Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    • 14,929Posts
    • 120,968Thanks
    JackieO
    Love Food, Hate Waste
    • 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    Love Food, Hate Waste 27th Feb 17 at 4:33 PM
    I have been surfing around the internet this afternoon and found a site about Stop Wasting Food I think had quite a good idea ,in that instead of restricting ourselves from certain stuff during Lent perhaps it would be better to limit the over buying, and use up the initial stuff we already have .There is apparently a Russian young lady who seemingly has reduced the amount that Dennmark wastes by changing peoples out look in the supermarkets, and they have significantly reduced the amount of stuff being binned into landfill

Now to me that seems like a pretty good idea. The supermarkets have reduced amounts binned by instead of offering BOGOFFs they have reduced single purchases so its more economical to buy less. Doesn't sound like a bad idea ,I can understand people buying large amounts if they have larger families, but how often have we all been swayed by BOGOFFs,myself included. What do you all think ?
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
Page 47
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 15th Jul 17, 2:12 PM
    • 3,038 Posts
    • 5,756 Thanks
    jackyann
    I wouldn't freeze quiche, anything with significant amounts of egg in it goes rubbery.
    The ham would be good candidate for the vac packer, but I think it would freeze fine on its own.
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 15th Jul 17, 2:13 PM
    • 756 Posts
    • 18,306 Thanks
    MMF007
    Oh Yorkslass, i made the courgette bake and it is fab!

I followed your original recipe but used soya flour and added a little milk to the egg/flour mix as it was a bit thick without.

I also added some grated butternut squash just because i had some left, and some black onion seeds, just because i had them and thought they'd go well, and the last 5 slices of chorizo that I'd bought YS in Morries.

I cooked it in a tray bake re-usable foil thjngy, about 14" by 8", for about 50 mins on gas 4.

I have a feeling that this dish will be different every time!

Right, tennis is on, i'm off!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 15th Jul 17, 4:49 PM
    • 218 Posts
    • 1,649 Thanks
    purpleybat
    I have a question I'm sure you knowledgeable lot can answer. I was given a pack of wafer thin ham (the sort that has added water) and I don't think I'll be able to use it all up before it goes off. Do you think it's ok to freeze or will it go a bit weird because of the added water?

Thanks!
    Originally posted by bargainhunterss

i've frozen it a few times before and seem to remember it being a bit 'wet' when defrosted, I just dried it a bit with kitchen roll, tasted okay.
    tho saying that I've used it for my frozen sarnies before and I can't say I noticed any massive difference, maybe the sarnie was a little limp but they're usually only just defrosted when I scoff them.
    at the moment all my sarnies for work are 'frozen' cos no one is replacing the bust fridge in the canteen.
    gc jan 148.59/150 feb 134.58/150 mar 148.35/160 apr 139.24/160 may 165.78/160 june 129.05/160 july 148.23/170
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 15th Jul 17, 6:24 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 2,676 Thanks
    YorksLass
    I have a question I'm sure you knowledgeable lot can answer. I was given a pack of wafer thin ham (the sort that has added water) and I don't think I'll be able to use it all up before it goes off. Do you think it's ok to freeze or will it go a bit weird because of the added water?Thanks!
    Originally posted by bargainhunterss
    Yes, it will be fine. If there's a lot of it, I'd portion it up first and then you can take out just what you need. Suggestions other than sandwiches - in a pasta meal (eg ham & mushroom), shred and use as a pizza topping, ham/cheese/tomato toastie, omelette filling.

Oh Yorkslass, i made the courgette bake and it is fab!

I followed your original recipe but used soya flour and added a little milk to the egg/flour mix as it was a bit thick without.

I also added some grated butternut squash just because i had some left, and some black onion seeds, just because i had them and thought they'd go well, and the last 5 slices of chorizo that I'd bought YS in Morries.

I cooked it in a tray bake re-usable foil thjngy, about 14" by 8", for about 50 mins on gas 4.

I have a feeling that this dish will be different every time!

Right, tennis is on, i'm off!
    Originally posted by MMF007
    Glad you like it! And yes, it probably will be different every time - mine usually is. It's a very forgiving recipe and definitely a "useful-for-using-up-odds-and-ends" one.

At lunchtime today we weren't that hungry so we each had a couple of vol au vents filled with creamed mushrooms that I'd made using up some mushroom stalks.

We've treated ourselves to a half leg of lamb for tomorrow's dinner; there should be enough meat on it to make 2, maybe 3, meals and I'll use up any LO bits as a filling for spicy lamb & chickpea pasties - always useful for a mid/end of week meal.

Baking day tomorrow as the cake tin is empty. One sad, over-ripe banana to be transformed into a banana loaf and the carrot mountain - or at least some of it - will magically turn into a carrot and orange cake which will also take care of the last orange in the fruit bowl.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

July GC: £160 - £152.02 = £7.98 NSDs 15/28
    June GC: £200 - £203.13 = £3.13 NSDs 26/35
    May GC: £160
    - £149.63 = £10.37 NSDs 20/28
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 16th Jul 17, 8:18 AM
    • 14,929 Posts
    • 120,968 Thanks
    JackieO
    I have a small bowl of mushroom stalks, trimmed and ready to use up in an omelette for breakfast this morning in the fridge

Last of my carrot and coriander soup used up yesterday I may make some spicy lentil tomorrow for a change as I have plenty of those in the cupboard.
    • Skintmama
    • By Skintmama 16th Jul 17, 5:39 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 1,411 Thanks
    Skintmama
    On Friday I needed to use a log of goat cheese. I made a ratatouille, sliced it onto the top and grilled it until melted. We had this in toasty, warmed mediterranean wraps. The left over ratatouille will be eaten tonight with pollock and potatoes.

Chicken stock has been made. I couldn't be bothered to strain it late last night so it cooked slowly all night. It seems okay and is a better colour than usual.

I made a Double Cream cake as I had to use up a pot of cream quickly. This uses double cream instead of butter for the fat in the cake and makes a lovely fluffy sponge. I made a sandwich cake with jam out of one half and will freeze the other. It makes a good base for cooked or fresh fruit to serve as a dessert.

Feeling like a more summery breakfast I varied my usual egg on toast. I rubbed the toast with a garlic clove, halved and squashed some slightly wrinkly cherry tomatoes on top before finishing it with an egg gently fried in olive oil. It made a nice change, although I appreciate it wouldn't be for everyone!

Plenty of other using up has gone on but now been forgotten. It is just so nice being able to keep up with it.
    GC March £100/£100 GC April £140.47/£150
    GC May £150.16/£150 GC June £187.40/£200
    GC July £186/£200
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 16th Jul 17, 11:33 PM
    • 876 Posts
    • 16,979 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    Using up and long winded recipies!
    Hiya y'all

This week used up some Dukka I bought DS1 for Christmas by mixing it with some stuffing mix and using it as a coating for some pork loin chops (on offer in L!dil) V yum but must admit I adapted this idea from Jackie O who told us about covering chops in stuffing mix and baking them.

Another saving was to serve them with some roasted potatoes that needed using up and also cooked some spinach wrapped in foil with a little butter and very finely diced garlic in the oven with all of this so that only the oven was on.

Tonight I tried a new recipe which was Sweet potatoes stuffed with a mince mixture and scattered with cooked bacon, cheese and baked and adorned with sour cream. Served it with a salad (some lettuce needed using up). But oh heck did it take ages to do. If I had done it their way I would have used 9, yes 9!!! different cooking dishes! I managed to get it down to 4 - therefore less washing up! but really! Tasted delicious though

Not the cheapest recipe either - am gonna have to spend some time tomorrow typing it out so that the recipe is more logical, uses less pots/dishes and takes less time!

BTW anyone got good ideas for using up sour cream?? (why do they sell it in such HUGE pots??)
    Night all!
    Aim for July 17: 22/31 days to be NSDs
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • Skintmama
    • By Skintmama 17th Jul 17, 9:21 AM
    • 452 Posts
    • 1,411 Thanks
    Skintmama
    That sweet potato dish sounds very nice - let us know when you have devised the simplified version

Hiya y'all

BTW anyone got good ideas for using up sour cream?? (why do they sell it in such HUGE pots??)
    Originally posted by Lynplatinum
    I don't know why the large pots! Sour cream is very good used in muffins as the liquid component, likewise Greek yoghourt and Creme Fraiche. I tend to make Nigella's Pear and Ginger Muffins (Nigella Express), although I use whatever fruit I have available of course.
    GC July £186/£200
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 17th Jul 17, 9:33 AM
    • 17,060 Posts
    • 43,124 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Night all!
    You can get sour cream in small pots - Tesco do a 150ml one.

I use creme fraiche instead of sour cream, I usually plan a goulash one week and the rest of the creme fraiche lasts until I do a stroganoff the following week.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 17th Jul 17, 2:42 PM
    • 14,929 Posts
    • 120,968 Thanks
    JackieO
    Dinner tonight is LO from last night's dinner at DD's so only have to make some gravy, and zap in the m'wave tomorrow is quiz night at the pub so I get fed there so no cooking until Wednesday Happy Days
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 17th Jul 17, 5:06 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 2,676 Thanks
    YorksLass
    BTW anyone got good ideas for using up sour cream?? (why do they sell it in such HUGE pots??) Night all!
    Use as a substitute for mayo in sandwiches/potato salad/pasta sauces/devilled eggs, make a creamy soup, turn it into a salad dressing or dip, in baking (eg cakes, scones, biscuits, muffins), as a topping on baked potato, in scrambled eggs. You could freeze it and, whilst this may change the texture, it will be fine to use in cooked dishes.

Dinner tonight is LO from last night's dinner at DD's so only have to make some gravy, and zap in the m'wave tomorrow is quiz night at the pub so I get fed there so no cooking until Wednesday Happy Days
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Happy Days indeed!

Yesterday's dinner was roast lamb, new potatoes, the last bit of a sweetheart cabbage, a piece of courgette bake and gravy. The LO potatoes (they weren't really LOs, I purposely did extra ) have been turned into potato salad for tomorrow's dinner.

Tonight's dinner is cold cuts of lamb with hm chunky chips and braised red cabbage that's doing in the SC now. This time I've tried something a bit different with the cabbage; as well as the usual cabbage/onions/apples etc mix, I've added some star anise. It smells good so hopefully it will taste good as well. A very large potful (surprising how far one red cabbage goes) so plenty to be portioned up for the freezer. And before I made it, I had to rescue the brown sugar that had turned into a hard block, despite the bag being sealed. I just tipped it into a large bowl, covered it with a clean damp tea-towel and left it overnight. Result: soft sugar again - which is now in an airtight lidded container.

I'm glad I did the baking yesterday as it's very warm here today, not a day to be in the kitchen. The carrot and orange cake has been cut into squares and is maturing in the cake tin. I'd only used the zest from the orange but have drizzled some of the juice over the cake and it’s really moist (like feeding a Xmas cake with booze).

I also made a banana loaf with the last squishy banana and topped it with some mixed chopped nuts (a use-up item). As DH doesn't like bananas I used half the cake mixture (minus the banana of course) to make an orange & chocolate chip loaf for him so that took care of the rest of the orange juice and chocolate chips (more use-ups). Now I need more flour!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

• JackieO
    • By JackieO 18th Jul 17, 2:40 PM
    • 14,929 Posts
    • 120,968 Thanks
    JackieO
    Had some left over lamb meat, left over from Sunday's left overs IYSWIM and so I put in into my small Kenwood chopper and ground it up small.

Into a saucepan I chucked some diced red onions from the freezer and then once they had softened I chopped up some mushroom stalks (never waste anything that's edible me ) and put them in as well, followed by the minced up lamb.I then made a bit of bisto powder gravy up and cooked the whole lot for about 10-15 minutes gently at a slow bubble .Peeled some slightly sprouty spuds, and boiled,mashed and added some of the grated cheese from the fridge (re crumbly cheese from last week )
    Got two rectangular plastic boxes with lids and divided the meat mixture between the two, put half a tin of baked beans on each of top of the meat mixture and covered both boxes with the cheesy mashed potatoes.
    Result two small dinners to go into the freezer for another day once cold

They are about the size of a ready-made frozen meal that you would buy from the supermarket but at a fraction of the price.

With fresh broccoli or cabbage and carrots I have streetched out the left overs to make two spare meals. I have managed to use up some of the cheese mountain I have in the fridge, plus the sprouty spuds, and the left over lamb meat, in effect its almost free just by a little bit of effort and if I need a quick meal on a night when I get in late easy enough to defrost and zap in the microwave

Yorkslass any chance of the carrot and orange cake recipe please, it sound right up my street. that brasied red cabbage sound gorgeous as well

JackieO xx
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 18th Jul 17, 5:09 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 2,676 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Carrot & Orange Cake Recipe
    Hi Jackie, here's the original recipe with (my) alternatives in red. I know you're not frightened to adapt recipes to suit so feel free! This is supposed to serve 8 but that's probably personal choice, I cut it into 12.

Ingredients:

4 eggs
    7 fl oz (200ml) vegetable oil
    9 oz (255g) carrots, grated
    3 ½ oz (100g) raisins (sultanas, personal preference)
    3 ½ oz (100g) walnut pieces (didn't have any so used chopped mixed nuts)
    Zest of one orange (I drizzled some of the juice over the finished cake)
    7 oz (200g) SR flour
    2 level tsp mixed spice (I’m heavy-handed on this one so mine were heaped! cinnamon or nutmeg would be fine too )
    1 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
    ¼ tsp salt
    7 oz (200g) light brown sugar

Method:

1. Pre-heat oven to 180C / 160C fan / Gas Mark 4
    2. Grease/line a deep 8” cake tin
    3. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the vegetable oil and whisk again.
    4. Add the carrots, fruit, nuts and orange zest and stir.
    5. Sift together the flour, mixed spice, bicarbonate and salt. Stir in the sugar.
    6. Add these to the carrot mix and stir well.
    7. Spoon mixture into tin and level the top.
    8. Bake on the middle shelf of oven for 1 – 1 ¼ hrs. (Mine was done in 50 mins.)

Allow to cool in the tin for 10-15 minutes and then turn out onto a rack to cool completely before cutting. Enjoy!
    Last edited by YorksLass; 18-07-2017 at 5:11 PM.

• YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 18th Jul 17, 5:34 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 2,676 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Braised Red Cabbage Recipe
    This recipe makes A LOT and tells you to do it in the oven; I cook mine in the SC on "Low" until it's soft, around 4/5 hours. It can be served hot or cold and freezes well.

Ingredients:

1 red cabbage, finely shredded
    1 lb (454g) cooking apples, peeled/cored/thinly sliced
    1 lb onions (454g), thinly sliced
    1 clove garlic, chopped small
    ½ level tsp nutmeg
    ½ level tsp ground cinnamon
    ½ tsp ground cloves
    3 level tblsp brown sugar
    3 level tblsp wine vinegar (cider or balsamic is fine)
    ½ oz (15g) butter
    Salt, pepper as required

Method:

1. Pre-heat the oven to 150C / 130C fan / Gas Mark 2
    2. Mix the spices and sugar together in a small dish
    3. Layer the cabbage, apples, onions and garlic in a large casserole dish
    4. Sprinkle each layer with the spice/sugar mixture and a few dabs of butter
    5. Pour over the vinegar (add other liquids as per the variations below if desired)
    6. Put the lid on the dish and cook for 2-2 ½ hrs (stirring once or twice)

Variations:
    Add 7 fl oz (200ml) vegetable stock or water.
    Add a couple of tablespoons of port or orange juice
    Add bay leaves
    Add x5 star anise (I used these - tasted lovely - but when it came to fishing them out the blimming things were so hard to find that next time I think I'll try Chinese 5-spice instead. )

• JackieO
    • By JackieO 19th Jul 17, 5:57 AM
    • 14,929 Posts
    • 120,968 Thanks
    JackieO
    Thank you Yorkslass for the recipes they both look brilliant and very doable, they will be stored in my Online cook book and definitely used

JackieO xx
    • Skintmama
    • By Skintmama 19th Jul 17, 5:47 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 1,411 Thanks
    Skintmama
    Always satisfying to make "free meals" JackieO, conjuring something out of LO bits and pieces.

Mine was a HM pizza last night for DS and I. Having made the dough in the breadmaker I covered it in the last of the ratatouille with the end of a tube of tomato puree mixed in to thicken it. Toppings were then some blobs of cream cheese (I prefer this to mozzarella), chopped snack peppers that no-one was eating, grated cheddar cheese and green olives. As I had 1/2 tin of tuna to use up plus some chicken breast from the previous night, I made each half of the pizza a different flavour. It was absolutely yummy, even if not authentic! I had two pieces and DS ate the rest, last night and for his packed lunch today.

YorksLass - Thank you, I will be making that Carrot Cake very soon as I accidentally bought more carrots than I needed. I love braised red cabbage - it keeps so well in the freezer that I always prepare the whole cabbage too.

I need to do a fridge sort this evening and some meal planning.
    GC July £186/£200
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 20th Jul 17, 5:55 PM
    • 14,929 Posts
    • 120,968 Thanks
    JackieO
    Exhausting day today driving to Heathrow and back, so luckily my freezer will cough up a meal that I can zap in the microwave tonight and I can put my feet up and relax.

There are nights when a quick meal from the freezer is just the job and after spending 6 hours in slow moving traffic I think today is one of them

Cheers chums JackieO xx
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 20th Jul 17, 6:24 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 2,676 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Yesterday I had a dental appointment (nothing major) and went into the Co-op on my way home for milk and a box of dried peas (the only place I can get them now since Sainsbobs stopped selling them). I checked out their ys section - as you do - and bagged x2 small pizzas, a large pizza plus x6 1/4lb beefburgers. The burgers are normally £3.09 for 4 but these packs had 50% extra free, so 6 in all, reduced to £1.90. At just under 32p each, with the addition of potatoes & veg or wedges & salad these will make super-cheap meals.

Last night's dinner was courtesy of the freezer for cod baked in buttered foil and a mix of sweetcorn & peas (no fresh veg left), with mushrooms, new potatoes and parsley sauce. A lemon yogurt for pud for me, nothing for DH.

Tonight's dinner is from the cupboard and freezer - pasta topped with a tomato based sauce that has some gammon and peppers in it and I'll throw in the last couple of wrinkly mushrooms from the fridge for good measure. Plus a sprinkling of halloumi (I love my cheese). Neopolitan ice-cream for pud.

I've got some lamb left over from Sunday and I'm going to try a new recipe to use this up; it's a South African dish called Bobotie, mildly curry'ish, and sounds very similar to moussaka but without the aubergines. I think it will go nicely with turmeric rice and tomato salsa. Best of all, I have all the ingredients in stock.

• MMF007
    • By MMF007 21st Jul 17, 6:31 AM
    • 756 Posts
    • 18,306 Thanks
    MMF007
    Ooh, Yorkslass, if you ever open a pop-up restaurant let me know, I'll be right there! Had not heard of bobotie but it sounds right up my street.

DH wanted beef burgers last night (had 2 YS in the freezer and had a packet of brioche buns in, too. As I am low carbing, and I am sorry but I can't eat a beef burger with just salad, I cast around for something tasty. So compilation omlette using cooked leftovers as follows:

finally diced stringless runner beans,
    2 small pieces of new potato (I know that's carbs but the pieces were very small!),
    2 small cauli florets,
    a slice of onion, nicked from DH's pile,
    a lamb chop, thinly sliced,
    some curry powder,
    1 very large egg, whisked with a dessert spoon of water (chef's tip I was given years ago)
    S&P

Heated all except egg and lamb in non-stick frying pan
    added butter and curry powder and cooked for about 2 mins to release flavour,
    added lamb and egg and cooked as an omlette.
    Oh and a sprinkle of YS parmesan (£2.12 for over 250g!!), finished under the grill.

A lot fewer cals than a burger in a bun and Very tasty.
    Last edited by MMF007; 21-07-2017 at 7:15 AM.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 21st Jul 17, 6:46 AM
    • 14,929 Posts
    • 120,968 Thanks
    JackieO
    MMF007 that sounds delicious, and a nice change as well I don't like b'buns at all and I don't eat bread so I usually have a burger with just salad and or a small jacket spud. I have found that an ordinary bag of potatoes usually have some small to medium size potatoes which more that do me as an addition to salad etc.Really don't need those huge ones that are sold four to a pack.Or I will buy a sweet potato about the size of the palm of my hand and that is also more than enough.
    The filled up omelette sounds like a nice change and a good way to get extra veg as well.

I think I have some cod in the freezer so I may do some baked in foil tonight and I know I have some bits of the Y/S cauli from last week wrapped in foil in the veg drawer of the fridge along with some steamed cabbage and red onion chutney (my treat from myself, to myself )so that will sort me out for dinner tonight.

Still staying well away from the supermarkets and hanging on to my pennies ,whats left over in my food purse this month will get put into next months holiday savings .So far I have managed to get in left over cash around £78 .00 odd since March, it all goes in the pot for our first shop on holiday every little helps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

219Posts Today

1,485Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin