Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    • 14,929Posts
    • 120,961Thanks
    JackieO
    Love Food, Hate Waste
    • 27th Feb 17, 4:33 PM
    Love Food, Hate Waste 27th Feb 17 at 4:33 PM
    I have been surfing around the internet this afternoon and found a site about Stop Wasting Food I think had quite a good idea ,in that instead of restricting ourselves from certain stuff during Lent perhaps it would be better to limit the over buying, and use up the initial stuff we already have .There is apparently a Russian young lady who seemingly has reduced the amount that Dennmark wastes by changing peoples out look in the supermarkets, and they have significantly reduced the amount of stuff being binned into landfill

Now to me that seems like a pretty good idea. The supermarkets have reduced amounts binned by instead of offering BOGOFFs they have reduced single purchases so its more economical to buy less. Doesn't sound like a bad idea ,I can understand people buying large amounts if they have larger families, but how often have we all been swayed by BOGOFFs,myself included. What do you all think ?
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
Page 19
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 18th Apr 17, 7:01 AM
    • 59,222 Posts
    • 345,743 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ^
    Do you use frozen onions defrosted as they are PasturesNew?
    Originally posted by katkin
    It depends what I'm doing/how I feel. For the spud salad I tossed them in still frozen - because I was making the spud salad and it's best after it's sat and refrigerated for a few hours, so I figured they'd defrost in that time ....

If I were making a cheese/onion sandwich I'd probably defrost them first though .... but if I were making cheese/onion sandwiches to go into a lunchbox "to be eaten later" I'd just shove them in frozen.

I chuck frozen onions on top of pizzas/similar as they'll defrost during cooking.

I'd defrost frozen onions before putting them into a slow cooker just because it's daft not to when the microwave's sitting there and it'll reduce the time the slow cooker takes to get up to bubbling point for the sake of a 20-30 second blast.

I've just recently got into frozen veg and find it useful for soups and casserole type things but so far I've not used it for anything else.
    Originally posted by katkin
    I use frozen veg as you just take what you need when you need it... but I can't have a vast range as the freezer's simply not large enough, so I tend to start with 1Kg of the peas/carrots/green beans/sweetcorn mix ... and get a maximum of 1-2 other veggies over time. A 1Kg bag of veggies can sit in the freezer for months though, so I can't have half the freezer choc-a-bloc with frozen veg that's not being used.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 18th Apr 17, 7:08 AM
    • 4,642 Posts
    • 66,799 Thanks
    VJsmum
    As it was, we came back to the apartment late last night. We hadn't eaten and all supermarkets had been closed all day. Spaghetti Bol was made in 20 mins, nothing wasted and cost only £5. So what we'd saved on eating out paid for our activities that day
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 18th Apr 17, 7:08 AM
    • 59,222 Posts
    • 345,743 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    .... dried onions. I chuck a handful at a time into soups,casseroles curries etc and they are fine, .... save chopping and dicing for just a few bits of onion ... absolutely no waste at all and cheap as chips
    Originally posted by JackieO
    I use these too - huge bag it is... and half way through I thought "I'll get another of those as I'm using quite a lot" - and promptly found I had no use for them ... so they're in the cupboard. But they'll keep for years.

LOVE the smell of them when I pop open the container

They'll get used up at some point when I go back to fancying them and including them again. I binge-use ingredients and products, so I'll have something, like it, stock up, then move on to something else that's why I've about 6 tins of tuna ... last year after I'd stocked up it stopped being "summer".... so they'll get opened in the coming months.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 18th Apr 17, 7:40 AM
    • 3,659 Posts
    • 28,266 Thanks
    Floss
    I predict that many who end up buying the "Cauli Rice" product that got a prime time advertising slot this evening will be kicking themselves when they realise how easy it is to make
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    That's like the packets of "instant" flavoured couscous for as much if not more as a 500g bag of plain couscous...
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 18th Apr 17, 9:29 AM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 44,793 Thanks
    mcculloch29

That's like the packets of "instant" flavoured couscous for as much if not more as a 500g bag of plain couscous...
    Originally posted by Floss
    The Aldi bags of plain couscous have recently appeared on the shelves and are great value for money. Their flavoured couscous was half the price of other brands anyway, but the plain version still represents a significant saving.

I enjoy grating up a cauliflower for cauliflower rice. I first did it for one of Jack Monroe's recipes, from her second cookbook, and wondered why people hadn't thought of it before. Or perhaps they had, and the secret was lost.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • WeeMidgie
    • By WeeMidgie 18th Apr 17, 10:14 AM
    • 215 Posts
    • 4,230 Thanks
    WeeMidgie
    I'm about to use up a packet of plain polenta over the next few weeks by making HFW's polenta porridge for breakfast from the River Cottage Light and Easy recipe book. The recipe calls for canned coconut milk which would make it expensive to make on a regular basis, but I'll substitute for that. I have desiccated coconut and will blitz it in my Vitamix with warm water and a smidgen of coconut oil, then add the mix to the pot.
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 18th Apr 17, 12:02 PM
    • 4,546 Posts
    • 33,529 Thanks
    joedenise
    No waste in my house today - all meals from fridge and cupboards.

Bacon & mushroom sandwich for breakfast
    LO spinach, sweet potato & red lentil dahl for lunch
    Sweet & sour pork with rice using up LO roast pork from Sunday, rice from cupboard and S&S sauce using cupboard ingredients.

I try to incorporate a lot of what I already have in fridge, freezers & cupboards into all my menu plans. My inside freezer (part of a fridge/freezer) is still pretty full; my outside one about 1/2 full but will defrost that once I've used up a bit more stuff from there.

Denise
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 18th Apr 17, 12:21 PM
    • 17,058 Posts
    • 43,100 Thanks
    Pollycat
    No waste in my house today - all meals from fridge and cupboards.

Bacon & mushroom sandwich for breakfast
    LO spinach, sweet potato & red lentil dahl for lunch
    Sweet & sour pork with rice using up LO roast pork from Sunday, rice from cupboard and S&S sauce using cupboard ingredients.

I try to incorporate a lot of what I already have in fridge, freezers & cupboards into all my menu plans. My inside freezer (part of a fridge/freezer) is still pretty full; my outside one about 1/2 full but will defrost that once I've used up a bit more stuff from there.

Denise
    Originally posted by joedenise
    None in mine either.

I cooked pork goulash yesterday and served all the pork and most of the mushrooms and red & green peppers but I have a reasonable amount of sauce left.
    I've put it in a container in the fridge and will probably pimp it up with some meat or tuna to serve with pasta tomorrow or Thursday.
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 18th Apr 17, 4:41 PM
    • 1,516 Posts
    • 8,477 Thanks
    Florence J
    My cupboard is now looking fuller again, but this is only because I had enough space to move things from a mini cupboard above the kettle into the main cupboard, so I still have space. I am still on a mission to use things up.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553 (£90) Wombling free 2017 = £1226.22 Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£2313.43/£3000) Debt to OH paid back £851.75/£1001.75
    July 2017 Credit Card Debt: £4567.40
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 18th Apr 17, 5:12 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 2,248 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    I used some cheese sauce from the freezer last night (I hesitated between 2 plastic pots as one was parsnip and apple soup and both were unlabelled) but i picked the right one! We had it with cauliflower + leaves, some wilting spinach and a bit of pasta. For once i didn't create more leftovers as there was just enough.

Lunch today was leftover pasta from the weekend and leftover veg batons from our picnic yesterday. Hubby's on cooking duty tonight so not sure what I'll get but the freezer is starting to have some space and things no longer fall out when i open it. :-)
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 18th Apr 17, 6:00 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 2,670 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Everyone seems to be doing so well and I love how inventive we can be. OK, not everything turns out quite as expected but it doesn’t seem as if the bins are being over-fed!

Have been following the posts about frozen/dried onions with interest; I haven’t tried either of them but might be tempted to give it a go as they seem to be a useful stand-by in place of fresh.

On the couscous front, I always buy plain and add my own flavourings and extras, often using up bits of LOs.

The leg of lamb bought as our treat to ourselves for Easter is so tasty. We had hot roast on Sunday and cold slices for yesterday’s dinner. This morning I sliced up the rest and now have two containers + gravy in the freezer, some for a curry later in the week and the last few bits will make four pasties - 7 meals for two, so a seemingly expensive purchase has turned out to be good value.

The YS cavalo nero that had a use-by date of Apr 14 but wasn’t eaten until Apr 16 was fine. The YS plums were those “ripen at home” ones that are rock-hard when you buy them and seem to take ages to ripen, but I’ve been checking them daily and today they were ready to eat, so we had two each this lunchtime and will have the others tomorrow.

This morning’s breakfast was a “use up” meal: two rashers of bacon each, the last few mushrooms, half an opened can of baked beans and a piece of eggy bread. The bacon had a use-by date of today so I froze the rest of it as it doesn’t feature anywhere else on this week’s meal plan.

I’ve just signed up for the May Grocery Challenge and am working on a budget of £160 for 4 weeks. I’m confident this is achievable for us and even hoping I can shave a bit off that too by continuing in the spirit of LFHW.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

July GC: £160 - £152.02 = £7.98 NSDs 15/28
    June GC: £200 - £203.13 = £3.13 NSDs 26/35
    May GC: £160
    - £149.63 = £10.37 NSDs 20/28
    • Floss
    • By Floss 18th Apr 17, 6:12 PM
    • 3,659 Posts
    • 28,266 Thanks
    Floss
    On my allotment last year, I had a few onions that were starting to bolt so pulled them, cut out the stem and threw them into the food processor, then into freezer bags. They have been really handy. I also froze some of the cherry tomato glut, which have since been roasted from frozen and made into scrummy tomato sauce.

We had breast of lamb last Sunday, which I unrolled & slow roast on a "trivet" of h/g leeks. The leftovers have been finely sliced and half were fast-fried in a pan tonight, and stuffed into a couple of pittas with hummus & leaves. I will have the other bits tomorrow.
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 18th Apr 17, 6:21 PM
    • 4,546 Posts
    • 33,529 Thanks
    joedenise
    On my allotment last year, I had a few onions that were starting to bolt so pulled them, cut out the stem and threw them into the food processor, then into freezer bags. They have been really handy. I also froze some of the cherry tomato glut, which have since been roasted from frozen and made into scrummy tomato sauce.

We had breast of lamb last Sunday, which I unrolled & slow roast on a "trivet" of h/g leeks. The leftovers have been finely sliced and half were fast-fried in a pan tonight, and stuffed into a couple of pittas with hummus & leaves. I will have the other bits tomorrow.
    Originally posted by Floss
    Many thanks.

That's a useful tip for onions. Will have to do that as sometimes I have a problem with bolting onions.

The breast of lamb on trivet of leeks sounds great. Have got some leeks which need using up in the next week or so so may have to find something in the freezer which I can do something similar (I know I haven't got any breast of lamb) - think I've got a bit of belly pork which I think may work well.

Denise
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 18th Apr 17, 6:34 PM
    • 25,482 Posts
    • 102,964 Thanks
    candygirl
    Was just sorting my food waste bin out, so had my head in the fridge, n heard our JACKIE'S dulcet tones calling me, so saved the half of sad looking lettuce, n a few mushrooms
    In other news, I got paid today, so went to ALDI n got tons of stuff, including all the 19p veg! Bargainous
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 18th Apr 17, 6:48 PM
    • 4,546 Posts
    • 33,529 Thanks
    joedenise
    Candygirl - I do a braised lettuce with the sad looking lettuce! Cook it in a little water or stock with a bit of spring onion (or ordinary onion) and when it's nearly cooked throw in some frozen peas. It's lovely as a veg with any dinner which doesn't include chips (I hate soggy chips, LOL!)

Denise
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 19th Apr 17, 8:51 AM
    • 4,642 Posts
    • 66,799 Thanks
    VJsmum
    I make mine in about 5 minutes ... and it costs about 40p for a basic one and up to 60p if I'm pushing the boat out
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    I can make it cheaper but i used a jar of sauce and had to buy mince and pasta
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 19th Apr 17, 12:17 PM
    • 14,929 Posts
    • 120,961 Thanks
    JackieO
    Gosh Candygirl my dulcet tones eh more like me bellowing DON'T bin It USE it up and well done joedenise for coming up with a use for a sad lettuce sounds excellent bit like 'wilting' spinach in a way.
    I have a brilliant lettuce keeper that both my DDs lust after, but will have to fight over when I shuffle off this earth
    I bought it a good few years ago now from bettaware, and an iceberg lettuce can last up until its eaten (which in my house is at least a couple of weeks) If I buy the little gem lettuces I wrap them tightly individually in foil and they keep pretty well in that.

YorksLass I am so pleased that the thread is still chugging along, and at how inventive folk have been in helping to eat up what they have before buying more .

On Friday I am away for a week in Manchester, and at the moment all I have in my fridge is the tail end of a cucumber 6 eggs and a block of cheddar which I haven't even opened yet(long dated so I will leave it until I come home) a small unopened block of Halloumi cheese, and a tub of plain natural greek yogurt, and a small packet of roquefort also unopened.

In the fruit bowl I have 4 oranges and 6 apples. The apples I shall dice a couple to have with the yogurt tonight and tomorrow night. The remaining fruit if not eaten will travel with me on my long drive north on Friday.

Tonights dinner will be from the freezer, probably a pork chop and some frozen mash and vegetables. Tomorrow night I shall be at my DDs for dinner, so no cooking for me .But nothing has been wasted and every thing that could be eaten or frozen has been

I shall do a small shop when I come home as I will need fresh stuff but it will only be my second shop of the month I am really pleased that my food mountain is slowly going down I do have a few onions hnging up in a pair of old tights in the cupboard under the stairs and they are keeping well. Also I have a good few potatoes but they are also stored in a cool dark spot so they won't sprout.

When I am away I will be keeping an eye open for farm shops before we come home as last year when I was up inleek in Staffordshire I brought home some amazing ham from a lady in the market square and as I bought it the day my friend and I drove home (we had been eating some during the week )I managed to freeze some of it and was eating it for a good while afterwards, best ham I have ever tasted and nothing like the plastic stuff from the supermarket.

Both my friend and I are keen cooks and we are always on the look out for a decent fresh farm shop when we are on holiday or a good market, we have found they seem to be more prevelent in the north of England than down in the south. Although Kent cherries take some beating along with the strawberries
    Right ,must get a wriggle on as I need my car to be MOT'd this afternoon and it is having a service as well

Onwards and upwards fellow frugallers

JackieO xx
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 19th Apr 17, 6:08 PM
    • 3,659 Posts
    • 28,266 Thanks
    Floss
    Jackie what time are you off? We're off to the big smoke to help move DS2 & DDiL into their new home, so will be heading down to the M25 from here around 4pm-ish. Will wave as we pass South Manc/ North Cheshire!
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 19th Apr 17, 6:19 PM
    • 25,482 Posts
    • 102,964 Thanks
    candygirl
    JACKIEO i'll also wave to you from Preston Also you will prob find tons of Asian supermarkets around Manchester, if you need anything
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • Skintmama
    • By Skintmama 19th Apr 17, 6:23 PM
    • 450 Posts
    • 1,403 Thanks
    Skintmama
    Tonight we are having our leftovers from last night, roast chicken, mash and a gratin of leeks. This is our favourite way of using them up from the garden.

Easter Sunday we were out later than planned, so I made a four can hash (potatoes, baked beans, corned beef and tinned tomatoes). It was hearty, hot and fast, leaving enough for a Monday lunch in between gardening efforts. We don't generally do such meals but it was a good reminder that it is worth having a few useful tins to hand.

Today I used a collection of broccoli stalks to make a cream of broccoli soup. I am interested in the grating for salads idea. Do you take the outer thick skin off first, or just grate the lot? I use the whole stem for soup as we are currently addicted to broccoli salad and generate a lot of stalks! I regularly make cauliflower rice and tabbouleh too. Thanks to this thread I will now be shredding the leaves for stirfries.

I like the polenta porridge idea as that is another way of using it up. Last week I tried tossing sweet potato chips into polenta before baking and that worked very well too.

It is so much easier to use things and not waste food when there is space in the fridge. I am really enjoying this and think that I will never go back to stuffing the fridge, freezer and cupboards again. It is actually really daunting being faced with a mountain of food that needs using up quickly. I am sure this is one reason why people end up throwing it all in the bin. I much prefer being able to easily stay on top of it as I am now.
    GC March £100/£100 GC April £140.47/£150
    GC May £150.16/£150 GC June £187.40/£200
    GC July £164.02/£200
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,750Posts Today

8,849Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin