Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    • 15,236Posts
    • 123,658Thanks
    JackieO
    Love Food, Hate Waste
    • 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    Love Food, Hate Waste 27th Feb 17 at 4:33 PM
    I have been surfing around the internet this afternoon and found a site about Stop Wasting Food I think had quite a good idea ,in that instead of restricting ourselves from certain stuff during Lent perhaps it would be better to limit the over buying, and use up the initial stuff we already have .There is apparently a Russian young lady who seemingly has reduced the amount that Dennmark wastes by changing peoples out look in the supermarkets, and they have significantly reduced the amount of stuff being binned into landfill

Now to me that seems like a pretty good idea. The supermarkets have reduced amounts binned by instead of offering BOGOFFs they have reduced single purchases so its more economical to buy less. Doesn't sound like a bad idea ,I can understand people buying large amounts if they have larger families, but how often have we all been swayed by BOGOFFs,myself included. What do you all think ?

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 13-09-2017 at 9:14 AM.
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
Page 45
    • gonebust
    • By gonebust 7th Jul 17, 2:08 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 620 Thanks
    gonebust
    Evening all

today bought frozen Polish style dumplings - imitation Perogi in other words from L!dil. Really nice. DIL suggested rice with them. Well I made a spicy rice and used onion garlic and half of a cabbage as I stir fried the rice with spices and herbs. My friend gave me a courgette plant on Wednesday - this evening when I watered it I thought I could see 3 courgette 'buds' Yea Growing my own!
    Frugaling forward!
    Originally posted by Lynplatinum

Lyn, tell me about those dumplings please??

I see them all the time in Lidl and want to try them but don't know what to do with them? Do you make a sauce or gravy for them or what?
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 8th Jul 17, 12:11 AM
    • 2,503 Posts
    • 23,443 Thanks
    sashanut
    Lyn, tell me about those dumplings please??

I see them all the time in Lidl and want to try them but don't know what to do with them? Do you make a sauce or gravy for them or what?
    Originally posted by gonebust
    Growing up with a Ukrainian father we had pierogi (pronounced pirro-hey) only at Christmas where the ladies made huge numbers of them fresh - but now to have them 'ready made' is amazing!! Sometimes we had them with a bit of fried onion and/or bacon, depends what the filling inside is. Other folks probably had them with sour cream but my dad didn't eat much fat so that was a no-no. Also melted butter for the same reason!

The ones I like best are the ones with potato & cheese inside, I normally get them from Tesco & we joke they are the only Ukrainian fast food. I just grate cheese on top & eat them like that. My advice is try them & see, I suppose you could treat them a bit like a ravioli tbh.

Ps Sorry for jumping on your thread LynneP - it's the first time I've seen them mentioned on MSE LOL!!
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 8th Jul 17, 10:12 AM
    • 15,236 Posts
    • 123,658 Thanks
    JackieO
    Had a delve around the freezer and found some nice fish that I shall use up today with some steamed sweetheart cabbage, and some asparagus that I also found frozen.Its a nice piece of cod that I will bake in foil with some herby butter and a dash of paprika on top. I love spicy /herby mixes and I find that fish can be a bit bland without them. I have some creme caramel in the fridge made yesterday for pudding so everything being eaten today comes from existing stocks Definately no shopping for me until possibly next Thursday as I have mapped out what I can use up for dinners until then .I only have two things on my shopping list by the kettle at the moment sand neither of them are urgent plus its far too blimming hot to be going trailing around the shops

Have a good weekend chums what ever you are doing

Cheers JackieO xx
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 8th Jul 17, 5:11 PM
    • 870 Posts
    • 20,479 Thanks
    MMF007
    Lunch in the garden, in the lovely sunshine! Used up lots of bitsa - bits of this and bits of that. We had a mini sausage roll, some manchego cheese, a slice of ham, some tomatoes and HG lettuce leaves with HG potatoes as potato salad using the last of a YS bottle of herby mustard dressing. It was lish!

I have some YS carrots, an onion and a butternut squash (79p from Aldi) to make into soup later. I always make a largish batch, one portion each for me and DH then I give one portion to my elderly neighbour and freeze the rest. Like you Jackie, I love HM soup!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • WeeMidgie
    • By WeeMidgie 8th Jul 17, 6:44 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 4,309 Thanks
    WeeMidgie
    I defrosted 6 chicken drumsticks and made a casserole using lemon wedges and green olives. The second night, the 3 left over drumsticks and the sauce/gravy had a tin of vegetable curry added. And tonight, I've added half a tin of sweetcorn and a generous amount of frozen spinach to the left over gravy, and will serve sprinkled with nuts, desiccated coconut and a dollop of mango chutney. All from freezer, fridge or stores.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 9th Jul 17, 5:42 AM
    • 15,236 Posts
    • 123,658 Thanks
    JackieO
    Weemidgie thats amazing, well done for steeetching out the drumsticks .Often its just looking at what you have and seeing how you can make it go further. I have been using up the crumbly cheese in almost every meal and its slowly going down I even had some with a few crackers for supper last night. Won't be buying Valley Spire again.I feel sure its been frozen and defrosted its so crumbly.
    • GrowingPlants
    • By GrowingPlants 9th Jul 17, 4:07 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 346 Thanks
    GrowingPlants
    For lunch today I had a yummy soup, the base was LO Thai sauce from last nights dinner with finely slides radishes ( the last 5 in the fridge) and mushrooms added.
    July 17 GC £61.44/£100 : August 17 GC £30.40/£50
    Sept 17 GC £46.18/£100
    • WeeMidgie
    • By WeeMidgie 9th Jul 17, 9:31 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 4,309 Thanks
    WeeMidgie
    Excellent, GrowingPlants, often these leftover use-it-up meals are the tastiest and the most fun, as JackieO said, looking at what you have and magicking up a meal from ends of things and being prepared to experiment with new combos.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 10th Jul 17, 7:54 AM
    • 15,236 Posts
    • 123,658 Thanks
    JackieO
    Have enough HM quiche left over for tonight's meal with lots of salad and some cream caramel from the fridge for pudding.

Celery soup all finished and I will make some carrot and coriander with my y/s carrots from last week that are languishing in the bottom of the fridge. that will do for lunch along with some more of the crumbly cheese and crackers and maybe a diced up apple from the fridge and a few grapes and a chopped up orange for a little fresh fruit pud to 'bulk ' out my lunch a bit
    No shopping for me until Friday morning I have more than enough to get me through until then . a few things on my shopping list ,but nothing that can't wait until then

Have a good and wasteless week chums

JackieO x
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 10th Jul 17, 9:51 AM
    • 268 Posts
    • 2,708 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    We were away at a family wedding at the weekend and got back yesterday. Hubby wanted to order a takeaway but I smacked that down straight away as we're going on hols for all of next week and need to use up all the perishables.

With using it all up in mind I made some carrot tops into pesto and had that with some leftover tomato paste/basil pesto mix, the biggest spring onion in the world, some mushrooms and pasta for tea last night. It was delicious and hubby polished off the extra portion that would have done me for lunch today. Thankfully I always have plenty of lunches stashed in the freezer from previous meals so today will be some vegetable thai green curry.

Tonight I'll be on my own for tea so it'll probably be a quick veg stir fry or egg on toast.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 11th Jul 17, 8:14 AM
    • 15,236 Posts
    • 123,658 Thanks
    JackieO
    No cooking for me tonight as I'm at the pub quiz and I get fed there along with the entrance price . worked out that I can streetch things out until Friday morning for the shopping. only spent just over £3 odd so far this month ,using up what I have indoors
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 11th Jul 17, 10:47 AM
    • 3,104 Posts
    • 6,041 Thanks
    jackyann
    I agree JackieO that cheese does not on the whole, freeze well. I have occasionally frozen grated cheese, but really to save waste, as it loses flavour.
    I have a vacuum packer. Every so often there is a thread on here about how worthwhile they are. My first one lasted me 15 years, and I liked it so much that I decided to shell out for another one. It is especially good for cheese, but also useful for many things. I don't plan to freeze much meat or fish (usually 4 chicken thighs & 2 salmon steaks) - I have a small freezer. But every so often, plans change. Vacuum packing the meat prevents 'freezer burn' - or will just keep it fresh in the fridge for an extra few days.
    I have often written on here about my love of cooking a piece of gammon, and using it up. I find the vac packer makes such a difference to how long it will keep.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 11th Jul 17, 3:49 PM
    • 15,236 Posts
    • 123,658 Thanks
    JackieO
    jackyann that sound brilliant where did you get it from I seem to spend a fortune on clingfilm and foil and in foil its often forgotten whats in there
    • Skintmama
    • By Skintmama 11th Jul 17, 6:28 PM
    • 457 Posts
    • 1,503 Thanks
    Skintmama
    I really like the idea of having a vacuum packer Jackyann - great to hear how useful it could be. I always find frost in things that I have frozen in normal bags.

I haven't felt very interested in food lately but have kept going with the minimal waste challenge. Reading all your posts has helped with that
    Homemade muesli and nut butters have been so successful that I am now having to buy in stuff to make them! Not quite what I had in mind when I started making them Ditto on being on an endless round of HM muesli bars and flapjacks. The good thing though is that as long as I can keep this up all my ingredients will be fresh when they are used up and there won't be a build up of stores.

Last week a slow roasted piece of beef made lots of meals and sandwiches. We took 6 days to eat it all and the meat was still fresh smelling and tasting at this point. This week a large YS chicken is the theme; Roast dinner, with chips and salad, in sandwiches and tonight in a risotto. Also, I slow cooked 6 joints of YS chicken for the dog, giving me lovely stock for the risotto and lots of meat picked off the bones for him. (He is elderly and on a special diet.) I have today split a kilo of bacon bits into smaller bags, flattening them out for ease of defrosting. All the frozen soups have been finished off so I will have to think about my lunches again. The last couple of days I have had leftover broccoli cheese on toast but today only had cheese and biscuits which was not filling enough

Some of the other things I have been doing include making up spice mixes and being inventive with substitutions. If something requires a grain, or an oil, or a fat, or a sweetener etc. I will just use what I have in and it always seems to work out well. It is actually giving me a lot more confidence with food and I can make many recipes work even if I don't have any of the exact ingredients. I have now realised that this is exactly what cookery writers do - experiment and put it in a book if it works!

Hoping my cooking mojo will return soon
    GC March £100/£100 GC April £140.47/£150
    GC May £150.16/£150 GC June £187.40/£200
    GC July £190/£200 GC August £200
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 11th Jul 17, 6:54 PM
    • 252 Posts
    • 3,189 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Skintmama: So sorry to hear your cooking mojo has deserted you but it sounds as if you're doing really well, despite that. And it's great that your confidence is growing. We all have to start somewhere! I know a lot of things I cook hardly ever turn out the same the second time around due to using substitutes of whatever I have in and no-one's ever complained.

Had to change my meal plan around a little this week as DH went into town to get a new battery for his watch but he had a wander round the market as well and came back with 6 breadcakes, 6 slices lunch tongue, 8 slices cooked turkey and a large punnet of strawberries. I hate shopping but he doesn't mind, hence the "wander". Bless, he doesn't like strawberries, but he knows I do.

For Sunday dinner we had hm pork casserole (from freezer), new potatoes and sweetheart cabbage. Still a bit of cabbage left but I'll use that tomorrow to make coleslaw for a salad.

Last night we had a beef/onion/pepper stir-fry with black bean sauce and noodles. Normally I'd use two sachets of sauce but this time I used just one and made up the difference with a bit of water and some oyster sauce from a bottle in the fridge. Also, only used one of a twin pack of beef escalopes and the other went in the freezer for another time.

Tonight we're having pork steaks (from freezer) in BBQ sauce (another use-up), broccoli and potato croquettes.

The humungous stock of rice, pasta etc that I had at the beginning of LFHW has gone down considerably to much more manageable quantities. But I did buy a packet of orzo the other week.

Today I've used quite a few bits from the fridge to make courgette slices (a bit like a crustless quiche). I can't remember where I got the recipe from but it's a keeper - uses up all kinds of odds and ends, very adaptable according to what you have in, can be eaten hot or cold, freezes well and can be re-heated. I use it as a substitute for fresh veg on dinners, as part of a salad, for a snack and it's also a good addition to lunch boxes. I can post the recipe if anyone wants it.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Sep GC: £160 - £108.22 = £51.78 NSDs 15/28
    Aug GC: £200 - £115.38 = £84.62 NSDs 28/35 July GC +£7.98 June GC -£3.13 May GC +£10.37

• maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 11th Jul 17, 7:35 PM
    • 3,078 Posts
    • 27,029 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Skintmama: So sorry to hear your cooking mojo has deserted you but it sounds as if you're doing really well, despite that. And it's great that your confidence is growing. We all have to start somewhere! I know a lot of things I cook hardly ever turn out the same the second time around due to using substitutes of whatever I have in and no-one's ever complained.

Had to change my meal plan around a little this week as DH went into town to get a new battery for his watch but he had a wander round the market as well and came back with 6 breadcakes, 6 slices lunch tongue, 8 slices cooked turkey and a large punnet of strawberries. I hate shopping but he doesn't mind, hence the "wander". Bless, he doesn't like strawberries, but he knows I do.

For Sunday dinner we had hm pork casserole (from freezer), new potatoes and sweetheart cabbage. Still a bit of cabbage left but I'll use that tomorrow to make coleslaw for a salad.

Last night we had a beef/onion/pepper stir-fry with black bean sauce and noodles. Normally I'd use two sachets of sauce but this time I used just one and made up the difference with a bit of water and some oyster sauce from a bottle in the fridge. Also, only used one of a twin pack of beef escalopes and the other went in the freezer for another time.

Tonight we're having pork steaks (from freezer) in BBQ sauce (another use-up), broccoli and potato croquettes.

The humungous stock of rice, pasta etc that I had at the beginning of LFHW has gone down considerably to much more manageable quantities. But I did buy a packet of orzo the other week.

Today I've used quite a few bits from the fridge to make courgette slices (a bit like a crustless quiche). I can't remember where I got the recipe from but it's a keeper - uses up all kinds of odds and ends, very adaptable according to what you have in, can be eaten hot or cold, freezes well and can be re-heated. I use it as a substitute for fresh veg on dinners, as part of a salad, for a snack and it's also a good addition to lunch boxes. I can post the recipe if anyone wants it.
    Originally posted by YorksLass
    Yes please the recipe sounds useful.
    • WeeMidgie
    • By WeeMidgie 11th Jul 17, 8:47 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 4,309 Thanks
    WeeMidgie
    Another yes please for the recipe, YorksLass, it sounds really versatile.

Heck's 97% meat sausages were on offer so I had 2 each night, ringing the changes with using up veg from fridge and freezer.

I had to get inventive for breakfast the last 2 days. As there were ripe strawberries in pots on the patio, I've used them. I soaked almonds overnight in water, removed the skins and put half in a bowl with the strawberries and some oatbran.

The rest of the almonds were whizzed in my high speed blender with fresh water to make almond milk, and poured over the 'muesli'. Mmmm. There's enough of everything for tomorrow too.

The % of almonds in commercial almond milk tends to be quite low, about 2% IIRC. The bulk of what you pay for is water.... Making it at home is dead straightforward and very money saving! I just use almonds and water. Some people add vanilla or dried apricots prior to whizzing, but simple suits me. I've found it has a short life, it seems ok for up to 3 days in the fridge, provided it's in a sealed container. I use a Kilner jar. It tastes fine, with the added enjoyment of being so
    Last edited by WeeMidgie; 11-07-2017 at 8:50 PM.
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 11th Jul 17, 10:25 PM
    • 3,104 Posts
    • 6,041 Thanks
    jackyann
    hello to those interested in the vac packer.

It is strange trying to buy one on the internet - the prices vary wildly, and the brand names seem to change. Friends who have bought them seem to have very similar ones, all sold under different names.
    Mine is a Magic Vac, but the only ones I can see for sale look very different.

If you Google, you will have to weed out the following:
    Storage systems for blankets & duvets!
    Commercial vacuum packers & Sous-vide machines, they cost hundreds, even thousands!

Today, the cheapest I can see is this one:
    http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/jml-food-vacuum-sealer
    £39.99, it looks similar to mine.

This one looks good, but considerably dearer:
    http://www.lakeland.co.uk/19653/Foodsaver-Vacuum-Sealer-FFS002

I buy bags from this site:
    https://www.bagsoffreshness.co.uk/

You do have to factor in the cost of the bags- as I said, I certainly think it worthwhile. I find using the roll more economical. It is not easy to re-use them, but if I have some cold meat, I cut the bag a little bit bigger, and then simply re-seal it each time.

Something I like to do in summer, is to marinade some meat or fish, and then vac pack it - it will keep several days in the fridge and is handy for quick BBQs and grills.

To give you an idea, I looked in my fridge, and these are vac-packed:

some salami & prosciutto slices from Lidl, left over from a family meal - they will keep for a couple of weeks at least
    a piece of smoked trout from the Farmers' Market, left over from Saturday lunch - that too will keep nicely for a couple of weeks
    A piece of Cheddar,bought a month ago, and just opened for dinner today- then I re-sealed it.

Hope that helps, oh and I'd like the courgette slice recipe as well, please!
    • gonebust
    • By gonebust 12th Jul 17, 9:34 AM
    • 169 Posts
    • 620 Thanks
    gonebust
    The vac packers come up in lidl every few months as well. We get our bags from there
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 12th Jul 17, 12:36 PM
    • 15,236 Posts
    • 123,658 Thanks
    JackieO
    HM Shepards pie from the freezer with the last of my sweetheart cabbage that I bought over a 10 days ago . Wrapped in foil and stored at the bottom of the fridge it last for ages, and I just cut off enough at a time to steam for each meal. I also have the tail end of a pot of greek lemon flavoured yogurt that DD donated to my fridge she wasn't keen on it, so I will have that with a few grapes diced up to 'bulk it out a bit
    Quick and easy meal tonight as I want to watch some more of the tennis

JackieO xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,865Posts Today

6,437Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin