Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shala_moo
    • By shala_moo 26th Feb 17, 5:02 PM
    • 3,236Posts
    • 27,129Thanks
    shala_moo
    Get in the swing for Spring - Slimming World support thread 2017
    • 26th Feb 17, 5:02 PM
    Get in the swing for Spring - Slimming World support thread 2017 26th Feb 17 at 5:02 PM
    Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you………go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list – so that’s pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice and one Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables

We have a Facebook group open to anyone joining us on this thread; to join please mention it in your post or drop Lushlifesaver a PM and an existing member can send you an invite.
    Last edited by shala_moo; 26-02-2017 at 5:29 PM.
    Mortgage = £166,050£124,896.91
    Mortgage Offset % = 26.05%
    Mortgage Neutral Date = Dec 2036 Feb 2027
    SW target - 54lb/31.5lb
Page 72
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 18th Apr 17, 4:24 PM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 6,811 Thanks
    kathrynha
    I've just weighed myself using some new digital scales. My others were useless, and I weigh 142lbs. I need to lose around 17, so I'm definitely going to join.
    I'm not one for big group activities but I think you're right, I'm worth losing a few £s for a few lbs!
    Originally posted by Missli
    I find its definitely worth staying to group. My group are all so lovely and supportive
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 50.5 lb
    Last updated: 1st August 2017
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 18th Apr 17, 4:49 PM
    • 4,585 Posts
    • 33,920 Thanks
    joedenise
    I've just weighed myself using some new digital scales. My others were useless, and I weigh 142lbs. I need to lose around 17, so I'm definitely going to join.
    I'm not one for big group activities but I think you're right, I'm worth losing a few £s for a few lbs!
    Definitely stay to group as you'll get so much more from it. Can get a bit samey at times with the clapping thing but you'll also get loads of ideas for meal ideas, what to choose at different restaurants etc.

17lb isn't a lot to lose but you'll feel far better for it. It's best not to pick a figure initially - you could just have one in mind. You may find when you get there that you actually want to lose a bit more or may decide before you get there that you feel OK and can just call target then. There is no compulsion to pick a target on your first attendance. You'll probably be given an interim target of 10% of your body weight to aim for first.

Have you decided which group you're going to yet and when it is?

Denise
    • shiprob195
    • By shiprob195 18th Apr 17, 5:07 PM
    • 712 Posts
    • 1,000 Thanks
    shiprob195
    Had a few days away in the Lake District, so missed my Monday weigh in. I found a group in Kendal this morning. I was expecting a small gain, as I was off plan for some of the weekends meals. However I stood on the scales to discover I had lost 4.5 lbs

I have now lost 3 1/2 stone in 15 weeks!!
    Slimming world new starter 2/1/17
    Weight loss so far 4 stone 12 lbs

Loss needed to get to target 6.5 lbs
    32 weeks in to my weightloss journey
    • Missli
    • By Missli 18th Apr 17, 5:25 PM
    • 7,058 Posts
    • 16,606 Thanks
    Missli
    Definitely stay to group as you'll get so much more from it. Can get a bit samey at times with the clapping thing but you'll also get loads of ideas for meal ideas, what to choose at different restaurants etc.

Have you decided which group you're going to yet and when it is?

Denise
    Originally posted by joedenise
    I'm a bit worried about the clapping thing. That's probably going to scare me off!

I'm joining my local slimming world club. Are there different types of membership, or other clubs?
    I'm just going to this one as it is near, and convenient. I think it will encourage me to stick to targets if I'm with others.
    • Missli
    • By Missli 18th Apr 17, 5:26 PM
    • 7,058 Posts
    • 16,606 Thanks
    Missli
    Had a few days away in the Lake District, so missed my Monday weigh in. I found a group in Kendal this morning. I was expecting a small gain, as I was off plan for some of the weekends meals. However I stood on the scales to discover I had lost 4.5 lbs

Originally posted by shipr!!!95
    Well done. That's encouraging!
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 18th Apr 17, 5:49 PM
    • 4,585 Posts
    • 33,920 Thanks
    joedenise
    I'm a bit worried about the clapping thing. That's probably going to scare me off!

I'm joining my local slimming world club. Are there different types of membership, or other clubs?
    I'm just going to this one as it is near, and convenient. I think it will encourage me to stick to targets if I'm with others.
    No there aren't different types of clubs. They're all a bit happy clappy but fortunately not every week but most weeks. But it's the talking to different members that gets the talk happening. For example is someone has had a gain during the week and doesn't know why after a bit of chat a reason usually emerges such as they've had a takeaway and it was more syns that it used to be (syns for a lot of takeaways have doubled fairly recently!) or they've not been measuring their HEAs and HEBs - all of which are important.

Our consultant often asks people what their favourite meal has been that week which is where a lot of the information about different meals come from. I'm not sure if all consultants have a folder where members can put meals they've had that week but my consultant does. However this tends only to get used when we have taster meetings - where members bring in foods for others to try which they may not have had before. These are usually on the weeks of national competitions.

Anyway get along to group and give it a go for a few weeks at least.

Denise
    • Missli
    • By Missli 18th Apr 17, 6:10 PM
    • 7,058 Posts
    • 16,606 Thanks
    Missli
    I'm joining this week. Will let you know how I get on!
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 18th Apr 17, 6:11 PM
    • 49,507 Posts
    • 573,586 Thanks
    bubbs

Originally posted by shipr!!!95
    WOW well done
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15

-3 st 4 1/2 lb week 21
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 18th Apr 17, 6:23 PM
    • 49,507 Posts
    • 573,586 Thanks
    bubbs
    Well done. That's encouraging!
    I have also lost 1st 1lb in 3 weeks
    I'm joining this week. Will let you know how I get on!
    I am sure you will do just fine
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15

-3 st 4 1/2 lb week 21
    • Missli
    • By Missli 18th Apr 17, 6:30 PM
    • 7,058 Posts
    • 16,606 Thanks
    Missli
    I have also lost 1st 1lb in 3 weeks
    Originally posted by bubbs
    That's brilliant bubbs. No wonder it's so popular. I'm really looking forward to it now. Got some new summer dresses I need to squeeze into.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 18th Apr 17, 6:53 PM
    • 46,765 Posts
    • 166,837 Thanks
    beanielou
    Happy aniversary DEnise

Lush~~ Go to Dr.
    No one should have to endure this.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 18th Apr 17, 7:15 PM
    • 49,507 Posts
    • 573,586 Thanks
    bubbs
    That's brilliant bubbs. No wonder it's so popular. I'm really looking forward to it now. Got some new summer dresses I need to squeeze into.
    Thankyou, i have not gone hungry at all, but i am also low carbing as diabetic
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15

-3 st 4 1/2 lb week 21
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 18th Apr 17, 7:42 PM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 6,811 Thanks
    kathrynha
    1 lb off tonight. Bit peeved as would of liked to get back below what I was before the other weeks gain but still it's a loss.
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 18th Apr 17, 8:27 PM
    • 49,507 Posts
    • 573,586 Thanks
    bubbs
    1 lb off tonight. Bit peeved as would of liked to get back below what I was before the other weeks gain but still it's a loss.
    Originally posted by kathrynha
    well done a 1lb is a 1lb
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15

-3 st 4 1/2 lb week 21
    • Saver-upper
    • By Saver-upper 18th Apr 17, 11:49 PM
    • 1,562 Posts
    • 11,987 Thanks
    Saver-upper
    Today's menu:

Snack before going out briefly:1 pear

Brunch: 1 sl wholemeal toast (HEB),Flora light (1 syn),Marmite,
    an orange

Tea: ratatouille: corgettes,garlic,orange pepper,onion,tinned tomato,also a couple of squirts of tomato paste,which made it a bit richer-tasting than yesterday's effort.Still wonder if it is missing something .
    Served with SW chips and roast butternut squash (free).

Dessert: meringue (3 syns) with 0percent yoghurt,raspberries,strawberries,and passionfruit.Nonm nom nom

Skimmed milk for HEA used in cups of tea

1/2 hour brisk walking for body magic
    Last edited by Saver-upper; 19-04-2017 at 3:01 AM.
    Roadkill Rebel #14,2016:£35.50 £12,000in2016 #82=£3163
    SPC #155 x 7.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00
    Pinecone £289,Valued Opinions £10.50,Grocery Challenge June 17: £50.68/250

• wizkid1
    • By wizkid1 19th Apr 17, 12:57 AM
    • 1,819 Posts
    • 14,944 Thanks
    wizkid1
    Hi everyone I am a bit late posting my menu for Wednesday but, here it is.

Breakfast.. bacon sandwich B mixed berries

Lunch..jacket potato cheese A and beans , salad. Banana.

Dinner... sausage 4 syns mash, peas haricot beans. Pear.
    Extra.. f f yoghurt. Jelly 0.5 syns. 2 crispbreads / butter 5 syns
    9.5 syns.
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 19th Apr 17, 7:18 AM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 6,811 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Determined to have a really good week this week, with no self sabotaging.

Today's plan:
    Breakfast - miso noodles
    Lunch - lamb salad
    Dinner - Speedy risotto
    Snack - Apple, strawberries, Skips

HA - milk and cheese
    HB - none

Syns - miso (1/2), salad dressing (1/2), Skips (4.5)
    • Lois Lane
    • By Lois Lane 19th Apr 17, 9:14 AM
    • 3,434 Posts
    • 14,265 Thanks
    Lois Lane
    Morning all

Lovely day here today, but so far very quiet.

Sorry to hear about your work colleague harassing you online Lush; it amazes me how nasty people can be when they're cloaked in anonymity, but for someone to do it when they work with you beggars belief. I would definitely go to your GP about the anxiety, it's a recognised condition nowadays and there are things that can be done.

Missli - welcome to the thread. Going to group is ok, we always have a laugh at the group I go to and you can learn a lot from other people. It's nice to have a couple of hours just to have a cuppa and a chat. When you first go it seems like everyone is with friends, but I always pick out someone who's on their own and chat to them until weighing is finished. A good ice breaker is always 'how did you get on this week'.

Shiprob - what a great loss after being away for a few days. And well done Bubbs, 1st 3 in 3 weeks, brilliant progress.

Saver-upper - did you add a stock cube to your ratatouille? That would improve the flavour. I also add chopped aubergine, which doesn't have much flavour but I think it improves the texture. I've got an aubergine in the fridge at the moment, intended for ratatouille, but our (small) Morrison's didn't have any courgettes or peppers yesterday! : I also had BNS on my list to make some soup but they didn't have any of those either.

I seem to have a cupboard full of low syn treats at the moment - I think it's because I haven't been eating them in Spain and suddenly we can have 'banoffee pie' with caramel snackajacks, and 'eton mess' with meringue nests. Trouble is, they're eating into my wine syns bank Morrison's had masses of Crème eggs and Malteaster bunnies reduced to 30p yesterday too - I can't stand Crème eggs but I did buy some bunnies thinking they wouldn't be many syns but was shocked to discover they're 8 syns each. I did wonder if they sell a bigger one, but no, I have the 8 syn ones.

Determined to have a really good week this week, with no self sabotaging.
    Originally posted by kathrynha
    Me too - and we can do it!

Have a good day everyone.

LL
    Start BMI - 38.7 Current BMI - 31.2 Target BMI - 26.3
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 19th Apr 17, 9:27 AM
    • 4,585 Posts
    • 33,920 Thanks
    joedenise
    Saver upper - you could try a splash of red wine vinegar as that often "lifts" a dish. I heard about it on TV from one of the chefs on a cookery show (can't remember which one). Apparently it really lifts a spag bol as well. Haven't tried it yet but will definitely be trying it next time I cook mince (even if it's not a spag bol, LOL).

Today's plan needs to be very low syn as have used nearly all my syns this week but that's OK as it's WI tomorrow morning!

B - scrambled eggs with spinach on toast (HEB)
    L - sweet potato jacket; tuna mayo (1 syn for LTL mayo)' salad
    D - sausages (1 syn); mash; cabbage; peas; syn free onion gravy (have some LO red wine stock in fridge to use up - made with a Tesco red wine stockpot)

HEA - milk
    HEB - bread
    Syns - mayo 1; sausages 1

Denise
    • gingerfurball
    • By gingerfurball 19th Apr 17, 10:59 AM
    • 376 Posts
    • 2,095 Thanks
    gingerfurball
    Morning all - got the grandbabies (Esme 7 and Harrison 4) in at work this morning as I'm grand-parenting as mum and dad are away today...they're good as gold - well I'm slacking slightly and have given them both an ipad lol.

Had a good day yesterday - hoping for the same today...

B: same as yesterday - two eggs, 3 bacon medallions and 3 roasted plum toms
    L: salad with lettuce, grated carrot, tomatoes, pickled onions, beetroot and a chicken supreme mix made up of chopped up chicken, peppers and LTL mayo - 1 syn in total as I used 3 tablespoons for the mix and it made up two portions
    D: going to make a curry - probably the korma out of the curry book, with rice and 1/3 plate green beans
    HEa milk in tea...HEb to be decided - syns...dunno lol!
    Last edited by gingerfurball; 19-04-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,617Posts Today

7,974Users online

Martin's Twitter