Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shala_moo
    • By shala_moo 26th Feb 17, 5:02 PM
    • 3,239Posts
    • 27,153Thanks
    shala_moo
    Get in the swing for Spring - Slimming World support thread 2017
    • 26th Feb 17, 5:02 PM
    Get in the swing for Spring - Slimming World support thread 2017 26th Feb 17 at 5:02 PM
    Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you………go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list – so that’s pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice and one Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables

We have a Facebook group open to anyone joining us on this thread; to join please mention it in your post or drop Lushlifesaver a PM and an existing member can send you an invite.
    Last edited by shala_moo; 26-02-2017 at 5:29 PM.
    Mortgage = £166,050£124,896.91
    Mortgage Offset % = 26.05%
    Mortgage Neutral Date = Dec 2036 Feb 2027
    SW target - 54lb/31.5lb
Page 24
    • Whiplashy
    • By Whiplashy 12th Mar 17, 8:35 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 987 Thanks
    Whiplashy
    I'm so behind on the thread. I've been really sick all week so haven't been on plan, but I've been eating very little anyway. -5 lb for me. Not going to lie, I'm really pleased Even though I know it's just lack of food and I'll probably gain most back next week. Getting better now but still feel pretty bad. Going to try get back somewhat on plan tomorrow. Plan for the week is to save all my syns because it's Paddy's day on Friday which means a whole lot of partying next weekend Fingers crossed I'll be up to it! Damage limitation between now and then!

Hope everyone's having a good week. I'll try and catch up on the thread tomorrow. I'm only on page 19!
    • Cazzaswfc
    • By Cazzaswfc 12th Mar 17, 8:57 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 545 Thanks
    Cazzaswfc
    STS for this week

So frustrating, would rather have a gain (I think) at least you know that was due to slip ups and a good night out!

Anyway toys back in the pram....... I know it happens, so, will try SP meals where possible and make sure I drink plenty water (feeling bloated)

Tommorow menu

Almond quark and raspberries

Dinner, salad chicken LF mayo 2 syns
    2 sasumas

Tea, diet coke chicken, carrots and poss bns chips (other speed veg if not)
    MFW 2017 No 41 £696.00/£1000
    Mortgage at December 2015. £55003.41
    Mortgage at December 2016. £51173.04
    Current MF date November 2034

Stunner for Summer: 3/14
    • esmy
    • By esmy 12th Mar 17, 9:01 PM
    • 762 Posts
    • 2,122 Thanks
    esmy
    Crikey, this thread does move fast!!

Happy birthday Maman and belated happy birthday Shala.

This weekend's been a bit of a disaster on the SW front - meal out last night which would have been acceptable without accompanying (and before... and after...) alcohol. I haven't eaten like that since I started SW in January! As penance I gave away my Yorkshire pudding with Sunday lunch to my brother.

Back on it with a vengeance tomorrow - I need to get that stone award this week!!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Mar 17, 9:10 PM
    • 46,812 Posts
    • 167,200 Thanks
    beanielou
    Happy birthday Maman.
    Hope you had a lovely day xx
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • mrs motivated
    • By mrs motivated 12th Mar 17, 9:20 PM
    • 1,103 Posts
    • 4,236 Thanks
    mrs motivated
    Happy days...after a tough couple of weeks I weighed in and a 3lb loss
    Well Behaved women seldom make history

Accessible EF #152 £1000/£1000

Vets EF £2000/£2000
    • maman
    • By maman 12th Mar 17, 9:40 PM
    • 16,399 Posts
    • 98,010 Thanks
    maman
    Thanks for all the good wishes everyone, I've had a great day. DH and I went to see Viceroy's House which was good and then a meal. I was surprisingly good and had steak and salad so only syns were in chips. Could have been much, much worse. Plenty of wine syns but that's normal for a weekend.

I'll stay on plan until Wednesday as best I can but haven't bought in much fresh food because of holiday.

New week tomorrow. Onwards and upwards!
    • piglet6
    • By piglet6 12th Mar 17, 10:42 PM
    • 1,508 Posts
    • 5,621 Thanks
    piglet6
    Change of plan on dinner...again! Was hungry and lazy when I got home, so had a Naked Noodle Singapore Curry pot. Still 0 syns, but no speed... So I tried to make up for it with some raspberries and strawberries afterwards!

Plan for tomorrow:

B: Cheese (HExA) omelette with mushrooms & tomatoes
    L: Cauliflower & horseradish soup
    D: Pork casserole (pork cooked with onions, celery, carrots and parsnips), served with leeks, cauliflower and probably extra carrots. Maybe some potato wedges, but not sure it'll need it.

HExB still floating...

P x
    SW - 29½lbs lost in 2017...
    • chocolateteddy
    • By chocolateteddy 12th Mar 17, 10:52 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 3,197 Thanks
    chocolateteddy
    Been ill since Wednesday with Tonsillitis on very strong antibiotics for 10 days. Because I couldn't swallow I wasn't eating very much and wasn't able to weigh in on thursday as normal. Made it to a class on saturday to find a loss of 3 1/2 lbs this week And My 1 1/2 stone award I know now I am eating again there may not be a loss this thursday but I am on plan so hopefully it will stay off.
    Thanks to MSE savings we got to go to Disneyworld Florida.

Slimming World Target - Lose 60 lbs
    Journey started 14th Nov 2016
    Weight loss to date 27 lbs
    • piglet6
    • By piglet6 12th Mar 17, 11:25 PM
    • 1,508 Posts
    • 5,621 Thanks
    piglet6
    May I ask a question of the more experienced SWers, please?

Do you monitor your fruit intake?

The reason I ask is that I am quite new to eating fruit. I've always been more of a veg person, but since starting SW I have been trying to eat more fruit.

But I am aware that the sugar content in fruit is obviously quite high, and I wondered whether eating a lot of fruit would hamper losses for this reason. So although I know that fruit is free, and we can eat as much free stuff as we like, I wondered whether I should be careful with "unlimited fruit" - much in the same way as unlimited "free" yoghurts...?!

Thanks in advance!

P x
    SW - 29½lbs lost in 2017...
    • greentiger
    • By greentiger 13th Mar 17, 12:29 AM
    • 1,917 Posts
    • 13,857 Thanks
    greentiger
    Catching up.

Well done, esmy, Denise, piglet, beanie, pixtotts, Mwm, Tete, Midge, maman, TIE, gts, Lizzie, whiplashy, mrs motivated, chocolateteddy and ali.

That is fantastic, MissTeach. You must be thrilled. (I don’t miss teaching either!)

Great result re tix, Mrs_R.

Happy birthday, shala.

Hiya, smallpackages. There are lots of clever folk here who can help you out.
    Hello, JayII.

Happy birthday, maman. To where are you off? Have a thoroughly decadent time of it anyway.

Thanks for the welcome back, tweets and Lois. We didn’t go to the falls this time. We had a ‘mountain safari’, but the big beasties were hiding. Not surprised as we’ve been whale watching several times and have yet to see a whale – although I did see a beached one once, nothing to do with watching for one.

Well what will tomorrow bring (apart from a gain, that is)?

Pre Breakfast: nothing – the cupboards are bare – unless I can steal a banana at my daughter’s house when I go for DGS!
    Breakfast: assorted fruits
    Lunch: ham & veg omelette, salad
    Dinner: chicken Kiev (2 ½ ), chips, veg
    Syns: 2 ½
    That’ll leave me hexa and hexb and 12 ½ syns. I should cope.
    I have a pretty clear week until Wednesday when I will be at friend’s in the afternoon – biscuit/cake danger there. From Friday until Sunday DGS is staying with us, so meals will be tailored more to what he likes. However, he’s the boy who rarely eats sweets, cakes, chocolate etc. He also has some sort of internal limiter so he’ll maybe have a plain chocolate digestive (ugh!) and that is his quota for the day. His mum and dad don’t know how he got this limiter, but we all wish we had one too!
    Stashbusting 133/200
    17 in 17 Challenge 11/17
    Reading Challenge 16/40
    Film Challenge 27/52
    • Moneysaverme
    • By Moneysaverme 13th Mar 17, 7:48 AM
    • 186 Posts
    • 1,516 Thanks
    Moneysaverme
    1.5 loss today.

Yay, I've hit the stone mark!! Lost 15 lbs in total. Very happy, just got to keep it going now.

Have to run, off to work, will catch up later. Good luck to all x
    Weight loss 2017 - 21.5 lbs
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 13th Mar 17, 8:06 AM
    • 1,485 Posts
    • 6,830 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Well done on the loss MoneySaverMe

Piglet when it comes to fruit I have similar concerns to you, as I could quite happily have my 1/3 speed as all fruit and no veg.
    I personally try to not have more than 2 portions of fruit a day, and try to make as much of my 1/3 speed veg as possible.
    Not sure if it makes a difference to the weight loss, but I think it helps keep my diet more balanced.

Today's plan is to get back on track after the weekend. I did really badly
    Need to try and rectify some of the damage before tomorrows weigh in!

Breakfast - Overnight oats
    Lunch - ham and cottage cheese salad and birthday cake
    Dinner - speedy chilli

HA - milk and cheese
    HB - oats
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 50.5 lb
    Last updated: 1st August 2017
    • Maisie M
    • By Maisie M 13th Mar 17, 8:29 AM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 12,687 Thanks
    Maisie M
    Hi all
    Just a quicky as need to get ready for work - not sure where the time has gone this morning.

Breakfast: Peanut butter on toast with berrues and DG coffee
    Lunch: chicken, apple, satsumas and yoghurt
    dinner: Stir fried prawns with noodles
    SPC - #210 2014 - £178.11
    • Lois Lane
    • By Lois Lane 13th Mar 17, 9:11 AM
    • 3,434 Posts
    • 14,265 Thanks
    Lois Lane
    Morning all

Well done to everyone reporting losses this week, there are some great results coming in, sadly I'm not one of them. STS for me Shala. Hope the poorly people feel better very soon.

Piglet - I eat very little free fruit but I don't restrict speed fruit beyond having sensible portions, and I don't eat them as snacks very often. I used to eat lots of tropical fruit - bananas, mango, and pineapple were all regular items in my shopping trolley, but not any more. I've also stopped buying grapes as often, so I mainly eat oranges/mandarins, apples and strawberries at the moment, in the summer I'll buy stone fruits.

Have a good week everyone, have a great holiday Maman.

LL
    • Haylaluru
    • By Haylaluru 13th Mar 17, 10:01 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    Haylaluru
    Morning everyone.

Reading through all the fabulous losses this week well done everyone!!

Managed to stay on plan yesterday which is a small victory for me so here's today's plan.

Breakfast: Wheaties with 2 strawberries and a small banana.
    Lunch: HM Spiced Carrot and Sweet Potato soup.
    Dinner: Tinned Mackerel Salad (after lots of recommendations I've got the mustard one to try) usual speedy salad stuff with pickled beetroot and red cabbage.
    Snacks: Plain Skyr with a bit of fruit salad.

No syns planned for today, maybe a slice of toast and extra light cheese triangle if I need something later tonight. Don't want to spend them on sweet stuff as I'm not confident my off switch is working properly again yet.
    • lantanna
    • By lantanna 13th Mar 17, 11:13 AM
    • 2,546 Posts
    • 18,798 Thanks
    lantanna
    Morning,

Already had a large fall this morning to deal with at work and the employee away to hospital.

I've had one of my freak gains this morning! Up 4 lbs from Saturday

Hoping its just from the weights in the gym on Saturday. It actually cant be anything else.
    3 stone 13.5 lbs to target

• maman
    • By maman 13th Mar 17, 11:56 AM
    • 16,399 Posts
    • 98,010 Thanks
    maman
    Well done on your losses and shinys msm and chocolate teddy.

It's scary when you have those gains lantanna but it's not real fat IYSWIM. Hopefully it'll disappear very soon.

piglet, I know what you mean about fruit. Sugar is sugar however natural. I'm also very suspect of filling up on as much free food as you like. I think it's important to have the third Speed (at least) across a day whatever you're eating. Except for a rare banana I look on free fruit rather than Speed fruit as a missed opportunity. I'd say I have 90%+ of my Speed as vegetables especially as I rarely have Speed with breakfast and try not to snack between my (large) meals. I think SW is aware of the potential problem which is why some fruits were taken off the Speed list a while back. So I'd say eat fruit if you enjoy it but stick to Speed fruit whenever possible. If you aren't fussed then you'll see weightloss with vegetables.

I'm going to Prague and Budapest greentiger, flying out on Wednesday, 3 days in each with a train journey in between. I'm anticipating that the meals will be quite carb heavy but I'll worry about it when I get back.

Today's EE plan:
    B: NAS grapefruit, HEB porage, HEA milk
    L: probably onion omelette with pickles
    D: baked haddock, new potatoes, cauli and broccoli
    Syns: squirt of syrup and tempted to make cheese sauce with the veg

I bought BoB milk for the first time last week. I needed a top up from our little Co-op. Shame Aldi don't sell it as it really doesn't taste like skimmed. Does anyone know how much for a HEA as I can't find it.
    • PerthLady91
    • By PerthLady91 13th Mar 17, 12:36 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    PerthLady91
    Lost 1.5 lbs last week (week 2) and my weigh days are now Fridays which are a lot easier!!
    Starting SW Feb 2017 - Target to lose 4 STONE 8 LBS (64lbs)
    12 weeks down (21/04/2017) - 19 lbs gone forever
    • Abbafan1972
    • By Abbafan1972 13th Mar 17, 12:45 PM
    • 5,072 Posts
    • 168,490 Thanks
    Abbafan1972
    I had a shock loss of 2lb at WI on Saturday morning, which means I am now only 2.5lbs away from my target!

I confess I do weigh myself at home occasionally and have found that the scales at group are 1lb under mine, so that's not too bad.

Have had a few things I shouldn't over the weekend - I can never stick to the plan properly over the weekend, but when I'm at work in the week, I'm more disciplined.

Hope everyone has a good week. x
    Weight on 01/08/15 - 17st 5lb
    Target weight - 10st
    Target reached - 20/05/17

Greatest Loser for SW group 2016 & 2017
    Woman of the year award 2016
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 13th Mar 17, 3:57 PM
    • 4,593 Posts
    • 33,973 Thanks
    joedenise

I bought BoB milk for the first time last week. I needed a top up from our little Co-op. Shame Aldi don't sell it as it really doesn't taste like skimmed. Does anyone know how much for a HEA as I can't find it.
    Originally posted by maman
    Just found it on the website and it's 300ml as HEA; think that's the same as all skimmed milks seem to be. I use the 1% milk and that doesn't taste like skimmed either and it's easy to get locally

Denise
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,166Posts Today

9,774Users online

Martin's Twitter