Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    • 15,508Posts
    • 126,403Thanks
    JackieO
    Love Food, Hate Waste
    • 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    Love Food, Hate Waste 27th Feb 17 at 4:33 PM
    I have been surfing around the internet this afternoon and found a site about Stop Wasting Food I think had quite a good idea ,in that instead of restricting ourselves from certain stuff during Lent perhaps it would be better to limit the over buying, and use up the initial stuff we already have .There is apparently a Russian young lady who seemingly has reduced the amount that Dennmark wastes by changing peoples out look in the supermarkets, and they have significantly reduced the amount of stuff being binned into landfill

Now to me that seems like a pretty good idea. The supermarkets have reduced amounts binned by instead of offering BOGOFFs they have reduced single purchases so its more economical to buy less. Doesn't sound like a bad idea ,I can understand people buying large amounts if they have larger families, but how often have we all been swayed by BOGOFFs,myself included. What do you all think ?

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

If you like this you might also like our ZeroWaste and Recycle Week discussions.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 02-10-2017 at 12:49 PM.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
Page 32
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 18th May 17, 6:36 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 4,142 Thanks
    YorksLass
    I find getting the portion size right so that there isn't anything left over again is a challenge!

I am enjoying all the recipes of ways to use those odds and ends, and the tales of thrifty using up of food. It strikes me that being an experienced, or at least experimental, cook helps a lot in avoiding the waste of food.
    Originally posted by Skintmama
    I must have got the portion sizes right this week as weíve had no LOs at all! I too like to read about how others use up their odds and ends; weíre never too old to learn, after all, and I think itís really helpful for those who might not have a lot of confidence or experience in the kitchen. Not to mention being purse-friendly.

A Sainsbobs small gammon joint (normally £3.30, on offer at £2.50) has made 3 meals for us this week: hot on Sunday with potatoes & spring greens, cold on Monday with chips & a fried egg (havenít had one of those in ages) and sliced last night with potatoes & cauliflower cheese.

The little bit thatís left isnít enough by itself for another meal and I didnít want to make a quiche with it (have already got two in the freezer) so Iíve chopped it up into small pieces and will use it for Saturdayís dinner with mushrooms, peppers and courgette in a sauce with pasta.

On Tuesday we had hm spicy lamb & chickpea pasties (from freezer) with potatoes and peas/sweetcorn mix. Tonight itís liver/bacon/onion casserole with potatoes and the last of the spring greens.

This week Iíve been concentrating on using up fresh stuff from the fridge and next week itís the turn of the freezer to feed us. Iíve also got my eye on using up some oats (flapjacks spring to mind), Ĺ a carton of LL milk (for porridge or custard, not sure which yet Ė the other half made the sauce for the cauliflower cheese) and a couple more packets of casserole mixes. I always like to have LL milk in stock, especially in winter, in case we canít get out to the shops but this one had passed its BBE date (just) so needed using.

Staples are gradually going down and inside one of the cupboards I have a list of items that have passed or are getting near to their BBE dates. Iíll be trying to incorporate these into meals when I sit down tomorrow to work out next weekís plan.

Iíve just over £32 left in my purse and Iím hoping to spend as little of that as I can between now and next Thursday (the end of my May GC). Will I do it? Watch this space .....
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Nov £76.60/£160 NSDs 10/28
    Oct +£9.92 Sep +£42.85 Aug +£84.62 July +£7.98 June -£3.13 May +£10.37

• Livelongandprosper
    • By Livelongandprosper 18th May 17, 7:27 PM
    • 549 Posts
    • 1,636 Thanks
    Livelongandprosper

Making peanut butter is a regular thing now as everyone prefers the homemade - what have I started? There is slightly too much for one jar so the extra stays in the blender for our new favourite ice cream, Cacao, frozen banana, peanut butter. I have now finished my frozen banana stock. DH and DS then clean out the blender with long spoons, so no waste

I am enjoying all the recipes of ways to use those odds and ends, and the tales of thrifty using up of food. It strikes me that being an experienced, or at least experimental, cook helps a lot in avoiding the waste of food. Thank you to all
    Originally posted by Skintmama
    This is the joy of this board. You don't have to be masterchef material, all you need is to have an idea that you want to cook healthy cheap filling meals and waste as little as possible

You yourself have taught me a new dessert ( above) JackieO teaches me nothing is to be thrown, MrsLw inspires me with her menu, PN shows how difficult it can be when cooking for one with foibles, Islandmaid with her lovely pictures, just far too many people to mention ( sorry I've not named everyone, you all inspire me)

I have until just recently cooked professionally. I don't turn a hair turning out 50 or 60 3 course meals in 2 hrs. But I don't need to think about them they are on the menu and I've cooked them a million times

Cooking for 3 at home, whilst ringing in the changes is much more of a challenge and I'll take all the help and advice offered that you all, no matter how skilled, offer
    Last edited by Livelongandprosper; 18-05-2017 at 8:27 PM.
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 18th May 17, 7:37 PM
    • 4,679 Posts
    • 34,708 Thanks
    joedenise
    Had some radishes in my veg box this week and neither DH nor I like them particularly but found a recipe for a radish salsa which I decided to use the whole bunch for! Fortunately we both liked it and had some with burgers & fried onions tonight.

There's enough left to have with a bit for salad for lunch tomorrow! Just need to go to my account to add "radishes" never to be sent to me again LOL!

Denise
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 19th May 17, 9:24 AM
    • 289 Posts
    • 3,043 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    Morning all!

Yesterday I made a lovely sweet & sour veg with cashews and rice and my 4 year announced that he now doesn't like rice (he doesn't like pasta already which is a pain). He then clarified it with 'I like the white rice at nursery but I don't like your rice Mummy' - I use brown rice. Hubby would be delighted to hear it as he much prefers white everything but I'm the one that does the food shopping so it's wholegrain all the way Chez Ginmonster.

I fed the boy a baked sweet potato with beans, sweetcorn and the tail end of a tin of sardines that needed using up for his tea and he wolfed it (not surprised - he was hungry after only eating veg and cashew nuts for lunch!).

OH and I are both working from home today so we will be sharing some leftover fridge bottom soup and the last cheese and potato pasty for lunch. Tea will be some sarnies in the car as we're off visiting far away rellies for the weekend straight after work.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 19th May 17, 9:59 AM
    • 60,718 Posts
    • 354,899 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    .... clarified it with 'I like the white rice at nursery but I don't like your rice Mummy' - I use brown rice. Hubby would be delighted to hear it as he much prefers white everything but I'm the one that does the food shopping so it's wholegrain all the way Chez Ginmonster.
    Originally posted by Ginmonster
    I despise brown. It's got a hideous texture and is quite gross and nasty. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE white rice, eat it all the time, basmati Grew up with white long grain being "the norm" for rice, basmati's nicer imho as the grains stay separate.

Brown just has a very funny texture....
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 19th May 17, 10:41 AM
    • 3,684 Posts
    • 12,269 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    I've realised I eat more rice than pasta these days; rice just seems to go with more stuff. However, pasta is very often in supermarket deals, usually where a posh brand is at a comparable price to the cheap stuff. I've had to train myself to ignore these "offers" when they turn out to be not that great value. Rice is rarely on offer I've noticed.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • Livelongandprosper
    • By Livelongandprosper 19th May 17, 11:15 AM
    • 549 Posts
    • 1,636 Thanks
    Livelongandprosper
    I prefer rice to potatoes, only trouble is I can eat mountains of it Basmati is my favourite but I do like brown rice with some dishes, those with a strong brown gravy type dish
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 19th May 17, 12:44 PM
    • 289 Posts
    • 3,043 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    I despise brown. It's got a hideous texture and is quite gross and nasty. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE white rice, eat it all the time, basmati Grew up with white long grain being "the norm" for rice, basmati's nicer imho as the grains stay separate.

Brown just has a very funny texture....
    Originally posted by PasturesNew

Maybe I should send my husband and son round to yours for dinner - I think they might prefer it. ;-)

I really like both brown and white rice and the brown I use is basmati (I agree about the grains). The white rice is fluffier and lighter and the brown is lovely and nutty and chewy. The brown wins hands down on nutritional value though and I've got to do something healthy to offset the gin-drinking. ;-)

It does bug me that brown rice costs loads more than white though.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 19th May 17, 1:03 PM
    • 60,718 Posts
    • 354,899 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Maybe I should send my husband and son round to yours for dinner - I think they might prefer it. ;-)

I really like both brown and white rice and the brown I use is basmati (I agree about the grains). The white rice is fluffier and lighter and the brown is lovely and nutty and chewy. The brown wins hands down on nutritional value though and I've got to do something healthy to offset the gin-drinking. ;-)

It does bug me that brown rice costs loads more than white though.
    Originally posted by Ginmonster
    So actually, you DO eat white.... and now you're just exercising your power, like a kitchen-dictator, just because you CAN...
    .... all in order to hide your secret alcoholism.

Great.

• Sabina595
    • By Sabina595 19th May 17, 2:41 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Sabina595
    Please can you complete a questionnaire for my dissertation
    Hello everyone, I am currently in the middle of my dissertation, for my masters course in marketing. I would like to ask if you could complete my questionnaire. I am trying to find out which age groups of consumers respond to which type of promotions the most in supermarkets. You can of course skip some questions if you want, and the questionnaire should take around 5 - 10 minutes. I will be very grateful if you take part. Please message me for the survey monkey link to my questionnaire. Thank you.
    • WeegieWumman
    • By WeegieWumman 19th May 17, 3:50 PM
    • 227 Posts
    • 1,266 Thanks
    WeegieWumman
    Love food, CREATE waste! Making scrambled eggs and toast for breakffast. Cracked 3 raw eggs into bowl. Accidentally knocked bowl off worktop. One heck of a slippery mess on floor. Need to buy a new bowl!
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 19th May 17, 5:28 PM
    • 289 Posts
    • 3,043 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    So actually, you DO eat white.... and now you're just exercising your power, like a kitchen-dictator, just because you CAN...
    .... all in order to hide your secret alcoholism.

Great.

Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Absolutely! I am completely power mad. My husband and son tremble at my approach and obey my every command.

*Falls off chair laughing at the very thought of her 4 year old obeying any of her commands, ever*
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 19th May 17, 6:04 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 4,142 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Love food, CREATE waste! Making scrambled eggs and toast for breakffast. Cracked 3 raw eggs into bowl. Accidentally knocked bowl off worktop. One heck of a slippery mess on floor. Need to buy a new bowl!
    Originally posted by WeegieWumman
    Not funny for you of course, but sorry, couldn't resist! What did you end up with?

A couple of things used up today: two small slices of hm pizza from the fridge and a can of chickpeas (for hm humous) from the store cupboard. More existing stocks will be consumed this coming week as there's not a lot of dosh left in the food budget - could be some "interesting" meals in the pipeline!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Nov £76.60/£160 NSDs 10/28
    Oct +£9.92 Sep +£42.85 Aug +£84.62 July +£7.98 June -£3.13 May +£10.37

• WeegieWumman
    • By WeegieWumman 20th May 17, 12:14 PM
    • 227 Posts
    • 1,266 Thanks
    WeegieWumman
    Not funny for you of course, but sorry, couldn't resist! What did you end up with?

A couple of things used up today: two small slices of hm pizza from the fridge and a can of chickpeas (for hm humous) from the store cupboard. More existing stocks will be consumed this coming week as there's not a lot of dosh left in the food budget - could be some "interesting" meals in the pipeline!
    Originally posted by YorksLass
    YorksLass,
    DH had porridge followed by toast. I took the remains of a banoffee pie. The banana in the pie is very healthy.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 20th May 17, 12:52 PM
    • 15,508 Posts
    • 126,403 Thanks
    JackieO
    made some sweet chilli houmous which used up a 20p Y/S can of chickpeas and will be used as a spread on my crackers for the next few days with some sliced tomato or cucumber on top.
    That's lunches sorted dinner tonight will be a couple of sausages from the freezer plus mash and cabbage ,carrots and some garden peas, with yogurt for pudding.Last week at W'rose their Hacks bangers were £2.00 for 6 so I bought a pack as they are 97% pork and very filling and I can make three meals with them as the meat content is high.They will also make a nice pasta meal with a couple cooked and chopped up and thrown in, usually I will have some left overs with that meal for the next days lunch as well I never buy cheap bangers or cheap mince as I think its false economy and as I don't eat a great deal of meat I try to buy the best I can.

Just going to make a lemon drizzle cake for DDs tomorrow (use up two sad looking lemons at the bottom of the fridge, and possibly a Victoria sponge cake for the boys as I have quite a few eggs in the fridge and I will have the big oven on anyway .

Have a good weekend chums

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 21st May 17, 7:29 AM
    • 4,835 Posts
    • 58,270 Thanks
    sistercas
    Still digging through the freezer , mince beef today going to turn it into a cottage pie , enough for me today ( DH is away ) and for a meal both of us next week. Got a bag of carrots to use up too.
    RYSAW17. Jan 17. £197.91
    Feb 17. £128.52
    March 17. £210.69
    April 17. £155.59
    May 17. £191.64
    June 17. £126.02
    July 17. £262
    August 17. £22
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 21st May 17, 7:46 AM
    • 4,679 Posts
    • 34,708 Thanks
    joedenise
    Found a bag of cooked lamb tagine in the freezer so have taken out for dinner tonight. Will only need to be reheated and make some couscous which I'll flavour with some fresh herbs which are growing on the window sill; a few pomegranate seeds from the freezer.

Denise
    • Cappella
    • By Cappella 21st May 17, 8:46 AM
    • 405 Posts
    • 5,103 Thanks
    Cappella
    Have defrosted a pork shoulder joint and was planning a roast dinner but it is a big joint, and I thought hmm. If I just roast it all today MrC will snack on huge chunks sneakily this evening because he'll think there will still be plenty and I won't notice
    So, I have cut it in half and have half of it, cut into chunks, bubbling away in the slow cooker with a tin of pineapple and a homemade sweet and sour sauce. When it's cooked and cool I'll pop into the freezer space the joint was in, to serve later in the month. There's still enough for three meals from what's left, for the two of us, as long as I whisk it off the table quickly and hide it in the microwave until it's cold.
    It sounds mean I know, but he's supposed to be cutting down on the amount of red meat he eats, and only sneaks extras if iwith big joints Next time I'll cut big joints in half and then freeze them
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 21st May 17, 9:28 AM
    • 4,679 Posts
    • 34,708 Thanks
    joedenise
    I nearly always cut large joints in half or even into 3 if it's big enough. I'm happy enough if it's big enough to get 2 meals out of. Not keen on joints that only do one meal, seems a waste of electric just cooking for one meal.

Denise
    • Livelongandprosper
    • By Livelongandprosper 21st May 17, 10:55 AM
    • 549 Posts
    • 1,636 Thanks
    Livelongandprosper
    I'm another who cuts joints
    We seem to always get landed with large lumps of pork loin ( ys). With those I cut a few chops off , as well as a couple of smaller joints. One such small joint last week made a perfectly acceptable pulled pork ( was really tiny but pulled it went far)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,389Posts Today

9,368Users online

Martin's Twitter