Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shala_moo
    • By shala_moo 26th Feb 17, 5:02 PM
    • 3,198Posts
    • 26,761Thanks
    shala_moo
    Get in the swing for Spring - Slimming World support thread 2017
    • 26th Feb 17, 5:02 PM
    Get in the swing for Spring - Slimming World support thread 2017 26th Feb 17 at 5:02 PM
    Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you………go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list – so that’s pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice and one Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables

We have a Facebook group open to anyone joining us on this thread; to join please mention it in your post or drop Lushlifesaver a PM and an existing member can send you an invite.
    Last edited by shala_moo; 26-02-2017 at 5:29 PM.
    Mortgage = £166,050£124,896.91
    Mortgage Offset % = 26.05%
    Mortgage Neutral Date = Dec 2036 Feb 2027
    SW target - 54lb/31.5lb
Page 25
    • LizzieR
    • By LizzieR 13th Mar 17, 3:57 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 1,812 Thanks
    LizzieR
    Thanks for the kind comments about my loss so far! Was very pleased to get my latest shiny sticker and a new certificate for the fridge In answer to Lois Lane (I think it was) I haven't set a target yet, as it's always seemed so far off, but to get me to a supposedly healthy BMI (although I'm not a fan of the concept) I'd have to lose about another 5 stone....! Just need to keep chipping away at it.

I see there's been mention of yoghurts - there was a discussion in my group the other week about these which is possibly worth sharing. The gist was that mullerlight (for example) is not a free food, it has 0 syns. Meaning that although you don't have to use up any of your syns on these yoghurts they don't have the same filling/weightloss power as a FF natural yoghurt which has no additional sweeteners, flavouring, etc. Useful to know if you're a fan of the mullerlights, or similar, and have hit a bit of a plateau....
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 13th Mar 17, 4:11 PM
    • 4,745 Posts
    • 31,567 Thanks
    joedenise
    Back with today's plan:

B - mushroom and spinach omelette
    L - chicken salad
    D - ham, egg, chips & beans

HEA - milk
    HEB - no idea but will probably have something later

Syns - none planned at the moment but depending on what HEB I have there may be a couple of syns for either butter or Laughing Cow

Denise
    • Matron Midge
    • By Matron Midge 13th Mar 17, 4:58 PM
    • 392 Posts
    • 3,386 Thanks
    Matron Midge
    I've been to Lidl this afternoon for a couple of bits and I bought some of the free Skyr flavoured high protein yogurts. I've only tried the vanilla one so far but they are delicious and very filling.
    Had a very synful weekend but back on track now.
    Hea milk
    Heb 2 hifi light
    B banana and hifi's
    L jacket spud, cottage cheese and salad (4 for butter)
    D 2cc's salt and pepper chicken with noodles
    Snacks skyr with blueberries and maybe another hifi with Broadchurch (3)
    • maman
    • By maman 13th Mar 17, 5:24 PM
    • 15,756 Posts
    • 93,786 Thanks
    maman
    Thanks for the milk info denise . I know they sell 1% in Sainsbury's but BoB seems harder to come by but I haven't looked properly.

I see there's been mention of yoghurts - there was a discussion in my group the other week about these which is possibly worth sharing. The gist was that mullerlight (for example) is not a free food, it has 0 syns. Meaning that although you don't have to use up any of your syns on these yoghurts they don't have the same filling/weightloss power as a FF natural yoghurt which has no additional sweeteners, flavouring, etc. Useful to know if you're a fan of the mullerlights, or similar, and have hit a bit of a plateau....
    Originally posted by LizzieR
    That seems a bit of an arbitrary distinction. For the purposes of EESP,, yogurt all yogurt) counts as a free food so is unacceptable as neither S or P. Sometimes I think SW make it up as they go along.

Decided to have cheese sauce with the cauliflower for dinner so syns involved. Must be on holiday in my head already.
    • orlao
    • By orlao 13th Mar 17, 5:29 PM
    • 1,032 Posts
    • 2,063 Thanks
    orlao
    +2lbs this week. Grrr a sneaky peek at the scales on Friday morning showed a 1lb loss - must have got complacent over the weekend...

Happy belated birthday to Maman and Shala and well done to all the losers. Any gainers can come and join me in the sulky corner.
    • shiprob195
    • By shiprob195 13th Mar 17, 5:37 PM
    • 690 Posts
    • 803 Thanks
    shiprob195
    Just got back from SW a 1.5lb loss this week.

I had hoped for more. But a loss is a loss :-)
    Slimming world new starter 2/1/17
    Weight loss so far 49.5

Loss needed to get to target 25
    16 weeks in to my weightloss journey
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 13th Mar 17, 5:55 PM
    • 1,169 Posts
    • 4,557 Thanks
    kathrynha
    That seems a bit of an arbitrary distinction. For the purposes of EESP,, yogurt all yogurt) counts as a free food so is unacceptable as neither S or P. Sometimes I think SW make it up as they go along.
    Originally posted by maman
    I don't get all the rules. Guessing as long as you have your 1/3 speed, and don't have 20 muller lights a day you should be okay.

+2lbs this week. Grrr a sneaky peek at the scales on Friday morning showed a 1lb loss - must have got complacent over the weekend...
    Originally posted by orlao
    I've just weighed myself after a bad weekend, and before tomorrow evenings weigh in, and currently showing as a STS, and part of me is thinking I now don't need to be as good between now and weigh in as I had planned as I had assumed I would be having a significant gain, but I need to stay strong and not give in to temptation

Just got back from SW a 1.5lb loss this week.

I had hoped for more. But a loss is a loss :-)
    Originally posted by shipr!!!95
    Well done on the loss.

Currently making my dinner. My chilli is super super speedy today. The mince mixture is about 9/10 speed, and only 1/10 meat and beans.
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 34.5 lb
    Last updated: 18th April 2017
    • Moneysaverme
    • By Moneysaverme 13th Mar 17, 6:06 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    Moneysaverme
    Hello, quick question about the Sains butternut squash waffles which are zero syns... are they actually called SQUAFFLES or is that a SW nickname??

Also which bit of the frozen aisle would I find them in?? I searched our local superstore with no luck. Tried with the veggies, also the potato section but couldn't see them. Maybe they were out of stock or maybe I'm not looking in a really obvious place. I'd love to try them so I would be grateful for any help.

I haven't caught up on the thread properly but wanted to quickly add something to the speed veggies comments. I have been doing the 777 challenge for a few weeks (not following it exactly - having approx 80 syns per week). I have noticed that the weeks I lost the most (4 lbs followed by 3 lbs) were those when I threw in an extra portion of green veg to whatever I was eating.

The last two weeks I have become a bit complacent with this (losing 2.5 then 1.5 lbs), so this week I shall def be upping the green veg angain and we will see what happens.

I don't eat much fruit, mainly satsumas, pineapple and grapes. Anyway, perhaps if you are on a bit of a plateau or not seeing the results you would like, try adding some green veg to your plate. Waitrose do a nice frozen mix of peas, runners and broad beans and this was what I was adding in every day.

Hope this helps someone x
    Make £10 a day - November 2012 £385.00/ £300.00
    October 2012 £177.20 / £310.00. September 2012 £263.23 / £300.00. August 2012 £367.00 / £310.00. July 2012 £312.86 / £310. May 2012 £354.26 / £310.00
    • smallpackages
    • By smallpackages 13th Mar 17, 6:52 PM
    • 9,396 Posts
    • 17,912 Thanks
    smallpackages
    hi all, thanks again for the replies and support. I have eaten a lot of yogurt. I love yogurt and raspberries, so am cutting down and hoping to do better. managed a big walk today on shaky legs cause am not buying this 'no need to exercise' thing. hoping the weekends indulgence doesn't completely scupper me this week ( don't regret it though, I needed it)
    "that grady! won't sit next to a black child in church! but eats eggs, shoot right out a chickens !!!!!!" from fried green tomatoes

MSE is where my friends live
    • Moneysaverme
    • By Moneysaverme 13th Mar 17, 7:14 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    Moneysaverme
    Happy belated birthday to MAMAN, sorry I missed it. You are so helpful and supportive on this thread and I very much appreciate it. Sounds like you had a lovely day.

One other thing, thanks to whoever mentioned that Muller lites were not suitable for vegetarians. I had no idea. I haven't eaten them since I did SW about 6 years ago but had thought about trying them again. I know better now! Thanks again x

Hope everyone who is poorly recovers soon x
    October 2012 £177.20 / £310.00. September 2012 £263.23 / £300.00. August 2012 £367.00 / £310.00. July 2012 £312.86 / £310. May 2012 £354.26 / £310.00
    • wizkid1
    • By wizkid1 13th Mar 17, 7:22 PM
    • 1,666 Posts
    • 13,768 Thanks
    wizkid1
    Good evening everyone this will be my Tuesday menu plan Hopefully !!

Breakfast.. porridge A/B strawberries, Blueberries,

Lunch ..mushroom soup 2 Ryvita 3 syns plus 3 for butter. Melon,

Dinner chicken breast fillet.Small roasted cubed potatoes garden peas corn

Extra. 2 crisp bread 5 syns inc butter. F f yoghurt. Melon.
    11 syns
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Mar 17, 7:24 PM
    • 45,908 Posts
    • 161,412 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great result for you abbafan
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • greentiger
    • By greentiger 13th Mar 17, 7:30 PM
    • 1,804 Posts
    • 13,144 Thanks
    greentiger
    Well done, Msm, Abbafan, shiprob and PerthLady.

lantanna, I hope the faller is ok. And I hope your gain vanishes as mysteriously as it appeared!

Oh, lucky you, maman. It’s a long time since I’ve been to either city, but I loved them both. They have/had quite different personalities. We may go back to Budapest in the summer as the football club is going there for pre season and are organising supporters’ trips. As I said before, I think, just avoid the gypsy steaks. The beer was cheap (and very good, I am reliably informed – I don’t like any alcohol).

Well, the expected gain happened, so It’s +3lbs for me. Moving on.

Pre Breakfast: nothing – the cupboards are bare – unless I can steal a banana at my daughter’s house when I go for DGS!
    Breakfast: assorted fruits - strawberries, grapes, apple, melon, ff fromage frais, 1/2 hexb toast and 1 dairylea light triangle (part hexa)
    Lunch: ham & veg (peppers, mushrooms, shallots omelette, salad (leaves, cucumber, tomatoes, radishes
    Dinner: chicken Kiev (2 ½ ), chips, veg (carroes, green beans & broccoli)
    Snacks: Hifi choc mint (3), small piece hm coconut & raspberry loaf (7)
    Syns: 2 ½ 12 ½

Tuesday should be
    Pre Breakfast: banana
    Breakfast: poached eggs, beans, tomatoes, hexb toast
    Lunch: baked potato, tuna & sweetcorn mayo (1), salad, 3 x mini babybel light (hexa)
    Dinner: spaghetti Bolognese, BUT I may not be around to make it, and , even if I am, it may just be me so I may find something else
    Stashbusting 55/200
    17 in 17 Challenge 2/17
    Reading Challenge 5/40
    Film Challenge 12/52
    Weight Loss +3.2/5
    • Matron Midge
    • By Matron Midge 13th Mar 17, 7:42 PM
    • 392 Posts
    • 3,386 Thanks
    Matron Midge
    Hello, quick question about the Sains butternut squash waffles which are zero syns... are they actually called SQUAFFLES or is that a SW nickname??

Also which bit of the frozen aisle would I find them in?? I searched our local superstore with no luck. Tried with the veggies, also the potato section but couldn't see them. Maybe they were out of stock or maybe I'm not looking in a really obvious place. I'd love to try them so I would be grateful for any help.

I haven't caught up on the thread properly but wanted to quickly add something to the speed veggies comments. I have been doing the 777 challenge for a few weeks (not following it exactly - having approx 80 syns per week). I have noticed that the weeks I lost the most (4 lbs followed by 3 lbs) were those when I threw in an extra portion of green veg to whatever I was eating.

The last two weeks I have become a bit complacent with this (losing 2.5 then 1.5 lbs), so this week I shall def be upping the green veg angain and we will see what happens.

I don't eat much fruit, mainly satsumas, pineapple and grapes. Anyway, perhaps if you are on a bit of a plateau or not seeing the results you would like, try adding some green veg to your plate. Waitrose do a nice frozen mix of peas, runners and broad beans and this was what I was adding in every day.

Hope this helps someone x
    Originally posted by Moneysaverme

The squaffles are fresh. They are with the pre-prepared veggies.
    • lushlifesaver
    • By lushlifesaver 13th Mar 17, 7:46 PM
    • 2,190 Posts
    • 17,459 Thanks
    lushlifesaver
    Happy belated birthday maman - sorry I missed it!

Today hasn't been as bad. that said something I have eaten over the last three days has not agreed with me. I am so boated I look 6 months pregnant and i'm in a lot of pain. Also can't keep my concentration/major brain fog and indigestion after every meal/any food:/

I think I'm going to keep a food diary (what, when how much, any symptoms after, how long for) and see if there's any obvious changes. I should see a dr really as the pain is extreme but there's no time until Friday as it's conference week at work

plan for tomorrow:
    breakfast: 35g oats (heb) w/ milk from hea, grated apple and carrot, cinnamon
    lunch: lettuce, cucumber, tomato, beetroot, chicken, hard boiled egg
    tea: nothing decided as yet. probably a microwave jacket with beans and some speedy sides. or chicken
    Perfect Princess born 26/03/14 <3
    • piglet6
    • By piglet6 13th Mar 17, 7:56 PM
    • 1,489 Posts
    • 5,447 Thanks
    piglet6
    Thanks for all the answers about fruit - I was wondering whether I was worrying unnecessarily, but reading all your advice, I think I'll try and stick to mainly Speed fruit and go back to veggies (which I love, so could easily eat my speed in vegetables!).

P x
    SW - 29½lbs lost in 2017...
    • shala_moo
    • By shala_moo 13th Mar 17, 8:02 PM
    • 3,198 Posts
    • 26,761 Thanks
    shala_moo
    Hugs to all you poorlies out there

Chart time for this weeks results!

SOTW* is.... WHIPLASHY with a loss of 5.0lbs!!

Congratulations!

*SOTW is the person who has lost the most weight this week, but also had a loss or sts last week.

Mortgage = £166,050£124,896.91
    Mortgage Offset % = 26.05%
    Mortgage Neutral Date = Dec 2036 Feb 2027
    SW target - 54lb/31.5lb
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 13th Mar 17, 8:05 PM
    • 4,745 Posts
    • 31,567 Thanks
    joedenise
    LLS sounds like a good idea to keep a food diary for a few days but you really need to see a Dr as soon as you can if the pain is that bad. Your health should come before work!

You may have missed it but oats are now 40g for HEB not 35g so enjoy the extra 5g! It may not sound much but I definitely notice I stay fuller for longer since it's been increased!

Piglet - if you want to have all your Speed as veg there is absolutely no reason not to! Mine is mainly veg but occasionally have fruit for pud in the evening, and not necessary all Speed.

Denise
    • Moneysaverme
    • By Moneysaverme 13th Mar 17, 8:35 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    Moneysaverme
    Thanks MATRON MIDGE,

That's why I couldn't find the squaffles!! I'll try the fresh aisle next time.
    • MissTeach
    • By MissTeach 13th Mar 17, 8:53 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 325 Thanks
    MissTeach
    I love the squaffles and the butternut crinkle chips. I spray them with coconut frylight and they are lovely.

Today has been good food wise:

B: Hot water and lemon, melon and ham
    L: Salad with mushrooms, pickled onions and ham; satsuma, pear and weight watchers yoghurt
    D: Curried Veg soup (carrot, swede, onions) with some chunks of ham for dunking

HeA: 250ml Alpro dark chocolate almond milk used to make a mocha
    HeB: 2 x hifi bars
    Syns: 11 syns for 2 tesco toffee cream meringues.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

445Posts Today

4,267Users online

Martin's Twitter