Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    • 14,790Posts
    • 119,288Thanks
    JackieO
    Love Food, Hate Waste
    • 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    Love Food, Hate Waste 27th Feb 17 at 4:33 PM
    I have been surfing around the internet this afternoon and found a site about Stop Wasting Food I think had quite a good idea ,in that instead of restricting ourselves from certain stuff during Lent perhaps it would be better to limit the over buying, and use up the initial stuff we already have .There is apparently a Russian young lady who seemingly has reduced the amount that Dennmark wastes by changing peoples out look in the supermarkets, and they have significantly reduced the amount of stuff being binned into landfill

Now to me that seems like a pretty good idea. The supermarkets have reduced amounts binned by instead of offering BOGOFFs they have reduced single purchases so its more economical to buy less. Doesn't sound like a bad idea ,I can understand people buying large amounts if they have larger families, but how often have we all been swayed by BOGOFFs,myself included. What do you all think ?
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
Page 41
    • crazytree
    • By crazytree 18th Jun 17, 3:36 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    crazytree
    Loving the idea of the breakfast bars Skintmama! I might have to pinch that recipe and probably change it some more! I've loads of oats to use up coz I don't much fancy porridge at the moment! It's 30 degrees here

Today I've recycled one portion of mince into two portions of Bolognese sauce by the addition of tomato puree and half a tin of chopped tomatoes . It's a bit hot for that sort of dinner but I need something quick that I can eat and leave some for himself. I'm going to work soon and he's been out all day.

Luckily Himself went shopping for today's packed lunch last night and he bought loads of icelollies which definitely won't be wasted!

T
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 18th Jun 17, 3:55 PM
    • 721 Posts
    • 17,683 Thanks
    MMF007
    Just popped in for a break from burning sunbathing in the garden. I used up a third of a cooked chicken breast with some coleslaw, added a teaspoon of curry powder, mixed all up and served on chopped iceberg. Yummy lunch and refreshing.

Not sure what tea will be yet. DH is visiting his parents but I shall produce something (probably a bacon butty for him, as he will have had a roast for lunch!). We have some stewed rhubarb in the freezer so I'll get that out soon and serve it really cold with a drop of cream. No ice cream in this house, too much sugar in it! We were given quite a lot of rhubarb by a neighbour so I stewed it with sweetener and portioned into freezer. Oh, we also have some frozen summer fruits, that will be nice tomorrow evening

Nothing likely to go to waste as far as I can see but it is a while since i checked the best before dates on a few packets and tins. Happy to use after best before but do rotate stuff to make sure the oldest is used first.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 18th Jun 17, 4:03 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 2,231 Thanks
    YorksLass

I have been meaning to post this recipe for a while. It is in response to the talk of using up nut butter.
    My choices/substitutions are in red......Blueberry, Oat and Banana Breakfast Bars.....Ooooer doesn't look much like the original..
    Originally posted by Skintmama
    That's definitely in the spirit of LFHW! But it illustrates well just what can be done with a little imagination.

Small spend on Friday - £10 - on things to supplement what I already have in stock for this week's meal plan, but I won't need anything else until next weekend. Good job, as there's only £1.37 left in the budget to last until the end of June. But it's not all doom and gloom as there's plenty in the freezer, fridge and cupboards. If the worst comes to the worst I can use some of my loyalty points, but I'll be trying my best to not do that, if I can.

Absolutely scorching here today and what are we having for dinner? Beef casserole. With kale and new potatoes. It's to use up some YS braising steak from the freezer; it's in the SC now, so at least it's not adding to the heat in my hot, hot kitchen. And there'll be enough left over for another dinner, although that may go back in the freezer for when the weather cools down a bit. It's also used up another packet casserole mix. Afters will be the last of the cooked rhubarb and ginger yogurt.

Salad is on the cards for tomorrow or the next day and, with that in mind, I've made some coleslaw that's used up an almost-bendy carrot, a bit of onion, the last middle bit of a sweetheart cabbage and mayonnaise (another jar gone from the fridge). I also made a tub of couscous flavoured with chilli flakes and a glug of sweet chilli sauce. Any LO spuds from today will turn into potato salad.

Used up another tin of chickpeas for HM houmous that's in the fridge for tonight if we fancy a snack, maybe with breadsticks or crispbreads.

I know I have 3 tablets of jelly in the cupboard and also tins of fruit, so I think I'll make some individual fruit & jelly pots later on when the sun has moved round a bit and the kitchen isn't as hot; we can have those for puddings during the week.

I've also got my eye on a packet of fajita mix to use with what's left of last weekend's pork - shredded with the addition of onions, peppers, mushrooms, half a tin of chopped tomatoes; served with herby potato wedges that will make us another dinner.

Mid-week will probably be a cod loin steak baked in buttered foil, new pots and broccoli with some kind of sauce (mustard? cheese? mushroom?).

All looking good.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

May GC: £160 - £149.63 = £10.37, NSDs 20/28 June GC: £200 - £198.63 = £1.37, NSDs 16/35
    • GrowingPlants
    • By GrowingPlants 18th Jun 17, 4:48 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    GrowingPlants
    I think I'm going to give this a go, I very rarely throw any food out but with knowing I'll be moving soon the store cupboard needs eating as I won't have the space to transport it during the move. I already have arranged with the next person to move in that I will be leaving my spices for him.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 20th Jun 17, 7:43 AM
    • 14,790 Posts
    • 119,288 Thanks
    JackieO
    With all this heat I am finding that using up odd things to go with the salad is a bonus.Over the past week I have had so far a Tuna and sweetcorn one, a pilchard and mayo one (sounds revolting doesn't it but its quite nice really a small tin of pilchard or sardines mushed up with some mayo.Just make a change from boring ham.Or an egg mayo salad, cheap as chips as a boiled egg mashed with pepper and salt and mayo and even a dash of curry powder makes lettuce,tomato and sliced cucumber with diced beetroot quite a filling and tasty meal. I usually have some chopped fruit wit yogurt for pudding.But the heat means I an not very hungry anyway .I do drink gallons of water though to keep me hydrated. Most important this weather to replace the moisture you are losing from your skin.When my OH worked in Africa back in the 1980s he was told to drink a pint every hour and it would keep headaches at bay and it worked

JackieO xxx
    Last edited by JackieO; 20-06-2017 at 2:20 PM.
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 20th Jun 17, 5:10 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 2,231 Thanks
    YorksLass
    With all this heat I am finding that using up odd things to go with the salad is a bonus.Over the past week I have had so far a Tuna and sweetcorn one, a pilchard and mayo one (sounds revolting doesn't it but its quite nice really a small tin of pilchard or sardines mushed up with some mayo.Just makes a change from boring ham. JackieO xxx
    Originally posted by JackieO
    We had salad yesterday and normally it would be a fishy one - tuna, sardines, mackerel, salmon, pilchards - but we had "boring" ham to use up a YS pack from the freezer. It was a nice change for us!

This morning breakfast for me was a mashed banana on toast sprinkled with some mixed spice and DH had mashed sardines on toast. Not really hungry at lunchtime so half a YS cheese & onion slice for me whilst DH had crackers and cheese and finished off with a few grapes.

Tonight it's the pork & veggies mix and I'll be using up a packet of fajita seasoning mix with it (yippee, another one gone). It was going to be with herby potato wedges but DH said he'd rather have noodles so that's what it'll be.

Made the individual fruit & jelly pots on Sunday evening (tangerine jelly with mandarin segments) and added a couple of ginger cake squares from the cake tin instead of trifle sponges - quite a nice combination. A small topping of whipped cream from the freezer finished it off nicely.

Still have a paltry £1.37 left in this month's budget and I'm hoping I won't go over. That will probably be spent on Friday for milk for next week so I'll have to do a lot of freezer diving if I'm to last out! That said, there are quite a few hm ready meals in the freezer as well as things like chicken, mince etc to make other meals, plus what's in the fridge and store cupboards, so it should be OK.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

May GC: £160 - £149.63 = £10.37, NSDs 20/28 June GC: £200 - £198.63 = £1.37, NSDs 16/35
    • 2childmum
    • By 2childmum 20th Jun 17, 5:45 PM
    • 170 Posts
    • 2,070 Thanks
    2childmum
    We had a so called 'sweet and sour turkey' from the recipe book which came with the slow cooker - which must be about 28 years old! It tasted of almost nothing, and I have a portion left, but to be perfectly honest I don't think anyone will want it in it's present form. It has turkey chunks, green peppers, red onion slices and pineapple in. I'm considering washing off the tasteless sauce, and trying to think of another sauce to put it in - or at a pinch a sachet of sweet and sour sauce. Any ideas?
    May spend - £291.40/£320.00
    June spend - £106.40/£320.00
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 20th Jun 17, 6:03 PM
    • 2,037 Posts
    • 5,861 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I'd just add more ingredients from a S&S recipe - you need vinegar, sugar (or equiv) plus maybe ketchup or pineapple juice or soy sauce depending on what it is lacking.
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 20th Jun 17, 7:04 PM
    • 721 Posts
    • 17,683 Thanks
    MMF007
    Thanks to 2 YS's, a 2for1 offer, 20% off another and a 29p packet of rice we had
    Chicken korma,
    Green beans,
    Rice with sunflower seeds,
    Sweetcorn and spinch fritter,
    Poppadoms and chutney.

M-m-mhhhh, yummy.

DH gave it high praise by saying 'I could eat that all again'
    • Floss
    • By Floss 20th Jun 17, 8:37 PM
    • 3,601 Posts
    • 27,606 Thanks
    Floss
    We often have green bean curry when we have a glut The rice with sunflower seeds sounds interesting - how did you make that? If I make korma DH will add chilli sauce to his.
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 20th Jun 17, 9:55 PM
    • 721 Posts
    • 17,683 Thanks
    MMF007
    Hi Floss, the rice was a packet of microwave rice we bought in B&M (I think!), a Pataks one. we don't often eat rice, well I don't (low carbing) so i never replaced the dried pkt when it was finished. If I see a bargain microwave pkt I get one for the cupboard, for DH.

It is an indulgence but when we are exhausted after work I can grab something from the freezer and micro rice for DH while I just have veg with my meal. Still cheaper than a takeawy or a sm meal!

Sorry, no recipe!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 21st Jun 17, 9:00 AM
    • 14,790 Posts
    • 119,288 Thanks
    JackieO
    Freezer diving today for dinner tonight ,very hot here in Kent so I won't be cooking a great deal i think I will get a couple of frozen beetroots out from the freezer to defrost and make a huge salad with odds and ends in the fridge to just pick at when I feel like it. I have a large jug of water in the fridge to sip at during the day.Its 28c already in my garden in Kent so I shall be indoors with the windows open and feet up doing absolutely nothing today Housework and cooking can wait until its a bit cooler
    • GrowingPlants
    • By GrowingPlants 21st Jun 17, 5:15 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    GrowingPlants
    Tonight dinner will be chocolate cake ( leftovers from Mondays work lunch) and BBQ veg + boiled new potatoes (leftover from today's work lunch). I have put the cake down first as I have already eaten it while the veg is still in the fridge.
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 21st Jun 17, 6:12 PM
    • 721 Posts
    • 17,683 Thanks
    MMF007
    Tonight dinner will be chocolate cake ( leftovers from Mondays work lunch) and BBQ veg + boiled new potatoes (leftover from today's work lunch). I have put the cake down first as I have already eaten it while the veg is still in the fridge.
    Originally posted by GrowingPlants

GrowingPlants, I sometimes eat my dessert while I am prepping dinner, if I come in from work 'starving'. It saves me snacking and then having dinner and pudding!
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 22nd Jun 17, 2:43 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 2,075 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    I made a lovely chilli last night with a load of bendy veg and mixed beans and was so happy I'd managed to use up the stuff that needed using. And then I forgot to put the leftovers in the fridge last night. Gah! I binned the rice obviously but I froze the chilli in a couple of portions for my work lunches as I figured it's only veg and I do have a pretty cast iron stomach on the whole. I'll discover how wise that was at some point in the next few weeks...
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 22nd Jun 17, 2:51 PM
    • 14,790 Posts
    • 119,288 Thanks
    JackieO
    Had a bowl of chopped fruit for breakfast as I really couldn't face cooking anything and had a quick mushroom omelette for lunch to use up the mushrooms. Dinner tonight will be chicken kiev in the remoska, some steamed veg and some m'waved mash left over from a potful I made up last night.

Drinking plenty of fluids though to keep hydrated, my old Mum swore by a pot of tea, no matter what the weather a little rain at lunchtime but it barely wet the streets. Just about to take DGS Henry swimming so we can cool off a bit.

JackieO xx
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 22nd Jun 17, 3:12 PM
    • 4,518 Posts
    • 33,292 Thanks
    joedenise
    Had a few mushrooms which needed to be dealt with so have chopped and frozen so I can add a few whenever I cook mince to add a bit of flavour, along with the chopped peppers which I already freeze when I use whole peppers, usually for roasting. I just slice across the top of the pepper and then chop the bits of pepper off the stalk ready to add to mince, soups etc.

Also recently had some red wine leftover so instead of throwing away I poured into a silicone icecube tray and have now got a snack sized bag of ready frozen red wine cubes to add a bit of flavour to gravies etc.

Denise
    • elona
    • By elona 22nd Jun 17, 3:29 PM
    • 10,970 Posts
    • 57,149 Thanks
    elona
    I made a chicken and veg pasta this morning. Meant to use frozen peppers as well as onions but could not find any in the freezer so used can tomatoes, onions, chicken steaks, diced tin of carrots, chicken stock and frozen peas with some tarragon, black pepper and parsley.

It made about four helpings so I have frozen a couple of portions and have a large tub in the fridge for tonight and lunch tomorrow. Had a couple of bananas for lunch as they were getting too ripe and had a cheese omelette this morning.

A pack of diced beef is defrosting and plan to make a large beef and mushroom pie for tomorrow evening as dd and sil are staying overnight and then I am cat sitting here till Sunday afternoon. Will use a pizza base as pastry as need to nip out for fresh mushrooms later.

Might need a small loaf and milk as well.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • MinimalistGwyn
    • By MinimalistGwyn 22nd Jun 17, 3:54 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    MinimalistGwyn
    JackieO I really appreciate your starting this thread. It's taken me about a week to read but I've picked up lots of tips. This morning a mum of children that my girls go to school with gave me a huge bunch of radishes and a bag of salad leaves that were left over from this week's farm share. I've never met her before and was very touched. We are very fortunate to live near lots of farms so I try and buy my fruit and veg from there when we run out so I don't need to go to the supermarkets and be tempted by things we don't need!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 23rd Jun 17, 8:48 AM
    • 14,790 Posts
    • 119,288 Thanks
    JackieO
    Gwyn thats great isn't it nice when someone passes on something to use up I never say no and try to reciprocate if I can, Maybe a small HM cake or some cookies for the children would be a nice gesture.Kindness to virtual strangers usually reaps rewards in all sorts of ways, after a a stranger is a friend you haven't yet met.

Today I am doing a short list of things I may possibly need before the end of the month food wise.At the moment I have only three things on the list, so I can manage with what I have over the weekend at least.

I have a small pack of bacon, as yet not used, which will be eaten over the next few days either with an egg for breakfast, or topped up with bean as well for a lunch, or some wrapped around a chicken breast for dinner and cooked to be had with salad and new potatoes

Last night I had a chicken kiev from the freezer with cheesey mash(left overs ) and some steamed sweetheart cabbage and red onion pickle and it was delicious.

Tonight I have some steamed Y/S salmon from the freezer with some left over steamed cabbage and some garden peas from the freezer, (a present from a friend last year she gave me a huge bag from her allotment, and I only eat them now and again )plus a couple of new potatoes

I have enough new jersey spuds to last until mid-week next week I think They are all scraped and in water, already to cook, in the fridge.

I do all of the potatoes in one go while watching tv, and store in fresh water in the fridge and it save lots of time .

I only cook around 6-8 small ones at a time then have half with one meal, and the rest with a salad for the next dinner saves cooking time and standing in the kitchen scraping spuds.

I do most of my veg prep in advance so I always have veg ready to cook when I need it.

Gald you have enjoyed reading to post Gwyn and its given you some ideas.I try to stay out of the supermarkets as much as possible, and make do with what i have in stock. Its often surprising what you can make out of just a few ingredients, and I am still trying to eat down my freezer so I can do a major defrost before the winter time

JackieO xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,295Posts Today

9,856Users online

Martin's Twitter