanks
    JackieO
    My late Ma-in-law and her second OH had a couple of pigs that they kept in their garden during WW2along with a dozen hens.The locals in Northwood where they lived would drop off stuff 'for the pigs' and everyone who donated got a share when it as slaughtered. She kept a pig right up to the early 1980s in her garden She did have just under an acre which was laid out to fruit, veg ,chickens and the pig in his sty at the bottom of the garden.

When her house was eventually sold in 2001 the garden was developed and now is Wyatts Close in Northwood IoW and holds a dozen houses.The house on the plot that she lived in since 1937 was originally two houses knocked into one and still stands today although with a tinier garden than it used to have.

Yorkslass you are doing brilliantly with your use-it-up-first I am just about to go out to buy my first shop of the month and hopefully I will just buy the few things on my ist .

Last night I went to a Big Quiz night and along with everything else there was a small buffet on each table, far too much for most of us ,and I was donated the left overs I came home with a packet of digestives, a packet of hob nobs, 5 packets of crisps one complete large pack of organic baby tomato's a couple of clementines, and a complete pack of cadburys tiny chocolate covered swiss rolls No one else wanted to take them and the chap said they would be binned.Not one to see food wasted I brought them home and the swiss rolls will go to my DGS tomorrow for a trea and the biscuits will probably end up there as well at some point as they don't often have shop bought biscuits as I make them .
    The organic tomatos I will probably use some in a quiche later today as I have a packet of cooking bacon in the fridge unopened and I can easily make up some shortcrust pastry and bake it 'blind' for the case.

On my shooping list is mainly salad stuff and some veg required and I may buy some eggs for baking with so fingers crossed the shopping will not amount to much I have promised to go to the church coffee morning afterwards so I shall sort my shopping out then relax with a cuppa and maybe a bit of HM gingerbread as one of the ladies makes really nice g'bread then home to do some baking this afternoon and sort out something from the freezer for dinner tonight

I am so pleased that people are seeing how much a difference its making by cutting back a little on buying stuff.

My DD rang this morning and has managed to find us a caravan for four days on our beloved IoW just before Easter and the boys know nothing about it, so she has arranged to have the week before Easter off as a treat for them. So definitely less to buy for this month as I will be away at the beginning of April and also I am away for a week in the third week with my friend.

Onwards and upwards chums

JackieO xx
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 11th Mar 17, 12:42 PM
    • 15,254 Posts
    • 123,947 Thanks
    JackieO
    Yay back from my coffee morning and very pleased with what I bought

two little gem lettuce 55p
    one cucumber 50p
    one pack of salad tomato's 69p
    one reduced cauliflower 44p
    one pack of three leeks 60p
    one pack of 10 large eggs 1.00

total spent in food £3.78 enough essentials to keep me going for the next week.

I bought the salad tomato's as I am going to use up my freebie toms from last night in a quiche and a salad today They were only the tiny ones.

Out of my 'happy cash stash ' which buys my treats I had at the local church coffee morning two cups of coffee plus a nice piece of gingerbread cake , cost was £2.00 which was my treat of the week

As I was coming away home, it was closing, and one of the ladies gave me a box and said I'm sure you can find a use for this or it will be binned and inside was a large cheese scone and a slice of coffee and walnut cake and a slice of chocolate and walnut cake, some of this will be used at lunchtime.

The scone with some soup which I am making at the moment with my reduced leeks and some left over peeled spuds from the fridge, and a slice of cake afterwards with my cuppa mid-afternoon

The other slice of cake will be with my elevenses tomorrow morning, I am happy to have rescued them from the bin this morning and it was just left overs from the coffee morning and some of the other ladies took some as well rather than waste them

Off to make my quiche now I will root around in the freezer as I think I have some left over pastry in there that will be used up first if possible
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 11th Mar 17, 5:02 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 3,252 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Also who can remember the pig bins in the kitchen at school?
    Originally posted by Floss
    Yes, I can. I started primary school in 1954 and stayed for school dinners which, on the whole, I quite liked. I think they used to cost 6d (2 ½ p) per day. I can also remember the all-pervading smell of (over) boiled cabbage – even if it wasn’t cabbage on the menu - and the mountains of raw veg (white cabbage, carrots, beetroot etc) that appeared on the plates. To this day I can’t get my head or taste buds around completely raw veg! If pushed, I can just about manage coleslaw but do like veg in stir-fries where they still have a bit of “bite” to them.

My late Ma-in-law and her second OH had a couple of pigs that they kept in their garden during WW2 along with a dozen hens.
    Originally posted by JackieO
    When I was a little girl, we used to get gooseberries and fresh eggs from an elderly gentleman who lived next door and who kept hens at the bottom of his garden. I would often help him look for and collect the eggs, although I’m not sure if I would like to be so near them now! My DH remembers preferring dried eggs, even though his grandfather, another one who kept hens, would always pass on his surplus of fresh ones. My late father, who wasn’t really into flower growing, grew lots of veg and we never went short of strawberries during the summer. I still prefer English or Scottish strawberries to the foreign imported ones. I think we were used to eating seasonally and have become spoiled with today’s choices.

Jackie – Well done on sticking to your shopping list and on your freebie leftovers from the Big Quiz and church coffee morning. A lovely bonus for you and so nice that you share them with your family.

I was going to make my last banana into ice cream today but instead had it for breakfast this morning, mashed and served on wholemeal toast with a sprinkling of nutmeg. The last apple is going in tonight’s beef curry, so that will only leave the grapes but I do have tinned fruit if needs be.

I’ve got the SC on now, filled with diced chicken thighs, an assortment of veg, green lentils and pearl barley, and have used up one of the many packet casserole mixes too. That will make dinner for tomorrow plus two hm ready meals to go back in the freezer.

Tomorrow I’ll be working on next week’s meal plan to incorporate as much as possible of the remaining fresh foods. I seem to have rather a lot of carrots so I think I’ll make a batch of carrot & swede mash and some kind of soup.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Aug GC: £200 - £115.38 = £84.62 NSDs 28/35 July GC +£7.98 June GC -£3.13 May GC +£10.37

• JackieO
    • By JackieO 12th Mar 17, 9:58 AM
    • 15,254 Posts
    • 123,947 Thanks
    JackieO
    Yorkslass well done on streetching your things out and using up what you have .really its only going back to how I lived back in 1962 when I got married .
    I still have a recipe book called cooking for two which I bought as a very young wife of 19 for 2/6d from Woolworths .

I can remember sitting reading it on the train going to work and being completely hooked on the idea of feeding my new OH the sort of food his mum cooked for him. luckily I didn't as she tended to fill him up with a lot of pies and puddings of the steak and kidney variety, and I wanted to branch out and try something exotic like a 'curry' which was rare to see and I had a bit of a job finding the right spices even though we lived in London. I think the first chinese take away we ever bought was in 1971 few take aways back then apart from fish and chip shops and we rarely bought from those as we were too broke

Today is day 12 and with my total spend so far this month being £3.78 I am really pleased and using up as much as I can from my silly amount of stuff indoors . well done on using up a casserole mix I am going to shortly delve into the frozen depths of my freezer and see what I can drag out to make ,possibly I think I am sure there is some diced beef in there so if I rescue it and leave it in the fridge by tonight when I come home from Dds I can make up some dried mix from my stash and chuck it into the slow cooker as well and cook it overnight for tomorrow .I know there is a stew pack of veg in there that I can use up as well and also some ice cubes of left over red wine in a small bag at the bottom so beef bourguignon sound a likely candidate for the next couple of days. I am determined to shift this stuff in the freezer if nothing else.

My DD had managed to get a large caravan for several days in April for herself and the family and me,so a bit of my tinned stash will go with us to be used up

I keep looking in the cupboards and finding bits I had forgotten were there and just pushed to the back so now I am hoping this will incentivise me to get them used up

The freebies' cheese scone and bit of cake went down very well yesterday and I have one piece of cake left for elevenses today The shop bought biscuits will got to DDs later today for the boys as I always go there to Sunday dinner every week.

Onwards and upwards I am really enjoying myself and its not a hardship at all really

JackieO xx
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 12th Mar 17, 7:10 PM
    • 15,254 Posts
    • 123,947 Thanks
    JackieO
    Only trouble with that is I don't eat either bread nor butter and havn't for over two years. I agree I am fortunate that I have quite a full social life but I still make around 4-5 dinners per week at home. Breakfasts are easy usually cereal or porridge depending on the weather, lunches are normally home made soup, cheese crackers and a piece of fruit and dinners vary but usually have meat or fish as their basis with a lot of veg to top them up
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Mar 17, 7:46 AM
    • 15,254 Posts
    • 123,947 Thanks
    JackieO
    Another easy day today on Day 13.

Breakfast will be scrambled egg and two crackers ,lunch is leek and potato soup that I made on Saturday. Dinner tonight is LO from last night's dinner at DDs
    I came home with a plate with three roast potatoes and three slices of roast beef and a small yorkshire pudding on it I will top that up with some steamed cauliflower from the Y/S one I bought on Saturday morning and make up some gravy. Zapped in the microwave it will more than do me for dinner tonight. I have some rice pudding that I made yesterday in the fridge and will have some with the last of the greek yogurt in the fridge for pudding.Another NSD today for me
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 14th Mar 17, 7:05 AM
    • 15,254 Posts
    • 123,947 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good morning chums and Day 14 of my aim to reduce food stuff indoors rather than buy more during Lent

Tonight I am out at quiz night as usual so no cooking for me ,lunch will be something salady I think as the sun is up already,probably I'll open a tin of tuna from my stash and mix with a small tin of sweetcorn and some of my chilli flavoured mayo from the fridge.The rest of the tin will do for tomorrow's lunch on a jacket potato so two days lunches sorted out

I am looking forward to seeing my cupboard reduce and my purse increase Sounds like a good deal to me ,almost halfway through the month already

Onwards and upwards chums

JackieO xx
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 14th Mar 17, 6:21 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 3,252 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Day 14
    Have still not spent anything on groceries since my last post by continuing to use up what we have in stock.

Sunday: Breakfast – cereal with dried apricots soaked overnight; Lunch – buttered fruit teacake with Cheshire cheese; Dinner – chicken casserole (made on Saturday in sc, half back in freezer for another day), cauliflower, broccoli, mash and a slice of mandarin cheesecake for pud.

Monday: Breakfast – Porridge, toast & marmalade; Lunch – buttered fruit scones topped with cherry conserve; Dinner – beef & veg stir-fry with noodles (used up a stir-fry sauce for this) and crème caramel for pud.

Today: Breakfast – boiled eggs, brown bread; Lunch – sausage roll, side salad; Dinner – Cornish pasty, peas, mash and ice cream for pud.

When I posted my stock list of packet sauces, rice etc I had forgotten about the noodles; they are now down to 3 packets – which is enough for 18 portions so I definitely won’t be buying any more for quite some time!

On my shopping list on the fridge door I’ve listed some items that have either been used up or are getting low but none of them is mega-urgent (more a reminder for when I do eventually go shopping) apart from teabags (I love my cuppas). Even they will last a bit longer as we’ve been having herbal tea mid-afternoon. And tonight I’ll be using up a freebie sachet of hot chocolate that I got some time ago, so that’s something else gone.

My purse must be thinking I don’t love it anymore!

• JackieO
    • By JackieO 14th Mar 17, 10:52 PM
    • 15,254 Posts
    • 123,947 Thanks
    JackieO
    We didn't win at quiz came third ,but the supper was a nice chicken pasta dish. I will be delving in the freezer in the morning for tomorrow nights dinner .I have half a fresh cauliflower in the fridge which I may steam along with some fish if I can find some that I like the look of I will be doing a top up back for the cake tins tomorrow as well I think.

Well done Yorkslass isn't it geat to not have to go near the shops for a change ,I'm getting a lot more accomplished indoors at the moment

Nothing on my shopping list at all for now

onwards and upwards chums

JackieO xx
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 15th Mar 17, 10:41 AM
    • 15,254 Posts
    • 123,947 Thanks
    JackieO
    Yay I found some salmon at the bottom of the freezer and also some frozen asparagus that I bought y/s before Christmas so that's tonight's dinner sorted along with some steamed cauliflower Now just have to forage for something for pudding I have a feeling I have a tin of fruit at the back of the cupboard that will do very nicely as a crumble with some custard probably more than enough for tomorrow nights pudding as well. All sorted, NSD for me again
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 15th Mar 17, 3:43 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 2,755 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    I did some good waste avoidance last night by making all my tired looking salad greens into pesto. I just whizzed it in the food processor with some cashews, garlic and oil and it was lovely. I usually shred tired salad and put it into soups but this made a nice change. It was a mild and creamy flavour that could be pepped up with some fresh herbs, lemon juice or maybe some chilli next time. Yum!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 16th Mar 17, 4:08 PM
    • 15,254 Posts
    • 123,947 Thanks
    JackieO
    Bangers and mash for dinner tonight with some veg from the freezer :,went to the U3A coordinators meeting and got chatting to a chap who grows lots of surplus veg and got him to agree to bringing it in to our monthly meetings in a box with a sign on saying' help yourself' as he says he just ends up composting his surplus. so a bit more fresh grown food getting into the food chain and it will help our members with a bit extra for free
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 16th Mar 17, 4:22 PM
    • 10,040 Posts
    • 24,728 Thanks
    suki1964
    I'm doing waste avoidance right now

Having guests I'm a bit skewed on portion sizes so the few left over roastie and roasted squash are bubbling away with some lentils, garlic, onion, veg bullion and the scraps of ham that broke off while slicing it last night

Free lunches for tomorrow
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 16th Mar 17, 4:27 PM
    • 25,676 Posts
    • 104,018 Thanks
    candygirl
    Not really, pigs were fed anything then (unlike now), and from more than one household - families, neighbours & workplaces had pig clubs - the % share of the investment was returned in an equal % of meat, brawn, bacon, ham, lard etc at slaughter. Has anyone seen "A Private Function" with Michael Palin & Maggie Smith?

Also who can remember the pig bins in the kitchen at school? I used to see them well into to being at high school second half of the 1970's.
    Originally posted by Floss
    The pigs in Goa eat Human waste! Thank God i'm a veggie
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 16th Mar 17, 5:01 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 3,252 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Day 16
    Ginmonster: Love your idea of whizzing up salad greens to make pesto. I must try this sometime.

got chatting to a chap who grows lots of surplus veg and got him to agree to bringing it in to our monthly meetings in a box with a sign on saying' help yourself' as he says he just ends up composting his surplus. So a bit more fresh grown food getting into the food chain
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Fab idea!

Wednesday: Breakfast - Bacon & mushroom in a breadcake; Lunch – Soup & crackers, chocolate wafer bar; Dinner - Cod fishcake, hm chips, mix of frozen peas & sweetcorn (no pud, full up)

Today: Breakfast – Porridge & toast; Lunch - Cheese & chutney sandwich, grapes; Dinner – Salad with ??? not decided yet, rice pud for afters (a tin found in cupboard)

I emptied the biscuit barrel this morning and crushed the broken bits with the rolling pin, then put them with the crumbs from the bottom of the barrel into my biscuit crumb jar. There will soon be enough in there to mix with melted butter to make a base for a cheesecake or lemon meringue.

Still no spends but I’ll be going for teabags and milk tomorrow, maybe some fruit as well. This is going to be a super-cheapy month!

• mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 16th Mar 17, 5:35 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 44,856 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    I did some good waste avoidance last night by making all my tired looking salad greens into pesto. I just whizzed it in the food processor with some cashews, garlic and oil and it was lovely. I usually shred tired salad and put it into soups but this made a nice change. It was a mild and creamy flavour that could be pepped up with some fresh herbs, lemon juice or maybe some chilli next time. Yum!
    Originally posted by Ginmonster

Jack Monroe has this recipe for kale pesto,
    hers is much cheaper than one involving cashews if you don't have them in.
    I've tried it with kale and it worked well.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

976Posts Today

9,151Users online

Martin's Twitter