Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shala_moo
    • By shala_moo 26th Feb 17, 5:02 PM
    • 3,241Posts
    • 27,176Thanks
    shala_moo
    Get in the swing for Spring - Slimming World support thread 2017
    • 26th Feb 17, 5:02 PM
    Get in the swing for Spring - Slimming World support thread 2017 26th Feb 17 at 5:02 PM
    Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you………go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list – so that’s pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice and one Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables

We have a Facebook group open to anyone joining us on this thread; to join please mention it in your post or drop Lushlifesaver a PM and an existing member can send you an invite.
    Last edited by shala_moo; 26-02-2017 at 5:29 PM.
    Mortgage = £166,050£124,896.91
    Mortgage Offset % = 26.05%
    Mortgage Neutral Date = Dec 2036 Feb 2027
    SW target - 54lb/31.5lb
Page 22
    • chocomonsta
    • By chocomonsta 11th Mar 17, 10:33 AM
    • 454 Posts
    • 883 Thanks
    chocomonsta
    Morning all

Maintained for me
    • TakeItEazy
    • By TakeItEazy 11th Mar 17, 12:33 PM
    • 2,190 Posts
    • 14,749 Thanks
    TakeItEazy
    Hello all

Happy belated birthday Shala 🎉 Sorry I missed it, glad you had a nice time

WI with .6lb loss so bang on target again. Need to stop eating crisps though

Had a near perfect 2 weeks with young man, just let himself down Friday afternoon. He was very tired and the routine was changed so p.e was afternoon instead of morning. Not keen on p.e at best of times so resorted to hitting out again (not me for a change).

Bit fed up with senco at moment as similar child in reception will start full days and as I already support a (sweetheart) child in same class I'm now expected to support the violent one bearing in mind it's a violent child that's effected my health to the point I'm on meds for it . Well I'm saying sorry but NO. Let the morning TA carry on supporting her as she knows how to deal with the tantrums.
    Sorry for rant

Anyway well done losers, hugs to those in Need and Birthday wishes for forthcoming Birthdays 🎂🎂🎂🎉🎉🎉🍸
    Its not what you do but the way that you do it, thats what get results
    Keep the Faith All

Heartbroken 12.12.13
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 11th Mar 17, 2:16 PM
    • 2,762 Posts
    • 6,180 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Well I lost 1.5 lbs today....a little disappointed as I've been swimming 3 times this week including last night, missing the rugby & associated drinking but I did have 2 slices of a dominos pizza on Tuesday (thanks hubby for waving it under my nose lol)

That means in the next 4 weeks I have to lose 10 lbs ...not going to happen is it lol

I've also decided that I'm not going to sign up for any more countdowns....I'm a little naffed off with you having to book holidays for the entire period of the countdown at the start as it doesn't allow any last minute holidays.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - the Argos Card!
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 11th Mar 17, 3:48 PM
    • 4,638 Posts
    • 34,384 Thanks
    joedenise
    Weekends are always hard for me too Wiz. I think we just relax a bit too much (I know I do!). DH doesn't help either - he always opens a bottle of wine and before we know it the whole bottle is gone! Sometimes he'll open another one and I'll say I don't want any more but he still pours me one out and then once it's by me I just drink it without thinking!

Trying to be a bit better this weekend and really want to lose at least 1.5lb!

Today's plan:

B - bacon, egg, beans, mushrooms, fried up LO new pots
    L - jacket potato, tuna mayo (1 syn); lettuce, cucumber, tomato, spring onions, beetroots, pickled onions, HM syn free onion chutney
    D - HM oxtail stew - oxtail, carrots, turnips, swede, leeks, parsnip; will probably have new potatoes with it or maybe mash, depending on which DH wants. May also have a slice of WM bread.
    S - 2 Ryvita (or 4 if I don't have bread at dinner time); with quark, ham & cucumber

HEA - milk
    HEB - 1 slice bread; 2 Ryvita or4 Ryvita
    Syns - 2 Tbs LTL mayo - 1 syn; wine 3 glasses 15

Have had a few syns over since Thursday but easily reined back in during the week.

Denise
    • maman
    • By maman 11th Mar 17, 8:10 PM
    • 16,663 Posts
    • 99,533 Thanks
    maman
    Good to hear you putting your foot down tie . You don't need any more violent pupils.
    wiz , why don't you change your WI day to Friday? The first week you may have to take a hit as it wouldn't be a complete week but after that you'd have a chance to cut back on syns if you'd but**ered up the weekend.

DH and I went in to the city centre today and had lunch in Pret. I had their salad Nicoise but noticed they've gone back to olives (actually a single sliced olive) rather than capers last time I had it.

Today's EE plan :
    B: NAS grapefruit, 2 boiled eggs, HEB toast, HEA milk for drinks
    L: salad Nicoise
    D: roast chicken, SW roasties and parsnips, cauli, broccoli, cabbage
    Syns: lunch 3?, gravy, wine syns

Decided to have a roast tonight as we're out tomorrow for my birthday. I love my roast and don't want to miss out!
    • Haylaluru
    • By Haylaluru 11th Mar 17, 9:09 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    Haylaluru
    Urrrrgh well a terrible week weigh in wise for me with 1.75lbs on. I'm quite annoyed with myself that I'm sat here disappointed with the gain yet still thinking about going and raiding the cupboards! IDIOT.
    The gain was thoroughly deserved. I've been testing slow cooker recipies all week checking how camping friendly they are but then getting carried away and eating far too much of it instead of portioning it up for hm ready meals.
    I wish amazon sold willpower!
    On a positve note I've discovered jacket potatoes can be made in the slow cooker (I always thought you had to have liquid in a slow cooker) and the slow cooker lasagne was fabulous.
    • wizkid1
    • By wizkid1 11th Mar 17, 10:32 PM
    • 1,832 Posts
    • 15,057 Thanks
    wizkid1
    Maman,I think your'e right ,I will try anything,. I really don't know what's wrong with me. I may be getting complacent during the week and then, come Friday I go to pot having a bit of this and a piece if that , or a meal I know I shouldn't have. I just can't stick to my plan.
    Anyway, this is my so called Sunday plan.....

Breakfast. Overnight oats B with f f yoghurt and fruit berries

Lunch.. ham salad with an egg and beetroot. Clementine.

Dinner.. pork steak, stuffing ball syns ??Garden peas carrots couple of prigs cauliflower. Gravy 2 syns new potatoes.

Extra 2 crispbread inc butter 5 syns.
    All my syns I think.
    • smallpackages
    • By smallpackages 11th Mar 17, 10:45 PM
    • 9,396 Posts
    • 17,912 Thanks
    smallpackages
    not working for me
    i was at a club last year and lost a stone (i want to lose 6) stopped over christmas then rejoined with my daughter. my girl has lost nearly 3 stone and I have lost next to nothing. admittedly it took me ages to get into it again but for the past month i have been sticking to it strictly . i lost 6 one week, 1.5 the next then maintained and this week went along feeling great with a flatter tummy convinced i would have a loss as i have been doing great with the plan only to be told i have gained 1.5 lb. my leader said she is really concerned and i felt ashamed at her comment she is adamant there is something wrong in what I'm doing but i use the slimming world site and fill in every thing i eat.
    the only thing thats different is that I've had shingles and been unwell/ cannt stay awake for the last fortnight but the leader says it wouldnt be affectinng it. she maintains i dot need to be very active if i stick to the plan which i have. i am so fed up
    "that grady! won't sit next to a black child in church! but eats eggs, shoot right out a chickens !!!!!!" from fried green tomatoes

MSE is where my friends live
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 11th Mar 17, 11:53 PM
    • 2,762 Posts
    • 6,180 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    i was at a club last year and lost a stone (i want to lose 6) stopped over christmas then rejoined with my daughter. my girl has lost nearly 3 stone and I have lost next to nothing. admittedly it took me ages to get into it again but for the past month i have been sticking to it strictly . i lost 6 one week, 1.5 the next then maintained and this week went along feeling great with a flatter tummy convinced i would have a loss as i have been doing great with the plan only to be told i have gained 1.5 lb. my leader said she is really concerned and i felt ashamed at her comment she is adamant there is something wrong in what I'm doing but i use the slimming world site and fill in every thing i eat.
    the only thing thats different is that I've had shingles and been unwell/ cannt stay awake for the last fortnight but the leader says it wouldnt be affectinng it. she maintains i dot need to be very active if i stick to the plan which i have. i am so fed up
    Originally posted by smallpackages
    Ah small it's so disheartening when the leaders look at you and basically say you're lying when you say you've stuck to the plan.

(My mum whose a diabetic gets the same look when her sugar level has gone up & she says she hasn't eaten anything sweet)

The only thing I would suggest is that there are some real fountains of knowledge here & im sure they wouldn't mind analysing your menu if you were to post it.

You never know perhaps there's something you're doing that the leader isn't picking up on.

Stupid question time .....you are measuring milk if you use it? I found I've started having weight losses now that I've gone back to measuring my daily allowance & keeping it separate.

Also I know that they say you can have weight losses without exercising but again I find for me that I need to exercise if I'm to get a weight loss
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

• Haylaluru
    • By Haylaluru 12th Mar 17, 8:21 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    Haylaluru
    So after a not too bad day yesterday where the only syns were for a tablespoon of coleslaw and about the same of marie rose sauce which wouldn't have broke the bank i ended up having not 1 but 3 penguin biscuits.

So today I'm determined to stick to plan.

B melon and strawberries with ff greek yoghurt (the aldi version of 0% total. Can't remember who recommended it but it is lovely)
    L scrambled egg with fried mushroom and toms
    D roast beef dinner which will be with loads of veg. I'm not making yorkshires or roasties so I won't be tempted to over indulge. Syns today will be for gravy.

I've measured my milk for teas and haven't planned in a heb so if I do need a non fruit snack later I have alpen lights to go at. Going to try and drink loads of water today too. Really need to get back on track.
    • Lois Lane
    • By Lois Lane 12th Mar 17, 9:44 AM
    • 3,434 Posts
    • 14,265 Thanks
    Lois Lane
    You've lost 6lbs in a month, so that's not a bad result overall. When you take into account the fact that you've got health issues too, you need to give yourself a pat on the back.

Have SW started employing people with medical training as consultants now? I don't think so - your consultant can't possibly know whether your health issues have affected your weight loss. She doesn't sound very encouraging!

It's important not to compare your own results with other people's - there may be others in your group who have had awards but they might have been eating VERY unhealthily prior to joining SW. We're all different, younger people tend to lose quicker, as do men, but you can do it do, you just need to be patient.

LL
    • TakeItEazy
    • By TakeItEazy 12th Mar 17, 10:06 AM
    • 2,190 Posts
    • 14,749 Thanks
    TakeItEazy
    I agree with posting your menus here for extra help. You say you felt slimmer, did you try measuring yourself as sometimes the inches go but numbers on scales don't (if that makes sense). Have you tried some eesp days or meals to give a bit of a boost? Ermm what else? Portion control, plenty of water (I know I don't ). Or it could just be good old Mother Nature messing with your hormones (don't you just love her?)
    My only advice really is don't be disheartened just keep a plodding it will come good in the end!
    Its not what you do but the way that you do it, thats what get results
    Keep the Faith All

Heartbroken 12.12.13
    • jayII
    • By jayII 12th Mar 17, 10:19 AM
    • 39,900 Posts
    • 106,347 Thanks
    jayII
    I've just joined a new SW club (I've moved house) and your consultant sounds like the one who leads my new club. I've done SW twice before at different groups and the consultants were lovely, supportive and encouraging, but this new one is more critical and seems to take gains or 'only small losses' as a personal affront. I was cringing at the way she talked to some of the ladies last week.

As yours also seems critical, I'd take her negative comments with a big pinch of salt. As Lois says, they don't have medical training, so how can they possibly know about the effect of different illnesses on a person's body!

All the medics now say that slow weight loss is much better for us, so a 6lb overall loss over a month is perfect! I'm aiming for 1-2lbs max loss each week, because I want this to be a lifelong change, not a quick fix. I'm also determined not to worry about occasional gains, as long as the overall trend is downwards. Life is tough, so it's important to focus on the big picture and give ourselves (and our bodies) a little bit of compassion and understanding during the tough times, such as when we are ill.
    15.9.17. Balance: £10360.87/Mortg: £174,906.67

No spend on non-essentials year. To date: £

• LizzieR
    • By LizzieR 12th Mar 17, 10:20 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 1,993 Thanks
    LizzieR
    Not had much time to post again this week, but still plodding on. Loss of 1/2lb for me, and finally achieved my 4 1/2 stone award It's been a long time since i got my last award and I seem to have been on a bit of a rollercoaster for the last few months, but 4 weeks of losses in a row should help to keep me on track....

Small packages, just to echo some of the comments above about the impact of health issues on weightloss - I have weeks when I'm convinced I should have a loss as I've been 100% on plan, but if my IBS is having a flare up, or I have a cold etc then the scales tend to become a bit random, and I've recognised that even when I start to feel better it can take a few weeks for things to go back to normal. I think some SW group leaders don't recognise that our bodies have inbuilt systems to deal with illness which don't necessarily follow the SW plan - we're more complicated than that. I just find I have to plod on with it and keep believing that it does work in the long run and have faith that my body knows what it's doing - if it holds onto weight some weeks 'cos I'm ill, stressed, tired, etc it's doing it as part of its self protection mechanism.

As has also been said, everyone's weightloss journey will be different - we've all got different patterns to change. I'm staggered at the losses some people seem t get week in, week out, and it does make me wonder what they were eating before they started SW. As someone who doesn't drink alcohol, eat meat and has some food intolerances when I joined SW it was much more about tweaking what I ate rather than a dramatic change, so although I've a lot to lose it's a pretty slow journey for me, but then it took years to gain the weight, so it's gonna take some time to lose it. I just can't compare my situation to anyone else's.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 12th Mar 17, 10:22 AM
    • 2,762 Posts
    • 6,180 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    I meant to add small do you weigh / measure anything you're supposed to syn?

I don't usually stay to class when there's a cover leader taking the class but I stayed to one and she was talking about the pictures people put online of their food. Anyway once she saw a picture of a meal that, in her words, had lashings of mayonnaise and the comment was one syn for the mayo.

She said it was all she could do not to post something saying my **** is that one syn!!!

• LizzieR
    • By LizzieR 12th Mar 17, 10:23 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 1,993 Thanks
    LizzieR
    Quick question I forgot to add in my last post....
    when a SW recipe uses a muller light, can anyone tell me what would be the equivalent weight in natural yoghurt? As a veggie I don't eat muller light so have no idea what size the pot is and end up ignoring some recipes I'd quite like to use.
    Thanks!
    • wizkid1
    • By wizkid1 12th Mar 17, 10:28 AM
    • 1,832 Posts
    • 15,057 Thanks
    wizkid1
    Good morning everyone, I am ashamed to say that I have....

GAINED 2 lb. I will say no more apart from it's disgusting
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 12th Mar 17, 10:35 AM
    • 2,762 Posts
    • 6,180 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Quick question I forgot to add in my last post....
    when a SW recipe uses a muller light, can anyone tell me what would be the equivalent weight in natural yoghurt? As a veggie I don't eat muller light so have no idea what size the pot is and end up ignoring some recipes I'd quite like to use.
    Thanks!
    Originally posted by LizzieR
    A pot's 175g ....or at least that's the toffee one!

• shala_moo
    • By shala_moo 12th Mar 17, 10:58 AM
    • 3,241 Posts
    • 27,176 Thanks
    shala_moo
    Happy Birthday Maman hope you have a fab day xx

Welcome to the board small packages and jay11.

wiz it's not disgusting, it's just a blip! We all have weeks that don't go to plan, use it as your motivation to get back on track and smash it next week

I'm still not back on track after the birthday binge although I am craving fruit and veg so might go up the shop and grab some bits for making a fruit salad etc. Really enjoying the Tesco flavoured sparkling water at the moment too, I've managed to cut down my coke consumption which is excellent and it helps with my water intake!

Hope everyone's ok xx
    Mortgage = £166,050£124,896.91
    Mortgage Offset % = 26.05%
    Mortgage Neutral Date = Dec 2036 Feb 2027
    SW target - 54lb/31.5lb
    • chocomonsta
    • By chocomonsta 12th Mar 17, 11:01 AM
    • 454 Posts
    • 883 Thanks
    chocomonsta
    Good morning everyone, I am ashamed to say that I have....

GAINED 2 lb. I will say no more apart from it's disgusting
    Originally posted by wizkid1
    Aw Whizid - don't be too hard on your self, give yourself a big hug and get back on it.

I too am struggling after having months of losses I seem to be STS most weeks with no overall loss since December I think. Looking at the wider picture, and I am happy overall.

Good luck and hugs to everyone.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,766Posts Today

9,021Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Interesting well argued take on the Uber situation from a black cab driver... https://t.co/c1I5ta0jde

• Follow Martin