Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    • 15,249Posts
    • 123,940Thanks
    JackieO
    Love Food, Hate Waste
    • 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    Love Food, Hate Waste 27th Feb 17 at 4:33 PM
    I have been surfing around the internet this afternoon and found a site about Stop Wasting Food I think had quite a good idea ,in that instead of restricting ourselves from certain stuff during Lent perhaps it would be better to limit the over buying, and use up the initial stuff we already have .There is apparently a Russian young lady who seemingly has reduced the amount that Dennmark wastes by changing peoples out look in the supermarkets, and they have significantly reduced the amount of stuff being binned into landfill

Now to me that seems like a pretty good idea. The supermarkets have reduced amounts binned by instead of offering BOGOFFs they have reduced single purchases so its more economical to buy less. Doesn't sound like a bad idea ,I can understand people buying large amounts if they have larger families, but how often have we all been swayed by BOGOFFs,myself included. What do you all think ?

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 13-09-2017 at 9:14 AM.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
Page 38
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 7th Jun 17, 1:39 PM
    • 1,902 Posts
    • 6,363 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    The top 2 shelves in my fridge are entirely full of jars

to be fair - I am the condiment fiend!
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 7th Jun 17, 2:36 PM
    • 59,955 Posts
    • 350,492 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    The top 2 shelves in my fridge are entirely full of jars

to be fair - I am the condiment fiend!
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    My fridge is too large; my freezer too small. In my fridge I have:

1st/Top shelf - empty margarine tubs and empty click-n-lock boxes. These would hold food if I had any - there's no room in the cupboards for them, so they might as well go there.

2nd shelf - set only 2" under the top shelf there's not a lot there - it's mostly a spare slot for thin things. e.g. if I buy a boxed pie, or a pizza, they just about fit. Little plastic takeaway boxes fit in there too if I've opened a package of sausage rolls, cocktail sausages or similar. The shelf rarely has anything on it, I set it that height as a "pizza shelf for the 4-5 pizzas I might buy in a year and the 3-4 pies I might buy"

3rd shelf - current bottle of squash drink + the plastic jug I keep it in when I've diluted it and got 1 litre to drink.
    Opened jam, opened chutney, opened pickle.
    Ketchup, brown sauce, salad cream.
    1 tub of margarine, current grated cheese in plastic box. Any other item I've randomly bought.

Then there's the shelf that's the top of the bottom drawers - that's not got anything on it. I don't really use that space for anything/much...

Then there are two drawers at the bottom. One's got the next block of cheese, unopened; the other's got some empty plastic noodle bowls (so used for storage).

All the in-door nooks/crannies contain small lidded plastic pots and plastic drinking beakers - so, unused/clean and empty containers only.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 07-06-2017 at 2:42 PM.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 7th Jun 17, 3:21 PM
    • 1,902 Posts
    • 6,363 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    off the top of my head -
    top shelf - minced garlic, minced ginger, beetroot, pickled cabbage, gherkins, jalapenos, pepperdew, spicy peach chutney, apple & walnut chutney, ale chutney, piccalilli, green thai curry, red thai curry, pesto, ginger preserve
    2nd shelf - ketchup, salad cream, mayo, nandos mild, nandos garlic, bbq sauce x2, hoisin, oyster, ketjap manis, Frenches mustard, fish sauce, tamarind sauce, mint sauce, lingonberry sauce, cranberry, redcurrant jelly,
    fridge door - wholegrain mustard, Dijon mustard, easy chilli, easy garlic, lemon juice, lime juice, b!arnaise, tartare sauce, hollandaise, creamed horseradish, tom puree, anchovy paste, sundried tom paste

I am sure I'd find more if I went to look!!!
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 7th Jun 17, 4:28 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 3,252 Thanks
    YorksLass
    I get the impression that rather than being a chore, we are all enjoying this challenge. Happy Wednesday all
    Originally posted by Skintmama
    Oh, I love a challenge! I think it gets easier the more you do it and also you learn to be more inventive with what you have instead of blindly following recipes. Interesting food combinations chez nous, most of them good. It definitely saves on the cash and I've re-discovered a love of cooking and baking into the bargain.

The top 2 shelves in my fridge are entirely full of jars to be fair - I am the condiment fiend!
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    You and me both. Most of my jars are in the fridge door with the overspill ones in a plastic rectangular container on one of the shelves; I find it easier to just slide out the box to find what I want. And it helps curb the desire to buy more ... a little voice in my head says "you have enough!"

Last night's corned beef hash was really tasty, just the job on what turned out to be a very chilly, wet day. The leftovers have been portioned up and are now in the freezer, enough for another two meals at some stage.

Today I've re-organised the kitchen corner wall cupboard where the baking stuff lives; cupboard emptied/cleaned and, while it dried, I made a list of everything I'd taken out and the list is now on the inside of the door so I can see at a glance what I have. Jars/tins/packets etc placed in boxes (as per the jars in the fridge) and returned to cupboard. Tbf, it wasn't as bad as I'd expected but there were one or two surprises in there!

There's nothing left in the teatime treats tin so tomorrow I'll be making something to fill them with and that will help use up some things from the baking cupboard. DH is hinting at sticky ginger cake so maybe I'll do that but, as it will need storing for a few days before using, there'll be something else as well.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Sep GC: £160 - £108.22 = £51.78 NSDs 15/28
    Aug GC: £200 - £115.38 = £84.62 NSDs 28/35 July GC +£7.98 June GC -£3.13 May GC +£10.37

• JackieO
    • By JackieO 7th Jun 17, 6:48 PM
    • 15,249 Posts
    • 123,940 Thanks
    JackieO
    Top shelf
    1 lettuce,1 red pepper Large tub of natural greek yogurt,1 kilo of strong cheddar 1 head of celery,1 pack of four nectarines (courtesy of DD)1 bowl of strawberry jelly (setting at the moment )
    Middle shelf
    1 box of grated red leicester cheese,1 jar of pickled beetroot, 1 jar of red onion chutney,1 bowl of broccoli in water 1 sweetheart cabbage wrapped in foil (keeps longer this way )6 large free range eggs (present from a friend)6 tomatoes.
    Bottom shelf
    3 apples, 1 mango,1 tub of pate, 2 tubs of philly type cheese, 1 cucumber,
    1 cheesecake with orange topping( made it this morning)
    Two lower drawers underneath that I keep block butter(for baking ) soft marg,trex,two lemons,some chocolate sprinkles for cake decorations and some sachets of sauces for marinating stuff
    The door is full of milk,orange juice and mayos and condiments chilli sauces and salad cream etc plus another half a dozen eggs for baking with.

Its useful to keep some of the stuff cool/cold and I do eat a lot of salad stuff, and I always try to keep a bit of room for leftovers etc
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 7th Jun 17, 7:05 PM
    • 5,055 Posts
    • 52,416 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    Today I simmered a chicken carcass for a good hour and a half, stripped the meat off and discarded the carcass, then put carrots, parsnips, leeks and potatoes in and let it continue simmering till they were all cooked, thickened it up, absolutely gorgeous.

There's enough for tomorrow's lunch too, which is a bonus.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

June grocery 62.91 July 89.07 Aug 71.25 Sept 77.24

• JackieO
    • By JackieO 8th Jun 17, 8:40 AM
    • 15,249 Posts
    • 123,940 Thanks
    JackieO
    Serendipitious, that sounds delicious, and an excellent way to streeetch stuff out. I save, bag and freeze a couple of carcuss's to make stock which I then use as a base for soups. I love my SC and actually have two of them ,my own and my Dds which she gave to me when she bought a larger one when her family increased in size.I will even use a tray of chicken wings in it to make sure I get every scrap of chicken I can,and use it once cooked in a curry, a tray of wings can cost around a quid and I can stretch them with veg to make several portions of curry for the freezer
    • WeeMidgie
    • By WeeMidgie 8th Jun 17, 9:30 AM
    • 220 Posts
    • 4,328 Thanks
    WeeMidgie
    JackieO, I use chicken wings the same way too, there can be quite plump ones in these trays. Quite often I find them YS in my local Morries. They also sell beef ribs & bones for soup which I roast in my Remoska, usually can carve off enough meat for a couple of meals before making stock with the roasted bones.

In my fridge today is a red cabbage, a small white cabbage, lemons, ginger and garlic. I'm going away for a few days next week, and will do a small shop today to see me through to Monday. A big bowl of red and white coleslaw features on the menu. And as I have a surplus of lemons and empty jars, I'll have a go at making preserved lemons... not made them before, so it will be fun to do.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 8th Jun 17, 10:07 AM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 68,287 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Top shelf of my fridge is beer and wine

also in the fridge are cooked meats, a selection of cheese, 4 types of milk (full cream (for my coffee), semi skimmed (for OH and DD), soya (for DS) and almond (for my tea and porridge). A supply of butter and yogurt is also there, and fresh coffee.

we do have various condiments, plus 6 jars of homemade marmalade (the ants get attracted to it if it's in the cupboard). The salad drawer has salad (surprise!) and fruit as well as veg that goes off quick, (e.g. broccoli and carrots).

had sort of got to a 'used up leftovers' stage, all except the dratted freezer that will not empty....
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • thriftmonster
    • By thriftmonster 8th Jun 17, 11:56 AM
    • 1,602 Posts
    • 7,318 Thanks
    thriftmonster
    I think butter pies must be quite a local thing. I've ended up only 15 miles from where I was born (but having fallen just over the border into W Yorks) and there are all sorts of things in the chippy that are new - butter pies and rag pudding being the most obvious. However I am really glad to say that dabs are standard fare here and sometimes even come as a freebie!
    I will not have my life narrowed down. I will not bow down to somebody else's whim or to somebody else's ignorance. - Bell Hooks

Others have seen what is and asked why. I have seen what could be and asked why not - Pablo Picasso
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 8th Jun 17, 1:03 PM
    • 15,249 Posts
    • 123,940 Thanks
    JackieO
    Go on then what's a dab,

I always knew it as a sort of flat fish down in the south. and what dare I ask are 'Rags '

Love hearing about regional variations of food.I went to Bury market a few weeks ago when I was on holiday in Manchester and saw some very different sorts of rolls ( baps )and a whole stall that seemed to be full of black pudding (sorry I just couldn't eat it chums ,I thinkthe colour puts me off as I don't like oreos either )

JackieO xx
    • Floss
    • By Floss 8th Jun 17, 1:52 PM
    • 3,840 Posts
    • 30,656 Thanks
    Floss
    Jackie Bury market is world famous for the black pudding stall

Rag pudding is generally an Oldham & surrounding area thing, it is meat potato & veg in a suet crust, then cooked in the rag (a bit like a savoury clootie dumpling). You can buy them locally, but commercial ones are in a plastic coat, not a rag.
    • anajames
    • By anajames 8th Jun 17, 2:04 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    anajames
    I would like to share a video i watched on youtube. It was probably from some indian channel as far as i remember. There is a restaurant scenario where one man orders extra food eats some and leaves. There is this other guy who has yet to order, sees everything.
    What he does is gets up to grab the plate left over and finish it off. The caption at the end of the video was not to waste food. Because the food could have been easily thrown out in the litter.
    I personally avoid wasting food. Eat as much as you can but keep you desires filled.
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 8th Jun 17, 8:43 PM
    • 5,055 Posts
    • 52,416 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    Serendipitious, that sounds delicious, and an excellent way to streeetch stuff out. I save, bag and freeze a couple of carcuss's to make stock which I then use as a base for soups. I love my SC and actually have two of them ,my own and my Dds which she gave to me when she bought a larger one when her family increased in size.I will even use a tray of chicken wings in it to make sure I get every scrap of chicken I can,and use it once cooked in a curry, a tray of wings can cost around a quid and I can stretch them with veg to make several portions of curry for the freezer
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Thank you. I made do with a cheese sandwich for lunch as I found a couple of Jersey Royals in the fridge, so this evening I cooked those then added yesterday's leftovers and that was my main meal of today sorted. Very economical. And if anything, it tasted even better than yesterday - most stews and casseroles seem to do that and I cannot fathom out why.

Tomorrow is cauliflower cheese which I just spotted in the freezer, so that's defrosting in the fridge, will go nicely with some bacon.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 8th Jun 17, 10:55 PM
    • 59,955 Posts
    • 350,492 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ...cauliflower cheese which I just spotted in the freezer, so that's defrosting in the fridge, will go nicely with some bacon.
    Originally posted by Serendipitious
    I like cauli cheese but have never bought it. I make it ... but that has issues as I have to wait until I have the cauli and the milk for the sauce -and- I think of it and I fancy it .... and then I skimp and just nuke it, without taking time to then brown it in the oven/grill.

I had planned to have a bit of that on Xmas dinner, but I had to cut back what I was cooking as you can't have everything.... and a lot of things had to go. In fact, this year, I'll be making fewer veggies (dropping cauliflower and broccoli) .... I will be specifically attending a market though and buying my veggies fresh this year, from a stall where I can just pick up 12 brussels, 1 carrot, a small parsnip, a small swede and one potato.
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 8th Jun 17, 11:05 PM
    • 878 Posts
    • 20,624 Thanks
    MMF007
    Ooh, I love cauliflower cheese. I cook the cauli, put it in a flan dish, pour a little cream over then sprinkle with lots of cheese and season (sometimes with a sprinkle of seasoning designed for raclette). There is never any leftover!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • crazytree
    • By crazytree 9th Jun 17, 9:57 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 377 Thanks
    crazytree
    Hello everyone

I've been lurking this thread and a couple of others for a while and manage to pinch a few good ideas from you all! So thanks, your ideas are appreciated. I thought I don't often have much food waste and must be bit too smug about it because today it's come back to bite me.

There is so much food that needs using, its scary! I found a pack of ham hidden at the back of the fridge, open, that'll need the smell test!!!. The big lump of pulled pork I took out of the freezer for last night's dinner is still sitting there coz Himself was too ill to cook last night. He bought a takeaway after I got home and we went out to vote.

The remains of the KFC bucket is also in the fridge, probably he'll eat that for lunch.

The fruit in the bowl is looking very unhappy,- probably turn that into a fruit salad if it's fairly ok inside or pie filling if not. The chickens can have the peelings as usual.

There is also a sad looking salad in the fridge. I made it for dinner Sunday night and it didn't get finished. I might be able to rescue the tomatoes and give the (fat) chickens the unhappy lettuce!

So having found that lot in the fridge I went hunting........In the cupboard I've found a best before Nov2016 jar of Harissa paste. No idea why I bought that. Not sure if I can tell if it's ok coz it's THAT shade of green already! Also bbe 2014 instant miso soup!

Also there are wrinkly mushrooms , wet spinach, and a still wrapped lettuce which is looking past it's best.

I suppose I could do the pulled pork with wraps and salad instead of with rice like I planned ( for last night) but apart from yet another omelette to use up ham, tomatoes and mushrooms. I'm short of ideas.

Any suggestions welcome!!! I'm rather embarrassed to introduce myself to you all like this "Hello I'm Tree and I'm not normally this disorganised, honest!". Then I thought if anyone can help me - you ladies can!
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 9th Jun 17, 4:15 PM
    • 5,055 Posts
    • 52,416 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    I like cauli cheese but have never bought it. I make it ... but that has issues as I have to wait until I have the cauli and the milk for the sauce -and- I think of it and I fancy it .... and then I skimp and just nuke it, without taking time to then brown it in the oven/grill.

I had planned to have a bit of that on Xmas dinner, but I had to cut back what I was cooking as you can't have everything.... and a lot of things had to go. In fact, this year, I'll be making fewer veggies (dropping cauliflower and broccoli) .... I will be specifically attending a market though and buying my veggies fresh this year, from a stall where I can just pick up 12 brussels, 1 carrot, a small parsnip, a small swede and one potato.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew

I usually make my own but this was y/s and I fancied it, then I didn't have time to have it on the day as I wanted to oven cook it, so into the freezer it went.

I've always eaten it as a meal in itself, I wouldn't add it to Xmas lunch, or to any meal that also included gravy, I'm a bit funny like that. Someone once served it to me with fish - utterly gross in my opinion and self-defeating too, as the tastes conflicted to the detriment of both.

• Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 9th Jun 17, 4:23 PM
    • 5,055 Posts
    • 52,416 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    Ooh, I love cauliflower cheese. I cook the cauli, put it in a flan dish, pour a little cream over then sprinkle with lots of cheese and season (sometimes with a sprinkle of seasoning designed for raclette). There is never any leftover!
    Originally posted by MMF007
    My home made one always does two days, but I split it between two casserole dishes before the oven stage and only oven-cook one each day.

I make quite a thick cheese sauce then put a layer of that in the dish before the cauliflower then pour the rest of it over the top and add some grated cheese for a crispy crust.

Hae you tried adding cooked leeks? That's really nice.

• YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 9th Jun 17, 7:13 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 3,252 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Rag pudding is generally an Oldham & surrounding area thing, it is meat potato & veg in a suet crust, then cooked in the rag (a bit like a savoury clootie dumpling). You can buy them locally, but commercial ones are in a plastic coat, not a rag.
    Originally posted by Floss
    I love suet crust pastry but DH doesn't - although he does like dumplings!

And if anything, it tasted even better than yesterday - most stews and casseroles seem to do that and I cannot fathom out why.
    Originally posted by Serendipitious
    I think the flavours develop (a bit like marinading things); quite often I deliberately make a stew or casserole a day in advance to get that "better" taste.

Hello everyone

I've been lurking this thread and a couple of others for a while and manage to pinch a few good ideas from you all! So thanks, your ideas are appreciated. I thought I don't often have much food waste and must be bit too smug about it because today it's come back to bite me.

I'm rather embarrassed to introduce myself to you all like this "Hello I'm Tree and I'm not normally this disorganised, honest!".
    Originally posted by crazytree
    Welcome and please don't be embarrassed - we've all been there!

Some successes and failures this week.

Successes: Made a ginger cake that used up the last of the golden syrup; the recipe I use gives raisins as an optional extra but (a) I didn't have any and (b) not really keen on them anyway, so I substituted them with glace ginger pieces. Also used the two small ys Easter eggs I bought just after Easter - melted, mixed in crushed digestives, dessicated coconut, chopped glace cherries, chopped dried apricots. Very decadent.

Failures: Binned a jar of peanut butter as it had gone rancid (my fault, it was well OOD ) and a box of sm's own basic cornflakes. Really cross about the cornflakes as I've been buying them for ages and have always found them perfectly acceptable but these were disgusting (methinks they may have changed the recipe) so I won't be buying them again.

Thanks JackieO for the reminder about the chicken wings ; I've bought some today and they'll be in the sc tomorrow!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Sep GC: £160 - £108.22 = £51.78 NSDs 15/28
    Aug GC: £200 - £115.38 = £84.62 NSDs 28/35 July GC +£7.98 June GC -£3.13 May GC +£10.37

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

16Posts Today

3,205Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin