Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    • 14,933Posts
    • 121,031Thanks
    JackieO
    Love Food, Hate Waste
    • 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    Love Food, Hate Waste 27th Feb 17 at 4:33 PM
    I have been surfing around the internet this afternoon and found a site about Stop Wasting Food I think had quite a good idea ,in that instead of restricting ourselves from certain stuff during Lent perhaps it would be better to limit the over buying, and use up the initial stuff we already have .There is apparently a Russian young lady who seemingly has reduced the amount that Dennmark wastes by changing peoples out look in the supermarkets, and they have significantly reduced the amount of stuff being binned into landfill

Now to me that seems like a pretty good idea. The supermarkets have reduced amounts binned by instead of offering BOGOFFs they have reduced single purchases so its more economical to buy less. Doesn't sound like a bad idea ,I can understand people buying large amounts if they have larger families, but how often have we all been swayed by BOGOFFs,myself included. What do you all think ?
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
Page 46
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 12th Jul 17, 1:39 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 2,263 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    I'm on a mission to use up everything perishable before I go away for a week on Friday night so last night's tea was a dhal which used up some squishy tomatoes, half a butternut squash, half a carrot and a tub of tamarind & coconut dip which I got a job lot of for 25p in my last AF order and have been wondering what to do with! It was totally delicious and I put a few portions in the freezer for future work lunches.

Today I've been working from home and made myself some soup for lunch with a whole load of limp lettuce and some carrots. I had to add quite a few flavourings to get it to taste of much as lettuce is a bit bland but with a good dose of onion, garlic, zaatar spice mix, veg stock and a spoonful of marmite it started to taste quite nice! There's 3 more portions of that in the freezer now and it's rammed!

I've invited a friend round for tea tonight as we hardly ever get to see each other what with jobs and kids and the like and she suggested having a takeaway pizza. No way! I've got food to use up! I'm going to do pasta with fried greens, garlic, a little chilli and lots of cheese. Simple but delicious and will use up the I want to say spring greens but I guess they must be summer greens!

Tomorrow is my day off work so I'm planning cauli cheese to have with my 4 year old for lunch to use up the lovely romanescu (no idea how that's spelt) cauli I have. They're so pretty you almost don't want to eat them. Almost... And then Thursday night will be stir fry with the last odds and sods.

And in true OS fashion I shall be baking bread so that we can take butties with us on Friday when we set off. Hubby's secretly terribly disappointed as I think he'd prefer the chance to get a McD's at the service station.
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 12th Jul 17, 2:11 PM
    • 3,038 Posts
    • 5,756 Thanks
    jackyann
    That is interesting, gonebust; I've never seen them in Lidl. I am not near a Lidl, and call in about every 4-6 weeks when I go in that direction. I stock upon the stuff they are good at, and always look down the 'odd' aisle - but have never seen a vac packer, or bags.
    I do use the vac packer for keeping their preserved meats and smoked salmon nice (though in fairness, I rarely have 'left over smoked salmon'!)
    • bargainhunterss
    • By bargainhunterss 12th Jul 17, 2:42 PM
    • 667 Posts
    • 6,056 Thanks
    bargainhunterss
    Have enough HM quiche left over for tonight's meal with lots of salad and some cream caramel from the fridge for pudding.

Celery soup all finished and I will make some carrot and coriander with my y/s carrots from last week that are languishing in the bottom of the fridge. that will do for lunch along with some more of the crumbly cheese and crackers and maybe a diced up apple from the fridge and a few grapes and a chopped up orange for a little fresh fruit pud to 'bulk ' out my lunch a bit
    No shopping for me until Friday morning I have more than enough to get me through until then . a few things on my shopping list ,but nothing that can't wait until then

Have a good and wasteless week chums

JackieO x
    Originally posted by JackieO
    JackieO, you've just reminded me! I had a lovely soup when I was out shopping with my mum (Tomato and Lentil, yum!) so I've just done a bit of research and found a simple recipe for an Italian tomato and lentil soup (http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/italian_lentil_and_69054) which I'll try and I'll let you know how I get on!
    Debt Free as of 2013 BUT now got the biggest debt of all.....house!
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 12th Jul 17, 6:16 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 2,701 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Courgette Slice Recipe
    OK folks, here's the original recipe for courgette slices (with options in red):

375g (12oz) grated courgette (if you haven't enough courgette, make up weight with a mix of other veggies e.g. peppers, mushrooms, broccoli florets/stalks)
    125g (4oz) SR flour
    125g (4oz) grated Cheddar cheese (any cheese or mix of cheeses will do, I used up some halloumi)
    5 eggs (sounds a lot but you can use just 2 or 3 - the consistency will be denser - or make up the difference with some milk)
    2 rashers of bacon, cut into small pieces (or left-over meat e.g. gammon/chicken is fine; sometimes I miss this out altogether)
    1 onion, diced
    1 medium size carrot, grated
    1 tsp dried mustard powder (optional / try a dash of Worcester sauce instead)
    Salt/pepper as desired (or mixed herbs)
    Any left over veggies e.g. peas, sweetcorn. I've been known to add left-over stuffing or pad out with breadcrumbs.

1. Grease or line a pie dish/cake tin (I used an 8" square cake tin) and pre-heat oven to 180C /160C fan / Gas Mark 4
    2. Mix vegetables and cheese together in a large bowl
    3. Beat eggs and add flour; mix well (a few small lumps won't matter )
    4. Pour over veg/cheese mix, stirring well
    5. Spoon into dish/tin and smooth top down (you could sprinkle extra grated cheese on top)
    6. Bake on middle shelf of oven for 40-45 mins

Serve hot or cold (can freeze or re-heat). This quantity makes 4 servings but could make 6 or 8 to suit smaller appetites. A food processor helps with prepping the veggies but isn't a "must"; an ordinary hand-grater will do (just takes a bit longer). The possibilities are endless .... .... have fun experimenting.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Aug GC: £200 - £0.00 = £200 NSDs 0/35
    July GC +£7.98 June GC -£3.13 May GC +£10.37

• Skintmama
    • By Skintmama 12th Jul 17, 6:45 PM
    • 453 Posts
    • 1,431 Thanks
    Skintmama
    Fantastic - thank you YorksLass, that looks such a great recipe. I look forward to having a go at it - I must be improving Thank you for the encouraging words too.

WeeMidgie - HM nutmilks are so different to the bought ones but as you say, they don't keep long. How long do you blend the nuts and water for in order to not have to strain them at all? I have a high speed blender but still end up with some pulp, which I use up in meatloaf, cakes etc.

jackyann - thank you for the vacuum sealer information. I will be on the lookout for one now. I like new gadgets but only ones that I will use a lot and I think I would use that. I especially like the idea of preparing meats/fish in marinades that I can just pull out of the fridge or freezer and use. It would be great for my HM burgers and patties too.

Everyone - thank you for the continuous influx of ideas. There is always something I can learn on here. I now keep cabbage fresh in foil JackieO and can say that it works much better than clingfilm.
    GC March £100/£100 GC April £140.47/£150
    GC May £150.16/£150 GC June £187.40/£200
    GC July £186/£200
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 12th Jul 17, 8:44 PM
    • 757 Posts
    • 18,325 Thanks
    MMF007
    Oh Yorklass, that recipe is right up my street. I am low csrbing but apparently I can use potato starch as a thickener (no idea why that is acceptable but as wheat is definitely bad for me I'll go with it!). Thanks!

I can confidently predict that tomorrows dinner will be leftovers because, i) we have a takeaway tonight and we always make it do 2 meals, and ii) the tennis is on tomorrow and it is my afternoon off so I won't be cooking unless rain stops play!

Hmm, I can't remember the last time we had a takeaway, which is good! I find that more often it is quicker to cook something than find the menu, choose the dishes, order, wait for them to cook it, and go for it (nearest takeaway is too far for delivery, iyswim).
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 12th Jul 17, 9:33 PM
    • 14,933 Posts
    • 121,031 Thanks
    JackieO
    Yorkslass just got in from Dds as I stayed to dinner there and spotted this recipe looks delicious and uses up so many things that I have in stock already I have popped it into my Online Misers cookbook Thank you so much it looks brilliant

JackieO xx
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 12th Jul 17, 10:14 PM
    • 876 Posts
    • 16,984 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    thanks and Im still alive and kicking!
    Evening all,

Re the Perogi (sorry still probably not spelt that right - dyslexia doesnt help with English - let alone other languages) gonebust. We just have them plain - sometimes with a little olive oil and freshly chopped herbs over it - sage is particularly good (very finely chopped) and salt and pepper. Than you to the other poster (with the Ukrainian father ??? who answered for me - with that interesting heritage you probably know more than I do about Perogi etc and I am happy to bow to that knowledge!

I really admire Lid!l as they keep on having different themed weeks - possibly the most unhealthy was the Eastern Eupropean one for me as I love their deserts and wafer biscuits!!! The American week did my DIL no good as she loves hot dogs and Reese's peanut butter cup cakes and milkshakes and ........

The Italian weeks are fine, because I can buy one or two packets of naughty biscuits and eat healthily from the other foods on offer! these weeks certainly make shopping more fun!

We are still wasting very little - a few cherries (bought off a market type stall) had to be thrown as they went off v quickly) but apart from peelings we have stuck to meal plan. Had yummy meal tonight as my DS1 cooked pesto infused tofu (his purchase) with some marinated mushrooms cooked in the microwave for a few moments and some parmisan chucked over pasta - v tasty!!!

Im not a tennis fan but it feels too hot to have the oven on at the moment. Love the courgette recipie - could we have the nut butter how toos as well please?

Frugaling today was going out to a free park with little un and wearing her out playing 'phoo Sticks' and 'trolls under the bridge' and chasing Nanny and Daddy round flower beds. DIL had wanted to go to one of these soft play places - but weather turned lovely so fresh air was enjoyed by all instead!
    Nite all
    Aim for July 17: 22/31 days to be NSDs
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • WeeMidgie
    • By WeeMidgie 12th Jul 17, 10:24 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 4,240 Thanks
    WeeMidgie

WeeMidgie - HM nutmilks are so different to the bought ones but as you say, they don't keep long. How long do you blend the nuts and water for in order to not have to strain them at all? I have a high speed blender but still end up with some pulp, which I use up in meatloaf, cakes etc.

Originally posted by Skintmama
    Hi Skintmama, I use a small handful of soaked almonds to two mugfuls of water, and blend for about 3 to 4 minutes, in two bursts. I turn the dial up to 10 on the Vitamix, and then switch up the boost button on the left hand side of the machine. It makes all the difference in blitzing the nuts, which break down much better when soaked overnight and skinned.

I'm not sure which model of machine I have, but it's between 8 and 10 years old. It was a major investment, however between smoothies and nut milks, I reckon it has earned its keep.

Edited to add: also great for silky smooth soups. I also have the dry blending goblet which came free with my machine, and use it to e.g. turn porridge oats into oat flour, rice into rice flour and desiccated coconut and other nuts into nut flours.
    Last edited by WeeMidgie; 12-07-2017 at 10:34 PM.
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 12th Jul 17, 10:24 PM
    • 876 Posts
    • 16,984 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    PS
    Was wondering what to do tomorrow as DS1 rather altered meal plan by doing noodles tonight. And then I read this thread - three options have now appeared: coleslaw (of course coleslaw - it will use up dying carrot and 1/4 cabbage nicely) and some tinned hot dogs and potato slices (we have pots to use up). 2 : stir fry (of course stir fry - it will use up dying carrot etc etc 3: grated veggie 'patties' (grate any odd veg - toss in a bit of flour and a beaten egg - fry in little lumps/ patties/ rosti (if we are gonna be posh here) and serve with salad! now only problem from your inspirational thoughts, dear friends, is which to choose???? LOL
    Aim for July 17: 22/31 days to be NSDs
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 13th Jul 17, 7:09 AM
    • 3,038 Posts
    • 5,756 Thanks
    jackyann
    Lidl sometimes have those fantastic chocolate rolled wafers that you get in posh ice cream parlours abroad. They are very well sealed and last for ages, so I buy a tin whenever I see them, to put by for celebrations.
    A sweet neighbour bought me back a tin from Italy as a gift!
    • Skintmama
    • By Skintmama 13th Jul 17, 5:03 PM
    • 453 Posts
    • 1,431 Thanks
    Skintmama
    Thank you WeeMidgie for the nut milk information. I don't have a Boost button but will try the rest of your method as I love almond milk.

Nut butters - These are made simply from nuts which have been roasted and cooled. They are blended in either a high speed blender, or a powerful food processor. I use the former, a Vitamix which I purchased with a small inheritance. My Kitchenaid Classic was a gift from my grandmother before she died, as we shared a love of baking. These make the people very much a part of my daily life - I don't wear jewellery, or surround myself with expensive or luxurious things typically as I am rather down to earth. Anyway back to how to make the Nut Butter!

https://blenderladyblog.com/864/nut-butter/ covers how to make it in a Vitamix, plus some useful info on which nuts blend most easily.

http://www.greenkitchenstories.com/homemade-nut-seed-butter/ gives the method for a Magimix. They make the point that the food processor needs to be powerful and to beware of overheating the motor.

Overheating the motor is the biggest danger whatever machine you use - don't be afraid to switch off and let things cool down. A jar of nut butter is not worth trashing your appliance! It took me 2 years and a fair amount of research to brave having a go at it in the Vitamix. I suspect my Kenwood FP would not be up to the job. If anyone decides to try making nut butter I would urge you to be very cautious. Start with peanuts, as they turn to butter more easily than almonds.

I hope I have warned people enough. I don't want to feel responsible for killing off people's food processors and blenders!

Storing the Nut Butter in the fridge helps stop it going rancid. It spreads straight from the fridge and doesn't separate out.
    Last edited by Skintmama; 13-07-2017 at 5:08 PM. Reason: Storage information
    GC March £100/£100 GC April £140.47/£150
    GC May £150.16/£150 GC June £187.40/£200
    GC July £186/£200
    • GrowingPlants
    • By GrowingPlants 13th Jul 17, 7:24 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    GrowingPlants
    The slow cooker is currently bubbling away with 2 soft beetroots, 3 bendy carrots, a yellow pepper, sweet corn and the remainder of a jar of tomato and pineapple chutney. Once it's done and I have a final taste I'll decide if it's to go with pasta, rice or couscous.
    July 2017 grocery challenge £61.44/£100
    • WeeMidgie
    • By WeeMidgie 13th Jul 17, 7:28 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 4,240 Thanks
    WeeMidgie
    Thank you very much, Skintmama, that is very useful. I have never been brave enough to make nut butters, but will consider it now. Good warning on not overheating the motor. Ironically, I bought a jar of almond nut butter today, but hopefully won't be buying any more thanks to you!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 15th Jul 17, 7:47 AM
    • 14,933 Posts
    • 121,031 Thanks
    JackieO
    off to do my big shop this morning Only the second this month early start to miss all the traffic hopefully I have my list and will stick to it like glue
    • bargainhunterss
    • By bargainhunterss 15th Jul 17, 12:41 PM
    • 667 Posts
    • 6,056 Thanks
    bargainhunterss
    I have a question I'm sure you knowledgeable lot can answer. I was given a pack of wafer thin ham (the sort that has added water) and I don't think I'll be able to use it all up before it goes off. Do you think it's ok to freeze or will it go a bit weird because of the added water?

Thanks!
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 15th Jul 17, 12:59 PM
    • 990 Posts
    • 7,410 Thanks
    kboss2010
    I have a question I'm sure you knowledgeable lot can answer. I was given a pack of wafer thin ham (the sort that has added water) and I don't think I'll be able to use it all up before it goes off. Do you think it's ok to freeze or will it go a bit weird because of the added water?

Thanks!
    Originally posted by bargainhunterss
    I'm not sure I'd freeze any meat you aren't planning on cooking once defrosted.

I'd probably just make a quiche Lorraine with it.
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • SunnyGirl
    • By SunnyGirl 15th Jul 17, 1:03 PM
    • 2,455 Posts
    • 31,366 Thanks
    SunnyGirl
    I've frozen this sort of ham loads of times and it's been fine. One of my sons would at one point only eat Bernard Matthews turkey ham (can't stand the stuff myself!) so I used to buy the better value bigger packs and put 4 slices (a sandwiches worth for him) into little freezer bags or cling film that was then twisted up and put into the freezer. He used to lift a bag out when he wanted to make a sandwich and it defrosted in less than an hour
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 15th Jul 17, 1:05 PM
    • 14,933 Posts
    • 121,031 Thanks
    JackieO
    Hmm I think I too would make a quiche with it then possibly freeze portions of it ,but I'm not sure how it would come out, If you can't use it up there is usually a dog or animal around who would probably eat it.

Have got all my shopping now and nothing at all to buy for the rest of this month Still under budget for the month by £18.79, and unless I have any unexpected food to buy this will get swept into my holiday account for next month
    • bargainhunterss
    • By bargainhunterss 15th Jul 17, 1:17 PM
    • 667 Posts
    • 6,056 Thanks
    bargainhunterss
    Thanks SunnyGirl and JackieO �� I'll have a go with freezing in portions and see how much get on
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,998Posts Today

8,669Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin