Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shala_moo
    • By shala_moo 26th Feb 17, 5:02 PM
    • 3,242Posts
    • 27,179Thanks
    shala_moo
    Get in the swing for Spring - Slimming World support thread 2017
    • 26th Feb 17, 5:02 PM
    Get in the swing for Spring - Slimming World support thread 2017 26th Feb 17 at 5:02 PM
    Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you………go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list – so that’s pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice and one Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables

We have a Facebook group open to anyone joining us on this thread; to join please mention it in your post or drop Lushlifesaver a PM and an existing member can send you an invite.
    Last edited by shala_moo; 26-02-2017 at 5:29 PM.
    Mortgage = £166,050£118,172.76
    Mortgage Offset % = 32.56%
    Mortgage Neutral Date = Dec 2036 Mar 2026
Page 73
    • maman
    • By maman 19th Apr 17, 1:04 PM
    • 16,969 Posts
    • 101,500 Thanks
    maman
    Back from my Easter break. I haven't really read back but I did notice shiprob had a good loss! and to anyone else who's done well over the holiday.

My weekend wasn't totally off plan. Hotel breakfasts (fruit, toast, egg, beans ,bacon, mushrooms) were fine although bread may have been just brown and there's always some oil. I had a couple of JP lunches and some steak and salad but I had lots of off plan stuff too including very many wine syns.

When we got back last night, it was a relief to have SW friendly Bolognese from the freezer. Today I'm getting stuff together from the freezer/cupboards as I don't want to do a shop yet. It's a bit low on syns but it's a good start to getting back on plan.

Today's EE plan:
    B: NAS grapefruit, HEB porage with HEA milk
    L: lentil and veg soup
    D: baked haddock, mash, onions, carrots, peas, celery
    Syns: squirt of syrup
    • Top Girl
    • By Top Girl 19th Apr 17, 1:52 PM
    • 1,094 Posts
    • 7,673 Thanks
    Top Girl
    Afternoon

Busy busy today.

A hotch potch of food so far:

Overnight oats, an apple, a mugshot, some leftover cottage pie (2 + 1/4 HEXA), some potato/leek/bacon soup, some carrot sticks, beef space raiders (3). Strawberries in the fridge if I'm hungry later, here til 4.

Tea is chicken supreme with cauli rice and SW chips.

Why is it I'm always STARVING when I get back on plan? I'd never eat that volume when I'm off...
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 19th Apr 17, 2:25 PM
    • 1,722 Posts
    • 8,535 Thanks
    kathrynha
    My weekend wasn't totally off plan. Hotel breakfasts (fruit, toast, egg, beans ,bacon, mushrooms) were fine although bread may have been just brown and there's always some oil. I had a couple of JP lunches and some steak and salad but I had lots of off plan stuff too including very many wine syns.
    Originally posted by maman

That's impressive food optimising where it was possible. Given the option of hotel food I would not have been able to be so refined

Why is it I'm always STARVING when I get back on plan? I'd never eat that volume when I'm off...
    Originally posted by Top Girl
    Doesn't matter if you eat loads, as long as it is free and speed food.
    I think sometimes when we have eaten badly, especially sugar, when you then don't eat it you get cravings, and when you are being good you can just feed those cravings, but with healthy stuff, therefore you tend to eat lots.
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 58 lb
    Last updated: 12th September 2017
    • wizkid1
    • By wizkid1 19th Apr 17, 8:16 PM
    • 1,833 Posts
    • 15,065 Thanks
    wizkid1
    Hiya everybody had a very bad day again. All meals today ended up off plan.

So I will try again, Thursday's menu...

Breakfast.. overnight oats B

Lunch..veg soup Ryvita / butter 6 syns jelly 0.5 syns pear.

Dinner. Double egg and s/w chips.tomatoes beetroot.

Extra. F f yoghurt. Pkt crisps 5 syns
    11.5 syns
    • Saver-upper
    • By Saver-upper 19th Apr 17, 10:33 PM
    • 1,647 Posts
    • 12,567 Thanks
    Saver-upper
    While I write up my post for today,can someone tell me how many syns are in Tesco pure sunflower oil .It is in a pump bottle,which says it is 2 cal/spray.Thank you
    Roadkill Rebel #14,2016:£35.50 £12,000in2016 #82=£3163
    SPC #155 x 7.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00 SPC10=£872.76
    Pinecone £292,Valued Opinions £10.50

• Saver-upper
    • By Saver-upper 20th Apr 17, 12:00 AM
    • 1,647 Posts
    • 12,567 Thanks
    Saver-upper
    Thank you lois lane and joedenise,I will try both those suggestions.I think it is worth continuing to tinker with.

I have had an awful day today.How I haven't fallen off the SW wagon ,and not gone for the 2 easter eggs I hid from myself the other day,I do not know.

My menu for today:
    Breakfast: 2 poached eggs,2 tomatoes,1 slice wholemeal toast with no marg

Lunch: salad: ham,hard boiled egg,red pepper,carrot,tomatoes,mange tout

Tea: chicken,sweet potato wedges,peas,mini sweetcorn,mange tout,splash of gravy (syns)

Skimmed milk has been my HEA.
    Last edited by Saver-upper; 20-04-2017 at 1:28 AM.

• kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 20th Apr 17, 8:08 AM
    • 1,722 Posts
    • 8,535 Thanks
    kathrynha
    While I write up my post for today,can someone tell me how many syns are in Tesco pure sunflower oil .It is in a pump bottle,which says it is 2 cal/spray.Thank you
    Originally posted by Saver-upper
    According to the app 5 sprays are half a syn.
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 20th Apr 17, 8:13 AM
    • 1,722 Posts
    • 8,535 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Had a good day yesterday. Resisted lots of bad stuff, and had plenty of speed foods.

Today's plan:
    Breakfast - overnight oats
    Lunch - stilton salad
    Dinner - Chicken stir fry
    Snacks - Fruit and Skips

HA - milk and cheese
    HB - oats
    Syns - salad dressing (0.5), skips (4.5)
    • Top Girl
    • By Top Girl 20th Apr 17, 8:56 AM
    • 1,094 Posts
    • 7,673 Thanks
    Top Girl
    Good morning slimmers

Another on plan day planned for today (although I did have a sneaky cider, then a vodka last night, so 13 syns but still well within for the week).

B - Strawberries and a banana (wasn't hungry so picking at them at work)

D - Chicken, ham, new potato and boiled egg salad, carrot sticks. I have some potato, leek and bacon soup too.

T - Bacon and mushroom carbonara

HEXA - Parmesan in tea (is it 30g?)

HEXB - Ryvita minis or alpen lights

Does anyone know what the low syn options at TGI Fridays are please? Going on Saturday night for my goddaughter's 18th. I know I can have steak and salad at a push, but am not fancying that right now...
    • WJN222
    • By WJN222 20th Apr 17, 9:25 AM
    • 185 Posts
    • 1,528 Thanks
    WJN222
    morning all,

yesterday was OK - I wont say good but OK!
    Todays menu and determination to stick to it!
    B: blackberries and FF yogurt
    L: rocket, tomato, onion and turkey salad
    D: SW curry
    Snacks: carrot sticks, celery sticks
    Syns, 3 for mini curly wurly.

chin up all!
    walk 2017 miles in 2017 - 415 of 2017
    SW journey - loose 28lbs - 14lb of 28
    Clear the stash July OUT : IN = 17:2
    • candyapple
    • By candyapple 20th Apr 17, 10:02 AM
    • 589 Posts
    • 4,108 Thanks
    candyapple
    Hi everyone

Checking in with a 1lb gain bah! That Easter bunny has a lot to answer for

Straight back on it though, normally have an off plan day when I weigh myself but I feel more positive this week so instead of stuffing my face, I ate properly and did a weights workout think I have found my motivation at last

As well as following SW I'm also giving tracking my calories a go using myfitnesspal and I have to say it's working really well for me. I feel like lately I'm needing the extra discipline of restricting calories so I don't go overboard and binge. So we'll see how that goes .. day 3 so far!

Hope you all have a good day
    x

• kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 20th Apr 17, 10:12 AM
    • 1,722 Posts
    • 8,535 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Hi everyone

Checking in with a 1lb gain bah! That Easter bunny has a lot to answer for

Straight back on it though, normally have an off plan day when I weigh myself but I feel more positive this week so instead of stuffing my face, I ate properly and did a weights workout think I have found my motivation at last

As well as following SW I'm also giving tracking my calories a go using myfitnesspal and I have to say it's working really well for me. I feel like lately I'm needing the extra discipline of restricting calories so I don't go overboard and binge. So we'll see how that goes .. day 3 so far!

Hope you all have a good day
    x
    Originally posted by candyapple
    Well done for getting straight back on it, and finding your motivation. People think that cute, sweet and innocent looking Easter bunny is lovely, but he is really evil

I've used myfitnesspal in the past and it does work, I just don't find it as easy for every day eating as Slimming World. Definitely think it is worth doing though, if you are struggling to lose, or if your portion sizes are creeping up.
    I used it the other week, when I was coming to terms with my restrictive diet, as I was eating syned stuff as replacements for free stuff, just to try and keep some control over what I was eating.
    It's a free tool, so definitely worth using if it helps you.
    • greentiger
    • By greentiger 20th Apr 17, 11:30 AM
    • 2,002 Posts
    • 14,445 Thanks
    greentiger
    Good effort, WJN, kathrynha and shiprob (fantastic).

Just had a thought – when we lose a small amount eg ½ lb or 1lb we say it’s JUST such and such, but if we gain that amount we consider it a monumental tragedy! We, well I do, need to retrain the brain to accept ½ lb weighs the same whether it’s on or off and it’s not terrible either way.

I was a mushroom-loather until my mid 30s (not yesterday, sadly!). I started adding them to Bolognese sauce, then fried them with onions for steaks. I use them fairly often now. I still don’t like them ‘poached’ and don’t even go to mushroom soup – ugh!

Hello, Missli. Yes, SW definitely works. I was an online member for about a year but I didn’t get much out of that. That’s not everyone’s experience though. I gave up after I found the lovely people on this thread. The classes are a much better option and keep you more accountable.

lush, I feel for you.

I have managed to stay on plan (apart from DGS’s birthday on Monday). I need to keep it going.
    Stashbusting 165/200
    17 in 17 Challenge 16/17
    Reading Challenge 23/40
    Film Challenge 36/52
    • Saver-upper
    • By Saver-upper 20th Apr 17, 12:33 PM
    • 1,647 Posts
    • 12,567 Thanks
    Saver-upper
    According to the app 5 sprays are half a syn.
    Originally posted by kathrynha
    That is brilliant kathrynha,thank you xx

• lushlifesaver
    • By lushlifesaver 20th Apr 17, 12:47 PM
    • 2,225 Posts
    • 17,950 Thanks
    lushlifesaver
    thanks everyone. managed to scrape a STS this week shala - better than giving up. need to really go for the next challenge though

today I've had:
    breakfast: fruit and fibre ( I know its not technically a heb any more but doesn't seem to affect my weightloss measuring out a 30/35g portion) with milk from hea
    mid morning: an apple
    just now: some seafood sticks with tomatoes, lettuce, carrot and cabbage (grated)
    tonight will be meatballs (5syn) with sauce (3syn) and pasta

can anyone help with the syns in roast chicken flavoured Ko-Lee go noodle pots 65g? I can supply nutritional info if any help?

I have been brave and made myself a doctors appointment to talk to someone about the anxiety. however now I'm anxious about having an appoint for anxiety - I think my issues have issues at the moment and they need confronting :/

going out soon for a walk which should help pep me up for this afternoon.

booked in to get my brows and lashes done on Monday. as a little self care/prep for spending next weekend in London. hopefully that helps build me up a little
    Perfect Princess born 26/03/14 <3
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 20th Apr 17, 12:56 PM
    • 1,722 Posts
    • 8,535 Thanks
    kathrynha
    thanks everyone. managed to scrape a STS this week shala - better than giving up. need to really go for the next challenge though

today I've had:
    breakfast: fruit and fibre ( I know its not technically a heb any more but doesn't seem to affect my weightloss measuring out a 30/35g portion) with milk from hea
    mid morning: an apple
    just now: some seafood sticks with tomatoes, lettuce, carrot and cabbage (grated)
    tonight will be meatballs (5syn) with sauce (3syn) and pasta

can anyone help with the syns in roast chicken flavoured Ko-Lee go noodle pots 65g? I can supply nutritional info if any help?

I have been brave and made myself a doctors appointment to talk to someone about the anxiety. however now I'm anxious about having an appoint for anxiety - I think my issues have issues at the moment and they need confronting :/

going out soon for a walk which should help pep me up for this afternoon.

booked in to get my brows and lashes done on Monday. as a little self care/prep for spending next weekend in London. hopefully that helps build me up a little
    Originally posted by lushlifesaver

Well done for not giving up.

5 syns for the noodle pot.

Well done for making a docs appointment. I think that is the hardest part over with. You will be fine with the appointment. Save yourself some syns for a treat afterwards.

You issues having issues comment made me smile.
    • ali-t
    • By ali-t 20th Apr 17, 1:24 PM
    • 3,732 Posts
    • 6,317 Thanks
    ali-t
    Well I put another 2lb on which I think either makes me the same weight as I was at the start of the challenge or a pound heavier.

I need to stop playing at this and really get into it and my snout out the sweetie packets.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
    • Moonlustie
    • By Moonlustie 20th Apr 17, 2:08 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    Moonlustie
    Afternoon All

Apologies for lack of attendance but my internet has been down since Friday and I'm relying on being able to get online when I'm at work. Tuesday and Wednesday were busy so no chance . Today is quieter. I weighed in at group on Tuesday and put on 2lb which wasn't bad as I wasn't on plan over Easter. I'm finishing up the bad stuff so back to plan as of the weekend.

Soooo I'm meal planning - suggestions please for portable breakfasts (I bring them to work); had porridge and fruit this morning, not filling enough.

Well done to anyone I've missed losing this week and commiserations to those like me have put on. Hopefully, I can be a bit more regular on here now.

Dinner tonight: spag bog (already cooked) looking to add mushrooms, carrots and green beans
    Target: 7lb at the moment - there's a lot to lose!
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 20th Apr 17, 2:23 PM
    • 1,722 Posts
    • 8,535 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Well I put another 2lb on which I think either makes me the same weight as I was at the start of the challenge or a pound heavier.

I need to stop playing at this and really get into it and my snout out the sweetie packets.
    Originally posted by ali-t
    Afternoon All

Apologies for lack of attendance but my internet has been down since Friday and I'm relying on being able to get online when I'm at work. Tuesday and Wednesday were busy so no chance . Today is quieter. I weighed in at group on Tuesday and put on 2lb which wasn't bad as I wasn't on plan over Easter. I'm finishing up the bad stuff so back to plan as of the weekend.
    Originally posted by Moonlustie

That evil Easter bunny has been at it again

Soooo I'm meal planning - suggestions please for portable breakfasts (I bring them to work); had porridge and fruit this morning, not filling enough.
    Originally posted by Moonlustie
    I take breakfasts to work too, and agree they need to be filling to ward off the mid-morning treats.
    Overnight oats are great, and I find they keep me pretty full.
    Slimming world quiche, can do bacon, mushroom and tomato ones to make them breakfasty.
    Also, a weird option, but really nice and filling, I have homemade pot noodles for breakfast. Hot, filling and really tasty
    • Moonlustie
    • By Moonlustie 20th Apr 17, 3:00 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    Moonlustie
    Also, a weird option, but really nice and filling, I have homemade pot noodles for breakfast. Hot, filling and really tasty
    Originally posted by kathrynha
    Mmm, noodles and breakfast stuff, interesting thank you
    Target: 7lb at the moment - there's a lot to lose!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

462Posts Today

4,225Users online

Martin's Twitter