Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    • 15,231Posts
    • 123,590Thanks
    JackieO
    Love Food, Hate Waste
    • 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    Love Food, Hate Waste 27th Feb 17 at 4:33 PM
    I have been surfing around the internet this afternoon and found a site about Stop Wasting Food I think had quite a good idea ,in that instead of restricting ourselves from certain stuff during Lent perhaps it would be better to limit the over buying, and use up the initial stuff we already have .There is apparently a Russian young lady who seemingly has reduced the amount that Dennmark wastes by changing peoples out look in the supermarkets, and they have significantly reduced the amount of stuff being binned into landfill

Now to me that seems like a pretty good idea. The supermarkets have reduced amounts binned by instead of offering BOGOFFs they have reduced single purchases so its more economical to buy less. Doesn't sound like a bad idea ,I can understand people buying large amounts if they have larger families, but how often have we all been swayed by BOGOFFs,myself included. What do you all think ?

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 13-09-2017 at 9:14 AM.
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
Page 63
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 11th Sep 17, 8:07 AM
    • 268 Posts
    • 2,701 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    Floss - I've frozen a load of the pesto as there's far too much of it to use up in a day or two. I can't see why it wouldn't be fine. I've made similar ones before with leftover broccoli or spring greens and they've been fine after defrosting.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 11th Sep 17, 2:06 PM
    • 15,231 Posts
    • 123,590 Thanks
    JackieO
    My neighbour gave me some chilli's she has grown, do you think I could freeze them as there are rather a lot for me to use up in one go She seems to have had a bumper crop.
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 11th Sep 17, 3:17 PM
    • 3,097 Posts
    • 6,013 Thanks
    jackyann
    They will go a bit soft. Best thing depends on how hot they are, and your taste, or try both of these:
    Chop into small pieces, open freeze, then put into a bag, and use as chopped chillies.
    Freeze whole, then pop one into a casserole or risotto, just to give some 'warmth', not a strong chili hit.
    You could try drying, which my sister does very well, but I don't get on so well with
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 11th Sep 17, 3:45 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 3,175 Thanks
    YorksLass
    My neighbour gave me some chilli's she has grown, do you think I could freeze them as there are rather a lot for me to use up in one go She seems to have had a bumper crop.
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Hi Jackie, yes, you can. I usually split them open and remove the seeds (although you don't have to if you like things really spicy ), chop into small pieces, put into containers suitable for whatever portion size you need, cover with water (so they don't dry out) and freeze. No need to thaw first, just dunk the whole thing into whatever you're cooking. Works with bell peppers too.

Had a lovely two weeks in Devon with pretty good weather and got back late Saturday evening. On the way back we bought potatoes, a savoy cabbage, 1/2 doz eggs and a small white loaf and these, with what I knew I already had in the freezer and cupboards, have fed us until my brain gets back to "real life".

On one of our days out we went to a huge shopping outlet where I treated myself to two recipe books from my Happy Cash. One is called Perfect Preserves and the other is Soups for Every Season. Not expensive and I'm really looking forward to trying out some of the recipes that I'm sure will expand my repertoire in the spirit of LFHW.

I need to do an online shop later this week as I've run out of a lot of staples but I'm going to check existing stocks and meal-plan with those first. I have a £10 off voucher to use up and I want to make sure my spends are on what I really need.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Sep GC: £160 - £108.22 = £51.78 NSDs 15/28
    Aug GC: £200 - £115.38 = £84.62 NSDs 28/35 July GC +£7.98 June GC -£3.13 May GC +£10.37

• purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 11th Sep 17, 3:46 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 1,769 Thanks
    purpleybat
    i grow chillies and freeze them whole all the time.
    I find them easiest to chop when they've been out the freezer a minute or two (no longer) and so are still frozen, straight from frozen I've had a few 'shatter' on me
    if you want to remove the seeds it should be easy to at this point, I never bother but then some of my homegrown are SO curly it would be impossible to even if I wanted to.
    as I think the poster after you said they do go soft so are no good for adding a spicy crunch to a salad, but for curries etc they'll be fine.
    gc jan 148.59/150 feb 134.58/150 mar 148.35/160 apr 139.24/160 may 165.78/160 june 129.05/160 july 148.23/170 aug 163/170
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 11th Sep 17, 4:06 PM
    • 15,231 Posts
    • 123,590 Thanks
    JackieO
    Thanks chums yes these are quite curly their first effort at growing them and I think she was surprised at how many she had
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 11th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    • 3,376 Posts
    • 16,897 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    Floss - I've frozen a load of the pesto as there's far too much of it to use up in a day or two. I can't see why it wouldn't be fine.
    Originally posted by Ginmonster
    I've never made pesto, but I've frozen the jar stuff a few times. I stick it in an icecube tray, so you have nice portioned amounts.

Finished off the frozen chips with a celebratory steak tonight. We have the keys to the new house!
    I'm heading over early in the morning to clean the kitchen before work. BF will wash the carpets on his way home (puppy celebrated by dropping a deposit in the front room as soon as we showed him around) BF was going to wash the carpets anyway...but now he has to.
    That should give them enough time to dry before the big move on Thursday.

We had a move gift box waiting for us, from the mortgage company. Cleaning samples, loo roll & the like. Few biscuits and chocs too. Saved a corner shop trip tonight
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    - NSD's - /20
    EF Challenger #36 £800/£5050
    / Lose weight 20 / 30lbs
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 11th Sep 17, 10:49 PM
    • 22,918 Posts
    • 88,406 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Thanks chums yes these are quite curly their first effort at growing them and I think she was surprised at how many she had
    How about threading through the tops with a triple length of cotton and hanging some up to air dry in the kitchen? I've done that before and hug them from the pan rack near the boiler/radiator on the rare occasions I have heating in the kitchen area (plenty of airflow from repeatedly opening the door for the cat) - you can crumble the dried ones into flakes (taking out seeds if necessary), soak them in warm water and then chop them up or just throw a single dried one into the pot?
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • THIRZAH
    • By THIRZAH 12th Sep 17, 7:25 AM
    • 1,293 Posts
    • 5,956 Thanks
    THIRZAH
    I thread cotton through chillies and tie a knot between each one to keep them apart then dry them in the airing cupboard. Some sorts do dry better than others. DH has a chilli plant in his office which has been going for about five years now. I've never been able to keep the plants going over the winter.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 12th Sep 17, 11:35 AM
    • 4,730 Posts
    • 68,130 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Tonight I am taking one for the team (again - <<sigh>>)

I discovered a chicken ready meal in the freezer. Bought for DS to have when we were away, but as DS is going to uni on Saturday (gulp) I can't see him having it.

I don't really like ready meals, but no one else would eat it, and I can't bear the waste...
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 12th Sep 17, 12:51 PM
    • 865 Posts
    • 20,372 Thanks
    MMF007
    Am conjuring up a fridge bottom soup, inc a 9p bag carrots and lots of bits (parts of peppers, onions, broccoli etc). Smells good!

Will also gently cook blueberries with a touch of sweetener to keep them for a few days (stored in kilner jar in the fridge - great with breakfast cereal or as dessert).

Picked up some sprouts rtc, 9p, have blanched and frozen.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 12th Sep 17, 12:58 PM
    • 3,824 Posts
    • 30,414 Thanks
    Floss
    I made a chicken casserole on Saturday with rtc thighs, celery leeks & onions from the allotment, some garlic and fresh thyme and a bottle of DH's beer. It was scrummy, was scrummy again on Sunday and whats leftover is being blitzed for soup tonight I also made 4 wee jars of caramelized onions and two 1-litre bags of raspberry cordial (all allotment produce) which I will freeze for over the winter.
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 12th Sep 17, 9:31 PM
    • 3,376 Posts
    • 16,897 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    Two more items out of the freezer, salmon fish cake for me, chicken breast for BF. Grabbed a couple of chops out for tomorrows tea too.

Freezer needs a defrost, another job on the list for the final flat clean.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    - NSD's - /20
    EF Challenger #36 £800/£5050
    / Lose weight 20 / 30lbs
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 12th Sep 17, 10:45 PM
    • 893 Posts
    • 17,236 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    If its gonna go off - cook it!
    Evening all!

I have the philosophy that 'if its about to go off - cook it!' So having read things that youve all been up to this is what i do with stuff that has been mentioned:

Rocket can be used in place of spinach in kinda bagee (sorry re spelling) things. Chop into small bits. Steam lightly. Squeese out excess water between kitchen roll. Mix in with batter. deep fry! yummy!

Bananas - can be sliced and fried in butter. take off the heat. Add demerera sugar/ dark sugar and a drop of lemon juice - put over ice cream or into pancakes

Green beans - cook by steaming preferably - and next day turn into a salad with a traditional french dressing by slicing slightly smaller and adding either jared or grilling some slivers of red pepper and some toasted almonds!

Hope this helps!

Well, am currently staying at my friends house - looking after it; her lovely little woof; and feeding the fish; and taking her Mum for lunch and shopping once a week. So dont want to take the mickey so am trying a Satavistic diet - like yoga folks eat - so mostly veg, defo wholemeal, and some dairy. So I bought some brown rice, peppers and tomatoes and a small pointed cabbage and bag of mixed nuts. Have been told to eat up anything which is going off so have had sweet potatoes and onions and eggs to use. Have also bought decent coffee (my one big luxury in life )So I have eaten Jacket potato and cheese (lunch mushroom omelette); roasted veg with toasted nuts - I picked out the walnuts for this one (lunch beans on toast); a risotto thingy - I picked out the cashews for this one (using up the roast veg and shredded some of the cabbage into it - fried cabbage is lovely - honest ). Tomorrow I am taking Mum out for lunch so may well eat meat or fish for a change

So no wasting food here - when I leave I shall replace eggs, beans etc.
    kboss2010 - never thought of washing the sauce off naff beans and using them refried - how clever of you!

Keep on frugaling! (gotta laugh - my friend has an earlier bed time than me and the dog is giving me the disgusted - lets go to bed NOW look! )
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22)
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 13th Sep 17, 7:22 AM
    • 3,097 Posts
    • 6,013 Thanks
    jackyann
    I love beans with french dressing, and normally cook double so that we have them cold the next day. My own tip is to mix the dressing in while they are still warm so it absorbs a bit better.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 13th Sep 17, 9:55 AM
    • 25,617 Posts
    • 103,698 Thanks
    candygirl
    LYN , surely you don't have to replace bits n bats that you eat???If someone was pet sitting for me, I'd buy food in for them, as It's a lot cheaper than kennel fees Apologies if I have the wrong end of the stick
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Sep 17, 10:15 AM
    • 15,231 Posts
    • 123,590 Thanks
    JackieO
    Freezer tetris this morning and will probably get out some stewing beef and make a casserole in my slow cooker.I have plenty of diced onions in the freezer and one lonely carrot in the bottom of my fridge that can be diced up and used.It should make several portions boxed up with some mashed spuds on top to return to the freezer for 'ready-meals on the nights when I am too tired to cook.

When I get in on my nights when DD and son-in-law are working later I am often not in until just before seven so one of those with fresh steamed veg fits the bill.
    I also want to have a bit of a stocktake today in the cupboards and see what can be got out and left on the counter of my kitchen to be used up over the next couple of days .I am away down to my sis-in-laws in Faversham on Saturday as we are going out to dinner in the evening for her birthday.So no cooking on Saturday night and Sunday night I am at Dds for dinner.I will sort out three dinners for tonight tomorrow and Friday from my freezer and won't have to shop this week at all. I only have two things on my shopping list at the moment and they are really not that urgent so will leave any shopping until next week.
    Frugally onwards chums

JackieO xx
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 13th Sep 17, 10:19 AM
    • 4,730 Posts
    • 68,130 Thanks
    VJsmum
    More freezer fodder tonight - probably HM lasagne which we will have with salad, as that is starting to need using. We were going to go out as DS is off to Uni on Saturday but not going out now as DS isn't well (hoping he is well enough to go on Saturday).

At least the change of plan doesn't mean shopping. Still plenty in the freezers.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Teacher2
    • By Teacher2 13th Sep 17, 12:01 PM
    • 491 Posts
    • 2,481 Thanks
    Teacher2
    I am very frugal. I only buy BOGOFs of unperishables, tins, dry goods or food which will keep or be frozen. As for bread, I buy 'nice' granary bread sliced and keep it in the freezer only taking slices out as I need them. They toast well and by the time my DH has his sandwiches the slices are defrosted. Other food is portioned out as I cook it. I don't make new or unfamiliar meals where I would have to buy £££s worth or ingredients unless someone else has tried cooking it and I am certain it's worth it and I'll make it again.

It is all a bit dull and mean but it saves money and waste.
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 13th Sep 17, 3:56 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 3,175 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Recipe - Spicy Courgette Soup
    I noticed quite a few of you who grow your own produce have had a bumper year of courgettes and thought you might find this recipe useful. It's a "new to me" recipe and, as yet, I haven't tried it but it sounds good. It serves 4, can be cooked on the hob/microwave/slow cooker and can be frozen.

Ingredients:
    25g / 1oz butter
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1 large garlic clove, chopped
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp ground coriander
    350g / 12 oz courgettes, sliced
    1 potato, peeled and sliced
    450ml / 3/4 pt chicken or veg stock
    300ml / 1/2 pt milk
    S & P

Hob Method:
    1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add onion and garlic. Cook gently approx 5 mins, stirring occasionally, until soft but not brown.
    2. Add the cumin and coriander, cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 mins.
    3. Add the courgettes, potato, stock and milk. Bring to the boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer gently for 15 mins until veggies are soft.
    4. Leave to cool slightly, tip into food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
    5 Season to taste. Re-heat if necessary.

SC Method:
    As Steps 1 and 2 and tip into crockpot. Add the courgettes, potatoes, HOT stock and milk. Cover and cook on High for 2 hrs or Low for 4-6 hrs. Continue as Steps 4 and 5.

Microwave Method:
    Put butter, onion and garlic into a large casserole. Cover and cook on High for abt 3 mins or until soft, sitrring once. Add cumin and coriander, cook on High for 1 min. Add courgettes, potato and HOT stock. Cover and cook on High for abt 10 mins, stirring once, or until veggies are soft. Stir in the milk, then continue as Steps 4 and 5.

Enjoy!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Sep GC: £160 - £108.22 = £51.78 NSDs 15/28
    Aug GC: £200 - £115.38 = £84.62 NSDs 28/35 July GC +£7.98 June GC -£3.13 May GC +£10.37

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,237Posts Today

8,192Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin