Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    • 15,228Posts
    • 123,571Thanks
    JackieO
    Love Food, Hate Waste
    • 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    Love Food, Hate Waste 27th Feb 17 at 4:33 PM
    I have been surfing around the internet this afternoon and found a site about Stop Wasting Food I think had quite a good idea ,in that instead of restricting ourselves from certain stuff during Lent perhaps it would be better to limit the over buying, and use up the initial stuff we already have .There is apparently a Russian young lady who seemingly has reduced the amount that Dennmark wastes by changing peoples out look in the supermarkets, and they have significantly reduced the amount of stuff being binned into landfill

Now to me that seems like a pretty good idea. The supermarkets have reduced amounts binned by instead of offering BOGOFFs they have reduced single purchases so its more economical to buy less. Doesn't sound like a bad idea ,I can understand people buying large amounts if they have larger families, but how often have we all been swayed by BOGOFFs,myself included. What do you all think ?

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 13-09-2017 at 9:14 AM.
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
Page 39
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 10th Jun 17, 8:06 AM
    • 15,228 Posts
    • 123,571 Thanks
    JackieO
    Yorkslass that reminds me I have a half jar of peanut butter to use up that a friend gave me as her OH had decided he didn't want anymore (he is a bit like that he will ask for something,she buys it, and then he decided he doesn't like it after all !!!.) I don't eat bread so I was thinking perhaps I could make some sort of flapjack sort of thing Anyone have any ideas so it can be used up, I have several strapping DGS who will eat almost anything in that department

JackieO xx
    • crazytree
    • By crazytree 10th Jun 17, 8:13 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    crazytree
    Thank you York's lass! What's embarrassing is that there was suddenly so much potential waste at once! Had pulled pork followed by fruit salad for dinner last night and will finish both tonight. Had to bin the ham though, it smelt odd. Not too bad a result. Considering....

I made some chocolate fairy cakes the other day for snacks and they didn't turn out well, really soft, spread out and sticking to the cases I need to find something to do with those.

Shame about the cornflakes. If you'd not used up all your syrup you could have made chocolate cornflake cakes. I've had to buy cornflakes especially to make them for a forty-something grown man!

I rarely have cauliflower cheese coz the same grown man hates both cheese sauce and cauliflower. Which is a real shame coz I love the stuff. Cauliflower is also really amazing in a curry. Can't have that either.
    • crazytree
    • By crazytree 10th Jun 17, 8:21 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    crazytree
    Yorkslass that reminds me I have a half jar of peanut butter to use up that a friend gave me as her OH had decided he didn't want anymore (he is a bit like that he will ask for something,she buys it, and then he decided he doesn't like it after all !!!.) I don't eat bread so I was thinking perhaps I could make some sort of flapjack sort of thing Anyone have any ideas so it can be used up, I have several strapping DGS who will eat almost anything in that department

JackieO xx
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Peanut butter cookies are easy and taste amazing. My recipe is an American one which uses a cup of the stuff and makes over thirty cookies! But they all get eaten in record time!

T
    • 2childmum
    • By 2childmum 10th Jun 17, 9:20 AM
    • 183 Posts
    • 2,163 Thanks
    2childmum
    I made some chocolate fairy cakes the other day for snacks and they didn't turn out well, really soft, spread out and sticking to the cases I need to find something to do with those.

How about using them as the base for a chocolate trifle? I make what we call 'cheat's trifle', which doesn't require jelly. I use whatever cake type base I have, moistened with the liquid from whatever tinned fruit I have, chuck in the fruit, and top with custard. blancmange, or even whipped cream, again depending what i have. With chocolate cake I use tinned mandarins, then melt a couple of squares of chocolate into custard to go on top.
    May spend - £291.40/£320.00
    June spend - £106.40/£320.00
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 10th Jun 17, 6:30 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 3,174 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Yorkslass that reminds me I have a half jar of peanut butter to use up ... so I was thinking perhaps I could make some sort of flapjack sort of thing Anyone have any ideas so it can be used up, I have several strapping DGS who will eat almost anything in that department JackieO xx
    This is what I was going to make (had the peanut butter not gone off ):

Chocolate Peanut Butter Squares
    • 325g milk chocolate, chopped
    • 260g smooth peanut butter
    • 1/4 tsp salt
    • 60g icing sugar
    Microwave half the chocolate for 2 mins, stirring halfway through
    Pour into a greased/lined shallow baking tin and chill
    Mix the peanut butter, salt and icing sugar together and spread over chilled chocolate
    Melt the remaining chocolate and spread over the top of the peanut butter mix
    Allow to almost set and mark/cut into squares
    Enjoy!

You could use dark chocolate instead of milk and I daresay crunchy peanut butter would work too.

Shame about the cornflakes. If you'd not used up all your syrup you could have made chocolate cornflake cakes.
    Originally posted by crazytree
    That was the plan until the cornflakes turned out to be so vile but the alternative (with the crushed digestives etc) was more than acceptable!

I make what we call 'cheat's trifle', which doesn't require jelly. I use whatever cake type base I have, moistened with the liquid from whatever tinned fruit I have, chuck in the fruit, and top with custard. blancmange, or even whipped cream, again depending what i have. With chocolate cake I use tinned mandarins, then melt a couple of squares of chocolate into custard to go on top.
    Originally posted by 2childmum
    Mmm, that sounds good - and so easy too.

Today I've made up some sage & onion stuffing mix to use up a couple of thick crusts of bread and we'll be having that tomorrow with the pork. I've also cooked some rhubarb I got yesterday and will use that for a crumble for pudding. Undecided as yet whether to top it with vanilla ice-cream or a generous dollop of yogurt that has ginger pieces in it. Or maybe whipped cream. Or custard. So many choices - and I like all of 'em!

Mushrooms wiped clean of compost; cups in the fridge in a box lined/covered with kitchen roll (they keep longer this way) and the stalks chopped, in another container ready for use later in the week.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Sep GC: £160 - £108.22 = £51.78 NSDs 15/28
    Aug GC: £200 - £115.38 = £84.62 NSDs 28/35 July GC +£7.98 June GC -£3.13 May GC +£10.37

• Floss
    • By Floss 10th Jun 17, 6:37 PM
    • 3,821 Posts
    • 30,354 Thanks
    Floss
    Go with the gingered yogurt - rhubarb & ginger is a marriage made in heaven!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 10th Jun 17, 6:42 PM
    • 15,228 Posts
    • 123,571 Thanks
    JackieO
    I had a feeling I had a recipe that I saved from dND in my cookbook file and just found it

Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe from dND

100g butter
    120g peanut butter
    100g granulated sugar
    100g brown sugar
    1 egg
    1/2 tsp vanilla essence
    160g plain flour
    3/4 tsp bi-carb
    1/4 tsp salt

1. Cream the butters and the sugars together.
    2. Mix in the egg and the vanilla
    3. Sift together the flour, salt and bi-carb and mix into the creamed mixture.
    4. Make into small balls, (size depends on the size of cookie you want), roll in a bit of granulated sugar and place on an ungreased baking tray reasonably apart as they spread.
    5. Flatten each ball a bit, I find that the base of a wine glass gives a good shape.
    6. Bake at 375F, gas 5, 160C fan oven, for 10 - 12 mins.
    7. Allow to cool and firm up a bit before lifting off the tray.

Will be making these in the morning for the DGS

JackieO xxx
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 10th Jun 17, 11:22 PM
    • 893 Posts
    • 17,236 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    Ideas swaps
    Hiya

Wow some interesting ideas on here!
    Floss I love the idea of studding mix combined with fish to make fishcakes! I would never have thought of that one! As a friend gave me a giant catering bag of stuffing mix that and some tuna will go together well me thinks (squeeze of lemon juice??)

Made Baba Ganoush (excuse spelling!) from Jack Munroe's recipe this week. Very tasty but a bit too much tomato so will either double the aubergine or halve the tomato! Since it is a tin I rather suspect it is going to be the former as with us load in the house finding a way to use up half a tin of tomatoes is a bit annoying!

Also made her thumbprint peanut butter cookies - very good!

Saved some salad from the bin, as when it looked a bit sad, i included it in a stir fry (an idea I nicked from Jamie Oliver).

Well must away to sleep.
    Frugaling onward folk!
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22)
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 11th Jun 17, 8:05 AM
    • 15,228 Posts
    • 123,571 Thanks
    JackieO
    I use stuffing mix in place of breadcrumbs when making pork loin medallions,helps to streeetch the meat a bit, or if you are making scotch egg dip it in flour, egg and stuffing mix and roll and cook in the oven.Almost anywhere that you use breadcrumbs in fact.I alway hunt for the marked down fancy breadcrumbs after Christmas as they usually end up about a quarter of their normal price in the supermarkets and have a very long shelf life when stored and a lock'n'lock box

or even mashed potato balls again dipped in flour egg and stuffing mix then frozen make a nice savoury change from just boring mashed spuds .throw them on a flat tin in the oven and cook until the outsides are golden and crispy ,delicious with bangers and beans and fill small(and large ) boys up
    I am going to use some of my gift pot of rhubarb and ginger preserve mixed up with some plain greek yogurt to flavour it .

This morning is peanut butter cookie making day though the DGS will enjoy them I think.. I may try to incorporate some of the peanut butter into a flap jack /lunch bar thing as well for their lunch boxes, I have quite a bit of dried fruit and oats in store.

JackieO xx
    • crazytree
    • By crazytree 11th Jun 17, 3:59 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    crazytree

How about using them as the base for a chocolate trifle? I make what we call 'cheat's trifle', which doesn't require jelly. I use whatever cake type base I have, moistened with the liquid from whatever tinned fruit I have, chuck in the fruit, and top with custard. blancmange, or even whipped cream, again depending what i have. With chocolate cake I use tinned mandarins, then melt a couple of squares of chocolate into custard to go on top.
    Originally posted by 2childmum
    This is a truly brilliant idea! I've made it just now and it's in the fridge looking fab. I managed to chuck in a banana which I forgot to put in the fruit salad the other day! Thanks loads for the idea!!!!

Thanks for the suggestion of Jack Monroe's​ thumbprint cookies. They make a much more manageable amount than my US recipe. And I got to put chocolate spread instead of jam so they are double-awesome . First tray is in the oven as I'm writing this.... Yum

Also made some ice cream to use up some of the excess eggs. The hens are laying enthusiastically and there are only two of us to eat all these eggs! This new recipe uses the whole eggs so I'm hoping it's as good as my usual recipe. There are only so many meringues two people can eat. I've still egg whites in the freezer but I was going to try coconut macaroons which I think someone on this thread suggested a while ago. I need to remember to defrost them when we've eaten all the peanut butter cookies.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Jun 17, 4:59 PM
    • 59,852 Posts
    • 350,019 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Thumbprint cookies were the recipe I remember from about 1968, we made them at school. They were the first thing I ever cooked, so they've always been one of those "childhood/retro recipes" to me.

I thought it was "magic" that you could make biscuits Mum never did.
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 11th Jun 17, 5:23 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 1,769 Thanks
    purpleybat

JackieO xx

I've added it to a basic cookie dough to much delight of a pal of mine, she esp liked the ones I sandwiched homemade jam in the middle.
    I can't see why it won't work in flapjacks. I used to make and love plain flapjacks as a kid but as an adult I've never found a successful recipe, either too dry and crumbly or just plain old stick to pan/baking paper.
    I quite like a peanutty edge in coconut curries and sometimes add a goodly dollop to one.
    gc jan 148.59/150 feb 134.58/150 mar 148.35/160 apr 139.24/160 may 165.78/160 june 129.05/160 july 148.23/170 aug 163/170
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 11th Jun 17, 5:57 PM
    • 25,617 Posts
    • 103,688 Thanks
    candygirl
    Absolutely skint till Tues, so have made a red lentil dahl for tea, which I will have with wraps The pooches are salivating at the smell already
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 12th Jun 17, 6:59 AM
    • 188 Posts
    • 1,937 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Can I ask a question please?
    How do you keep an inventory of your freezer, cupboards etc?
    Do you have some sort of spreadsheet or just a pen and paper.
    I have garden produce that needs to be frozen in the coming weeks and no freezer room. I need to meal plan to use up what I have and free up space.
    Thank you
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 12th Jun 17, 8:41 AM
    • 15,228 Posts
    • 123,571 Thanks
    JackieO
    I usually type or write on lined paper whats in the cupboards and stick the list inside the door of each cupboard and cross things off as they get used up.

The freezer I have a typed list on the outside of the door dated and listing whats on each particular chelf.As it gets used again I simply cross it off .When the list gets too messy with crossings off I go to my PC and bring it up from where I have it stored on M'soft Word documents.

Change the date at the top,and alter what's on the list and re-type it .Once its printed off the new list goes on the outside of the door of the f/freezer and is there so I have a pretty good idea whats in there .

The main page is always stored on my computer, so I just have to alter and retype the things when ever I bring it up. As I am running down my freezer at the moment I shan't do a new one until its been defrosted. The date on the top of my freezer list at the moment is 12 February 2017.The lists I sellotape to the insides of each of my cupboard doors are easy to update .I just run a pen through the line of whatever product I have used.Again they will all need updating soon ,but I am shopping from my cupboards this month anyway.

I know some people use spread sheets but I prefer the immediacy of seeing when I open the cupboard door whats in there to use up, if I have time I will also put the BBF dates next to the item.Stock rotation with the oldest at the front and the newest at the rear usually works as well.

The peanut butter cookies went down very well yesterday afternoon with my DGS only crumbs left on the plate
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 12th Jun 17, 9:44 AM
    • 188 Posts
    • 1,937 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Thank you JackieO
    Think I will have to use a toilet roll, only paper long enough for my freezer list
    I like the idea of having the lists on the cupboard / freezer door.
    I do have a sharpie pen and mark packets in my fridge and cupboards with use by date
    I'm very bad at labelling food in the freezer, maybe in for some odd meal combinations
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 12th Jun 17, 10:25 AM
    • 1,577 Posts
    • 8,902 Thanks
    Florence J
    Can I ask a question please?
    How do you keep an inventory of your freezer, cupboards etc?
    Do you have some sort of spreadsheet or just a pen and paper.
    I have garden produce that needs to be frozen in the coming weeks and no freezer room. I need to meal plan to use up what I have and free up space.
    Thank you
    Originally posted by silver-oldie
    I try to do a full inventory of all cupboards at least once a month. I go shelf by shelf/cupboard by cupboard and write down every item and the Best Before Date as a guidance to what needs eating up. I just do it on some A4 scrap paper but I do get through several sheets!

If I have more time I put it onto a spreadsheet with lots of fancy colour coding. I think everyone is different and whatever works for you best is the best way to do it.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553 (£90) Wombling free 2017 = £1505.37 Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£2743.11/£3000) Debt to OH paid back £1120.95/£1120.95
    September 2017 Credit Card Debt: £4344.96
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Jun 17, 10:53 AM
    • 59,852 Posts
    • 350,019 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I don't do inventories.... there's food in there .... so I open doors and see what I fancy

If I run out of something ... nobody dies, I just eat something else.
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 12th Jun 17, 11:25 AM
    • 188 Posts
    • 1,937 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Thank you
    I need to do a balancing act between not too much but enough for a week or so if for some reason I can't get out to shop. I know I can shop online but don't always want / need that much.
    I hadn't thought about this until I was unwell last month, ran out of fresh bread, milk, fresh fruit veg etc but luckily had crackers, powdered milk frozen fruit and veg so managed to feed DH.
    Last edited by silver-oldie; 12-06-2017 at 11:43 AM.
    • 2childmum
    • By 2childmum 12th Jun 17, 11:47 AM
    • 183 Posts
    • 2,163 Thanks
    2childmum
    I have a wipe-on wipe off board which is magnetised and I write what I have in the freezer on that - then I can wipe off when I take it out. Every now and then it gets mucky, so I rub it all out, and then start again by emptying the freezer and writing it all out. I find that, with the best will in the world, I miss something I've put in/taken out so this means I update it every now and then.
    May spend - £291.40/£320.00
    June spend - £106.40/£320.00
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

587Posts Today

5,910Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Surprised to be in this, but v plsd it recognises the fight against the govt's awful retrospective student finance? https://t.co/7BGHeUQ0R4

• RT @theJeremyVine: Heart melted. I?m never going to complain about anything again. Thanku @henryfraser0 for pointing this out. https://t?

• Today's twitter poll: Its Lib Dem conference week & its said "exit from Brexit". If ur open minded to Lib Dems, does this help or hinder?

• Follow Martin