Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    • 15,247Posts
    • 123,878Thanks
    JackieO
    Love Food, Hate Waste
    • 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    Love Food, Hate Waste 27th Feb 17 at 4:33 PM
    I have been surfing around the internet this afternoon and found a site about Stop Wasting Food I think had quite a good idea ,in that instead of restricting ourselves from certain stuff during Lent perhaps it would be better to limit the over buying, and use up the initial stuff we already have .There is apparently a Russian young lady who seemingly has reduced the amount that Dennmark wastes by changing peoples out look in the supermarkets, and they have significantly reduced the amount of stuff being binned into landfill

Now to me that seems like a pretty good idea. The supermarkets have reduced amounts binned by instead of offering BOGOFFs they have reduced single purchases so its more economical to buy less. Doesn't sound like a bad idea ,I can understand people buying large amounts if they have larger families, but how often have we all been swayed by BOGOFFs,myself included. What do you all think ?

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 13-09-2017 at 9:14 AM.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
Page 40
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 12th Jun 17, 3:19 PM
    • 1,901 Posts
    • 6,356 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I use a spreadsheet for ease of layout when I print it. It is a 1.8m high freezer so I need it typed or the list runs to multiple pages. I cross off/add iems till it gets too messy then update the mater copy and print a new version.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 12th Jun 17, 9:50 PM
    • 25,668 Posts
    • 103,945 Thanks
    candygirl
    JACKIE O.I made your slow cooker rice pud last night, n it got the thumbs up from everyone, even the pooches 😀
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Jun 17, 7:03 AM
    • 13,435 Posts
    • 36,609 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I don't do inventories.... there's food in there .... so I open doors and see what I fancy

If I run out of something ... nobody dies, I just eat something else.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew

...as I was sitting here thinking "Well I have a rough sort of system". That consists of fruit in one basket, bread on another, veg. on another, dairy products on another, other "protein" on another (eg quorn/tofu/etc) and one for miscellaneous (right now a bit of leftovers and some filo pastry).

That's my system - such as it is. Spaces get filled up on specified baskets if I have excess fruit in (eg just harvested a load of fruit from the garden).

It works reasonably - and is possible courtesy of having a very tall freezer...
    If there's "4 tendencies" type of people (Gretchen Rubin) = yep....Questioner type here
    - Meets an expectation only if they believe it's justified and resists anything arbitrary or ineffective
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Jun 17, 7:13 AM
    • 59,947 Posts
    • 350,413 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    .... I was unwell last month, ran out of fresh bread, milk, fresh fruit veg etc ...
    Originally posted by silver-oldie
    Worth checking Milk & More to see if they deliver in your area ... ideal for small orders of stuff. No minimum order, just each item costs a bit more. They're not everywhere, but it's worth checking your own area.... "just in case".
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 13th Jun 17, 7:34 AM
    • 190 Posts
    • 1,973 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Worth checking Milk & More to see if they deliver in your area ... ideal for small orders of stuff. No minimum order, just each item costs a bit more. They're not everywhere, but it's worth checking your own area.... "just in case".
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Thank you, just checked and they do deliver here. Have never seen them, thought milkmen were sadly a 'thing of the past'.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • Doom_and_Gloom
    • By Doom_and_Gloom 13th Jun 17, 12:03 PM
    • 3,379 Posts
    • 10,192 Thanks
    Doom_and_Gloom
    Can I ask a question please?
    How do you keep an inventory of your freezer, cupboards etc?
    Do you have some sort of spreadsheet or just a pen and paper.
    I have garden produce that needs to be frozen in the coming weeks and no freezer room. I need to meal plan to use up what I have and free up space.
    Thank you
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=47459141&postcount=47
    It's an old post of mine (I've been in work quite a while now lol) but still how the inventory is done. Been doing it this way for around ten years I think. Every now and then you have to redo the list but it is worth the time to know so easily what you have. The key is to remember to note when something goes in and out so you know when you need to buy something or not.
    28 year old vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 14th Jun 17, 7:53 AM
    • 15,247 Posts
    • 123,878 Thanks
    JackieO
    Today I shall be freezer diving for tonight's meal.Still have enough salad for lunch though which I shall have with tuna and sweetcorn I mix a small tin of both together with some mayo and that will easily do a couple of lunches with salad bits Nice and quick and easy, I have some asparagus in the freezer which I may use with some new potatoes and a small steak that I know is in there for dinner tonight. I also have a mango that has at last become soft enough to eat(it was rock hard ) and I will chop that up and mix with some natural yogurt for pudding, so thats dinner sorted for tonight
    I shall do my first shop of this month on Friday as by then my salad stuff will all have been used up, and I will need some bits and pieces that I have added to my shopping list throughout the past two weeks .

Really pleased that I have managed to stay away from the shops and I am starting to get a bit of wriggle room in my freezer at last .

have a good day chums

JackieO xx
    • crazytree
    • By crazytree 14th Jun 17, 10:26 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 370 Thanks
    crazytree
    I'm getting better at this now! I had the remains of two boxes of cereal for my breakfast, neither had enough in it for one whole breakfast, so I mixed them. Swiss museli and tropical granola. I thought it would be weird but it tasted fine, there was slightly more than I normally eat and both are very chewy so I am very full with an achy jaw!!! But there's space on the shelf.
    I might have toast tomorrow to save having to shop for cereals.
    • Cupcake Returns
    • By Cupcake Returns 14th Jun 17, 10:54 AM
    • 81 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    Cupcake Returns
    Loving this thread

I was brought up with the motto waste not want not and strive not to throw anything away. Don't always work, sometimes life throws a curveball and best laid plans go amiss but I do my best.

This thread is inspirational
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 14th Jun 17, 5:38 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 3,243 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Can I ask a question please? How do you keep an inventory of your freezer, cupboards etc?
    For the freezer I use a notebook that lives in the drawer at the side of the freezer; for the cupboards it's a list stuck to the inside of each cupboard door; no list as such for the fridge but I check the contents every week and anything that needs using asap gets moved to the bottom shelf to be incorporated into the meal plan. It seems we all have our own system and whatever one you have, if it works for you that's fine.

The rhubarb I cooked at the weekend never made it to the crumble stage but was eaten "as is" with ginger yogurt and very nice it was too. We also had a lovely pudding yesterday made with fresh strawberries, whipped cream and a couple of meringue nests that I found at the back of the cupboard. Not sure how long I've had the meringues (definitely OOD ) but they were fine. I've crushed up the rest of them and we'll have those folded into vanilla ice cream at some stage.

The Sunday pork loin joint stretched to a stir-fry for Monday plus some slices frozen in gravy for another week and the last bit went in the FP this morning with "bits" to make 4 patties (this time it was pork, spring onion, carrot, red pepper and some mushroom stalks whizzed up; added beaten egg to bind together; coated in breadcrumbs and frozen). I'll bake those in the oven along with herby potato wedges and serve with salad.

I don't buy a joint every weekend now it's just the two of us, but when I do I always freeze some slices in gravy so we can still have a traditional Sunday dinner at the weekend - without the oven being on . And the last bit gets the FP treatment mixed with whatever else I have in stock to make a frugal meal for the end of the week.

Tonight we're having a salad (maybe tuna or mackerel, haven't decided yet) and tomorrow's dinner will be a chicken curry made with the meat picked from the chicken wings that I did yesterday in the SC. By the time I've added other things to the chicken, there'll be enough for two meals so, one for tomorrow and one for the freezer. No wonder my freezer never seems to get empty! I have a frost-free one so I don't have to worry about the empty/de-frost problem.

Other bits used up this week: fridge oddments, another stir-fry sauce , finished a packet of noodles, the last bit of apple sauce from a large Xmas jar and a small piece of blue cheese.

And now it's official - cost of living up by 2.9% in May, the highest for 4 years, mainly due to the increase in the cost of holidays abroad and FOOD. Yes, I think we've all noticed our grocery bills going up, thank you very much - don't need to be told. So, we'll all be even more LFHW-conscious, won't we?
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Sep GC: £160 - £108.22 = £51.78 NSDs 15/28
    Aug GC: £200 - £115.38 = £84.62 NSDs 28/35 July GC +£7.98 June GC -£3.13 May GC +£10.37

• Chris25
    • By Chris25 14th Jun 17, 6:52 PM
    • 12,511 Posts
    • 12,083 Thanks
    Chris25
    Can I ask a question please?
    How do you keep an inventory of your freezer, cupboards etc?
    Do you have some sort of spreadsheet or just a pen and paper.
    I have garden produce that needs to be frozen in the coming weeks and no freezer room. I need to meal plan to use up what I have and free up space.
    Thank you
    I have one of these freezer inventory sheets which I printed off. I listed everything in the freezer & put the list inside a photograph frame with a glass front. When I take something out I mark it off with a cross using a glass-writing pen (sorry can't think of the proper name). Then when I add a new item, I only either need to rub out one of the 'Xs' or add a new line for a new product because I'm marking off the glass & not on the paper.
    http://www.buildamenu.com/blog/5-money-saving-resources/

It probably doesn't make much sense until you see the inventory sheet.

I've also got cupboard/pantry inventory sheets but don't do so well with those as there's a lot more to-ing and fro-ing with the cupboards

There are loads of printable ones on Pinterest
    Last edited by Chris25; 14-06-2017 at 6:56 PM.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 15th Jun 17, 9:00 AM
    • 15,247 Posts
    • 123,878 Thanks
    JackieO
    What I had planned for last night will be done for tonight as I was just too full from lunch yesterday to cook last night ,plus it was just too warm,so no waste at all.
    Tomorrow will be my first food shop in June, have lots of fruit and veg to buy plus a few things I have completely run out of.Working my way through the food from the freezer and there is starting to be a little bit of space at last in there
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 15th Jun 17, 6:25 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 3,243 Thanks
    YorksLass
    A few more bits used up today: last scrapings from a jar of tomato chutney (on a cheese sandwich), a naan bread (with tonight's curry) and the last of a block of vanilla ice cream (on fruit & jelly) that seems to have been in the freezer forever and a day.

Tomorrow is my main shop day and so far all I have on the list is salt, dried peas and plasters. These are all "musts", especially the plasters, as yesterday I managed to slice open my finger on one of the FP blades (trust me, they're very sharp). No plasters in the first aid box but luckily I did have some non-adherent dressing pads and a roll of microporous tape so at least I didn't drip all over the place.

I'll be doing next week's meal plan tonight and there could be one or two things to add to the list but, all in all, it will be a very small shop if I want to stay within the budget! With that in mind, I'll be giving Sainsbobs a miss and instead go to the local C!op that doesn't have the same powers of persuasion. Plus, in the same direction, I can drop off a bag of clothes at the Sally Army clothing bank, another bag of odds and ends at the CS, pay in a cheque at the bank and make an appointment at the hairdressers. This last I was going to do the other week but didn't, meaning it's 11 weeks since I last went (normally every 8 weeks) and the old barnet's now in desperate need of shearing!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Sep GC: £160 - £108.22 = £51.78 NSDs 15/28
    Aug GC: £200 - £115.38 = £84.62 NSDs 28/35 July GC +£7.98 June GC -£3.13 May GC +£10.37

• silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 16th Jun 17, 7:56 AM
    • 190 Posts
    • 1,973 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Thank you for all your help and suggestions on how to keep track on my freezer and cupboards.
    I have a fridge/freezer in the kitchen and a large freezer in the garage.
    Neither of them organised in any way, just open door, put it where ever there is space.
    I have found using my laptop easiest way to list things as I can easily add when I find yet another pack of something I didn't know I had.
    I now have sections meat, fish veg fruit etc and I have printed out inventory sheets, and will list everything but there is just so much.
    This is the start of new organised me.
    Thanks again to you lovely people for your help.
    • Skintmama
    • By Skintmama 16th Jun 17, 9:36 AM
    • 457 Posts
    • 1,514 Thanks
    Skintmama
    Good morning all

I have been meaning to post this recipe for a while. It is in response to the talk of using up nut butter. From Nick Knowles "Proper Healthy Food". They make a soft flapjack rather like the pre-packed commercial individual ones. They were really popular in our house.

My choices/substitutions are in red.

Blueberry, Oat and Banana Breakfast Bars

150g unsalted butter/salted butter
    2 tbsp runny honey/crystallized honey
    2 tbsp maple syrup/agave syrup
    130g caster sugar/light brown sugar
    2 tsp vanilla extract/didn't use any
    300g rolled oats
    30g sesame seeds/sunflower seeds
    70g flaked almonds/chopped almonds
    75g almond butter or peanut butter/almond butter
    3 ripe bananas/large ones
    170g blueberries/iceland frozen red fruits

Ooooer doesn't look much like the original

Grease and line a 25cm x 25cm traybake tin. 29cm x 23cm

Preheat oven to 170/fan 150/gas 3

Melt the butter, honey, maple syrup, sugar, vanilla and butter in a pan over a low heat.
    Combine the oats, nuts, seeds and nut butter in a mixing bowl.
    Peel and mash the bananas. Add them to the oats along with the butter mix.
    Combine well and press evenly into the lined tin.
    Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
    I baked it for longer until I was happy that the surface looked dry and cooked enough. As my bananas were large the mixture had been quite wet to begin with.
    Cool in the tin for a at least a couple of hours before slicing it into bars.
    I stored them in the fridge and they kept for more than a week, by which time we had eaten them all.
    GC March £100/£100 GC April £140.47/£150
    GC May £150.16/£150 GC June £187.40/£200
    GC July £190/£200 GC August £200
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 16th Jun 17, 11:16 AM
    • 15,247 Posts
    • 123,878 Thanks
    JackieO
    Just back from my first food shop of the month Been using up stuff in stock as much as possible this month.Very happy that I only spent £28.60 and got everything on my list, no more shopping for me for awhile as I have more than enough fresh fruit and veg now to keep me going with all the tinned stuff and freezer stuff already in store going to be a Low-cost month this month At the end of every 6 months I total up all my food spends as I keep all the receipts in a box. (bit anal I know ,but I like to keep an eye on food prices.)
    Last December it totalled up to £320. 42 for July-December 2016, I am hoping I have got this down as I have been having more veggie meals and cut back on meat products etc
    Last edited by JackieO; 16-06-2017 at 1:02 PM.
    • Skintmama
    • By Skintmama 16th Jun 17, 12:59 PM
    • 457 Posts
    • 1,514 Thanks
    Skintmama
    That is interesting Jackie and sounds like a very good idea. I would like to see being conscious of spending very much the norm rather than otherwise.

I have not found space to post recently (apart form this morning!) nevertheless still being inspired by reading the thread. I split a pack of chicken thighs and drumsticks, making a spicy chicken casserole with the thighs and some soy and honey drumsticks. The drumsticks were used for lunches. Saturday, I used the HM chicken stock, one thigh and the remaining sauce to make a risotto. It was the best one I have ever made and felt virtually free!

Made breadcrumbs, some of which went into a Bakewell Tart (economy recipe) which also used up some plum jam and a bit of pastry from the freezer.

I roasted up the remaining roots hanging about in the fridge and made a tabbouleh with the last of the salad stuff so have made a pretty fresh start when veg shopping this week. Some rather tough pitta bread from the freezer were resuscitated in the oven and eaten with HM hummus made from frozen chickpeas. This was all eaten across a couple of days with a spiced roast chicken. Stock has been made from this but I will have to use it in some sort of spicy soup.

My breakfasts have been using up some bacon bits, leftover sliced tomatoes and mushrooms. Yesterday with a fried egg and toast, today they went into an omelette. I have been so efficient with using things up that I am struggling to find anything for my lunch now!

Tonight I will make a creamy pasta dish using leftover sausage and chicken from last night's barbecue and some mushrooms that don't look as if they will keep long. The HM rolls made yesterday have been frozen, all ready for the next BBQ. I have an orange, apple and a few grapes to turn into a fruit salad for dessert and will add the last bits of frozen pineapple to this. I am trying to get one freezer emptied and am nearly there!

Wishing you all a happy weekend ahead
    GC March £100/£100 GC April £140.47/£150
    GC May £150.16/£150 GC June £187.40/£200
    GC July £190/£200 GC August £200
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 16th Jun 17, 6:59 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 1,973 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    At the end of every 6 months I total up all my food spends as I keep all the receipts in a box. (bit anal I know ,but I like to keep an eye on food prices.)
    Last December it totalled up to £320. 42 for July-December 2016, I am hoping I have got this down as I have been having more veggie meals and cut back on meat products etc
    Originally posted by JackieO
    I don't keep all my grocery receipts but I do keep a daily record in a diary.
    I total each week and then each month.
    At the back of my diary I keep a running total. Last five months I have spent £356.45 on food.
    Have spent £90 so far this month but that does 54 toilet rolls for £10, freezer and cupboards too full.
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 16th Jun 17, 8:41 PM
    • 1,577 Posts
    • 8,930 Thanks
    Florence J
    At the end of every 6 months I total up all my food spends as I keep all the receipts in a box. (bit anal I know ,but I like to keep an eye on food prices.)
    Originally posted by JackieO
    It's funny you mention that. I don't keep all my receipts but I have kept all my online delivery receipts since Jan 2016 for this exact reason, and yet I don't need to look at them to know that food prices have risen
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553 (£90) Wombling free 2017 = £1505.37 Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£2743.11/£3000) Debt to OH paid back £1120.95/£1120.95
    September 2017 Credit Card Debt: £4344.96
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 18th Jun 17, 9:23 AM
    • 268 Posts
    • 2,741 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    Just back from a lovely week away in Northumberland and last night I managed to persuade OH we didn't need to get a takeaway despite it looking like we had no food as we had some veggie burgers in the freezer and some potatoes to make wedges with. The potatoes we're a bit sprouty but I just cut those bits off and they were fine. We'll be heading out to buy some fruit and veg this morning as all I have left is 2 swedes!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,178Posts Today

6,137Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin