Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    • 15,611Posts
    • 127,504Thanks
    JackieO
    Love Food, Hate Waste
    • 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    Love Food, Hate Waste 27th Feb 17 at 4:33 PM
    I have been surfing around the internet this afternoon and found a site about Stop Wasting Food I think had quite a good idea ,in that instead of restricting ourselves from certain stuff during Lent perhaps it would be better to limit the over buying, and use up the initial stuff we already have .There is apparently a Russian young lady who seemingly has reduced the amount that Dennmark wastes by changing peoples out look in the supermarkets, and they have significantly reduced the amount of stuff being binned into landfill

Now to me that seems like a pretty good idea. The supermarkets have reduced amounts binned by instead of offering BOGOFFs they have reduced single purchases so its more economical to buy less. Doesn't sound like a bad idea ,I can understand people buying large amounts if they have larger families, but how often have we all been swayed by BOGOFFs,myself included. What do you all think ?

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

If you like this you might also like our ZeroWaste and Recycle Week discussions.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 02-10-2017 at 12:49 PM.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
Page 68
    • crazytree
    • By crazytree 1st Oct 17, 8:46 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 715 Thanks
    crazytree
    Thanx Floss, I love the French toast/eggy bread idea, I'll just have to Google how to make it!! And YorksLass pickled eggs are very Marmite indeed! I tasted one once and it's not an experience I would like to repeat. But.... Combine that idea with the idea of making chutney for C******** presents and you are a genius.. I know a few people who actually like pickled eggs and they're a much better present than a half dozen eggs in a box!

Thanx again
    T
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 1st Oct 17, 9:45 AM
    • 2,650 Posts
    • 27,461 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    I really like pickled eggs crazytree, and pickled onions and pickled beetroot and just about anything in vinegar.

I'm up to page 50 with this thread now so I'm nearly caught up. I'm going to have a go at making home made breadcrumbs later (I'll put a crust of bread in the oven to dry out when I make dinner). I have an empty airtight jar that will be suitable for storing them. I don't use breadcrumbs very often but if I make my own then I can add spices to them and I will probably use them more often.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 1st Oct 17, 3:32 PM
    • 26,089 Posts
    • 105,743 Thanks
    candygirl
    Yummy, love pickled eggs, n they sell them in chippies up here too 😙
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 1st Oct 17, 4:02 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 4,353 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Stringy Runner Beans
    I have the end of season runner beanos to use up, you know the ones, no matter how many days you boil them they're still stringy. I used some in a soup and ended up with a stringy soup, wasn't very pleasant to eat.
    Originally posted by purpleybat
    There are gadgets you can buy that will string and slice runner beans ready for cooking/freezing - but, as Dachet says, you need to use on freshly picked beans before they get too big. Google “runner bean stringer and slicer” for suppliers. If you don't want another kitchen gadget, use a sharp knife to top and tail, plus a potato peeler to de-string.

If you have the patience to string etc, here’s a link to a soup recipe that was devised especially for stringy runner beans.

https://recycleworks.wordpress.com/2010/09/29/if-your-runner-beans-are-stringy-dont-despair-turn-them-into-yummy-runner-bean-soup/
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Dec £0/£160 0/28 NSDs
    Nov -£2.60 Oct +£9.92 Sep +£42.85 Aug +£84.62 July +£7.98 June -£3.13 May +£10.37

• YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 1st Oct 17, 4:11 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 4,353 Thanks
    YorksLass
    We found some complete meals which will save time and money in the week and tons of chicken stock and breadcrumbs! Any ideas for them anyone?
    Originally posted by Moorhen
    How about these?

Chicken stock: Hm soups / Base for gravy / In place of water when cooking savoury rice (eg risotto)

Breadcrumbs: Coating things - eg chicken nuggets, fish goujons – add herbs or spices for different flavours / Make stuffing / Pad out crumble mix / In a treacle tart / Puddings such as fruit charlotte or brown betty / Sprinkled over mashed potato on something like cottage pie for a crunchy topping (add a bit of grated cheese for variety)
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Dec £0/£160 0/28 NSDs
    Nov -£2.60 Oct +£9.92 Sep +£42.85 Aug +£84.62 July +£7.98 June -£3.13 May +£10.37

• YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 1st Oct 17, 4:19 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 4,353 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Recipe for French Toast/Eggy Bread
    Thanx Floss, I love the French toast/eggy bread idea, I'll just have to Google how to make it!! T
    Originally posted by crazytree
    Post #3 today - I must be on a roll! This recipe serves 2 adults or 1 adult and 2 children.

Ingredients:
    2 large eggs
    1 teaspoon caster sugar
    2 tablespoons cream or milk
    Butter for frying
    4 medium-thick slices of semi-stale white bread (crusts and all)

Method:
    1. Whisk the eggs, sugar, cream/milk together
    2. Melt a knob of butter in a large frying pan until softly foaming
    3. Dunk the bread slices one at a time into the egg mixture so slices are well covered and beginning to soak up the egg
    4. Place in hot frying pan and fry each side over a medium heat until crisp and golden

Good on its own, even better with a dollop of cream or soft juicy fruit such as raspberries, blueberries, peaches etc.

For a savoury version leave out the sugar, add a little grated cheese to the mixture and maybe some curry/chilli powder. Serve with bacon, grilled tomatoes etc.

Dec £0/£160 0/28 NSDs

• Floss
    • By Floss 1st Oct 17, 5:24 PM
    • 4,096 Posts
    • 33,749 Thanks
    Floss
    Runner beans .....chutney! Runner bean chutney is amazing especially when it is 6-12 months old
    • Farway
    • By Farway 2nd Oct 17, 11:28 AM
    • 5,730 Posts
    • 7,732 Thanks
    Farway
    Runner beans .....chutney! Runner bean chutney is amazing especially when it is 6-12 months old
    Originally posted by Floss
    And even better at 3 years old, trust me on this one
    • bargainhunterss
    • By bargainhunterss 2nd Oct 17, 1:57 PM
    • 674 Posts
    • 6,145 Thanks
    bargainhunterss
    The only good bargain I snaffled was the lady on the meat counter was wrapping up stuff to go on the reduced bit and there were three good sized pieces of rump steak and I asked her how much and she said well as its the tail end of the joint its being reduced to £6.06

On her telling me how much it weighed (just over 2 and a half pound) I said yes please.

When I got home I portioned it up into 9 steaks one for tonight and 8 for future meals in the freezer.Just worked it out my rump steaks will cost me a round 70p each . With salad and /or a jacket potato I shall have 9 steak meals for under a pound a pop

Pretty good value I think.But it was pure fluke that I was in there at the right time and place.It certainly wouldn't encourage me to use the store regularly though.
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Jackie O that's a cracking deal!
    Debt Free as of 2013 BUT now got the biggest debt of all.....house!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 2nd Oct 17, 3:07 PM
    • 15,611 Posts
    • 127,504 Thanks
    JackieO
    Indeed, I was very happy with my rare Tesco bargain . Just listed cards to get before Chistmas this morning for birthdays anniversaries etc and went to Card factory at lunchtime and they came to nearly £9.00 !!! But I doo have quite alot to buy for Thats before Christmas cards as well.A good few are for overseas as well.

Tonights dinner is some gammon sliced up with salad and a jacket spud, I'll have enough of the gammon left for tomorrows lunch so its done me four meals plus a couple of lunches all for under £3.00, which I am pleased with
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 2nd Oct 17, 5:56 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 4,353 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Jackie: We sometimes get those small gammon joints and I agree, they're really good value.

For dinner on Saturday night we treated ourselves to a hm fakeaway prawn curry & rice; it works out at £2.80 each, doesn't take long to cook, tastes just as good as a "real" takeaway and is far less expensive. Every other month we get a kilo bag of frozen tiger prawns from the fishmonger and that does us for 4 curries each.

Last Friday I bought 2 medium size chickens from the local Co-op - normally £4.69 each but on offer at £7 for 2. I cooked one for dinner yesterday and this morning have sliced and picked the rest of the meat off the carcass. As expected, there is enough to do us another 3 meals. So, roast chicken dinner Sunday, Mediterranean style chicken casserole tonight, chicken salad tomorrow and chicken/broccoli bake for Thursday. So, 4 meals for 2 - not bad for £3.50.

I'll put the carcass in the sc tomorrow and the stock, plus any bits of meat off the bones, will make chicken soup at the weekend. No doubt by then there'll be odds & sods of veggies that can go in as well. I'll also be jointing up the other chicken and somehow the joints will have to fit in the freezer.

Oh joy, we've finally got rid of finished the last of the Xmas cake! It's crumbled up into 4 ramekins to make individual trifles; with halved red grapes, a raspberry jelly, a bit of custard and cream they will do us for 2 puddings each this week. I don't think I'll bother with Xmas cake this year as we always end up with some lurking around for ages. Instead I'll be getting a stollen cake; Aldi's do a particularly good one that always seems to sell out very quickly, so I'll be keeping an eye on their website to find out when they'll have it in stock - usually around mid-end Nov.

Dec £0/£160 0/28 NSDs

• CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 3rd Oct 17, 12:09 PM
    • 2,650 Posts
    • 27,461 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    I've finished reading the rest of this thread and I've made a start on sorting out the kitchen. I don't need to go out today so I've done a freezer audit as suggested by Floss. Full bags of things are now at the bottom of drawers with the things that need to be used up on the top. There were very few surprises - I'm way better at labelling things than I used to be so the only things thrown out were a couple of Asda's cheap ice lollies (I'll be too cold for the next 6 months to even think about them), 2 oven chips of unknown vintage from the bottom of a drawer, a solitary green bean (also from the drawer bottom and no other green beans in the entire freezer) and a small bag of brown something (about half a cup full) that could have been absolutely anything. There was at least one bag of chopped rhubarb in every drawer

I had a wonder round Aldi this week and have done some of my shopping there. Also picked up a few bits in Asda and a couple more things in Home Bargains. I've just checked and I have about £24.50 left from £50 in my grocery purse together with a voucher for Asda but I don't need to buy much more. I'm doing the shopping in short bursts due to my sore leg rather than one big shop. I know I need a bag of cat litter and I forgot to look in Aldi to see if they have the right kind and if so how much it is.

Jackie, three out of my four nephews and nieces have November birthdays. I used to give out to my sister a fair bit about that....until I managed to produce the house troll on the 4th of November. Not only is it another November birthday, it is actually the same date as my sister's number three child. HT reminds me on my mother fail days that I didn't even manage to get him a birthday all of his own
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 3rd Oct 17, 1:53 PM
    • 15,611 Posts
    • 127,504 Thanks
    JackieO
    Used up the last of the mushrooms in the fridge (stalks icluded ) for an omelette for breakfast ,lunch was some HM leek and potato soup from the fridge and some crackers with the tail end of the bit of gammon on top and a few slices of cucumber

I made a saucepan of custard which I stuck on top of the remains of the stewed apples, as they were a little sparse in the dish I added some diced up red grapes to fill it out a bit so thats pudding for the next few days sorted.No cooking tonight as its quiz night and I get fed there No shopping bought or needed for the moment I used a tin of evaporated milk from the tins cupboard to make the custard and I still have a good bit left over in the fridge I may use that to make a rice pudding tomorrow in the SC as I can leave it on all day to cook to its own devices Every scrap of food I have in stock is being utilised though. Just have to think what I can use about a third of a pot of long life single cream with. I may throw it i with the rice pud mix tomorrow for extra creaminess

JackieO xx
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 3rd Oct 17, 1:57 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 2,123 Thanks
    purpleybat
    thankyou all with stringy runners help.

as the actual beans are really quite big (mixture of ill health and Aged P prevented me picking them when small), and it seems the actual bean is fibrous as well as the sides, I decided to just compost them.
    while I was getting rid of the plants I found some absolutely HUGE ones that I have drying on the window sill so I can use the 'seed' for next years plants.
    I have made pickled beans before and they went down a treat, I also use them in piccalilli, just this year I wasn't well enough to catch them for either.
    gc jan 148.59/150 feb 134.58/150 mar 148.35/160 apr 139.24/160 may 165.78/160 june 129.05/160 july 148.23/170 aug 163/170 sep 123.67/160 oct 151.56/160 nov 141.30/150
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 3rd Oct 17, 2:14 PM
    • 15,611 Posts
    • 127,504 Thanks
    JackieO
    [QUOTE=CRANKY40;73190679] . Could I please have the recipe for your melting moments Jackie? If it's on this thread I haven't come across it yet. [Quote]

HI Cranky40

This is the recipe I have used for years since Adam was a lad for melting moments
    I am too old to use metric and prefer lbs and ounces

5 ounces of soft butter or margarine( I use Stoke soft)

3 ounces of caster sugar

2 teaspoons of vanilla essance, or one teaspoon of vanilla extract

5 ounces of self raising flour

some desiccated coconut or rolled oats

a few glace cherries for decoration, quartered.

Heat oven to 175-180c, 350f, or gas mark 4. Grease two flat baking trays

cream the butter/marge together until light and fluffy,beat in the vanilla extract/or essence

Stir th sifted flour into the mix, mix with a fork

roll walnut sized pieces of the mix into balls and roll in the coconut or oats.

Place on baking tray and flatten slightly with a fork ,pop a bit of glace cherry in the middle of each biscuit bkae for around 10-12 minutes until just getting golden,but not dark take the tray out of the oven and let it cool for a minute or two then with a palette knife lift each biscuit onto a wire cooling rack to harden up.They will look as though they need more cooking as they will be quite soft but trust me they do harden off after a few minutes once cool store in biscuit tin/box if you can.

Doubtful when my DGS are around as a plate of these can vanish very quickly.

Start to finish the job should take around half an hour at most and you will have 20-30 biscuits that cost pennies to make. My youngest grandson Mikey loves to help make these at half term, he also loves to help to eat them as well

HTH sorry I've been so long replying

JackieO xx
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 3rd Oct 17, 3:14 PM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 9,812 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Inspirational thread, can I join in.

I've been trying to work my way through the freezers and cupboards with some effect but it's the way you good folk use every scrap of food. I didn't think I wasted much but now realise I could do a whole lot better.

This morning from the freezer I dug out a large turkey breast and some streaky bacon to make what can only be described as swiss rolls. I aim to make 12 and know I shall have bits and pieces left over. I was very tempted to go and get some more bacon so I could use all of the turkey but on reading what you folk do I'm going to search around for something I can make with things I have in the fridge/cupboards and save time as well as money.
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 352.33/300 Oct 266.36/310 Nov 153.48/300 Non food/alcohol Oct 24.30/Nov 28.49
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 3rd Oct 17, 4:25 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 2,123 Thanks
    purpleybat
    Inspirational thread, can I join in.

I've been trying to work my way through the freezers and cupboards with some effect but it's the way you good folk use every scrap of food. I didn't think I wasted much but now realise I could do a whole lot better.

This morning from the freezer I dug out a large turkey breast and some streaky bacon to make what can only be described as swiss rolls. I aim to make 12 and know I shall have bits and pieces left over. I was very tempted to go and get some more bacon so I could use all of the turkey but on reading what you folk do I'm going to search around for something I can make with things I have in the fridge/cupboards and save time as well as money.
    Originally posted by zafiro1984

is it turkey scraps you have left?
    if so they're good in a pasta bake with spinach (I use defrosted frozen stuff giving a goodly squeeze to remove water, but broc and other veg works), give the turkey a quick chop and fry with an onion, boil pasta, make a thinnish white sauce adding a Dijon and/or grain mustard to taste, some dried herbs of choice and maybe a bit of salt, mix all together and top with a sprinkly of cheese and breadcrumbs. bake and scoff
    or how about a turkey risotto? spiced pilau? jambalaya?
    gc jan 148.59/150 feb 134.58/150 mar 148.35/160 apr 139.24/160 may 165.78/160 june 129.05/160 july 148.23/170 aug 163/170 sep 123.67/160 oct 151.56/160 nov 141.30/150
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 3rd Oct 17, 5:48 PM
    • 60,973 Posts
    • 356,138 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I made soup yesterday; potted up the two spare portions for the fridge .... but I don't want to eat that soup .... for another 2-3 years. Two portions yesterday was plenty. That's the trouble with "batch cooking" .... you end up with way too much of stuff you don't really want. It's nice... I just don't want it.

I only made it to use up a broccoli head I'd bought 3 days before and I knew it needed to be used up .... and some more of the cheese I got weeks ago on the Lidl cheap weekend ...and to make a start on using up the onions as I'd bought 1Kg in the Aldi special offers.

On reflection of the food I should be using up - and how appealing that was - I rushed to the shops and bought sausage rolls
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 3rd Oct 17, 6:33 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 4,353 Thanks
    YorksLass
    First ever attempt at jointing a chicken this morning and I don’t think any self-respecting butcher will be offering me an apprenticeship in a hurry! Tbf, the wings and legs were easy to detach, although I didn’t separate them into drumsticks and thighs as I thought they’d be a bit too small. The breasts were a bit trickier but ended up a good shape and size, skinned and no bones. After that, it was downhill - the carcass that was left looked a bit of a dog’s dinner! Anyway, it’s all in the freezer now (an easier task than I thought it would be) and I know I’ll get 3 meals out of it all – maybe 4 depending on what comes off the carcass.

Pretty chilly and blustery here today – top daytime temperature 14C – so for lunch we had hm tomato & red pepper soup with mini baguettes fished out of the freezer. The large bag of peppers I bought the other week for £1.50 turned out to be a good buy; there were 7 large ones in all - 6 red and 1 orange – and not a green one in sight. Just 1½ left and they’ll be gone by the end of the week so I hope the next bag will be as good.

When I did my cupboard audit last week I found an unopened jar of pickled walnuts and I thought of you, Jackie, the reason being the manufacturer is based in Sittingbourne and I recall you said you didn’t live far from there. I was introduced to these many, many years ago by a friend of DH’s and I never thought anything so brown, wrinkled and ugly looking could be so good, but they are - especially with pork chops. Currently priced at £2.50, they’re not overly cheap as you only get around 6 to a jar but they’re a treat we allow ourselves once in a while. Have got the jar – just need the pork chops now!

Dec £0/£160 0/28 NSDs

• zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 3rd Oct 17, 6:33 PM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 9,812 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    is it turkey scraps you have left?
    if so they're good in a pasta bake with spinach (I use defrosted frozen stuff giving a goodly squeeze to remove water, but broc and other veg works), give the turkey a quick chop and fry with an onion, boil pasta, make a thinnish white sauce adding a Dijon and/or grain mustard to taste, some dried herbs of choice and maybe a bit of salt, mix all together and top with a sprinkly of cheese and breadcrumbs. bake and scoff
    or how about a turkey risotto? spiced pilau? jambalaya?
    Originally posted by purpleybat
    Thanks Purpleybat I'll bear that in mind when I next get more turkey out of the freezer.
    I had a small piece of turkey left, no bacon but quite a bit of stuffing which was apricot, chestnut, breadcrumbs with pork and apple skinned sausages. I rummaged around at the bottom of the freezer and found a puff pk of pastry, so I chopped the remaining turkey into pieces, browned it off a little and added it to the stuffing, then I cut the block of pastry into 6 and made plaits. All 18 meals (6 plaits and 12 turkey swiss rolls) are happily cooking in the ironheart at the moment. I'll leave them another 20 mins and then have a look. Should all be in the freezer later.

I'm more than happy, it has taken me just a couple of hours and I've 18 meals a great saving on time and no spends as I had everything in, even the fuel for the ironheart didn't cost a penny- happy
    Last edited by zafiro1984; 03-10-2017 at 6:35 PM.
    Aug Grocery 258.35/250 Sept Grocery 352.33/300 Oct 266.36/310 Nov 153.48/300 Non food/alcohol Oct 24.30/Nov 28.49
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,130Posts Today

6,683Users online

Martin's Twitter