Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    • 15,508Posts
    • 126,391Thanks
    JackieO
    Love Food, Hate Waste
    • 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    Love Food, Hate Waste 27th Feb 17 at 4:33 PM
    I have been surfing around the internet this afternoon and found a site about Stop Wasting Food I think had quite a good idea ,in that instead of restricting ourselves from certain stuff during Lent perhaps it would be better to limit the over buying, and use up the initial stuff we already have .There is apparently a Russian young lady who seemingly has reduced the amount that Dennmark wastes by changing peoples out look in the supermarkets, and they have significantly reduced the amount of stuff being binned into landfill

Now to me that seems like a pretty good idea. The supermarkets have reduced amounts binned by instead of offering BOGOFFs they have reduced single purchases so its more economical to buy less. Doesn't sound like a bad idea ,I can understand people buying large amounts if they have larger families, but how often have we all been swayed by BOGOFFs,myself included. What do you all think ?

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

If you like this you might also like our ZeroWaste and Recycle Week discussions.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 02-10-2017 at 12:49 PM.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
Page 64
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 13th Sep 17, 6:20 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 4,136 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Can I freeze marrow? What is the best way to do it? I've been given a bag, but don't know, what to do with it. Stuffed marrow is not an option, as my oven doesn't work at the moment.
    Originally posted by Amara
    According to Delia Smith's website, no you can't. But another site I found says you can as per below.

Peel if the skin is tough, then cut into rings or dice, as required. Blanch in boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain and place immediately in a bowl of iced water to cool. Drain again and dry on kitchen paper. Pack in convenient quantities in polythene bags. Remove the air, seal, label and freeze. Storage time: 12 months.

Maybe you could use to make jam, chutney or soup? Pity your oven isn't working as you could make a cake with them; cut into slices that would definitely freeze.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Nov £76.60/£160 NSDs 10/28
    Oct +£9.92 Sep +£42.85 Aug +£84.62 July +£7.98 June -£3.13 May +£10.37

• purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 13th Sep 17, 10:01 PM
    • 263 Posts
    • 2,031 Thanks
    purpleybat
    [QUOTE=candygirl;73118537]LYN , surely you don't have to replace bits n bats that you eat???/QUOTE]

never eat bats!!
    gc jan 148.59/150 feb 134.58/150 mar 148.35/160 apr 139.24/160 may 165.78/160 june 129.05/160 july 148.23/170 aug 163/170 sep 123.67/160 oct 151.56
    • janb5
    • By janb5 14th Sep 17, 12:19 AM
    • 1,786 Posts
    • 6,377 Thanks
    janb5
    My neighbour gave me some chilli's she has grown, do you think I could freeze them as there are rather a lot for me to use up in one go She seems to have had a bumper crop.
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Jackie_ I often freeze chillies so I have them to hand when needed. Freeze them small bags and when needed rinse under tap. I find it easier when frozen to dig out the seeds without incurring chilli damage
    • crazytree
    • By crazytree 14th Sep 17, 10:20 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 591 Thanks
    crazytree
    One bag of who-knows-what was taken out of the freezer today. The menu says "freezer surprise" for tonight's tea. It's brown so either a chilli or Bolognese, probably. I must get into the habit of labelling this stuff!!!
    We're both working over the weekend so I need to do dinners, pudding, snacks and bread so we can eat! Hopefully most of that'll come from stores, so all I have to buy is cat food.

Well done all!
    T
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 14th Sep 17, 1:13 PM
    • 15,508 Posts
    • 126,391 Thanks
    JackieO
    Sweet chilli chicken thighs for dinner tonight with the rest of the steamed sweetheart cabbage. The poached pears were delicious yesterday witht the greek yogurt.Slowly organising my freezer and finding stuff I had forgotten I had
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 14th Sep 17, 9:29 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 7,811 Thanks
    kboss2010
    Had a useful using up night tonight:

- Made cheese, bacon & maple syrup scones for the next month of "scone Fridays" at work for store cupboard & bits of freezer leftovers.

- Bought a 55p savoy cabbage & used up some olive oil, leftover Parmesan cheese & garlic cloves to make a Jamie Oliver pesto pasta sauce thing. Made 2 portions of pasta for tea tomorrow night & have frozen the rest of the sauce.

- Used 1/4 carton of custard from store cupboard & a HM plum "pasty" I froze last week for dessert.
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 15th Sep 17, 8:41 AM
    • 4,844 Posts
    • 69,810 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Yesterday we had "soup and pud" night for tea. three lots of soup gone plus a minute (as in time, not as in small ) steak for ds (who is fussy about soup and i didn't have any of his). Plus some blackberries for blackberry and apple crumble. I bought the apples on YS a week or so ago.

I had meant to go and pick blackberries but ran out of time, so used freezer stores. I will go and see if there's some in the hedgerows today or at the weekend.

i can now move things round in my freezer Tonight we are out for DS's 'Farewell' meal and tomorrow we take him.

OH is on holiday next Friday for 10 days, so just DD and i at home. Am planning to really get the stores down by time he comes back.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 15th Sep 17, 9:11 AM
    • 3,226 Posts
    • 6,568 Thanks
    jackyann
    Blackberries should still be fine. Bumper year round here. I'm very grateful for them at the moment - am awaiting some dental work and can't 'chomp' on the usual delicious apples!
    • Floss
    • By Floss 15th Sep 17, 10:17 AM
    • 4,018 Posts
    • 32,831 Thanks
    Floss
    VJsmum use what's in the freezer before picking more
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 15th Sep 17, 3:47 PM
    • 997 Posts
    • 22,684 Thanks
    MMF007
    I had to pop into W8rose for some items for a client today and stumbled across frozen blueberries on offer. 400g for £2.15. I cook them gently, poached with a tiny sprinkle of sweetner. The flavour and texture is lovely. I am low carbing but a couple of spoons of poached blueberries with a spoon of cream is like nectar to me! Also has the bonus that I store it in a kilner jar in the fridge and so it keeps well.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 15th Sep 17, 11:02 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 17,495 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    Keeping ti simple
    Hiya All

Had a fantastic 'using up' meal tonight:
    Salad leaves (from a living salad which is trying to die???)
    cucumber (ok got loads of that)
    the remains of the sweet potatoes roasted earlier in the week
    A fig - roasted in slices in the oven for 10 mins 180 C drizzled with honey (on foil so it didnt matter if it stuck!)
    Walnuts - roasted on the same pan - from my bag of mixed nuts bought earlier in the week.
    Feta cheese (2nd third of a pack.)
    Once figs roasted as they come out of the oven drizzled over with a tiny bit of cider vinegar -
    A roasted garlic clove from earlier in the week finely sliced up.
    All tossed together in a bowl. YUM YUM !

Oh dear, candygirl, I have made my friend sound mean!!! Whoops - she left me a full range of veg and told me to eat up some HM frozen lasagne! She also ensured I had my oatcakes and peanut butter that i eat for breakfast was in the cupboard. She was just in a dreadful rush and doesnt always eat what I do!

Also over the year she treats me to tickets for things like the Royal Cornwall Show or a meal out etc. Being here also represents something of a holiday from my rather over crowded house (my son, his lady, his two large dogs and 18 month old are living with me at the moment - in a house designed for one person and occasional guests). Also she very kindly set out a big table for me to do my scrapbooking on (really needed the space and time to catch up on this!) Very wise of you, candygirl, to put in the caveat of 'wrong end of stick' - on this occasion my friend, you have got the wrong end but from my posting you would never have known that, my apologies.

Everyone is doing very well on the not wasting food stakes. I am using this opportunity to investigate the other end of the spectrum, in a way, i.e. how little can one buy and live on! I get to use my friends herbs and spices and vinegars - so far Ive spent £15! Have food here for at least 2 more days without hitting my friends freezer (sooo looking forward to her lasagne )Really enjoying a different type of not wasting food challenge!
    nite all!
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22)
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 15th Sep 17, 11:19 PM
    • 26,033 Posts
    • 105,467 Thanks
    candygirl
    I'll wind my neck back in then LP
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 16th Sep 17, 8:20 AM
    • 15,508 Posts
    • 126,391 Thanks
    JackieO
    Very happy that I too have pulled in my horns, and am using up what I have as much as possible.Used the last bit of steamed left over cabbage last night with some fish from the freezer and my son-in-laws gift of charlotte potatoes (the rest are in water in the fridge for another day ) and so a little bit more wriggle room in the freezer.

I am out tonight to my sis-in-laws to dinner (her birthday )and to my DDs tomorrow night for dinner so it will be Monday before I have to cook anything,I will dig out a couple of sausages from the freezer for that with a lamb burger and have with salad on Monday.Tuesday is pub quiz night so no cooking then and by Wednesday I am probably thinking it will be time for my second shop this month.

I have a list of stuff needed but can make do with what I have until then. My friend brought me a lovely jar of HM strawberry jam home from her holidays ,very nice and I think I will have to make some scones to go with it as I don't eat bread at all.
    I may put a dollop in with some greek yogurt when I buy some more next week as the jam looks as though its packed with strawberries No different than a Mueller corner really just yogurt with some flavouring .

The pears I poached in honey were delicious and I have three left so I am going to save them for next week for a pudding.With luck my normal £60.00 food budget should have a surplus this month which will go into my holiday fund for next year

Our holiday house already has a provisional booking for next August

Onwards and upwards chums

JackieO xx
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 16th Sep 17, 8:52 AM
    • 18,928 Posts
    • 83,183 Thanks
    pipkin71
    I found some pearl barley at the back of the cupboard last week. No idea how long it's been in there as it was in a plastic container, but it's been a while.

Have been adding it to soups this week - I had forgotten how nice it is
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 16th Sep 17, 12:59 PM
    • 934 Posts
    • 8,229 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty
    Afternoon All,

I hope you dont mind me joining in, I've been reading this and the "Cooking for one" thread trying to motivate myself. I'd become lazy, disinterested and worst of all wasteful especially with fruit and veg. CFO and having an interesting, varied and economical diet can be soooo challenging at times, but I was brought up not to waste food.

I've done some reading, some inventories and some planning, but action was required as well as getting back on the ms wagon. My first week has gone well and compared to other weeks very little money has left the purse.

Being flexible and shopping regularly doesn't work for me, neither does the Sunday roast & leftovers type of meal planning. I'm trying out a simplified meal plan of 4 categories - Meat, Fish, Veggie, Fowl over a 4 week period = Wk 1 - 1 meat, 2 each of the others, Wk 2 - 1 veggie, 2 each of the others, Wk 3 - 1 fowl, 2 each of others, Wk 4 - 1 fish 2 each of others.

I love my vegetables but don't like how freezing affects some of them, so that will be my biggest challenge - I do like raw veg so to use up some this week I grated and shredded some carrot, cabbage, radish and onion into a large bowl kept in the fridge and just took out a handful or two at a time mixed it with mayo/yoghurt/lemon juice as and when I needed, the rest was used up this morning with some swede, leek and broth mix to make a huge pot of soup - just had a bowl, lovely and warming on this wet and windy day.

Apologies for the long post but as you may have guessed I've got my mojo back.
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 16th Sep 17, 1:09 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 7,811 Thanks
    kboss2010
    I'm starting to realise just how little you need to meal plan for the week. For the past few weeks we've been trying to use store cupboards & freezer to cook all meals & it's taking us ages to get through relatively small stores of food!
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 16th Sep 17, 10:35 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 17,495 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    On the theme of how little!
    Evening all,

first of all: candygirl, hope you are ok with my explanation - Im hoping that the phrase 'wind my neck back in' doesnt mean you think that I was in any way being negative towards you - reading my post back I could quite see where you were coming from and its nice that, were my friend taking the mick, that you would be concerned and brave enough to say so! Thanks for coming back to me tho!

Welcome, Need2bthrifty, as you can tell we are all very friendly on this thread - hence my concern above - it is so easy to be mis-interpreted in print when one cant see the grin on a face!

kboss2010 - I so agree with you. I have bought very little over the past week of staying somewhere else and tonight had a lovely red and yellow pepper omelette with the last of the feta that my friend got in for me (bless her). As my 'DIL' doesnt like peppers or mushrooms I am really enjoying eating them this week! (instead of having to think about not putting them in things!) Still have the equivalent of a fry up left to go as a main meal before I dive into my friend's lasagne and I am out on a free trip tomorrow as another friend, is a member of an Age Concern group who organise trips out - tomorrow Tingagel and Boscastle - and we always eat out and they insist on paying as they would not be able to go without me as they are rather frail. I dont mind mandering slowly along - taking photos as I go - but others of this OAP group march off at a pace to rapid for my friend who feels that they would slow the others down. Another part of the OAPs go into a pub or other eatery and spend the entire trip in there whereas we are quite happy with fish and chips sat on the harbour! Wish me good weather folks!

PS as I am over 55 I am officially allowed on the trips anyway but, rather flatteringly, one of the participants questioned why I should be on a subsidised trip - calling me 'that young bit of stuff' - oh did we laugh ! the next trip I bought my passport along and in a loud voice said as I got on the coach to the organiser 'Oh Xxx - you wanted to check my age - here is my passport as you can see Im nearly 59!' to which the organiser said (in an equally loud voice - she was in on the idea) 'Oh I thought you had come along in a caring capacity for Yyyy (my friend)' Some folk just like to be miserable dont they??

Anyhoo want to assure you all that I dont have the elixir for eternal youth (although someone assumed at the park that my GD of 18 months was mine - but I had sunglasses on and they couldnt see the bags under me eyes!). What i have is long hair (my oone vanity) which is only just turning from natural blonde to grey - its gonna be spectacular when it all turns - and I do yoga most days so I am quite flexible - however I am not superwoman and suffer badly with arthritis and am dreadfully over weight! Sorry drifting off topic but it does prove that despite health issues and having to be frugal - you can still be fit and lively!
    Frugaling forward and wasting nowt!
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22)
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 16th Sep 17, 10:59 PM
    • 26,033 Posts
    • 105,467 Thanks
    candygirl
    Yea LP, it's all cool hun.I was just making sure you weren't having the P taken out of you, but now you've elaborated, your friend seems nice 😁
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 17th Sep 17, 12:24 AM
    • 15,508 Posts
    • 126,391 Thanks
    JackieO
    Lyne P,I believe there are agencies who do house sitters as well .
    Well I had a lovely meal with my sis-in-law at the pub in Deal and had some delicious Dover sole with fresh veg, and a ginger and lemon cheese cake that was to die for.

Special treat for us both as we no longer do birthday gifts to each other, there is very little we want or need at our age , but enjoy a decent meal out on our respective birthdays, and hers was (although overdue from August due to our respective holiday commitments, ) was tonights nosh up.That's my last blow out now until Christmas Eve

JackieO xx
    • JIL
    • By JIL 17th Sep 17, 12:51 AM
    • 2,770 Posts
    • 18,644 Thanks
    JIL
    I had a big bag of pears that I had bought as part of the Aldi super six, I am trying to be good so my favourite crumble was out of the question. I cut them in half top to bottom, scooped out the seeds using a teaspoon, then put them in an oven proof dish. Sprinkled them with cinnamon and filled the holes where I had spooned the seeds out with chopped walnuts. A little squirt of runny honey, and baked for 40 mins. Oven was on for something else.
    Absolutely delicious. Like a toffee and the skins were gorgeous.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

182Posts Today

1,869Users online

Martin's Twitter