Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shala_moo
    • By shala_moo 26th Feb 17, 5:02 PM
    • 3,242Posts
    • 27,179Thanks
    shala_moo
    Get in the swing for Spring - Slimming World support thread 2017
    • 26th Feb 17, 5:02 PM
    Get in the swing for Spring - Slimming World support thread 2017 26th Feb 17 at 5:02 PM
    Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you………go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list – so that’s pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice and one Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables

We have a Facebook group open to anyone joining us on this thread; to join please mention it in your post or drop Lushlifesaver a PM and an existing member can send you an invite.
    Last edited by shala_moo; 26-02-2017 at 5:29 PM.
    Mortgage = £166,050£118,172.76
    Mortgage Offset % = 32.56%
    Mortgage Neutral Date = Dec 2036 Mar 2026
Page 26
    • mrsp1987
    • By mrsp1987 14th Mar 17, 7:37 AM
    • 811 Posts
    • 3,920 Thanks
    mrsp1987
    Had a very good week and lost 1lb, taking me one pound under target weight. For me it was more about resetting my habits rather than going for a weight loss, although I do like to be 1-2lb under my target. Did an 11 mile run on Saturday which was mentally time, but was faster than my last 10 mile run when I was finishing my cold. Last long run before my half marathon on 2nd April and have a 10K race in Shrewsbury this Sunday with a friend.
    Hopefully, I'll remember to post a picture afterwards!
    Mortgage April 2011: £108,499 30 yr term Current Mortgage £91,084.44 20 yrs left
    MFiT T4 #67 - Reduce mortgage from £99,310.76 to £80,000
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 14th Mar 17, 7:57 AM
    • 1,729 Posts
    • 8,559 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Thanks for the chart Shala and well done on SOTW Whiplashy.

The chart isn't making good reading for me so far for this challenge. Got weigh in tonight, then need to get my head down and get seriously back on plan.

Managed to resist temptation last night, so yesterday was a good on plan day

Todays plan:
    Breakfast - overnight oats
    Lunch - ham and cottage cheese salad and birthday cake
    Dinner - jacket potato

HA - milk
    HB - oats

I'm really loving my overnight oats for breakfasts and salads for lunches on the days I'm in the office, but I'm wondering if I need to shake it up a little.
    When I initially started I had just yogurt and fruit for breakfast, as I want cereal bars as a snack later in the day, but now I am having oats, I have come round to using my HB for breakfast.
    What do people have for breakfasts that potentially uses the HB, but preferably not the HA, that is either cold, or just uses hot water to cook, that can be eaten unmessily, and not too smellily at a desk? Thanks
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 58 lb
    Last updated: 12th September 2017
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 14th Mar 17, 8:07 AM
    • 4,675 Posts
    • 34,693 Thanks
    joedenise
    Well done Whiplashy on being our SOTW.

Kathryn - when I was working I always used to have fruit and yoghurt for breakfast but if you want something cold you could always go continental with cold meats, pickles, cheese triangles (the purple lidded Laughing Cow are only 1 syn each), smoked salmon, tomato slices & fruit.

Have a look on the SW website at the weekly menus and you might get some other ideas from there.

Today's plan:

B - porridge made with water; melon balls; strawberries & grapes
    L - jacket potato; baked beans; salad - lettuce, cucumber, tomato, beetroot, pickled onions, spring onions, syn free onion chutney
    D - liver, bacon, onions, cabbage, green beans, mash

HEA - milk
    HEB - porridge
    Syns - none planned but may have some dark choc this evening, as I did last night! (4 syns worth)

Denise
    • Maisie M
    • By Maisie M 14th Mar 17, 8:20 AM
    • 1,374 Posts
    • 12,796 Thanks
    Maisie M
    Morning all

Weigh in day for me today so menu is:
    Breakfast: toast, cheese and ham with tomatoes, forest fruit and DG coffeee
    Lunch: Sw tomato soup with satsuma, apple and yoghurt
    dinner: Toad in the hole after being weighed with gravy

I am hoping for a maintain this week as although I was good Wednesday, Thursday and Friday I was slightly off plan Saturday Sunday and then star week kicked in on Monday so I feel like a bloated whale!!!!

Fingers crossed I keep my stone award and I can get back on it tomorrow.
    SPC - #210 2014 - £178.11
    • Tete en l'Air
    • By Tete en l'Air 14th Mar 17, 8:43 AM
    • 6,829 Posts
    • 31,182 Thanks
    Tete en l'Air
    Morning all, had a very quick skim read of the thread to catch up after Friday, Saturday, Sunday AND Monday completely off the rails Ugh what's wrong with me? I'm desperate to lose weight yet wilfully go to the supermarket and buy three packets of biscuits.

Three days to try to turn it back around before weigh in on Friday. I'm working til 9pm today but have got BNS soup and a roll out of the freezer for lunch and a bolognese for tea. I need to do some serious shopping and batch cooking though as that's about the last of my 'ready meals' gone.

On a positve note I've discovered jacket potatoes can be made in the slow cooker
    Originally posted by Haylaluru
    This is a potential game changer - tell me more!!

Maman - happy belated birthday, sorry I missed it!

Right off to do some work and glue my mouth shut...
    Slimming for Santa (1.5/8)
    Drink The Tea challenge: (10/200)
    Currently reading: The Shining; Alice in Wonderland; Uncommon Type (39/30 in 2017)
    Christmas spending so far: £11.96
    My 'Life Begins at 35' diary *click*
    • Lois Lane
    • By Lois Lane 14th Mar 17, 9:10 AM
    • 3,434 Posts
    • 14,265 Thanks
    Lois Lane
    Morning

Thanks for the chart Shala and well done Whiplashy for SOTW.

I spent yesterday feeling really bloated, didn't have much of an appetite and had mild stomach ache, this morning I've been having stomach cramps and I'm wondering if it's something I've eaten. The only thing I'm suspicious about is some salmon that was reduced as it was nearing its sell by date, but we ate it on the day. I bought 3 packs and put 2 in the freezer so I'll have the same problem again next time we have it.

I see you're having similar issues Lush, I hope it gets better soon.

Regarding cooking jacket potatoes in the slow cooker, I saw a thing on Facebook about cooking a whole butternut squash like that. I didn't realise you could cook without liquid in a slow cooker and I'm not sure I'd want to risk it, has anyone here tried it?

Have a good day everyone.

LL
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 14th Mar 17, 9:15 AM
    • 1,729 Posts
    • 8,559 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Never dared do anything without liquid in my slow cooker, because I was told when I first got it that it needed liquid in it. It is only a cheap slow cooker though, so I would be up to trying it.
    I'm not really a stew/casserole type person, and do feel I don't use it as much as I should, so being able to do stuff like jacket potatoes would mean it was used a lot more.
    • Ruthy1604
    • By Ruthy1604 14th Mar 17, 9:50 AM
    • 523 Posts
    • 5,002 Thanks
    Ruthy1604
    Well done to everyone who's lost this week.

I'm pretty much over my massive sulk over gaining last week
    I've been sticking to plan - ish.

B: Cup of tea
    L: Leftover chick pea casserole (SW recipe) with extra spinach. Melon. FF Greek Yog with frozen berries
    D: Chicken something. Not sure yet
    HExA - Milk in Tea
    HExB - Something with my dinner
    10lb to lose & keep off in 2017 4.5lb/10lb
    Save 12K in 2017 Number 74 £9845/£30000
    • Haylaluru
    • By Haylaluru 14th Mar 17, 10:01 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    Haylaluru
    Lush It sounds very similar to what I've had. The pain would start on my right under my ribs and would radiate around by back, up into my shoulder and across my chest. It was agony and would last about an hour and during that time I could hardly concentrate on breathing never mind anything else. Dr suggested Dioralyte every hour on the hour for 6 hours then water every hour on the hour for the next 24 hours (except when sleeping) to 'flush' out a potential virus. I had blood tests and off the back of those results an ultrasound which showed I was 'borderline' and no further action required. Borderline what? I have no idea as I can't get passed the bloomin' receptionist to make an appointment with the GP to discuss it further. I couldn't even get to see the GP before the ultrasound as the appointment just came though because of the LFT result so I have no idea what was suspected. (possibly fatty liver but that's the danger of a google search when you can't see your GP) The initial dioralyte/water did ease it a lot and got rid of the dull ache under my ribs although I had another 2 episodes of full blown agony between then and the ultrasound last week. My symptoms are much better after I started avoiding onions and leafy greens, I'd never had a problem with these ever before but from my food diary these seemed to be the only common triggers, so maybe it was a build up of gas which sounds trivial but jeez I've never known pain like it, and I've been through childbirth.
    So keep a food diary to see what your triggers are and get to see a GP if you can, hope you feel better soon x

Tete Just !!!!! your Potatoes rub some olive oil on the skins and a sprinkle of salt, (I'm sure frylight would work too) wrap in tin foil, put in the slow cooker and forget about them. Mine weren't huge and were ready after 6/7 hours on low. The large ones you buy in packs of 4 will be ok for a good 8 hours in there ready for dinner after work. Or put them on high for 4/5 hours depending on their size.
    • Haylaluru
    • By Haylaluru 14th Mar 17, 10:06 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    Haylaluru
    Haha I didn't realise this site had a sensor.
    The !!!!! was a word used to describe inserting a fork with force into a potato several times in order to pierce the skin all over.
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 14th Mar 17, 10:13 AM
    • 1,729 Posts
    • 8,559 Thanks
    kathrynha
    I had guessed the right word Haylaluru

I will try the potatoes when I next have a WFH day, as I like to keep an eye on the slow cooker the first time I try owt new. Thanks for the instructions
    • WJN222
    • By WJN222 14th Mar 17, 10:23 AM
    • 185 Posts
    • 1,528 Thanks
    WJN222
    Hi all,

WI this morning was STS

I'm happy with that given I ate out for 4 days this week!
    Back on plan whole hearted today!
    walk 2017 miles in 2017 - 415 of 2017
    SW journey - loose 28lbs - 14lb of 28
    Clear the stash July OUT : IN = 17:2
    • maman
    • By maman 14th Mar 17, 12:02 PM
    • 16,981 Posts
    • 101,564 Thanks
    maman
    I've never tried anything dry in the SC either so thanks for the tips (and the laugh) haylaluru.

All those stomach cramps sound painful. Hope you get well soon lush and lois. I had similar last week and I think it was from eating a tin of mackerel in mustard sauce or it could have been too much lemon water. Whatever it was definitely didn't agree with me. Upside was I didn't fancy eating anything and I had a good loss so fingers crossed for your both.

I like to be at the low end of target range too mrsp, although it's easier said than done. Well done with the running.

If you enjoy fruit and yogurt for breakfast then I'd go for it kathrynha. It means you have both your HEXs for the rest of the day. Looking at your menus overall I don't think you eat very much. No problem with a salad at lunchtime but is a JP enough for a main meal? Does the whole family eat what you have?

Pleased I found a portion of soup in the freezer as supplies are getting limited. I'm eating out tonight but I'll probably have steak and salad again, jury still out on whether to go for chips or new potatoes.

Today's EE plan:
    B: NAS grapefruit, 2 boiled eggs, HEB toast, HEA milk for drinks
    L: lentil and veg soup
    D: steak, salad and???
    Syns: not sure yet

We're off early in the morning and while I'll make some sensible choices I'll effectively be off plan until next week.
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 14th Mar 17, 12:56 PM
    • 4,675 Posts
    • 34,693 Thanks
    joedenise
    Maman - it would have to be chips for me with steak & salad! I love new potatoes but wouldn't normally have them unless eating out!

Enjoy your holiday. Can't wait for mine to come round but have another 2 weeks before I go and I'll be away for my birthday, coming home the day after.

Denise
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 14th Mar 17, 1:18 PM
    • 1,729 Posts
    • 8,559 Thanks
    kathrynha
    If you enjoy fruit and yogurt for breakfast then I'd go for it kathrynha. It means you have both your HEXs for the rest of the day. Looking at your menus overall I don't think you eat very much. No problem with a salad at lunchtime but is a JP enough for a main meal? Does the whole family eat what you have?
    Originally posted by maman

When I put jacket potato that's me just being too lazy to type more
    Jacket potato mean potato, filling (often tuna), salad, etc. and I tend to have a reasonable sized potato.
    Same when I put just chilli, I mean and rice or wedges.

We generally eat together as a family. and normally all the same, so hubby and daughter would kick up a fuss if I fed them small amounts

Also tend not to have too many syns in my plan, because that leaves them for when I need them.

I liked the fruit and yogurt for breakfast, but it didn't fill me till lunchtime like the overnight oats, so then I needed something else mid morning, which is when I get tempted by the work tuck shop. Maybe changing my oats to grape nut might be a nice change
    • lushlifesaver
    • By lushlifesaver 14th Mar 17, 4:54 PM
    • 2,225 Posts
    • 17,950 Thanks
    lushlifesaver
    LLS sounds like a good idea to keep a food diary for a few days but you really need to see a Dr as soon as you can if the pain is that bad. Your health should come before work!

You may have missed it but oats are now 40g for HEB not 35g so enjoy the extra 5g! It may not sound much but I definitely notice I stay fuller for longer since it's been increased!
    Originally posted by joedenise

Y'know I did wonder about the quantity but convinced myself it had gone from 30 to 35g not 35 to 40g ha!
    I will definitely get an appointment - I know there's a few different things it could be (some of which others in the family have) so I should get it checked really.

will ask re my weightloss efforts whilst there as I try so hard and make very little progress!

Lush It sounds very similar to what I've had. The pain would start on my right under my ribs and would radiate around by back, up into my shoulder and across my chest. It was agony and would last about an hour and during that time I could hardly concentrate on breathing never mind anything else. Dr suggested Dioralyte every hour on the hour for 6 hours then water every hour on the hour for the next 24 hours (except when sleeping) to 'flush' out a potential virus. I had blood tests and off the back of those results an ultrasound which showed I was 'borderline' and no further action required. Borderline what? I have no idea as I can't get passed the bloomin' receptionist to make an appointment with the GP to discuss it further. I couldn't even get to see the GP before the ultrasound as the appointment just came though because of the LFT result so I have no idea what was suspected. (possibly fatty liver but that's the danger of a google search when you can't see your GP) The initial dioralyte/water did ease it a lot and got rid of the dull ache under my ribs although I had another 2 episodes of full blown agony between then and the ultrasound last week. My symptoms are much better after I started avoiding onions and leafy greens, I'd never had a problem with these ever before but from my food diary these seemed to be the only common triggers, so maybe it was a build up of gas which sounds trivial but jeez I've never known pain like it, and I've been through childbirth.
    So keep a food diary to see what your triggers are and get to see a GP if you can, hope you feel better soon x
    Originally posted by Haylaluru
    I'm going to go to the GP on Friday - I wonder if it may be a touch of IBS if nothing else. the wind is awful along with the pain and bloating etc

I settled on making gammon egg and chips for hubs for tea, littlie will have fish fingers. I think I will have a jacket potato with a little salad and some coronation tuna (1 syn)

I've had 7 chocolate fingers over the last 9 hours (a whopping 11 syns) and may have a white options tonight as I've had no a choice yet
    Perfect Princess born 26/03/14 <3
    • wizkid1
    • By wizkid1 14th Mar 17, 5:16 PM
    • 1,833 Posts
    • 15,065 Thanks
    wizkid1
    Hiya everyone I am rather early doing my Wednesday's plan, but, while I'm doing this I'm not eating. I have had everything I am allowed today, although, I haven't had my crispbread's yet ( supper I think )

Plan for Wednesday..

Breakfast.. f f yoghurt, banana, strawberries.blueberries.

Lunch.. mushroom Soup 2 ryvita 3 syns Butter clementine.

Dinner.. double egg bacon B and s/w cheesy A. Chips beetroot,

Extra. 2 alpen lite bars B. 2 crispbreads 5 syns inc butter. Melon.
    8 syns.. A for Milk
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 14th Mar 17, 5:39 PM
    • 1,729 Posts
    • 8,559 Thanks
    kathrynha
    I really need to not weigh myself between weigh ins.

Yes I have said that before!

Yesterday - stay the same
    Today - 1lb on
    Did some exercise then weighed again - 6lb on
    Various more weighings and I have a range of 8lb all within an hour, and all of them gains on yesterday!

Think my scales may be iffy. Now kind of dreading weigh in tonight, because I have no idea what to expect. Add to that I am feeling naff because I am coming down with a cold, and I have PMT
    • greentiger
    • By greentiger 14th Mar 17, 7:22 PM
    • 2,004 Posts
    • 14,463 Thanks
    greentiger
    Hail, whiplashy, SOTW! Thanks again for the chart, shala.

Can’t remember where it was, but yesterday I saw a bit about coconut oil being really, really bad for you! I wish they would make their minds up!

Well done, mrsp (I’m worn out just reading your post – I may need to go for a lie down!).

Lois & lush, I hope you feel better soon.

kathrynha, my scales played tricks on me last year – they’d give one result, step off and on and give another, ad infinitum - and I finally gave in and bought new ones. They seem to be behaving themselves, although I’m not one for weighing myself in between times (can’t face the misery I might get).

Tuesday
    Pre Breakfast: banana
    Breakfast: poached eggs, beans, tomatoes, hexb toast
    hexb porridge
    Snack: choc orange hifi (3)
    Lunch: baked potato, tuna & sweetcorn mayo (1), salad, 3 1 x mini babybel light (part hexa), Light & Free mango and passionfruit yogurt
    Snack: Metcalfs's skinny popcorn (5)
    Dinner: spaghetti Bolognese, BUT I may not be around to make it, and , even if I am, it may just me so I may find something else bacon, eggs, tomatoes, beans, mushrooms, hm coconut & raspberry cake (7)
    Snacks: 2 x rest of hexa mini babybels & grapes

Wednesday
    Pre-Breakfast: banana
    Breakfast: ham, hard boiled egg, hexa cheese, tomato, melon, strawberries, pineapple (this seems more like lunch than breakfast, but I’ve gone back to basics and this is from the sample plan on website)
    Lunch: hexb chicken sandwich with lettuce, tomato, gherkins, spring onion, yogurt
    Dinner: steak & chips, mushrooms, onions, peppers, salad
    Stashbusting 165/200
    17 in 17 Challenge 16/17
    Reading Challenge 23/40
    Film Challenge 36/52
    • piglet6
    • By piglet6 14th Mar 17, 8:03 PM
    • 1,508 Posts
    • 5,621 Thanks
    piglet6
    What do people have for breakfasts that potentially uses the HB, but preferably not the HA, that is either cold, or just uses hot water to cook, that can be eaten unmessily, and not too smellily at a desk? Thanks
    Originally posted by kathrynha
    If I want to use HB for breakfast but save HA, I have Weetabix Crunchy Bran with fat free Greek yoghurt. It takes longer to eat than when I have it with milk and is much more filling. Its cold, fairly unmessy, and not smelly!

P x
    SW - 29½lbs lost in 2017...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

104Posts Today

2,922Users online

Martin's Twitter