Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • vigman
    • By vigman 27th Feb 17, 10:24 AM
    • 1,171Posts
    • 278Thanks
    vigman
    Payment lost between Post Office and Barclays
    • 27th Feb 17, 10:24 AM
    Payment lost between Post Office and Barclays 27th Feb 17 at 10:24 AM
    Hi

This is an odd one. I paid in a crossed postal order made out in my name for £130 at my local PO in a Barclays envelope with a paying in slip.

So far it has not shown up in my account (unlike other cheque deposits I made that day in another envelope).

If this was lost between the Post Office and Barclays, who would be liable?

Rather than a personal cheque that could be re-issued, could PO systems tell that this postal order had not been cashed.

Typical is that this is when I have sold something on behalf of a charity!

TIA

Vigman
    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
Page 1
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 27th Feb 17, 10:31 AM
    • 1,972 Posts
    • 1,274 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 27th Feb 17, 10:31 AM
    • 27th Feb 17, 10:31 AM
    Not paid in at the PO for Barclays but my bank says allow 4/5 days.

When did you pay it in ?
    • vigman
    • By vigman 27th Feb 17, 10:41 AM
    • 1,171 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    vigman
    • 27th Feb 17, 10:41 AM
    • 27th Feb 17, 10:41 AM
    Not paid in at the PO for Barclays but my bank says allow 4/5 days.

When did you pay it in ?
    Originally posted by Robin9
    It was 4 working days ago, but one lot of cheques paid that same day at the same PO went through in 2 days.

Even if it all goes through I am interested in what would happen if the payment was lost between the post office and Barclays

TIA

Vigman
    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
    • alanq
    • By alanq 27th Feb 17, 10:55 AM
    • 3,894 Posts
    • 2,507 Thanks
    alanq
    • 27th Feb 17, 10:55 AM
    • 27th Feb 17, 10:55 AM
    Rather than a personal cheque that could be re-issued, could PO systems tell that this postal order had not been cashed.
    Originally posted by vigman
    It would be up to the person who bought the PO to report that it had be lost / stolen - assuming that they kept the receipt.
    http://www.postoffice.co.uk/postal-orders-faqs
    • vigman
    • By vigman 27th Feb 17, 11:06 AM
    • 1,171 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    vigman
    • 27th Feb 17, 11:06 AM
    • 27th Feb 17, 11:06 AM
    It would be up to the person who bought the PO to report that it had be lost / stolen - assuming that they kept the receipt.
    http://www.postoffice.co.uk/postal-orders-faqs
    Originally posted by alanq
    Wouldn't that only apply if the postal order was lost between the buyer who sent it and the receiver?

Vigman
    • SuperAllyB
    • By SuperAllyB 27th Feb 17, 11:50 AM
    • 578 Posts
    • 444 Thanks
    SuperAllyB
    • 27th Feb 17, 11:50 AM
    • 27th Feb 17, 11:50 AM
    I never got the length of establishing liability but I had a £25 premium bond cheque go missing between the PO and Santander once. It was credited about 6 weeks later so goodness knows where it had been.
    • vigman
    • By vigman 27th Feb 17, 12:35 PM
    • 1,171 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    vigman
    • 27th Feb 17, 12:35 PM
    • 27th Feb 17, 12:35 PM
    This is all theoretical now as the payment has gone through (but would be interesting to know who would be liable for the loss)

interestingly the payments that were bank cheques went through as Post Office Remittance. The postal order paid in via the post office to Barclays shows as 'postal remittance'. Maybe there is an extra layer of clearing for crossed postal orders?

Vigman
    • Craigw
    • By Craigw 5th Dec 17, 4:16 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Craigw
    • 5th Dec 17, 4:16 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 4:16 PM
    Sorry to bring this post back up but a similar situation has happened to me.
    I took an envelope on the 24/11/2017 supplied by Barclays bank to the post office with cheques, paying in slip plus bank account, sort code, phone number on the front and got a receipt.
    On the 4/12/2017 nothing in my account so phoned the bank who wanted the cheque numbers to start a claim which very few of us would ever write down, they suggested i speak the post office which seems impossible over the phone for this type of problem so went to the branch.
    They took my details but basically said they would put them in a large bag for collection which would then go to the sorting office and seemed disinterested what happened after that.
    Where to go from here short of getting all the cheques cancelled and getting new ones if possible with no charges if my customers are willing to do so.
    Thanks in advance for any help as there doesn't seem to bemuch information about this and who is responsible?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,215Posts Today

5,875Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• Follow Martin