Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    • 14,934Posts
    • 121,036Thanks
    JackieO
    Love Food, Hate Waste
    • 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    Love Food, Hate Waste 27th Feb 17 at 4:33 PM
    I have been surfing around the internet this afternoon and found a site about Stop Wasting Food I think had quite a good idea ,in that instead of restricting ourselves from certain stuff during Lent perhaps it would be better to limit the over buying, and use up the initial stuff we already have .There is apparently a Russian young lady who seemingly has reduced the amount that Dennmark wastes by changing peoples out look in the supermarkets, and they have significantly reduced the amount of stuff being binned into landfill

Now to me that seems like a pretty good idea. The supermarkets have reduced amounts binned by instead of offering BOGOFFs they have reduced single purchases so its more economical to buy less. Doesn't sound like a bad idea ,I can understand people buying large amounts if they have larger families, but how often have we all been swayed by BOGOFFs,myself included. What do you all think ?
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
Page 21
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 21st Apr 17, 7:58 AM
    • 17,089 Posts
    • 43,235 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Many thanks for all the suggestions re my left-over potato, leek and cheese filling.

When pressed, OH confessed he wasn't that keen on it (it may have partly been the puff pastry as he prefers shortcrust) so I'm going to use half today for my lunch as a gratin with a topping of packet stuffing (I'll make the surplus into stuffing balls and pop in the freezer to have either with a dinner or on chicken or pork sandwiches (OH doesn't 'do' stuffing) and a small salad.
    I'll have the other half for lunch tomorrow on some toasted thick cut granary bread.

Have a great weekend, Jackie.
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 22nd Apr 17, 5:58 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 2,705 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Dinner came from the stores tonight, was able to persuade my boyfriend to have rice you actually cook yourself rather than a microwave bag.
    Originally posted by Florence J
    Well done on your powers of persuasion! Lots of people seem to struggle with cooking rice (too stodgy, too much in quantity) but once you get the hang of it, then it's easy - and way, way cheaper than the microwave stuff.

Whilst I have lists of what's in the freezer and store cupboards, I don't normally do one for the fridge but today I've done one as I seem to have lots of cream,cheese, yogurt, pots of desserts etc. It's on the fridge door and is in two parts: items opened and needing to be used, and unopened with the use by dates at the side. It's telling me to keep out of the dairy aisle!

Friday's "small" shopping trip turned out to be somewhat larger than I'd planned BUT it did include a leg of pork (on offer, long date and to be used next weekend) and YS items: 3 individual strawberry cheesecakes, potato croquettes, sweet chilli pork sausages and 2 small'ish Easter eggs (were £1 each down to 30p each). I managed to shoe-horn the croquettes and sausages into the freezer, the cheesecakes will be gone by the end of today and the Easter eggs plus contents (white chocolate buttons sprinkled with sugar strands) will be used in baking. Total cost of shopping was £26.21 so, although more than planned, still within monthly budget.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Aug GC: £200 - £0.00 = £200 NSDs 0/35
    July GC +£7.98 June GC -£3.13 May GC +£10.37

• JackieO
    • By JackieO 22nd Apr 17, 7:22 PM
    • 14,934 Posts
    • 121,036 Thanks
    JackieO
    Went to Bury market today and can't believe how many bargains there were there . Got some smashing wool to use in my charity blankets for a pound a ball, over less than half what it would cost at home.Met some smashing folk and we had lots of chatting with them and enjoyed lots of banter. Tomorrow we are off to Lyme Park which is quite close to where we are staying.Apart from buying lots of bargains in the market ,we really haven't spent all that much

Bought a huge bag of cajun spice at the spice shop in the market for only 99p !!!my favourite when having chiken pieces. Even found a box of Terrys Old Gold chocolates for tonight for 25p while we watch tv

Cheers chums

JackieO xx
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 23rd Apr 17, 5:30 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 2,705 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Today Iíve been on a fruit rescue mission Ė plums and a banana. I poached the plums in a little water, then pushed them through a sieve to get rid of the skins and added a little icing sugar to sweeten/thicken the pulpy juice thatís now in a tub in the fridge. We can use this as a topping for ice cream or stir through plain yogurt. It will probably be the latter since I have yogurt to use up whereas the ice cream can stay in the freezer for now.

Then I used up my stash of biscuit crumbs stirred into melted butter and pressed down into two dishes to make biscuit crumb bases. Made Ĺ pint of thick custard, added a mashed banana and a bit of cream; poured over biscuit base and now have two banana custard cream desserts for tomorrow. Iíll top them with some chopped nuts or grated chocolate just before serving.

Iím now waiting for my YS pears to ripen. I love these chopped, served on crispy lettuce and topped with cottage cheese. I first had this as a teenager in the 60s in what was then a very trendy milk bar. Itís been a favourite ever since and makes a light lunch, especially on warm summer days.

Dinner for tonight is pork casserole done in the sc (diced pork steaks, onions, carrots and celery Ė all from freezer - plus an eating apple), broccoli and Rumbledethumps. This might be called a different name elsewhere but itís a mix of cooked potato, swede and savoy cabbage topped with grated cheese Ė I suppose itís a variation on bubble & squeak. Itís a very handy way to use up any LO cooked spuds and veg, plus you can freeze it and re-heat in the oven or the microwave.

Jackie, well done on your market buys; a really good price for the bag of Cajun spice, and I hope you enjoyed your chocolates!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

• JackieO
    • By JackieO 23rd Apr 17, 6:10 PM
    • 14,934 Posts
    • 121,036 Thanks
    JackieO
    Chocolates went down a treat we had 6 each only a small box, but enough for us and at 25p a bargain.
    today we went to Lyme Park and had a nice walk around in the sun and then went into the house for a mooch (free to NT cardholders )We took a flask and a sandwich each for lunch ,but did have a pot of tea and a coffee in the afternoon.Good value at £4.00 and I squeezed two cups out of the teapot Then we drove to Buxton for a walk arond and again sat in the sunshine eating a cornet (us old'uns know how to live
    Just arrived back to our holiday house and we are having a chicken salad with some cooked chicken from yesterdays market and a salad for dinner tonight and some tinned rice and fruit for pudding (brought from my tinned stash at home) Haven't spent much cash at all today as we both put a joint set amount in a seperate purse to cover afternoon teas and/or cornets
    Tomorrow we are going on the park and ride into Manchester and hope to visit the Lowry and a few museums..

JackieO xx
    Last edited by JackieO; 23-04-2017 at 11:50 PM.
    • WeeMidgie
    • By WeeMidgie 23rd Apr 17, 6:11 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 4,241 Thanks
    WeeMidgie
    I need to defrost the freezer part of my fridge / freezer, so I'm using up freezer supplies which have been hanging around.

Today I made an ox tail casserole in my pressure cooker, which made 6 portions when I took the meat off the bones. Four portions are for freezing but take up less space than the packs of ox tail did. The bones will be used again to make stock. And I have about 1 litre of liquor from the casserole which will be the base for this week's soup.

I needed a change from the polenta I've been using up to make porridge. So this morning I whizzed up some desiccated coconut in my Vitamix with water = instant coconut milk, and used it with some home made muesli mix which needed to be used up.

Good bargains, JackieO. I like Cajun spice too, it has a nice kick used with chicken. Another favourite of mine is chicken thighs cooked in the Remoska with a drizzle of olive oil and one or two lemons cut into eight pieces each, and as many green olives as you like. Simple but oh so tasty! With whole green beans on the side, it's a hit every time.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 23rd Apr 17, 6:47 PM
    • 3,664 Posts
    • 28,312 Thanks
    Floss
    ...Iím now waiting for my YS pears to ripen. I love these chopped, served on crispy lettuce and topped with cottage cheese. I first had this as a teenager in the 60s in what was then a very trendy milk bar. Itís been a favourite ever since and makes a light lunch, especially on warm summer days.
    Originally posted by YorksLass
    I love sliced pears with walnuts & blue cheese on crispy lettuce, I will have to try your variation.

We've just had pasta bake made from the remains of a bag of shapes, the last bits of a roast chicken, some roasted veg from the fridge, a jar of h/m tomato sauce and topped with the last handful of grated cheese. Scrummy, cleared the fridge, and enough left for lunches for work or supper for us on Tuesday
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 23rd Apr 17, 7:04 PM
    • 25,483 Posts
    • 102,978 Thanks
    candygirl
    I've had red lentil pasta for tea, n got tons left for this week
    Glad you're having a fab time JACKIEO, n enjoy the Lowry tomorrow x
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 23rd Apr 17, 7:07 PM
    • 22,915 Posts
    • 47,637 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    From being very bare, my fridge is now fit to burst: mainly because I went mad buying veggies at Aldi last week, and then bought a load of cheese from Lidl at the weekend. In an attempt to cut down on supplies, I made two huge cheese and vegetable (cauli, broccoli and leek) pies topped with mash which I'm going to have to fit in the freezer somehow - it can stay there until family unexpectedly pop over for supper. If I can manage this, I shall be fit for the Krypton factor!

Still got a load of cauliflower, courgettes and leeks in the fridge so they will be turned into a big fat curry later this week, and again end up in the freezer. Am wondering how many loaves of bread I am going to have to liberate from it this week to make some space .

The non-MSE news is that I had to throw a courgette away, as it was well past it's best. There was another one I bought a couple of weeks ago that I spiralised and planned to eat with a spoonful of pesto stirred through, but after all this cooking I just cannot be bothered to do anything other than relax with a big mug of tea and a good book. I'm hoping the courgette lasts in the fridge until tomorrow now.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 23rd Apr 17, 9:28 PM
    • 1,516 Posts
    • 8,486 Thanks
    Florence J
    Have some jelly packets that need using up before May. I expect they would be fine after May but any excuse to make grown up vodka jelly is ok in my book. Made 1 pint strawberry jelly with 50ml vodka and poured it into two mason jars with cucumber and apple batons inside. Lovely.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553 (£90) Wombling free 2017 = £1226.22 Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£2313.43/£3000) Debt to OH paid back £851.75/£1001.75
    July 2017 Credit Card Debt: £4567.40
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 23rd Apr 17, 11:36 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 44,794 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    I discovered a jar of steak seasoning in the cupboard, a year and a day past the use by, but it was still free flowing and had plenty of zing when tasted.
    I used it as a sprinkle over oven baked jacket wedges. The potatoes were the 29p ones from Aldi's super 6 and oh gosh they were lovely. Saves me buying BBQ seasoning for my wedges for a while. Steak doesn't often feature on my menus now.
    The main bit of the meal was smoked mackerel fishcakes. The wedges made the meal a bit carb-heavy and I slept for a couple of hours afterwards but what the heck!
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 24th Apr 17, 8:35 AM
    • 4,833 Posts
    • 58,208 Thanks
    sistercas
    Jackie O sounds like you are having a fantastic but frugal time , I remember taking my dds to the Lowry museum many moons ago , dd1 was doing a project on him at school , we had a lovely trip .

VfM4meplse the pies sound lovely hope u squeezed them all in the freezer

I've had a weekend with the dds and boyfriends , but they've gone back now and I'm left with a fair amount of food that wasn't eaten . Some of it I can freeze but I have 2 huge cucumbers that I'm not sure what to do with. I don't even know why I have 2 there only so much salad I can eat , any ideas gratefully received
    RYSAW17. Jan 17. £197.91
    Feb 17. £128.52
    March 17. £210.69
    April 17. £155.59
    May 17. £191.64
    June 17. £126.02
    July 17. £262
    • JessaEra
    • By JessaEra 24th Apr 17, 9:03 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    JessaEra
    Same here. i cannot stand the fact that there are many families out there who are hungry to death while our household seems like there's so much food to waste and turns out everything is just normal to throw leftovers.

What I usually do is that I tend to be creative in ways that the other members will never imagine they were eating exactly the meat served yesterday or the fried fish they just ate last night. I always do some experimenting to the menu that I will cook for today without jeopardizing the taste of the leftover foods that I will use as the main ingredient.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 24th Apr 17, 9:08 AM
    • 4,642 Posts
    • 66,831 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Morning all - back to normal after my holidays.

It's nice to eat veggies again - we haven't had a lot of those these past two weeks.

last night we had roast chicken and the trimmings. Cooked enough for me to plate up some leftovers for tonight, as OH and DS are out. The carcass is in making stock as we speak and that will be turned into carrot, squash and coriander soup. The squash is weeks (if not over a month ) old but will be ok in soup.

Also need to make space in the freezer for it - tomorrow we will have HM lasagne from the freezer as both OH and I are out till early evening so it will be a doddle to just microwave them when we get in. I don't eat pasta so layer mine with thinly sliced sweet potato, carrot and courgette (a layer of each). This will make room for the soup.

Have a lovely time in Manchester, JackieO
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 24th Apr 17, 9:18 AM
    • 22,915 Posts
    • 47,637 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Some of it I can freeze but I have 2 huge cucumbers that I'm not sure what to do with. I don't even know why I have 2 there only so much salad I can eat , any ideas gratefully received
    Originally posted by sistercas
    Slice and freeze them (in a single layer and then bag up / divided by clean plastic bags) and add to cold water in the summer to add a little flavour.

Cucumber is easier to eat than you might think! Slice thickly and arrange on a plate, grind black pepper over the slices and sprinkle with cheese. Yum

Or make a raita? http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/cucumberandmintraita_67787 . I add boiled potatoes, spring onions and spices, and top with half a pack of crushed crisps. Makes a quick but satisfying supper dish for one.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 24th Apr 17, 9:29 AM
    • 4,833 Posts
    • 58,208 Thanks
    sistercas
    Slice and freeze them (in a single layer and then bag up / divided by clean plastic bags) and add to cold water in the summer to add a little flavour.

Cucumber is easier to eat than you might think! Slice thickly and arrange on a plate, grind black pepper over the slices and sprinkle with cheese. Yum

Or make a raita? http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/cucumberandmintraita_67787 . I add boiled potatoes, spring onions and spices, and top with half a pack of crushed crisps. Makes a quick but satisfying supper dish for one.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Fabulous ideas thankyou , I like the raita idea and I have mint in the garden , I think that would be nice with fish cakes
    RYSAW17. Jan 17. £197.91
    Feb 17. £128.52
    March 17. £210.69
    April 17. £155.59
    May 17. £191.64
    June 17. £126.02
    July 17. £262
    • THIRZAH
    • By THIRZAH 24th Apr 17, 10:48 AM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 5,915 Thanks
    THIRZAH
    You could try making cucumber soup or Delia has a recipe for pickled cucumber which is easy to make.
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 24th Apr 17, 2:57 PM
    • 4,833 Posts
    • 58,208 Thanks
    sistercas
    You could try making cucumber soup or Delia has a recipe for pickled cucumber which is easy to make.
    Originally posted by THIRZAH
    I've never heard of cucumber soup , I'll google it
    RYSAW17. Jan 17. £197.91
    Feb 17. £128.52
    March 17. £210.69
    April 17. £155.59
    May 17. £191.64
    June 17. £126.02
    July 17. £262
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 24th Apr 17, 6:03 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 2,705 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Have some jelly packets that need using up before May. I expect they would be fine after May but any excuse to make grown up vodka jelly is ok in my book. Made 1 pint strawberry jelly with 50ml vodka and poured it into two mason jars with cucumber and apple batons inside. Lovely.
    Originally posted by Florence J
    Love this idea, will have to try it!

I discovered a jar of steak seasoning in the cupboard, a year and a day past the use by, but it was still free flowing and had plenty of zing when tasted. I used it as a sprinkle over oven baked jacket wedges.
    Originally posted by mcculloch29
    Fab creative thinking!

Finished off a large packet of popcorn last night while I was watching TV; it's been open for a while and I thought it might have gone a bit soft but the "peg on the top of the bag" trick seems to have worked OK.

Dinner tonight will be hm spicy lamb & chickpea pasties with cauliflower and mash. There's some cauli and a bit of broccoli left in the fridge; not enough of each on their own for the two of us but together they'll make a gratin for later in the week.

My only other "use up" today was a couple of small slices of cooked turkey that we had at lunchtime as open sandwiches with a dollop of onion chutney.

• JackieO
    • By JackieO 24th Apr 17, 11:00 PM
    • 14,934 Posts
    • 121,036 Thanks
    JackieO
    Although on my holidays we used up some sliced roast pork from Saturday's market in our sandwiches tonight as we had a fish 'n'chip lunch out, so we full up still when we got home.

Have run out of ginger nut biscuits though !!! urgently needs be bought tomorrow morning
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

118Posts Today

2,383Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin