Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shala_moo
    • By shala_moo 26th Feb 17, 5:02 PM
    • 3,220Posts
    • 26,992Thanks
    shala_moo
    Get in the swing for Spring - Slimming World support thread 2017
    • 26th Feb 17, 5:02 PM
    Get in the swing for Spring - Slimming World support thread 2017 26th Feb 17 at 5:02 PM
    Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you………go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list – so that’s pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice and one Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables

We have a Facebook group open to anyone joining us on this thread; to join please mention it in your post or drop Lushlifesaver a PM and an existing member can send you an invite.
    Last edited by shala_moo; 26-02-2017 at 5:29 PM.
    Mortgage = £166,050£124,896.91
    Mortgage Offset % = 26.05%
    Mortgage Neutral Date = Dec 2036 Feb 2027
    SW target - 54lb/31.5lb
Page 71
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 18th Apr 17, 7:48 AM
    • 1,249 Posts
    • 5,185 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Some amazing losses. So inspiring. Well done losers

Hugs for the gainers. School holidays can be so hard.

Thanks for the chart Sahal, and well done on SOTW Beanie.

Weigh in for me tonight, and not looking forward to it. Still suffering from the lack of certain food groups in my diet, and also hormones are making me feel rubbish. Need chocolate but not allowed it

Today's plan:
    Breakfast - overnight oats
    Lunch - lamb salad (leftover lamb from Sunday)
    Dinner - miso noodles
    Snacks - grapes, strawberries, Skips, sugar free polos

HA - milk
    HB - oats
    Syns - salad dressing (1/2), miso (1/2), Skips (4.5), polos (4 if I eat the whole packet)

Before anyone warns me about the side effects of too many sugar free seat, I know, but with the amount of fibre I'm allowed it's not necessarily a bad thing!
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 41 lb
    Last updated: 23rd May 2017
    • Tete en l'Air
    • By Tete en l'Air 18th Apr 17, 8:06 AM
    • 6,738 Posts
    • 30,520 Thanks
    Tete en l'Air
    Can someone tell me how many syns are in skimmed milk?Online I have found guesses of all sorts.At the moment I am going by 100 ml being 2 syns (one of the guestimates I have found,as well as 1/2 syn per tablespoon(!).Can someone else confirm?Thank you.
    Originally posted by Saver-upper
    You can have 350ml as HEA so 6 syns per 350ml = 1 syn for *about* 60ml (58.33).

Thanks for the chart Shala and well done SOTW Beanie!!

I had a sneaky peek on the scales this morning and it wasn't pretty - I think my new aim for the rest of this challenge is to just get back to where I was at the start (lose 4lb from now).

Plan for today:
    B - Weetabix
    D - Bacon, onion, mushroom and tomato omelette
    T - Speedy chicken curry from freezer with quinoa
    HEA - Milk
    HEB - Weetabix
    Syns - Sugar in coffee and on Weetabix (3), curry (0.5), hot chocolate (3)

I need to do a meal plan and a shop so I'll try and do that today while I'm still feeling bleurgh from the weekend Now off out to run club
    Be a Stunner for Summer Challenge: -1/10 (8/42 in total)
    Currently reading: The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet; The Subtle Knife AB (21/30 in 2017)
    My 'Life Begins at 35' diary *click*
    • Top Girl
    • By Top Girl 18th Apr 17, 9:20 AM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 6,976 Thanks
    Top Girl
    An on plan day yesterday 2 syns for lighter than light mayo was the damage.

Aiming for one day at a time:

Today

B) Mugshot and an apple. Couldn't be bothered making anything so just grabbed this on my way in.

D) Seafood salad and a cup of potato, leek and bacon soup. Carrot sticks and strawberries.

T) Cottage pie (4 + HEXA) and green beans

BM - Usual commute, dog walk, shopping.

HEXB will be ryvita minis later on.
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 18th Apr 17, 9:47 AM
    • 46,918 Posts
    • 553,131 Thanks
    bubbs
    Evening everyone!
    Been a while since I used MSE forums but I want to give Slimming World a go and know the support in these forums is great!

So I hope you don't mind me joining you!

Still trying to get my head round it all and I'm afraid of the mountain of Easter Eggs that are in my living room - but I will join in with the next challenge from 30th - gives me a few weeks to start myself off!

Right, now to menu plan and order the shopping ��
    Originally posted by jade86123
    Welcome i am new ish too
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15

-1 stone 13 1/2 lb week 9
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 18th Apr 17, 9:51 AM
    • 46,918 Posts
    • 553,131 Thanks
    bubbs
    Well done Beanie
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15

-1 stone 13 1/2 lb week 9
    • WJN222
    • By WJN222 18th Apr 17, 10:05 AM
    • 133 Posts
    • 1,144 Thanks
    WJN222
    morning all - hope everyone had a good break/easter weekend.

WI this morning with a loss of -1lb. Slow and steady

Plan for today:
    B: Strawberries and FF yogurt
    L: speed food and scan bran
    D: iceland SW ready meal.
    Snacks: carrot sticks, celery sticks and Kiwi.
    Syns 3 for sugar in tea
    Aiming to hit the gym as well.

Hugs to all that need them - off to catch up with the thread!
    Last edited by WJN222; 18-04-2017 at 10:44 AM.
    walk 2017 miles in 2017 - 272 of 2017
    SW journey - loose 28lbs - 11lb of 28
    Clear the stash May OUT : IN = 3:1
    • gingerfurball
    • By gingerfurball 18th Apr 17, 11:18 AM
    • 376 Posts
    • 2,095 Thanks
    gingerfurball
    Hi all - hope you all had a lovely Easter....mines was combined with our anniversary celebrations and we did enjoy ourselves lol. We were having a stay-cation so wanted to try out new restaurants and do new things just for the fun of it.

So we ate out at two new restaurants (3 trips in total) one is a authentic Sicilian restaurant so you can guess most definitely not SW friendly. And we ate out for brunch twice (I had the same both times...breakfast bagel with black pudding, bacon, sausage and fried egg yumyumyum!!

I did have chocolate (which I don't normally eat as I don't really have a sweet tooth but there was just so much - hubby loves chocolate and the grandkids had theirs at ours as well)

So now after going buck mad I'm back on it like a car bonnet lol!! After not being to class for a month (and a decent gain I would think) I'm re-joining class this Saturday - my thinking that I can do it on my own strength is clearly not working - I must need the threat of the scales apparently.

Why I wanted to lose weight is I was miserable (at my heaviest I was in the region of 17 stone - I'm tall 5' 9" but that was still way too heavy...I got down to around 15.7 but was still unhappy and I sat myself down and had a wee chat to myself - saying I wish I was richer and thinner - at least there is something I can do about the thinner thing!!

So I've been at SW for a year now and nearly got to my 2 stone award - but I've been fannying about for a while now and dropped out of class about a month ago - I'm planning to rejoin with my old stats to be accountable - and I'll join the challenge and just tell of my losses or gains from then. I'm still in the region of 1.5 stone off so I've not lost too much ground but I'm not losing any more.

Food today:
    B: 2 fried eggs, 3 bacon medallions and 3 roasted plum tomatoes and an orange
    L: chicken, lettuce, beetroot, ham slices, egg, pickled onions, tomato, sprinkle of cheese (HEa)
    D: pork chops, cauliflower, green beans, peas, baby boils

Syns: there's a bit of white wine left over from the weekend so I'll have a glass of that
    Not got a HEb organised - I always struggle with that!!

Oh and I got my nose pierced!! - I've wanted that done since I was around 17 years of age!!
    Last edited by gingerfurball; 18-04-2017 at 11:33 AM.
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 18th Apr 17, 11:53 AM
    • 4,889 Posts
    • 32,745 Thanks
    joedenise
    Good morning everyone. Bit late this morning as had to go to hospital for blood tests this morning; followed by shopping and then back to hospital for DH to see the nurse as his scar's looking at bit inflamed but she said it looks OK with no infection but to go back if it gets worse!

Because of that breakfast was very late so everything else will be too although I'll still need to make sure we eat before 7pm or I won't be able to eat! It's like my stomach doesn't want to let any food in after that, weird, I know but it is what it is.

Welcome Jade to the thread. Of course you're welcome to join. We have people who go to group, do SW online and those who are doing it themselves at home (personally I don't know how they manage to keep on track!)

Saverupper - if you can get it try to but Lighter than Light mayo as it's only 0.5 syns per Tbs. As far as I know the only one you can get is He**manns (but if anyone knows better please let me know!)

GFB - it was our 46th wedding anniversary yesterday but we didn't celebrate (we would normally share a bottle of special wine rather than our normal plonk) although we did share a small bottle of Babych*m which DD1 bought for me as part of my Christmas present. We will be sharing a bottle of wine tonight so I will definitely be a few syns over but as I didn't have many yesterday will be OK over the week.

Today's plan:

B - toasted bacon & mushroom sandwich (HEB + 3 for spread & brown sauce)
    L - LO dahl (which was really nice and will definitely be going on the menu next month - maybe as an evening meal but will then have with rice and perhaps HM onion bjarjies
    D - sweet & sour pork with rice using LO roast from Sunday - 1 syn for cornflour

HEA - milk
    HEB - bread
    Syns - spread 2; brown sauce 1; cornflour 1; wine

Denise
    • Lois Lane
    • By Lois Lane 18th Apr 17, 12:23 PM
    • 3,431 Posts
    • 14,236 Thanks
    Lois Lane
    I have had a good day today,SW-wise,though not sure how worthwhile it is trying to make myself eat mushrooms in an effort to get in more speed.Nearly gagged trying to make myself swallow them with reakfast .Definitely not a food that sparks joy in me!
    I've acquired a taste for mushrooms because of SW so it can be done. I started off not eating them at all, then I started adding them to meals like spaghetti Bolognese and last year I started having them with bacon and eggs. I realised I actually liked them when I ordered a small breakfast in a caf!, it didn't come with mushrooms and I wanted some. I still draw the line at Portobello mushrooms and field mushrooms as the flavour is a bit too strong for me, but you never know, I might be eating them by next year.

LL
    Start BMI - 38.7 Current BMI - 31.2 Target BMI - 26.3
    • Lois Lane
    • By Lois Lane 18th Apr 17, 12:28 PM
    • 3,431 Posts
    • 14,236 Thanks
    Lois Lane
    Afternoon all - just a quickie, just back from class (where I STS btw) and about to close so having a quick skim through the posts I've missed.

Thanks for the chart Shala.

SOTW* is.... BEANIE with a loss of 4.5lbs!!

Congratulations!

Originally posted by shala_moo
    Whoop whoop! Well done Beanie - shame you had to endure having a tooth out to do it, hope you're all better now.

Welcome to the thread Jade.

Have a good week everyone.

LL
    Start BMI - 38.7 Current BMI - 31.2 Target BMI - 26.3
    • Saver-upper
    • By Saver-upper 18th Apr 17, 1:06 PM
    • 1,464 Posts
    • 11,221 Thanks
    Saver-upper
    Thank you tete for the advice on milk.It is amazing how much you forget when you have been off-plan for 18 months.I spent,literally,45-50 minute last night looking for syn value.There are a couple of facebook pages I belong to for SW,and even for Syns specifically,but all of them talked about milk in terms of how much you could have as a HEA.Or,it was people asking and other people responding with "I think.....".Googling "How many syns in skimmed milk?" didn't really help.Couldn't even really find it in an old SW new members' book until I was so tired,I didn't know whether to trust it or not.Then I asked here.

Lois Lane I will be 50 later this year,and I have never liked mushrooms.Whenever I get them on a fried breakfast (eating out,etc),I swap with OH.At home I only really buy them for OH,though do use them in,say ,stroganoff and serve myself only a few .The only time I don't mind them is when they have "dried out" a bit,eg cooked on the top of a pizza (and then not great mouthfuls of the stuff).But the usual texture........
    However,since starting SW again,I have been tryinng to make an effort.Deliberately had lots (relatively) in the casserole I made last week (added in the last few minutes,so no time to go squidgy ),and I was pleased with myself for that.Maybe it was a leap too far going from that to just under 1/3 of my plate filled with them.I will persist,though.It is good to know it can be done,thank you Lois
    Last edited by Saver-upper; 18-04-2017 at 1:08 PM.
    Roadkill Rebel #14,2016:£35.50 £12,000in2016 #82=£3163
    SPC #155 x 7.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00
    Pinecone £286,Valued Opinions £10.50,Wombling £36.05

• candyapple
    • By candyapple 18th Apr 17, 1:22 PM
    • 576 Posts
    • 4,009 Thanks
    candyapple
    Afternoony everyone

Well Easter's over there's no more choc or bad stuff in the house so I'm back on the wagon and trying to behave! I have 6 weigh ins left until my nephew's christening so I'd love to be able to get into some clothes the next size down and feel good about myself in the zillions of photos that will probably be taken I have 8.5lbs to get into the next stone bracket - I'd love to think I could get there

Well done beanie on SOTW

Lois Lane I will be 50 later this year,and I have never liked mushrooms.Whenever I get them on a fried breakfast (eating out,etc),I swap with OH.
    Ooh another staunch mushroom hater here - I think it's the texture of them I don't like as they don't really taste of much do they? When I was younger and lived at home my dad used to try and sneak bits of mushroom into my meals and I could always spot even the tiniest bit It takes over my life though - constantly asking waiters if things are served with mushrooms, OH gets so embarrassed by it! Maybe one day I will learn to tolerate them

Hope everyone has a good day, lots of sunshine here but still a bit nippy

• esmy
    • By esmy 18th Apr 17, 1:45 PM
    • 710 Posts
    • 1,763 Thanks
    esmy

Saverupper - if you can get it try to but Lighter than Light mayo as it's only 0.5 syns per Tbs. As far as I know the only one you can get is He**manns (but if anyone knows better please let me know!)

Denise
    Originally posted by joedenise
    Aldi also do a Lighter than Light mayo - same Syns. HTH
    • Missli
    • By Missli 18th Apr 17, 2:11 PM
    • 7,092 Posts
    • 16,565 Thanks
    Missli
    Hello to everyone here! Is it worth the membership costs if I want to just lose about 10lbs? How effective is slimming world? Apologies in advance for the questions. Im thinking of joining up
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 18th Apr 17, 2:17 PM
    • 1,249 Posts
    • 5,185 Thanks
    kathrynha
    I love mushrooms, but aren't allowed them
    Hubby really hates mushrooms, but I found grating them in to mince bulked it out nicely with speed, but hubby didn't notice them.

Hello to everyone here! Is it worth the membership costs if I want to just lose about 10lbs? How effective is slimming world? Apologies in advance for the questions. Im thinking of joining up
    Originally posted by Missli
    Whether it's worth it depends very much on you. Would you be able to stick to it by yourself? The fact that you are asking the question possibly means you can't.

For 10 lb it shouldn't cost you for that many weeks if you follow it seriously. I believe the daily mail has a voucher for joining for free at the moment, which will save you the joining fee, so you would only have the weekly fee to pay.
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 41 lb
    Last updated: 23rd May 2017
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 18th Apr 17, 2:27 PM
    • 4,889 Posts
    • 32,745 Thanks
    joedenise
    Originally posted by Missli
    I certainly think it's worthwhile. Originally I planned to lose 1st 7lb but when I went to see my GP about something else she told me that because of the medical problems I have I needed to put most of it back on! I had to raise my target so that my loss is now only 13lb when I am bang on target.

As Katheryn says if you think you could do it by yourself then you could but as you're asking the question I suspect the answer is no!

It's worth joining even for a few weeks just to make sure you can get your head around the plan properly. It takes some people several weeks to understand the plan properly. Also, SW guarantee that if you don't lose anything in the first 4 weeks you'll get your money back but you must complete and hand in 4 weekly food diaries - and apparently in the 40 odd years it's been going they haven't had to make a refund.

With 10lb to lose you can probably do that in a couple of months.

Go on, give it a go - you know you want to. Remember you're worth a couple of hours of "me" time which is what group becomes.

Good luck.

Denise
    • Tete en l'Air
    • By Tete en l'Air 18th Apr 17, 2:45 PM
    • 6,738 Posts
    • 30,520 Thanks
    Tete en l'Air
    No worries Saver-upper, I was going it alone until recently and always asking for syn values on here so it's nice to be able to pay it forward now I'm an online member.

I love love love mushrooms! When I was little my mam used to give me a bag of raw mushrooms to eat instead of sweets. I had about eight in my lunch today So happy they're speed!

Did a 4.6 mile interval running session this morning and it was hard. I could really feel the effects of a gluttonous week in my belly - I felt like I was carrying so much extra out in front of me Good motivation I guess.
    Currently reading: The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet; The Subtle Knife AB (21/30 in 2017)
    • Tete en l'Air
    • By Tete en l'Air 18th Apr 17, 2:49 PM
    • 6,738 Posts
    • 30,520 Thanks
    Tete en l'Air
    Remember you're worth a couple of hours of "me" time which is what group becomes.
    I love this Denise - this morning I saw someone on Instagram describe her healthy eating (WW) as "taking care" of herself, such a good way of looking at it and puts a positive spin on something that I, personally, often feel is some sort of punishment.
    • lushlifesaver
    • By lushlifesaver 18th Apr 17, 3:18 PM
    • 2,193 Posts
    • 17,489 Thanks
    lushlifesaver
    Caravan days went ok but had a horrible day yesterday with someone and his wife being awful to me on social media...unfortunately I also have to work with him :/ trying not to think about it to be honest as I'm applying for other jobs on the quiet anyway. Anxiety levels though through the roof and my lovely friend has said I really should go to the dr/call our health insurance helpline about it as I never have done and it's interrupting life considerably more often than not

Not really on it today as I was so unprepared this morning/last night so today has been: cereal bar and mini malt loaf for brekkie (1/2heb and 6 syn?) 2 cup of tea and a chicken mugshot (roast chicken so 1 syn I think) :/ will probably have a jacket potato for tea with beans/other free filling.

need more speed in the way of lettuce and cucumber but forgot to bring my purse to work like an idiot so will have to go out for those after feeding myself and littlie tonight (OH is having leftovers)

hoping to salvage the week and still end the challenge on a teeny tiny loss!

Ready to go for the next challenge though and have an achievable goal in mind...I think!

No worries Saver-upper, I was going it alone until recently and always asking for syn values on here so it's nice to be able to pay it forward now I'm an online member.
    Originally posted by Tete en l'Air

how are you finding the online membership? I hear mixed reviews but I've not really got the time to commit to group every week at the moment. thinking about stumping up for online and at least getting access to most things
    Last edited by lushlifesaver; 18-04-2017 at 3:21 PM.
    Perfect Princess born 26/03/14 <3
    • Missli
    • By Missli 18th Apr 17, 4:01 PM
    • 7,092 Posts
    • 16,565 Thanks
    Missli
    I love mushrooms, but aren't allowed them
    Hubby really hates mushrooms, but I found grating them in to mince bulked it out nicely with speed, but hubby didn't notice them.

Whether it's worth it depends very much on you. Would you be able to stick to it by yourself? The fact that you are asking the question possibly means you can't.

For 10 lb it shouldn't cost you for that many weeks if you follow it seriously. I believe the daily mail has a voucher for joining for free at the moment, which will save you the joining fee, so you would only have the weekly fee to pay.
    Originally posted by kathrynha
    I certainly think it's worthwhile. Originally I planned to lose 1st 7lb but when I went to see my GP about something else she told me that because of the medical problems I have I needed to put most of it back on! I had to raise my target so that my loss is now only 13lb when I am bang on target.

As Katheryn says if you think you could do it by yourself then you could but as you're asking the question I suspect the answer is no!

It's worth joining even for a few weeks just to make sure you can get your head around the plan properly. It takes some people several weeks to understand the plan properly. Also, SW guarantee that if you don't lose anything in the first 4 weeks you'll get your money back but you must complete and hand in 4 weekly food diaries - and apparently in the 40 odd years it's been going they haven't had to make a refund.

With 10lb to lose you can probably do that in a couple of months.

Go on, give it a go - you know you want to. Remember you're worth a couple of hours of "me" time which is what group becomes.

Good luck.

Denise
    I've just weighed myself using some new digital scales. My others were useless, and I weigh 142lbs. I need to lose around 17, so I'm definitely going to join.
    I'm not one for big group activities but I think you're right, I'm worth losing a few £s for a few lbs!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,488Posts Today

6,835Users online

Martin's Twitter