Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    • 15,497Posts
    • 126,326Thanks
    JackieO
    Love Food, Hate Waste
    • 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    Love Food, Hate Waste 27th Feb 17 at 4:33 PM
    I have been surfing around the internet this afternoon and found a site about Stop Wasting Food I think had quite a good idea ,in that instead of restricting ourselves from certain stuff during Lent perhaps it would be better to limit the over buying, and use up the initial stuff we already have .There is apparently a Russian young lady who seemingly has reduced the amount that Dennmark wastes by changing peoples out look in the supermarkets, and they have significantly reduced the amount of stuff being binned into landfill

Now to me that seems like a pretty good idea. The supermarkets have reduced amounts binned by instead of offering BOGOFFs they have reduced single purchases so its more economical to buy less. Doesn't sound like a bad idea ,I can understand people buying large amounts if they have larger families, but how often have we all been swayed by BOGOFFs,myself included. What do you all think ?

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

If you like this you might also like our ZeroWaste and Recycle Week discussions.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 02-10-2017 at 12:49 PM.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
Page 61
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 4th Sep 17, 9:54 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 17,495 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    Keeping Lettuce
    Evening all

My Mum used to keep lettuce thus:

Separate the leaves
    Wash it under cold running water
    leave to dry on a tea towel, covered by another one.
    Pat very gently to dry in the crevices.
    Line a plastic box with a bit of kitchen roll
    Put lettuce in so that the curves are upwards (like tortoises )
    The lettuce (even butter lettuce keeps for about 2 weeks this way
    Hope this helps AElene

Well, on not wasting food - we seem to have a rotation of salads going on at the moment in that DIL made a meal with a potato salad the other day, then came a meal with pasta and today DS1 had requested a Greek salad but we had all the other bits to go along side. To accompany the Greek salad I had made Foccacia bread and that will be available tomorrow and so it goes on! DIL said 'Wow you were spoilt with food as a kid!' to my DS1 who replied 'no, we eat like peasants round here!' Cheek!
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22)
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 5th Sep 17, 7:46 AM
    • 3,223 Posts
    • 6,561 Thanks
    jackyann
    Lynplatinum, I do that all the time - only 2 of us and we like to cook from scratch, so there are always planned 'leftovers'. However sometimes, I call a halt so I can decide what to eat instead of being led by the leftovers!

And yes, peasant food can be wonderful. I have a fantastic book, quite old now called European Peasant Cookery, written by Elisabeth Luard, with loads of information & history as well as actual recipes.

One of my nieces, learning to read, was trying to work out what it said. Her bossy sister said scornfully ' it must say Pheasant Cookery, because everyone knows you can't eat peasants', a startling thought that I have every time I get it down from the shelf.

Which reminds me that soon the pheasants will come in, beautiful meat at a small price, because the the 'shoot' don't take all their birds.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 6th Sep 17, 9:13 AM
    • 15,497 Posts
    • 126,326 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good morning everyone and a beautiful morning it is here in north Kent I was given some lovely pears from one of my ladies trees last night at quiz night so I shall be doing something with them today.

I want to have a good rummage around the freezer this morning to see what I can dig out for dinner tonight. No shopping to do at all this week its all going to come from the freezer if I can. I bought enough fresh fruit and veg last Saturday to keep me going for at least another week.

have a good and frugal day chums

JackieO xx
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 6th Sep 17, 3:12 PM
    • 3,223 Posts
    • 6,561 Thanks
    jackyann
    A real 'love food, hate waste' day!
    Yesterday evening, our neighbours called with 2 enormous bags of apples and pears, picked before they go away for a few weeks. They are retired language teachers and often get the chance, through old contacts, of inexpensive holidays.
    So today, I bottled apples, and poached pears for bottling.
    I usually poach pears in a bottle of red wine, with spices and sugar. I'm happy to shell out, as then I have a few 'posh puddings' to hand during winter. But today I hunted through the fridges & cupboards: half a bottle of Mateus Rose (just about the only wine I can't get a taste for!) left by a visiting relative, a good slug of a strange Bermudan spirit given to us by said neighbours a few years back, and a carton of grape juice left from last Xmas 'fake mulled wine for kids and drivers' recipe.
    I have been sampling all afternoon, and it tastes good!
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 6th Sep 17, 9:01 PM
    • 3,412 Posts
    • 17,225 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    A real 'love food, hate waste' day!
    Originally posted by jackyann
    We've been a little hit and miss over here. We're moving house in a week, so trying to use up the fridge and freezer. However, the stresses and tiredness of packing and the rest is pushing us to easy dinners and too my shame we've been having takeaways.
    So far the only casualty has been a bag of limp salad.
    I have managed to salvage two mangos and boxed to take to work tomorrow.

We have accidentally packed the tin opener (bf told me he had sorted some utensils we won't need, so I boxed them up). I had to take a tin of carrots to work today so I could open them ready for home.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    Nov NSD's - /25 / Lose weight 29.0 lbs / 30lbs
    EF Challenger #36 £1000/£5050
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 6th Sep 17, 10:17 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 7,805 Thanks
    kboss2010
    This week I made a sausage casserole with leftover baby spuds, some sad carrots left in the veg drawer, bisto (which we seem to have heaps of & never use for some reason!), Worcester sauce & frozen sausages. Paired with a couple of batches of leftover frozen herb mash potato that's been in the freezer forever.

Can't say I was overly optimistic about the condition of the mash but it was surprisingly fine!

I bought cheap baked beans once but they've been in the cupboard for ages so I rinsed the tomato sauce off them & made them into refried beans.
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 7th Sep 17, 9:45 AM
    • 15,497 Posts
    • 126,326 Thanks
    JackieO
    Tonight's dinner will mainly from my freezer ,mashed potato's gammon steak and mixed veg, pudding will be fresh ,greek yogurt and diced white grapes mixed together. I am determined to run down my freezer, not only to use up what I have spent already but so I can defrost it before Christmas.I am playing freezer tetris at the moment so with luck and a following wind I hope to get it empty enough so I can put some into DDs freezer and give mine a well overdue defrosting.
    Onwards and upwards chums

JackieO xx
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 7th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    • 4,840 Posts
    • 69,761 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Also still trying to empty freezers and cupboards, but not waste anything.

last night we had fish and chips from the freezer, using up some frozen fish that DD had brought back from her student flat. The fish was bought buy her flatmate - who doesn't like fish . We happily used it up.

I dug out some mince this morning. That will make chilli, using up a few tins into the bargain. we don't eat much rice (though have some to use) but will probably have with kimchi and avocado. Maybe add some beetroot on the side, it needs using.

if I need lunch (had a big brekkie) then i will have a small salad, using some of that stuff.

OH is away with his mum all weekend, so me and the kids will have several 'freezer surprise' type meals.

In the spirit of using up (but slightly off topic), DS is off to uni next week and i am trying to kit him out from what we have. We sold our caravan earlier in the year so have much kitchen stuff from that, plus what DD bought back and doesn't now need, i think we can keep our purchasing to a minimum.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 7th Sep 17, 6:20 PM
    • 3,223 Posts
    • 6,561 Thanks
    jackyann
    I love hearing about the odd things that happen to others - so I know it's not just me who ends up with odd stuff!

And raphael - don't worry, life just goes haywire when you're moving - or having work done in the kitchen!

About 30 years ago, when 'ready meals' were not so easily available, we were having the kitchen extended, re-fitted etc. I was amazingly organised, feeding 6 of us happily for the 2 weeks it was supposed to take. Things got a bit ragged then, and finally I took the credit card to M&S and bought stuff like 'duck a l'orange' to heat up! I refused to feel guilty!

I do hope the move goes well!
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 7th Sep 17, 6:59 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 7,805 Thanks
    kboss2010
    I'm planning on making a slow-cooker casserole for dinners next week & was debating what to have it with - just bought a 5kg bag of reduced spuds from co-op for 79p and spent the past couple of hours peeling & chopping to make HM potato wedges for the freezer & enough mash to feed an army lol!

Well at least I won't have to buy any more potatoes for a while, I hate having to buy bags that sprout after a week!
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 7th Sep 17, 9:15 PM
    • 3,412 Posts
    • 17,225 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    And raphael - don't worry, life just goes haywire when you're moving - or having work done in the kitchen!
    At least were we're moving too, the local shop is further away. So not so many 'emergency' trips for biscuits and nibbles.
    Did manage to cook from the freezer today. BF had chicken, I had mackerel (he's not a fish fan) I would have liked rice, but we're out. There was an option of new pots or noodles. I opted for pots.

We have a few days of overlap between picking up the house keys (Monday ) and handing back our flat keys, so I can set the freezer up to settle before switching it on. It is just a small counter-top freezer, so limited room. But at least nothing will be defrosting in the transfer across town.
    I'll have time then to clean out & defrost the fridge-freezer for the new tenant.
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 7th Sep 17, 9:44 PM
    • 3,223 Posts
    • 6,561 Thanks
    jackyann
    That sounds pretty organised to me!
    I have never (except during my training in London) never lived near a shop, so have always had to have a store cupboard. That was how my mother organised her housekeeping as well, so it was second nature.
    I also only have a small freezer, but I think it keeps me disciplined! I had a larger one when I was feeding a big family, and every few months we had UFO dinner - unidentified frozen object. That happens less now, although last summer I got the ice cream out of the freezer to soften up a bit, then started to serve what turned out to be celeriac soup left over from winter!
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 8th Sep 17, 7:56 AM
    • 289 Posts
    • 3,034 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    JackyAnn - celeriac sorbet? That sounds like the kind of thing you'd get in a posh restaurant! That could so easily happen to me. I have parsnip and apple soup, custard and cheese sauce all in very similar looking pots in my freezer. The potential for cauliflower custard or crumble and parsnip soup is there!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 8th Sep 17, 9:39 AM
    • 15,497 Posts
    • 126,326 Thanks
    JackieO
    Thanks for that Ginmonster, I think we all have been there ,Isn't it weird that no matter how organised I am I still forget to label stuff in the freezer.Soup's not so bad as it always goes once frozen into the bottom drawer along with clingfilm wrapped fish.Its the boxes of stuff that I have to think,now is that chilli for myself which I adore, but not for DGS Jack who loathes it and frozen apples can get confused with other stuff I have frozen. I now have a piece of paper blue tacked to the front of my freezer with one word in large letters on it LABEL As I am running down my freezer I no doubt will come across some UFO's so the next month or so will be ...interesting to say the least
    • AElene
    • By AElene 8th Sep 17, 10:48 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    AElene
    I'm curious about the idea of a lettuce keeper, I'm off to google it now.

Last week's lettuce went manky, sadly, but as it's getting into autumn now I'm guessing we won't be getting many more lettuces, as the veg box company tend to deliver seasonal veg.
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 8th Sep 17, 2:18 PM
    • 289 Posts
    • 3,034 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    I'm feeling very pleased with myself today as I've been using my 4 year old's first full day at school to get some washing and cooking done.

I turned a very old bag of frozen green beans ( which I like but neither of the men I my life do) into a kind of pesto/pate thing with garlic, lemon, oil and cashew nuts. It tastes lovely and I might be able to sneak it past them on pizza or pasta or even just on toast. Then I made a coconuty cauliflower curry from most of a huge cauliflower and used up the last of a bag of frozen spinach in there too with some lentils to fill us up ( I know, we'll need the windows open in our house!). I also made a veg and chickpea tagine for our tea tonight and finished off some halloumi for my lunch by frying it with onion, pepper and tomatoes and serving with a dollop of humous. For pud I finished off some stewed rhubarb that needed eating with some natural yoghurt.

And now I'm having a cuppa and a sit down before I go and get the boy and hear all about his exciting day. :-)
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 8th Sep 17, 4:16 PM
    • 26,030 Posts
    • 105,462 Thanks
    candygirl
    GM that all sòunds yummy.I have a big bag of frozen green beans, n some pine kernels so.might experiment later
    Got a new hand blender yesterday, so have a pan of potato n leek soup.on the go.I love it with a bit of garlic n chilli flakes too
    Tea tonight is either chips n egg, or omelette n chips, as my eggs are needing using up.
    Laughing at the UFOs.I never label freezer stuff, n just hope for the best
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 8th Sep 17, 5:45 PM
    • 3,412 Posts
    • 17,225 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    That sounds pretty organised to me!
    I have never (except during my training in London) never lived near a shop, so have always had to have a store cupboard. That was how my mother organised her housekeeping as well, so it was second nature.
    When I was single, I had takeaways probably once in 6 months, and never popped to the shops for snacks. If it wasn't bought during the weekly shop, I couldn't eat it.
    Now I have a bad combination of being easily swayed with a snacky BF. He used to be a takeaway every-other-day-er, so his diet has improved while I give in more often than I used to.
    • carlislelass
    • By carlislelass 8th Sep 17, 6:01 PM
    • 1,594 Posts
    • 3,988 Thanks
    carlislelass
    I'm feeling very pleased with myself today as I've been using my 4 year old's first full day at school to get some washing and cooking done.

I turned a very old bag of frozen green beans ( which I like but neither of the men I my life do) into a kind of pesto/pate thing with garlic, lemon, oil and cashew nuts. It tastes lovely and I might be able to sneak it past them on pizza or pasta or even just on toast. Then I made a coconuty cauliflower curry from most of a huge cauliflower and used up the last of a bag of frozen spinach in there too with some lentils to fill us up ( I know, we'll need the windows open in our house!). I also made a veg and chickpea tagine for our tea tonight and finished off some halloumi for my lunch by frying it with onion, pepper and tomatoes and serving with a dollop of humous. For pud I finished off some stewed rhubarb that needed eating with some natural yoghurt.

And now I'm having a cuppa and a sit down before I go and get the boy and hear all about his exciting day. :-)
    Originally posted by Ginmonster

Think I'd starve if I lived with you!!!!
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 8th Sep 17, 7:26 PM
    • 289 Posts
    • 3,034 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    Think I'd starve if I lived with you!!!!
    Originally posted by carlislelass
    I'm not offering!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,547Posts Today

9,973Users online

Martin's Twitter