Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bigdreams
    • By Bigdreams 27th Feb 17, 4:22 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 58Thanks
    Bigdreams
    Bigdreams journey
    • 27th Feb 17, 4:22 PM
    Bigdreams journey 27th Feb 17 at 4:22 PM
    Hi

I'm big dreams and I'm wanting any advice people are willing to give me to be able to achieve my dreams

I currently live in a 3 bed house with 3 children and dh. Our mortgage is 79,300 over 22 years. I'm wanting to reduce this as much as possible. I know if I can overpay by just 50 per month I can knock 3 years off the term alone.

We do have some debt which I'm wanting to also try and clear at the same time and are also in need of some house upgrades.

Here goes

Credit cards all on 0% 4856.52
    Loan 3 years left to pay 6600
    Furniture - 1250 not sure interest will have to check.
    Catalogue 109

We have 1 gas guzzler car (loan) and 1 small paid for car the plan is to sell the gas guzzler and replace with a more economical car and keep the small paid for one. Which is so cheap runaround and reliable. We plan to sell gas guzzler and money.from that will pay for.new one hence keeping only a 3 year loan rather than taking out a new 5 year one.

We have small saving which need building up this stands at 1250and would like 5k.

We also need a new kitchen and bathroom needs tidying up.

I'm achieving all this slowly with help from surveys eBay etc overtime

Wow seems like a mountain when I write it all down but wanted this to push me on and keep me on the right road. The diaries on here are so inspiring.

Thank you all in advance for simply reading

Bigdreams xxxx

We do plan to move to a larger house but obviously once we are in a much better position
    Last edited by Bigdreams; 27-02-2017 at 4:27 PM.
Page 2
    • Bigdreams
    • By Bigdreams 23rd Apr 17, 9:57 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    Bigdreams
    Hi just a quick update for me.

Things not brilliant in the money saving department school holidays wipe me out reminding me I definitely need to be more organised next time around. Hopefully weather will be better though too more picnics and parks.

I've had a few expensive things crop up on top so dealing with them

I plan to sit down tonight find out where I am to the penny and what can be improved. I like quiet time to do this though OH just interrupts constantly.

My 50p Jar going well. 13.50 in there already for DS1 birthday present. Money I now do not need to find. Definitely feeling more organised in the sense.

Not so much looking forward to updating my figures come 1st may but we will see.

Speak soon xx
    • CathT
    • By CathT 23rd Apr 17, 12:16 PM
    • 5,135 Posts
    • 35,002 Thanks
    CathT
    You're making a great start bigdreams! School holidays can be expensive, you'll be back on track soon.
    June 2010 121,287
    May 2017 - part 1 - 81,782
    -part 2 - 46,814
    Total - 128,596
    • Bigdreams
    • By Bigdreams 25th Apr 17, 5:03 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    Bigdreams
    Needing some inspiration on how to boost my income. Would love to do something from home but it's the the usual WHAT? Lol.

I do a couple of survey sites but seeing about a fiver a month. I like the fiver ha but would like to see more.

I sell on selling sites too which brings a little in ?

I only work 15-20 hours a week would love to do more but have to work round the kids.

Need a boost but then again I suppose we always want more it's about making them pounds work for us.

Xx
    • Bigdreams
    • By Bigdreams 2nd May 17, 2:43 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    Bigdreams
    Start of the month figures update.

Debts I've managed to bring down by 142.87 this month.

Savings have took a hit 441.04 so still along way to go to my 5k.

I'm consoling myself that we have had a lot of expense this month and it as all been paid for and no extra debts taken on.

50p jar is going really well and I don't miss the 50ps I put in. Still doing my surveys and using cashback sites.

Feeling positive altho skint. These banks hols are affecting money but 1 more to get outta the way. We have 1 more expense in a fortnight and then things should start looking up money wise too.

Still reading lots on here and feeling the inspiration. Also keep looking at !!!!!! houses online and know I can only get there with pushing.

Thanks
    • Bigdreams
    • By Bigdreams 8th May 17, 2:47 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    Bigdreams
    Finally exchanged.

Feeling excited xx
    • Bigdreams
    • By Bigdreams 12th May 17, 6:46 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    Bigdreams
    Been working out my daily interest today now all paperwork is through.

5.95 a day in interest. I don't know how quick these numbers go down but I'd like to see it down to 5.50. So that's another challenge for me.

Once this month outta way we should be back on track money saving. Surveys are going well and managed to sell a few bits.

We have had some larger than usual outgoings but I'm feeling really positive all this as been paid for outta savings and not on cc. The cc are never ever to be used again unless we have a massive emergency but I am working on savings so even that doesn't have to be the case.

Loving the challenges and feeling ever so positive. Even though money is a little down onwards and upwards.

Loving reading all the inspirational diaries here.
    • Bigdreams
    • By Bigdreams 16th May 17, 10:22 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    Bigdreams
    Morning all.

OK so I have my plan of action. My monthly mortgage is 399.

I plan to pay 500 per month. I will be putting 125 away each week. I want to do this from the off. We plan to move in 5 years to a bigger property hence bigger payments so I want to be use to the 500 pound a month straight away.

Best of both worlds then overpaying and it won't sting us later.

Everything else surveys. Money made will all go off debt.

Money left over at the end of each week will be going in my savings pot. I'm aiming for 5k. But once I've reached up to 2k... I'll look at putting monies leftover half and half surveys and debt.

Will be keeping an eye on my daily interest and balance vigorously.

How good does it feel to have plans in place and I know full well these are achievable.

Will be back to update figures 1st of month. We also have a slightly larger mortgage payment this month with been 1st one.

Thanks
    • NSC-68
    • By NSC-68 16th May 17, 6:15 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    NSC-68
    It's great you have a plan on how to tackle the mortgage and other debts. I wish we had started overpaying from the beginning. Our mortgage was 70,000 for 25 years in 2012. I've been overpaying 500 per month for 2.5 years now. I like the idea of a 2 jar and using it towards something. I need to look at my finances as you have done. I've enjoyed reading your blog, keep up the good work. I'm quickly learning every penny can count.
    • NSC-68
    • By NSC-68 16th May 17, 6:17 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    NSC-68
    P.S congratulations on finally completing on the mortgage!

I was told not to apply for a credit card a few months before the mortgage was complete. A month after I was turned down for a 12 per month phone credit presumably because I'd just taken out a mortgage. That was 5 years ago, it may be different now.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th May 17, 11:15 AM
    • 27,212 Posts
    • 146,242 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Congratulations on exchanging, big dreams!

I really understand that urge to keep pushing. You're doing surveys, swagbucks (I didn't stay long with swagbucks, as I don't use my mobile for online stuff, oops), how is the selling going on ebay etc?

Trying to think of other stuff you can do around schoolchildren. Mystery shopping? It can be exhausting, so you have to pace it. Free offers from bingo etc? You have to be confident of how it works to do that, don't know if they're still around though, sorry. Checking out the dfw board, and what extras people do helps. Can you do overtime where you work? Thats often the best solution. Could you rent out a room on airbnb now that you've got your place?

The other things are to comb through your grocery bill like anything, and keep a spending diary for as many weeks as you can bear (a month is ideal) - it really tells you what you're *actually* spending money on.

HTH.
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of 25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.Save
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,572Posts Today

7,524Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin