Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    • 15,595Posts
    • 127,317Thanks
    JackieO
    Love Food, Hate Waste
    • 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    Love Food, Hate Waste 27th Feb 17 at 4:33 PM
    I have been surfing around the internet this afternoon and found a site about Stop Wasting Food I think had quite a good idea ,in that instead of restricting ourselves from certain stuff during Lent perhaps it would be better to limit the over buying, and use up the initial stuff we already have .There is apparently a Russian young lady who seemingly has reduced the amount that Dennmark wastes by changing peoples out look in the supermarkets, and they have significantly reduced the amount of stuff being binned into landfill

Now to me that seems like a pretty good idea. The supermarkets have reduced amounts binned by instead of offering BOGOFFs they have reduced single purchases so its more economical to buy less. Doesn't sound like a bad idea ,I can understand people buying large amounts if they have larger families, but how often have we all been swayed by BOGOFFs,myself included. What do you all think ?

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

If you like this you might also like our ZeroWaste and Recycle Week discussions.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 02-10-2017 at 12:49 PM.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
Page 69
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 3rd Oct 17, 7:39 PM
    • 2,739 Posts
    • 4,004 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    I'm actually becoming quite worried now as my cupboards and freezer have never looked so bare! I haven't done a "monthly" shop since June/July so have been using up what I have and topping up with fresh foods from the local Co-op.

Discounting my emergency stash in the campervan, I now only have 2x mackerel, 1x anchovies, 1x Heinz Veg Soup (been in there since 2006) and 1x chopped tomatoes in my tin cupboard. I've got around half a bag of basmati rice, half a bag of pasta and a pack of linguine in the pasta/noodle cupboard. I've never seen my cupboards so bare

Still have plenty of core ingredients and store cupboard staples for cooking (although a lot of it is now well past it's BB date) but I find I'm not replenishing them when I run out so even they are dwindling. Unless I suddenly decide to cook and need a specific item.

I seem to have lost my mojo for either cooking or eating. I found some fish in the bottom of a freezer drawer last night - smoked cod, basa fillets & a salmon fillet - so immediately thought FISH PIE!!

Decided to cook it for dinner tonight - although I needed to get potatoes, milk and butter - and was quite excited knowing it would make multiple portions to freeze, replenishing my "ready meal" stash which is almost extinct now.

Ok, so I've simmered the fish in milk; boiled spuds; made the sauce, etc - so, now I should be assembling the individual portions for the freezer, leaving some for dinner tonight. The fish is now back in the sauce and spuds mashed but I just don't have the energy to deal with it
    Last edited by Feral Moon; 03-10-2017 at 7:43 PM.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 3rd Oct 17, 8:00 PM
    • 2,646 Posts
    • 27,402 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Thanks for the recipe Jackie. It's funny seeing you list all the shops that Sittingbourne has now. When I lived just outside there many, many years ago (Milton Regis) I had a choice of two supermarkets - Sainsbury's or one other whose name escapes me that was even more expensive. The commute to London was awful, but the thing that made up for it all was being able to lie on the beach out on Sheppey and see the Milky Way.

My tea was lovely. I liberated a freebie pot of Tesco tarka dahl when I listed the freezer contents earlier and poured half of it (heated through) over some brown rice. I have the other half for tomorrow, yum. Not quite what you're meant to do with it but I had to go and have my leg re-dressed as an emergency so I had to be quick.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 3rd Oct 17, 8:50 PM
    • 4,891 Posts
    • 70,501 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Thanks for the recipe Jackie. It's funny seeing you list all the shops that Sittingbourne has now. When I lived just outside there many, many years ago (Milton Regis) I had a choice of two supermarkets - Sainsbury's or one other whose name escapes me that was even more expensive. The commute to London was awful, but the thing that made up for it all was being able to lie on the beach out on Sheppey and see the Milky Way.

My tea was lovely. I liberated a freebie pot of Tesco tarka dahl when I listed the freezer contents earlier and poured half of it (heated through) over some brown rice. I have the other half for tomorrow, yum. Not quite what you're meant to do with it but I had to go and have my leg re-dressed as an emergency so I had to be quick.
    Originally posted by CRANKY40
    Ooh, I am a Sheppey girl. Born and bred. Not quite the full swampy though as neither mum nor dad were born there. My auntie ran a pub in Milton Regis.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • t14cy t
    • By t14cy t 4th Oct 17, 8:07 AM
    • 644 Posts
    • 6,498 Thanks
    t14cy t
    we moved to the isle of Sheppey 2 years ago, away from cosy jobs and family and friends, best thing we did!! the people are so nice and friendly over here despite the bad press!! xx
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 4th Oct 17, 8:38 AM
    • 15,595 Posts
    • 127,317 Thanks
    JackieO
    I live in Rainham which is about 5 miles from Sittingbourne and I have the choice of there or Chatham !! (once in a blue moon ) or sometimes Maidstone (the parking is awful since the park and ride closed)I also have the Savacentre at Hempstead which is pretty good and easier to park.I normally pass the Milton Regis turning when driving to Sittingbourne and its a huge housing estate.I like Sittingbourne though and its still got a High Street which isn't full of litter or folk drinking from cans at 10.00 a.m. (unlike Chatham sadly). I am not a great lover of shopping so once I have bought my food shopping which is now about twice a month I am happy to stay away from shops.There is a small precinct near to me in Rainham (about 3 minutes ) which I can get stuff if I run out, but I only go rarely .I had a large advert through my door yesterday confirming the opening day for our new Aldi's on the business park about a mile away so I shall be there to do my first shop of the month a week tomorrow looking forward to seeing the new store ,it looks quite big from the road.

Glad the recipe helped cranky40 ,it really is such an easy one to do and children love them.

JackieO xx
    • Southern-Girl
    • By Southern-Girl 4th Oct 17, 9:52 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 501 Thanks
    Southern-Girl
    Used up the last of the mushrooms in the fridge (stalks included )
    Originally posted by JackieO
    This sentence intrigue's me! Do people not usually eat the stalks? I have always used all of the mushroom...........

• maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 4th Oct 17, 10:58 AM
    • 3,205 Posts
    • 28,176 Thanks
    maddiemay
    This sentence intrigue's me! Do people not usually eat the stalks? I have always used all of the mushroom...........
    Originally posted by Southern-Girl
    I always do too and my family always did when I was growing up
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 4th Oct 17, 12:01 PM
    • 4,891 Posts
    • 70,501 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Today we are eating what is probably the last of the french beans from the garden. There don't seem to be any more flowers and it's all getting very late in the day. They weren't a wild success, with only 4 plants taking. And they were late producing. The beans have been nice, though and we have had a few meals worth out of them.

We are also having some tender stemmed broccoli that needs using with sausages from the ever -giving but almost finished (meals-wise) freezer. i haven't done a full shop for about 3 weeks now...
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 4th Oct 17, 6:22 PM
    • 1,243 Posts
    • 9,803 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Decided to sort out a cupboard. Found quite a lot of almost empty packets with dried fruit in them plus apricots, and mixed peel. All were shriveled and dry so I boiled them up together with a little sugar and loads of mixed spice and surprisingly they sprang back into life.
    I knew I had a 'just passed it's use by date' filo pastry in the fridge which needed using up and I also had 10 scrawny bramble apples on the worktop so using the above I made 7 filo parcels to go into the freezer when they are cold.
    No shopping needed doing. Even the wood for the ironheart was free and I'll also cook tea in that. I'm really pleased 7 puddings with bits and pieces I already had.
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 352.33/300 Oct 266.36/310 Nov 153.48/300 Non food/alcohol Oct 24.30/Nov 28.49
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 4th Oct 17, 6:32 PM
    • 15,595 Posts
    • 127,317 Thanks
    JackieO
    zafiro well done on using up odds and ends, its great when that happens isn't it
    Re the mushroom stalks I too have always used them although I think amongst my friends I am the only one who does I will have a poll and see who else doesn't.One of my friends once told me she didn't like to in case a creepy crawly had crept up the stalk

I slice up the stalks of broccoli as well and freeze and chuck in the slow cooker when I am doing a casserole along with any other odds and ends of veg, can't see the point in wasting it

No cooking for me tonight as DD bought me a lovelylunch at a carvery today and I am absolutely stuffed to the gunnels

Cheers chums
    JackieO xx
    • Farway
    • By Farway 4th Oct 17, 6:53 PM
    • 5,719 Posts
    • 7,671 Thanks
    Farway
    Re the mushroom stalks I too have always used them although I think amongst my friends I am the only one who does I will have a poll and see who else doesn't.One of my friends once told me she didn't like to in case a creepy crawly had crept up the stalk

I slice up the stalks of broccoli as well and freeze and chuck in the slow cooker when I am doing a casserole along with any other odds and ends of veg, can't see the point in wasting it
    Originally posted by JackieO
    I always use mushroom stalks, I thought it was normal
    When I was in the RN I always remember the Officers got the tops and we got the stalks

But I admit to binning broccoli stalks, I used to snap them off before buying, seems everyone else did and SMs were left with a tray of stalks, hence shrink wrapping now, the swines
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 4th Oct 17, 6:57 PM
    • 26,088 Posts
    • 105,741 Thanks
    candygirl
    I always use mushroom stalks, I thought it was normal
    When I was in the RN I always remember the Officers got the tops and we got the stalks

But I admit to binning broccoli stalks, I used to snap them off before buying, seems everyone else did and SMs were left with a tray of stalks, hence shrink wrapping now, the swines
    Originally posted by Farway
    I just had cauli n broccoli cheese bake for tea, n left a bit of stalj on my broc.I need all the iron I can get
    Ps I use mushroom stalks too, thought it was normal ��
    :
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 5th Oct 17, 9:24 AM
    • 2,646 Posts
    • 27,402 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    I've always used mushroom stalks. I love mushrooms. Three guesses what I tested most allergic for when I had allergy blood tests at the doctors? So....first week over, freezer audit done, store cupboard audit still to do - I'll have to ask the HT to help me do the baking cupboard as I can't really kneel down at the moment. The tins and jars cupboard is above the kitchen counter so I can do that myself.

This week I spent £31.80 out of the £50 budget. I bought some things from Asda and some from Aldi. Some of the things that Aldi didn't have I knew would be cheaper in Home Bargains so I made the effort and went there too. A bit of a faff but as I can't really walk for long enough to do or carry a big shop it worked out fine. I do have another £20 that I budget every week for cat stuff but I carry that over for a couple of weeks and have a lot of food and litter delivered at once. That could change if I find the right kind of litter cheaper somewhere else.

It was very tempting to buy some of the goodies in Aldi simply because they weren't expensive. As I haven't been baking like I usually do I bought a 10 pack of scones for 49p (some for me, some for the freezer), a pack of ginger nuts for 25p and I bought the HT a box of mini brownies for 99p. I'll be making brownies myself this weekend though, come hell or high water. I have not had to throw anything away from this weeks shopping. I haven't counted anything bought before October as I did have a few things in the fridge that didn't get used up but when I bought them I didn't expect to be on antibiotics so off food, and I didn't expect to be struggling with cooking.

Jackie my first boyfriend lived in Lee Green which isn't that far from where you were yesterday. The world just keep on getting smaller I'm still amazed by how many people responded when I posted about Milton Regis and Sheppey
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 5th Oct 17, 10:16 AM
    • 18,937 Posts
    • 83,411 Thanks
    pipkin71
    I also use mushroom stalks. Mushrooms are one if my fabourite veggies.

I have been really busy lately so having to find a balance between work, home and rest. Feeling pretty exhausted atm but we are still keeping up with using what we have rather than the girls ordering take out because it's easier.
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 5th Oct 17, 12:42 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 2,100 Thanks
    purpleybat
    I also use the mushroom stalks, but sometimes they take a little extra cooking to the caps.
    broccoli stalk I think is the best bit, so when prepping it I eave as much of it on a possible. the stumpy thick stalk can be a little tough but great shredded and stir fried, or I chop and keep it in the freezer for soups and stews.
    for some reason I've always thought cauli leaves were poisonous, I have no idea where I got that idea from. these days I shred it to use as 'cabbage'. that way I can use the whole cauli so no waste.
    gc jan 148.59/150 feb 134.58/150 mar 148.35/160 apr 139.24/160 may 165.78/160 june 129.05/160 july 148.23/170 aug 163/170 sep 123.67/160 oct 151.56/160 nov 141.30/150
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 5th Oct 17, 1:51 PM
    • 4,891 Posts
    • 70,501 Thanks
    VJsmum
    My freezer has given up its last stored lasagne and either the last or penultimate fish pie. The lasagne is for DH tonight, the fish pie for me.

We are away this weekend (Disneyland with DD - it was her 21st birthday present. She's so excited, you'd think it was her 5th birthday ). So next Monday, it's time to do a big shop and get some meals back in the freezers...
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 5th Oct 17, 5:50 PM
    • 348 Posts
    • 4,336 Thanks
    YorksLass
    We are away this weekend (Disneyland with DD - it was her 21st birthday present. She's so excited, you'd think it was her 5th birthday ).
    Originally posted by VJsmum
    Have a great weekend! I went there on a works outing when I was 40+ and thoroughly enjoyed it - we're all kids at heart if we just let ourselves "be".

Mystified as to why mushroom stalks seem to be a "no-no" for some. And yes, I too use cauli leaves. Not much wasted in this house!

Chicken (again ) tonight for dinner, this time in a creamy chicken & broccoli bake with mash. That finally finishes the chicken, half a head of broccoli and another packet sauce mix. I've also added in half a packet of thin sliced Polish smoked sausage (didn't have any bacon and didn't want to open the chorizo). The other half went in sandwiches yesterday lunchtime with lettuce and tomato; all salad (barring a bit of lettuce) used up.

Carcass went in SC this morning so now have stock and a goodly amount of pickings that will make next week's soup. Have also saved the broccoli stalks to grate up and add, along with whatever other veg might be lurking in the fridge. I do have 8 tins of soup in the pantry but I'm hanging on to those as they're all well dated and will come in handy this winter when I don't have time to make my own.

Tonight I'll make up next week's meal plan so I'll be able to see what I need from the SM tomorrow. So far I've got onions, butter and teabags on my list. I also need eggs but DH will get those tomorrow in the market - much cheaper than SM eggs.

All in all, a very satisfying week for "use-ups".
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Dec £0/£160 0/28 NSDs
    Nov -£2.60 Oct +£9.92 Sep +£42.85 Aug +£84.62 July +£7.98 June -£3.13 May +£10.37

• CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 5th Oct 17, 7:04 PM
    • 2,646 Posts
    • 27,402 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    We are away this weekend (Disneyland with DD - it was her 21st birthday present. She's so excited, you'd think it was her 5th birthday ). So next Monday, it's time to do a big shop and get some meals back in the freezers...
    Originally posted by VJsmum
    Aww, it's lovely that your daughter has a present that she is going to enjoy so much.
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 5th Oct 17, 9:34 PM
    • 2,484 Posts
    • 30,786 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Anyone got any ideas for very-stringy runner beans? I have a large carrier-bag full... I'm planning to make some chutney tomorrow, which will use some of them up, but I suspect I'll still have more than half. I've been away for the best part of 3 weeks, and He Who Remained didn't take me seriously about picking them at all costs, even just to give away... Goes against the grain to compost them!
    Angie

GC Dec17 £240.63/£450

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 5th Oct 17, 9:40 PM
    • 26,088 Posts
    • 105,741 Thanks
    candygirl
    I made a kind of frittata tonight, with LO veg, eggs , cheese n put a bit of garlic n chilli in.Was lush ❤
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

277Posts Today

1,114Users online

Martin's Twitter