Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    • 15,231Posts
    • 123,606Thanks
    JackieO
    Love Food, Hate Waste
    • 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    Love Food, Hate Waste 27th Feb 17 at 4:33 PM
    I have been surfing around the internet this afternoon and found a site about Stop Wasting Food I think had quite a good idea ,in that instead of restricting ourselves from certain stuff during Lent perhaps it would be better to limit the over buying, and use up the initial stuff we already have .There is apparently a Russian young lady who seemingly has reduced the amount that Dennmark wastes by changing peoples out look in the supermarkets, and they have significantly reduced the amount of stuff being binned into landfill

Now to me that seems like a pretty good idea. The supermarkets have reduced amounts binned by instead of offering BOGOFFs they have reduced single purchases so its more economical to buy less. Doesn't sound like a bad idea ,I can understand people buying large amounts if they have larger families, but how often have we all been swayed by BOGOFFs,myself included. What do you all think ?

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 13-09-2017 at 9:14 AM.
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
Page 62
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 8th Sep 17, 8:41 PM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 7,739 Thanks
    kboss2010
    When I was single, I had takeaways probably once in 6 months, and never popped to the shops for snacks. If it wasn't bought during the weekly shop, I couldn't eat it.
    Now I have a bad combination of being easily swayed with a snacky BF. He used to be a takeaway every-other-day-er, so his diet has improved while I give in more often than I used to.
    Originally posted by x_raphael_xx
    Haha, I feel your pain! I've put on 2 stone in 7 yrs living with my crisp-and-biscuit-craving, carb-and-red-meat-loving bf! I used to live on veggie stir fries saut!ed in water, now we live on mince & tatties with oodles of gravy & have constant snacks in the house!
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 8th Sep 17, 8:45 PM
    • 25,618 Posts
    • 103,709 Thanks
    candygirl
    I'm not offering!
    Originally posted by Ginmonster
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 9th Sep 17, 11:06 AM
    • 15,231 Posts
    • 123,606 Thanks
    JackieO
    Ginmonster although I am not a total veggie I too enjoy lots of veggie meals as well as some meat meals .Veggie curry or chilli is an excellent and cheap way to use up past their best veg.Cauliflower I could happily eat on its own without any problems at all. I like being able to mix up various veggie to make a meal and a little while ago I made a veggie lasagnes for my DGS who wolfed it down and didn't even notice there wasn't any meat in it
    Tonight for dinner I have dug out of the freezer a shepherd's pie that I bulked out a bit with some baked beans as it was the remains of some mince I had and I didn't want to just throw away.The topping is creamy mashed cheesey potato that I mashed with the tail end of some garlic and herby type of philly soft cheese so I will have that with some steamed cabbage, and for pud I will have some of the freebie diced up pears that were given to me earlier this week with some greek type yogurt.Nothing to shop for as yet so its a week since I went near to a shop.I am quite happy to use up what's in the freezer and hopefully I will be able to defrost it before Christmas. I found some left over bits of pastry in there which I shall use up to make a sweet mincemeat tart for the weekend. This will do a few pudding with some gloopy custard on top.Also going to make a victoria sponge cake for my DGS Jack as its his favourite.
    Have a good weekend chums

JackieO xx
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 9th Sep 17, 1:43 PM
    • 4,731 Posts
    • 68,142 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Just had a cheese omelette with salad for lunch. As the salad is getting a bit limp and i seem to have lots of eggs. Yet again I have to throw away rocket as it's not usable. I get bored with just lettuce as the leaves for my salad and love rocket, but it's the thing i most often have to chuck. Any suggestions re how to pep up salad leaves with something that doesn't go off so quick?

I made banana bread this morning as the bananas went very ripe again. We go in phases where they get eaten almost immediately, or are left to go too ripe. I make a lot of banana bread

For tea, i am having yet another of the fish pies i made back in may, with some of the veg that needs using. Probably some tender stem broccoli and some carrots. The "children" (18 and 21 ) will have pizza - OH has gone away with his mother. DS is leaving next week for uni, so i am trying to get him to use up the things only he generally eats - some steak pies in the freezer (though i doubt he will eat 4 in a week!), pepperoni pizza, some chocolate brioche and some squash.

A change in my shopping habits is upon us, with him going but DD coming back. She eats very little meat so i am looking forward to making a lot more veggie food which OH and i both love but DS detests.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 9th Sep 17, 2:41 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 2,704 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    VJsmum - I love banana bread but I never get to make it as bananas never get a chance to go squishy in our house. My 4 year old eats one every day and even likes them when they're brown so I've got no chance.
    I'm wondering whether you could make some pesto with your rocket - maybe do it with half a bag when you first get it and bung it in the freezer until needed. That way you still get the rocket but don't have too much. As long as you use up the pesto of course! Or maybe some of JackieO's tips about keeping lettuce fresh might work with rocket too to make it last longer.

I made some orange glazed tofu today for lunch with vegetable and cashew nut fried rice. My little boy wasn't impressed with the tofu but hubby and I enjoyed it and I finally used the very last leaves of the giant cauliflower I've been cooking all week!

I used some of the green bean pesto I'd made yesterday for last night's tea with spaghetti, cauliflower (of course) and some nice strong cheddar grated on top. It was really lovely. It also finished off the last of the spaghetti in the storecupboard but that's a good thing as I still have loads of half packets of different types of pasta. I'm definitely a hoarder when it comes to food.
    • carlislelass
    • By carlislelass 9th Sep 17, 5:30 PM
    • 1,570 Posts
    • 3,819 Thanks
    carlislelass
    I'm not offering!
    Seems I've offended you, wasn't meaning to
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 9th Sep 17, 6:09 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 2,704 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    Seems I've offended you, wasn't meaning to
    Originally posted by carlislelass
    Well it didn't sound very complimentary to me but I'm pleased to hear you weren't trying to insult my cooking. I get enough of that from my 4 year old! :-)
    • Floss
    • By Floss 9th Sep 17, 6:11 PM
    • 3,825 Posts
    • 30,447 Thanks
    Floss
    When I buy rocket it gets tipped out of the bag onto kitchen paper and then that is put back into the bag with the leaves. I also seal the bag with a clip which seems to stabilise the moisture level in the bag and so it doesn't go slimy.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 9th Sep 17, 6:46 PM
    • 4,731 Posts
    • 68,142 Thanks
    VJsmum
    When I buy rocket it gets tipped out of the bag onto kitchen paper and then that is put back into the bag with the leaves. I also seal the bag with a clip which seems to stabilise the moisture level in the bag and so it doesn't go slimy.
    Originally posted by Floss
    ooh thanks, I'll try that
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • house elf
    • By house elf 9th Sep 17, 7:03 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 7,390 Thanks
    house elf
    Evening Folks,

I have been given the horticulture groups to teach on Thurs and Fridays. Yesterday we harvested broad beans, cabbage and potatoes from the plot we tend at a local garden. We brought it all back to school to sort and sell to the rest of the staff for donations to buy seeds. TA was throwing lots of outer leaves and tired veg into the bin. I rescued it to give to my hens, who were very excited by boiled up cabbage and beans this morning!

I have also ended up with all the potatoes which were a bit green. I don't mind peeling the green bits away. I shall be turning them into leek and potato soup (Thanks Candygirl), etc. KBoss...What's the best way to process the potatoes to make wedges for freezing?

Made good progress with making freezer space this week, but I have just filled it up again with 2 lots of the Coop frozen meal deal! I just can't help myself!

Last edited by house elf; 09-09-2017 at 7:06 PM.
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 9th Sep 17, 7:14 PM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 7,739 Thanks
    kboss2010
    Used up a tin of chicken in white sauce that had been forgotten in the cupboard (I know, awful stuff but I love chicken pies!), LO pastry and some frozen veggies to make a dozen mini chicken pies - that's my snacks sorted for the next week!

Emptied the freezer of 1/2 a drawer of ys veggies and made a dent in my stockpile of soba noodles by making a stir fry for lunches next week.
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 9th Sep 17, 9:24 PM
    • 25,618 Posts
    • 103,709 Thanks
    candygirl
    Had a late dinner of HM potato n leek soup, n a roll, n am having pizza for tea in a bit
    GM how do I make pesto, with green beans n pine kernels? I might try it tomoz

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • Amara
    • By Amara 9th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    • 1,903 Posts
    • 7,180 Thanks
    Amara
    Can I freeze marrow? What is the best way to do it? I've been given a bag, but don't know, what to do with it. Stuffed marrow is not an option, as my oven doesn't work at the moment.
    Tackle your debt, take a part in 1 debt vs 100 days challenge.
    1 debt vs 100 days challenge part 26
    £480/800
    Gaining assets
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 10th Sep 17, 6:58 AM
    • 268 Posts
    • 2,704 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    Had a late dinner of HM potato n leek soup, n a roll, n am having pizza for tea in a bit
    GM how do I make pesto, with green beans n pine kernels? I might try it tomoz
    Originally posted by candygirl
    I cooked the green beans in the microwave then put them in my food processor with a fat clove of garlic, a couple of handfuls of cashews, the juice of a lemon, a glug of oil and seasoning and then whizzed it until smooth. It turned out well.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 10th Sep 17, 12:59 PM
    • 4,731 Posts
    • 68,142 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Tho I am trying to empty freezers (did you guess? ), i don't want to do it at the expense of letting other stuff go off. Only me eating tonight - OH still away and both kids poorly.

I have peppers, onion, potato, courgette that need finishing up. thought i'd do some kind of veggie curry thing. I have some carrots in the freezer and some tins of chickpeas. I may be able to rustle up other odds and s0ds from the freezer in the form of bits of veg to chuck in there.

I think it's another week where we can eat out of the freezer - might just have to buy a few fresh bits..
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 10th Sep 17, 3:09 PM
    • 1,179 Posts
    • 8,445 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Any suggestions re how to pep up salad leaves with something that doesn't go off so quick?
    Originally posted by VJsmum

I keep all my salad leaves in a large clippy box that had a little drainer rack in the bottom. (like this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AN4CV)

I got it from The Range I think.

I keep the box in place of one of the salad drawers. I just rinse the leaves and chuck them straight in and the leaves last for a week or more depending on the type.

HTH
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £9433.44
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 10th Sep 17, 3:42 PM
    • 25,618 Posts
    • 103,709 Thanks
    candygirl
    I cooked the green beans in the microwave then put them in my food processor with a fat clove of garlic, a couple of handfuls of cashews, the juice of a lemon, a glug of oil and seasoning and then whizzed it until smooth. It turned out well.
    Will give it a go, n report back 😁😁

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • Floss
    • By Floss 10th Sep 17, 8:06 PM
    • 3,825 Posts
    • 30,447 Thanks
    Floss
    Ginmonster i guess that pesto would freeze ok? It sounds an ideal thing to do with the bucket of French beans I brought home from the allotment today!
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 10th Sep 17, 9:22 PM
    • 867 Posts
    • 20,389 Thanks
    MMF007
    Hey Floss, I made a pesto from basil, cashews, garlic, and oil and froze some. It was great when I took it out of the freezer. I used some with pasta fro DH and the rest in a flan base, spread thinly, and it gave a lovely delicate flavour to the quiche.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 10th Sep 17, 10:46 PM
    • 3,825 Posts
    • 30,447 Thanks
    Floss
    Thanks MMF that sounds like a good plan!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,475Posts Today

8,876Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin