Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    • 14,932Posts
    • 121,003Thanks
    JackieO
    Love Food, Hate Waste
    • 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    Love Food, Hate Waste 27th Feb 17 at 4:33 PM
    I have been surfing around the internet this afternoon and found a site about Stop Wasting Food I think had quite a good idea ,in that instead of restricting ourselves from certain stuff during Lent perhaps it would be better to limit the over buying, and use up the initial stuff we already have .There is apparently a Russian young lady who seemingly has reduced the amount that Dennmark wastes by changing peoples out look in the supermarkets, and they have significantly reduced the amount of stuff being binned into landfill

Now to me that seems like a pretty good idea. The supermarkets have reduced amounts binned by instead of offering BOGOFFs they have reduced single purchases so its more economical to buy less. Doesn't sound like a bad idea ,I can understand people buying large amounts if they have larger families, but how often have we all been swayed by BOGOFFs,myself included. What do you all think ?
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
Page 20
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 19th Apr 17, 6:44 PM
    • 14,932 Posts
    • 121,003 Thanks
    JackieO
    I am off from Kent about 08.00 in the morning so will be on the M1 hopefully mid morning Just had my car serviced and MOT'd plus I needed three new tyres !!! ouch but safer than taking a chance on the motorway. I am staying at a place called High Lanes which my friend said if you think of Manchester as a clock face then its twenty past four and around 9 miles to the south east of the city Good job I have sat-nav
    Looking forward to visiting some museums and possibly meeting up with the DD of an old friend whom I haven't seen for over 20 years.Plus my nephew lives in Tottington which is near to Bury so I am hoping to see him as well. but it will be nice to explore another part of the UK.

Just scrabbled some veg for dinner from the freezer to go with my pork stuffing coated chop.its been a long afternoon as I had to go first to the garage then to the tyre place to get those changed but have had some interesting conversations with other customers who also were waiting
    feet up tonight but tomorrow morning I shall be making some peanut butter cookies and probably a lemon drizzle cake to take with me on Friday, I have already sorted out some basic bits in a small plastic crate to cover us for when we get up there as I'm not sure how far from any shops we may be .
    Have a good evening chums

JackieO xx
    Last edited by JackieO; 20-04-2017 at 1:05 AM.
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 19th Apr 17, 6:56 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 2,686 Thanks
    YorksLass
    YorksLass I am so pleased that the thread is still chugging along, and at how inventive folk have been in helping to eat up what they have before buying more. JackieO xx
    Originally posted by JackieO
    The “what can I do with this” or “kitchen cupboard bugbear” thread is a good sister thread to this one – lots of good ideas on it. Never too old to learn, eh?

It is so much easier to use things and not waste food when there is space in the fridge. I am really enjoying this and think that I will never go back to stuffing the fridge, freezer and cupboards again. It is actually really daunting being faced with a mountain of food that needs using up quickly. I am sure this is one reason why people end up throwing it all in the bin. I much prefer being able to easily stay on top of it as I am now.
    Originally posted by Skintmama
    I couldn’t agree more! Evidenced only too well in last night’s TV programme “Save Money: Good Food”. A family of four, two adults and two children, that spends somewhere in the region of £200pw on food plus another £60-£80pw on takeaways. And even worse, about a third of that ended up in the bin! Methinks they would do well to join us!

Have a good time in Mancland, Jackie. You seem to be always gallivanting off somewhere.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

July GC: £160 - £152.02 = £7.98 NSDs 15/28
    June GC: £200 - £203.13 = £3.13 NSDs 26/35
    May GC: £160
    - £149.63 = £10.37 NSDs 20/28
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 19th Apr 17, 7:10 PM
    • 4,546 Posts
    • 33,536 Thanks
    joedenise
    "...old friend whom I haven't seen for over 205 years."

A bit of a typo there JackieO! You're not that old, LOL!

Enjoy your trip.

Denise
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 20th Apr 17, 1:07 AM
    • 14,932 Posts
    • 121,003 Thanks
    JackieO
    "...old friend whom I haven't seen for over 205 years."

A bit of a typo there JackieO! You're not that old, LOL!

Enjoy your trip.

Denise
    Originally posted by joedenise
    feels like it sometimes .Its this blooming MacAir lap-top it has a mind of its own at times. I am much better on my old clunky desktop which I am still running XP on , wide awake and couldn't sleep as my bones were aching a bit so came on to have a shufti I do like to gallivant a bit it's true
    Just been looking at Lyme Park which is apparently near to where we are staying has a decent tea room as well which is handy we must go there as I am reading a book about Jane Austen and fancy a peek at where Mr Darcy showed off his pects in that shirt as it was filmed there
    Last edited by JackieO; 20-04-2017 at 1:10 AM.
    • WeeMidgie
    • By WeeMidgie 20th Apr 17, 9:10 AM
    • 217 Posts
    • 4,238 Thanks
    WeeMidgie
    The polenta porridge is okay, and I will use the packet up, but won't buy it again. Originally I bought it for making a side dish for savoury meals.

The porridge works best with flavouring and texture to make it interesting, so as well as shredded coconut and coconut oil, I'm adding raisins and a sweet spice (cinnamon, nutmeg or mace).

Agree re having less clutter in the fridge being less overwhelming. I can instantly see what needs used, as these items get moved to the use-it-up shelf which is just below eye level and therefore the first thing I see when I open the fridge door. Long term storage (bottles, jars etc) are on the top shelf which, as a shortie I view from underneath.

Enjoy your break, JackieO. It's always good to spend time with our friends.
    • kaz13
    • By kaz13 20th Apr 17, 9:52 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    kaz13
    My friend was throwing away 10 x cream egg Easter eggs (all new in PKTS) as she had left them in the porch, and the sun got on them, so all the chocolate has gone whiting ish colour and crumbly!
    I said I would take them off her hands -
    Can I melt them down for crispy cakes ? Will they be ok, as it seems a shame to waste them, including the cream eggs.
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 20th Apr 17, 9:59 AM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 44,794 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    My friend was throwing away 10 x cream egg Easter eggs (all new in PKTS) as she had left them in the porch, and the sun got on them, so all the chocolate has gone whiting ish colour and crumbly!
    I said I would take them off her hands -
    Can I melt them down for crispy cakes ? Will they be ok, as it seems a shame to waste them, including the cream eggs.
    Originally posted by kaz13
    The chocolate will be fine, as you probably know, it's just cocoa butter coming to the surface and spoiling the appearance.
    I would have thought the fondant - the 'white and yolk' of the creme egg might have made it a bit gooey, but there are some recipes here:
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 20th Apr 17, 10:36 AM
    • 17,081 Posts
    • 43,166 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I've already asked this question on the 'what are you having for dinner' thread:

Last night I cooked Mary Berry's potato, leek and cheese pie and I have a fair bit of the filling left over.

It has (unsurprisingly) chunks of potato, leeks and cheese (cheddar and parmesan) and onion.

It also has 600ml milk and flour to thicken it so it's quite 'gloopy'.

And herbs.

I don't want to do another pie and was thinking I could maybe add some veg stock (it's not too salty) and thin it down to have as soup but am not sure if that would work with the cheese in it.

If it didn't already have potato in, it would make a nice topping for a jacket potato.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    • Skintmama
    • By Skintmama 20th Apr 17, 11:23 AM
    • 453 Posts
    • 1,425 Thanks
    Skintmama
    I always add some grated cheese to my leek and potato soup to add protein and make it a complete meal. It has been fine when reheated but some cheese can go a bit grainy when boiled, so I find it best to just get it hot rather than boiling. Adding a lot of stock could make the sauce split too. I would just add it gradually as I heat it and see how it goes.

Otherwise, I would probably just reheat it and have it over hot, buttered toast for lunch. My go to for many odds and ends!
    GC March £100/£100 GC April £140.47/£150
    GC May £150.16/£150 GC June £187.40/£200
    GC July £186/£200
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 20th Apr 17, 12:08 PM
    • 59,231 Posts
    • 345,830 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I just used a tin of tuna that's been in the cupboard for ages ... and a whole chilli I'd bought last year/frozen and a thin slice of onions I bought about Xmas time.

Doesn't free up much space, but it stopped me going to lust over pies in the shop
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 20th Apr 17, 12:13 PM
    • 59,231 Posts
    • 345,830 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I don't want to do another pie and was thinking I could ....have as soup
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    My first thought was the jacket spud ...

You could just "bake" a dollop of it, as it is, without adding anything more to it.... just dollop it into an oven dish, then shove in the oven to heat through/brown for 20 minutes or so.

Serve with .... salad, or chips, or baked beans... depending what you've got and whether you think it needs "a bit more colour on the plate".

Another alternative would be to "thicken it further" by cooking up another batch of mashed spuds, then combining the lot into potato cakes (stuffed if the mix is runny, or all mixed together if adding more potato's stiffened it enough), then coat with an outer crumb of your choice .... and either cooking or freezing fat "spud/leek/cheese bakes".

Or just "suck it up" and sigh, shove it in a microwave dish, nuke it for 2-3 minutes and eat it with a spoon as it is
    • Floss
    • By Floss 20th Apr 17, 1:26 PM
    • 3,661 Posts
    • 28,294 Thanks
    Floss
    Pollycat why not put breadcrumbs on top, pop into a hot oven and have as a gratin with some green veg or salad?
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 20th Apr 17, 2:49 PM
    • 3,038 Posts
    • 5,756 Thanks
    jackyann
    I have seen smashed up creme eggs used in ice cream.....
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 20th Apr 17, 3:11 PM
    • 14,932 Posts
    • 121,003 Thanks
    JackieO
    I was thinking about a gratin type of meal pollycat sometimes if I have cracker crumbs left in the bottom of my cracker tin I put them in a lock'n'lock box until I have enough then mix with a bit of cayenne pepper or paprika thats hanging about the cupboard to help use it up,give them a hearty wallop in my mortar and pestle until throughly mixed up and spread on top of left over veg and bake for about 20 minutes ,or until the top browns off . Great with any veg and delicious with cabbage or brussels left overs.I don't eat bread only crackers so I don't even chuck away the crumbs god no wonder my kids think I squeak when I walk
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 20th Apr 17, 3:56 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 2,261 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    Lyme Park is very nice JackieO. I can also recommend Quarry Bank Mill if you have NT membership as it's and old cotton mill with lots of the old machines still in there and pleasant gardens too. In view the city centre there is the People's History Museum which had lots of stuff about everything from the peterloo massacre to the rise of trade unions and the suffragette movement, all of which have strong links to Manchester. The Royal Exchange is worth popping in to as most of the cotton in the world used to be traded there. It now contains a great theatre but you can pop in when there's not a performance on. The Manchester art gallery has lots of interesting stuff including a good chunk of Pre-Raphaelite paintings if that's your thing. The museum of science and industry is great too - it's got lots of local interest from how cotton is made to early computing developed in Manchester and even the new wonder material graphene which had discovered here.

Can you tell i love Manchester? :-)
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 20th Apr 17, 6:59 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 2,686 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Agree re having less clutter in the fridge being less overwhelming. I can instantly see what needs used, as these items get moved to the use-it-up shelf which is just below eye level and therefore the first thing I see when I open the fridge door. Long term storage (bottles, jars etc) are on the top shelf which, as a shortie I view from underneath.
    Originally posted by WeeMidgie
    Another “titch” here; like you I also store the long-term things on the top shelf and have the “needs to be used” stuff on the eye-level shelf so I can’t miss it.

Tonight’s dinner is Sunday’s LO lamb + onions/red pepper/peas/a large past-its-best squishy tomato cooked in a jar of red Thai curry sauce and served with rice and a YS naan bread (just waiting for the rice to plump up so we can eat).

This morning I used up the last bits of the lamb to make pasty filling: lamb/onion/red chilli pepper/chickpeas/broccoli stems whizzed up in the FP, chilli powder/dried mint and a little tomato puree to bind = four fat pasties in the freezer. The pastry trimmings turned into 3 jam tarts and 3 orange curd tarts. I also made bread for the weekend so the kitchen had a very appetising smell coming from it.

Other odds and ends used up over the last couple of days include hm potato salad (salmon salad for Wed dinner), ¼ tin chopped tomatoes (in a sausage sandwich for brekkie yesterday) and eggs + wholemeal toast (this morning).

I’ve also “doctored” a new jar of mint sauce by putting half into a clean empty jar and diluting both jars down with some vinegar. I find it’s a bit too thick for our liking and this way I can get an extra half a jar.

A small shop required tomorrow – strong bread flour and a couple of jars of B*xter’s chutney (while they’re still on offer), some frozen cod loins (if they’re on offer), butter, milk, kitchen roll, tissues and I think that’s about it. My freezer is pretty full again so I’ll have to be selective if I spot any YS goods!

I have a carton of long-life milk that will need using up soon – bought before Xmas for Justin as I always like to have some in over the winter months – and I think that will probably be destined for a large custard tart and some porridge next week.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

July GC: £160 - £152.02 = £7.98 NSDs 15/28
    June GC: £200 - £203.13 = £3.13 NSDs 26/35
    May GC: £160
    - £149.63 = £10.37 NSDs 20/28
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 20th Apr 17, 7:01 PM
    • 22,905 Posts
    • 47,607 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    JackieO - Manchester is a brilliant place, enjoy! IIRC Bury holds a big market on Saturdays, might be food though
    I've already asked this question on the 'what are you having for dinner' thread:

Last night I cooked Mary Berry's potato, leek and cheese pie and I have a fair bit of the filling left over.

It has (unsurprisingly) chunks of potato, leeks and cheese (cheddar and parmesan) and onion.

It also has 600ml milk and flour to thicken it so it's quite 'gloopy'.

And herbs.

I don't want to do another pie and was thinking I could maybe add some veg stock (it's not too salty) and thin it down to have as soup but am not sure if that would work with the cheese in it.

If it didn't already have potato in, it would make a nice topping for a jacket potato.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    You have inspired me to make the same (for once I have leeks and potatoes), thanks
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 20th Apr 17, 8:52 PM
    • 1,516 Posts
    • 8,485 Thanks
    Florence J
    Dinner came from the stores tonight, was able to persuade my boyfriend to have rice you actually cook yourself rather than a microwave bag.

Need to do some shopping though.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553 (£90) Wombling free 2017 = £1226.22 Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£2313.43/£3000) Debt to OH paid back £851.75/£1001.75
    July 2017 Credit Card Debt: £4567.40
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 20th Apr 17, 9:50 PM
    • 25,483 Posts
    • 102,974 Thanks
    candygirl
    Cheese n onion butty for tea here.Am in a cba mood lol
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 21st Apr 17, 6:44 AM
    • 14,932 Posts
    • 121,003 Thanks
    JackieO
    Thanks for the info chums I am up and about already ,car packed and I am just having some coffee.The peoples museum sound good as I did a lot about the Victorian era and the Peterloo massacre when I was at Uni.Quarry bank sound good as well and we both have NT cards.I think I shall have an interesting week.Bury market sounds good as well So much to see and do.The weather is a bit overcast at the moment but at least its dry. Hopefully the wi-fi will be working in our holiday cottage so I will be able to keep an eye on things If not have a good week chums and I'll see you next friday when I am home again
    Cheers everyone
    JackieO xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,291Posts Today

8,378Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin