Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TalesfromtheAvenue
    • By TalesfromtheAvenue 27th Feb 17, 1:51 PM
    • 41Posts
    • 153Thanks
    TalesfromtheAvenue
    Tales from the Avenue
    • 27th Feb 17, 1:51 PM
    Tales from the Avenue 27th Feb 17 at 1:51 PM
    I'm no newbie to these parts, having had a previous username (or two) and several debt free diaries, but, that was a completely different life back then, so very far detached from what my life is now, so here is my brand-spanking new diary and the shiny new Me.

I'm a proud single mum of a much adored little boy. I'm lucky enough to have a wonderful partner of around a year too. We don't live together, but he and I are only a few minutes walk from each other which is lovely.
    I recently moved house, downsized my mortgage and went PT at work, to be around for my son more. The drop in wages is not great, but life is a lot less stressful.

After being in debt for most of my adult life, I'm now debt free (apart from the mortage), but I am still living from payday to payday and it really wouldn't take much to send me back into debt. I try to save, but it's not easy being the only breadwinner on a PT wage now and I really need to buck my ideas up.

Hopefully this diary will help me to stay on the straight and narrow and stay debt free, build a reasonable emergency fund up and stay out of debt whilst still enjoying life and savings for some fun times too rather than worrying about how to pay for everything.

That's the plan anyway...

TFTA
    Last edited by TalesfromtheAvenue; 06-03-2017 at 1:54 PM.
Page 3
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 11th Mar 17, 3:13 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 985 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Sounds like all going well, great savings on your purchases - sometimes it pays to shop around or wait for a bit.

Good news on the holiday pot, well done.

H x
    Debt: Overdraft 2 £1200/650.00
    Overdraft 1 £2200 Credit card £2200 Computer £646.52 - PAID!!
    Emergency fund: £0 Holiday spends: £0
    • TalesfromtheAvenue
    • By TalesfromtheAvenue 11th Mar 17, 4:09 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    TalesfromtheAvenue
    Thanks HM.

Yesterday I had to stock up on groceries and unfortunately it was a big shop as I was low on most things. I went to Aldi to keep costs down, but it still came in at around £45, so the grocery budget is pretty mch depleted now. I'll have to top it up a bit from other funds in YNAB and switch some money around. Annoyed at myself as I was doing so well. It was a bit extra than normal as I bought a fair bit of meat - we were asked to go out for food tomorrow, but I offered to cook a roast instead as would be cheaper and DS would enjoy more.

Apart from that, it's a low spend weekend. I had to post ebay parcels this moring, but they were only £5 something, so a lot less than I thought they would be.
    I also popped ina bought a few bits in Sainsburys that I coudn't get in Aldi, that was another £5 odd.
    OH paid me back £5 for things I picked up for him.

I sorted the rest of DS's clothes this morning. Nothing really worth putting on ebay, but another pile off to the charity shop on Monday and tidier drawers.

Feeling extremely tired today and a bit achey and shivery. Just want to snuggle and go to bed early really, but already arranged to cook dinner for OH and his son tonight. Nevermind, sure we'll have fun.

Hope everyone's having a good weekend x
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 11th Mar 17, 10:11 PM
    • 10,102 Posts
    • 64,608 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Hope you feel better soon.
    £378 Debt free by 31/03/17 or bust
    Roadkill 17 £51.30 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1410.90 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    PAYDBX 7 #£397/£760 to go!!
    NST March1 4/15
    • TalesfromtheAvenue
    • By TalesfromtheAvenue 12th Mar 17, 12:03 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    TalesfromtheAvenue
    Thanks Bob.

Feeling even worse today unfortunately, not much sleep again and an early wake up from DS who is super tired himself and not sleeping well, so we had a few battles over mealtimes and behaviour yesterday. ☹️ It's been a tough 24 hours.

Have sacked the idea of cooking lunch today and we're going out to a cheap local carvery instead. I can't do entertaining people today.

DS is out with his Dad for a bit, should be back soon. I took advantage of some free time to list another 3 things on gumtree, hopefully they'll sell and bring me in £90.

I've sorted a few more bits for the charity shop too, I'm planning on dropping those off tomorrow.
    Will see what else I can turn out to sell too, I really need to sort my wardrobes next.

Happy Sunday all x
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 12th Mar 17, 11:52 PM
    • 10,102 Posts
    • 64,608 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Oh dear, really hope tommorow is better.
    NST March1 4/15
    • TalesfromtheAvenue
    • By TalesfromtheAvenue 15th Mar 17, 9:54 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    TalesfromtheAvenue
    Thanks Bob.

It's been quite a tiring week so far. I had the day off on Monday as the plumber was coming out to fit the bath. To cut a long story short, it's costing me more than first quoted and involves me doing a lot more work myself than I would have hoped, so I'm not too happy. Also means I'm going to have to try and save money to get the shower done later in the year.
    I've been tiling nightly at the moment, so I'm shattered presently and have had to spend money on materials which I could've done with saving at the moment.

Money is dire. I'm still up to date with YNAB, but it's just telling me how much money I don't have! I've had to transfer £50 back over from the holiday savings, just to cover food and DIY things, so I need to save another £20 back into that account when I can.

I've continued the ebay and gumtree purge, but not made much money really. Someone picked up a £20 item last night, but will save that for DS's dinner money over the next two weeks (+ an extra £2).

I dropped 4 bags off to the charity shop on Monday, so that has cleared a bit of space.

<<<<< this kind of sums it all up, basically.
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 15th Mar 17, 10:39 PM
    • 10,102 Posts
    • 64,608 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Oh boo to all that. It's not great having to spend your savings but at least you have them to use
    NST March1 4/15
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 16th Mar 17, 5:28 AM
    • 4,300 Posts
    • 12,927 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    You must be shattered, but it'll be nice when it's done.

As Bob says, it's good to have the savings to fall back on x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: £8300.00 Overdraft: £2750.00

20p Savers 2017 £2 Savers 2017 50p Savers 2017 SPC 10 2017 #003
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,400Posts Today

7,836Users online

Martin's Twitter