Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 25th Feb 17, 7:40 PM
    • 1,997Posts
    • 20,241Thanks
    mothernerd
    NST Muddy March Marathon
    • 25th Feb 17, 7:40 PM
    NST Muddy March Marathon 25th Feb 17 at 7:40 PM
    NST: MUDDY MARCH MARATHON

Inspired by the Zumba Twins (my niece and her wife) who completed a 10k mud run in aid of their local hospice last month and in despair at the impossibility of following Captain abundant's Winter Voyage, I have decided that in March we will run a
    Muddy March Marathon.

M March comes in like a lion and out like a lamb, they say. However March is a lot more varied than that and usually manages to throw a bit of everything at us. So it is, in life, and on our debt free journey. Some months we sail through, accumulating NSDs, knocking chunks off our debts. Others we struggle, barely recovering from one setback before the next hits us. This March, we will be adopting the American Indian mantra
    Live in the Spirit of the Season”

Whatever the weather throws at us (or life or debt free journey) we will embrace it, enjoy the challenge, celebrate and commiserate with each other. We will relish any signs of Spring approaching but will also splash through the puddles (or slush), fizzle through the fog and giggle at the gales. The March Challenge runs from 1st March to midnight on the 31st March.

U Use it or Lose it is our second theme for the month. Both words have many conotations so from using what we have in the cupboard, reusing something for a repair, putting skills we have to good use and losing (rehoming/ selling/ giving to the charity shop for it to find someone who loves it) any unwanted/ needed possessions (captain abundant advised us to look through out wardrobes last month) and turn them into cash or return them to productive life. We are all short of space (and time and money) so each day I will try to give a helpful example and welcome you to add your own. Useful ways of making the most of what we have and using what we have wisely.

D Debt Free Date Do you know yours? How much should you be paying towards your debt or savings each month to reach your target. Mine was always a bit vague – basically “When I sell the house”. When that was done, I paid for mum's (and mine? Help – she's already deciding where 'we' will go on holiday) much needed bungalow and paid all my debts. Going forward, not having the burden of two sets of household bills is a great improvement. I have a very modest income but it is sufficient.

D Debt or Savings First An important turtle rule, instigated by our original leader Ninja Saving Kat*. Anything left after debt (savings) payments and other regular outgoings (dd for utilities, council tax, rent or mortgage) is for you to live on (food, petrol or bus fares to get to work, 'extras'). If it is not enough, how will you bridge the gap – extra income or cutting back, phones, tvs, alcohol and 'classes' are all choices. If your budget is tight, how do these extras compare to your need to get rid of your debt/ buy a house/ retire early? I am not suggesting that you forgo fun. Turtles love fun. We love free fun best of all. But when you have a serious debt problem you need to look at your past choices and how you go forward. * See turtle back story at post 2

Y You will set all your BUDGETS before the start of the month. You are in control of your money, the money (or spending is not in control of you). (I want to sing 'You're not the boss of me' from Malcolm in the Middle). Food, travel (petrol, public transport, maintenance), any kids clubs (this can be put into a separate 'purse' or 'envelope' at the start of the month and will then not affect your NSDs. All regular outgoings including 'personal' spending money.

M Monitor Your Goals. Misstara encouraged us to set goals at the beginning of the year and Captain abundant asked us to check them last month. As we enter a new month, we should do so again. Are you reaching your current goals? If you are meeting your current target(s) easily then maybe it is time to move forward a step and stretch yourself? If it isn't happening, you need to revisit your goals, revise your first step (better to do 10 minutes exercise a day rather than fail to get to the gym, repeatedly). Identify any snags/ obstacles and work out how to overcome them. * BHF suggestions on setting goals and keeping on target in post 15(as suggested by Captain abundant). New comers feel welcome to think about and post your own goals for the year.

A Avoid takeaways, canteens (unless bargainaceous subsidised ones), vending machines, costalot coffee and all their ilk. Take your lunch to work (from home) every day and where possible take your own food or snacks for hospital appointments (if travelling or out at meal times), cinema visits, days out. Some turtles allow themselves some purchases from this section (budgetted for as a special treat). If you are stuck and have to purchase, try to support a local cause or cafe (ie 'friends' cafe), rather than a chain. The rule is there because small spends ('only a drink')like this can add up to a large amount over the year – see Martin's demotivator and making your own lunches (and meals at home from scratch) can give huge financial benefits as well as being healthier (no hidden sugar, fat, additives).

R Remember those in Need. Donate to your local food bank or charity of your choice. Money, goods or time. Remember the numerous charity shops when clearing your house – your unwanted item could be just what someone needs. Apologies to those with children whose schools are constantly demanding 'donations' (especially making you pay through the nose for uniform and then charging you for your children not wearing it).

C Cupboard audit (+ fridge and freezer), Meal Planning and Cooking from Scratch are all great aids to saving money. What do you have in, what can you make with it, what do you need to buy. Again several turtles are full of ideas for recipes, special diets, how to use that bag of whatever that has been sitting at the back of the cupboard since the year dot. We can even get children to eat veg. Save time by knowing what you are going to cook or cook at weekends and days off and have hm ready meals.

H HELP and Advice are always available. If you don't understand something, need clarification or are just drowning in despair, just yell. The turtle gang will respond.

M Mistakes. We all make them. We all slip up, forget things, go off the rails. One slip is not a failure, do not write off the month. Get yourself back on track as soon as possible. Don't be afraid to ask for help or ideas for how to solve a particular problem

A Avoid temptation. Retailers want your money. You do not have to give it to them. They have all sorts of tricks to get you to spend. Be wary. Product xyz will not transform your life. Focus on what you want to achieve. What is a need and what is a 'want'? Who or what is driving that 'want'. Check your mood (applies to eating things you shouldn't as well). Are you sad, fed up, angry, bored. Think about that feeling (all feelings are valid). Will that purchase (or comestible) solve the problem? How else can you deal with it or make yourself feel better?

R Repairs Every little helps. Last month I was congrtatulated on being able to sew/ alter my own clothes. It's a skill I am glad to have (largely self-taught although surrounded by sewers). However something as simple as knowing how to sew on a button can help. Would you throw out a blouse (which cost you £30? - sorry I only know charity shop prices) because a button fell off? Many people do. Fix something in your house or wardrobe this month and feel good about it. The days are getting longer. Make a list of small household jobs and repairs that need doing (even tidying 'that' drawer which never gets sorted). Start with the things you can do yourself for little or no cost.

A Attend regularly. Daily posting is recommended. If you can't face posting (usually when we have done something wrong) carry on reading. We mostly confess after a day or two and the turtles will help you aviod the 'mistake' in future.

T Try to follow the rules. Turtle rules are tough (and can be confusing at first). You sign up to the rules and should try your best to follow them all. No turtle is ever left behind. Think of the rules as woodworking tools. A hammer (something we can all use?) knocks nails into things/ joins things together, sometimes a bit crudely. Think about saws (all different types for different jobs), chisels and planes and different fixings (screws, nuts and bolts). Think about the fine furniture you could make if you could use all those tools properly.

Turtle rules are like those tools. Some are simple and effective – if you avoid shops (and the internet) like the plague, you will save money. Some are more subtle, may require skill in applying, take longer to fully utilise but he more rules you use, regularly, the easier it becomes to reach your target.

H Health. Another important facet of the turtle gang. I promised you a marathon, we will be getting down and dirty with lots of sweaty lycra (optional) exercise. Lots of turtles have weight loss as a goal and for that we need to look at food intake and getting moving. Healthy eating I am going to be boring and say eat your veg. Very few of us are getting enough. Healthy exercise check your existing target and step it up 5 days a week. Do a bit more (extra class/ add to the length of your walk or run/ do more at home). Mental Health lots of us are suffering setbacks, low moods and stress. I will not be setting weekly mini-challenges this month but I have seen a 21 day wellness exercise which I might quote and I also have the book of mindfulness exercises. I will be continuing the daily gratitudes, you decide if you want to.

O Outside. Lovely place. Get out there as often as possible, soak up any available daylight (it is really sunlight, I promise, even if it doesn't feel like it). Enjoy those invigorating breezes (imagine you are on a tropical island, it's all a question of degree). Helps to boost your immune system.

N No Spend Days. Aim for 15. If you made it in February, March is easy because you have days on which to spend. If you didn't quite make it, believe you can do it this time and plan to do so. If you do not follow the NSD target as you have another way that works for you, carry on. The original idea of NSDs is to avoid 'popping into' the shops for one or two things and coming out with a basket load. If you are disciplined enough to buy only what is on your list (ys or yellow sticker goods are exempt, provided it is something you will use or a treat you would only buy at a greatly reduced price). Medical necessities (including hospital parking), ys goodies (as long as nothing else is purchased) and filling up with petrol (again as long as it is from a set petrol budget – or diesel- and nothing else is purchsed) will not lose you a NSD. Unfortunately chocolate is not a medical necessity.
    Last edited by mothernerd; 26-02-2017 at 12:21 PM.
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy
    NST Aug #2 SFD 9/16 Spent £50.80/ £100
    Debt free and EF January 2016 No mortgage
    Progress through plodding, baby steps and purposeful pottering
Page 22
    • Calling14
    • By Calling14 18th Mar 17, 8:46 PM
    • 2,448 Posts
    • 18,183 Thanks
    Calling14
    Mothernerd glad you managed to avoid disaster. Noticed in local paper Large pet shop refused elderly gentlemen use of their facilities and he soiled himself. Awful policies big companies have and total lack of any toilets on some shopping parks.

Quick check in from me wet day so in house most day with gk. Made cake ate it but a SFD.

Grateful for new Hoover arriving well I had to reuse my old glass dust cylinder on it but so happy and still have 4 yrs cover left

Walk with gs this afternoon coloured squares in bit paper and he had to find flowers, stones to match the colours. Pinterest idea

Peace when all kids go
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 NOW 1730
    PAYDBX 2017 #16 2570/4300 DFD 10/17 ?
    E
    Fund #9 £120/£1,000
    1 x 100 days challenge26 #3 520/ 1400 ends 13/9/17

• Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 18th Mar 17, 9:20 PM
    • 10,465 Posts
    • 69,300 Thanks
    Bobarella
    I am watching to!! I could believe she was upset about the car. I would love to own a car like that. I really dont understand people.
    Originally posted by indigowarrior
    It makes me wonder if that really is the average persons way of life? OH and I were laughing that our wardrobes are worth more than our 'wardrobes'
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe"

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 18th Mar 17, 10:16 PM
    • 1,997 Posts
    • 20,241 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Just did the ys run to buy 4 x 10p loaves - 2 mediterranean, 2 sunflower and honey. Going to make up a batch of sandwiches to freeze.

Today I am grateful for being able to sleep, for finishing my book (3 pages at a time) and for a lovely bath (and an easy clean bathroom).
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 19th Mar 17, 9:18 AM
    • 1,997 Posts
    • 20,241 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Day Nineteen
    Use It or Lose It
    I mentioned the 'leisure industry' a couple of days ago. It annoys me that many of the things that were once done from 'thrift' have been repackaged and are now sold at a premium.

A prime example is patchwork. I recovered a quilt many years ago that had originally been made by my grandmother from my grandfather's pyjamas. So squares of mainly striped material in muted colours (blue green, brown) all in brushed cotton, wonderfully soft after years of wear and washing - my grandfather died when I was six.

All patchwork was originally like this - scraps of reused fabric put together to make something new and useful. Now brand new 'designer' fabrics are sold in expensive fat quarters (or 'rolls' of pre-cut squares). Whilst I can appreciate that cutting squares isn't the most exciting job, I still find this 'new patchwork' is against the whole ethos of using what you had, not wasting anything and extending the useful life of the things you owned.

Knitting wool can be very expensive and one of the reasons I stopped making clothes was the availabilty of cheaper ready-made items - now I am astonished by 'going out' dresses made from fabric that would have been deemed to flimsy to line a dress, some things are obviously made to wear and throw away.

So what crafty hints do the crafters have. I know Apple finds bunny fabric in charity shop and I am envious of tog's free fabric (no I'm not, if my fabric stash was as big as it used to be there definitely wouldn't be room for me in my bedroom. Bicycle repairs is another one - decline of small local shops/ rise of the internet (friend or foe or a bit of both).

Day Nineteen Wellbeing
    Do one thing you have been putting off. Oh dear, it's frog day and I have one that has been nagging me.

Frogs
    There was a man who ate a frog every morning. When he was asked why, he said that, if he ate the frog first thing, everything else he did that day was easy in comparison.

So for us a frog is something (a task, a difficult phone call, having a 'talk' with someone) that you have been putting off (so the 'fear' grows).

If you really can't face it (I may bottle this don't hink it is a good idea to disturb the people concerned on a Sunday) write a frog list and aim to do one of them before the end of the month.

Inspiration

Beyond fear lies freedom.
    • abundant1972
    • By abundant1972 19th Mar 17, 10:25 AM
    • 1,173 Posts
    • 8,557 Thanks
    abundant1972
    Morning All,

So I know I have been A.W.O.L for a few days. March has been such a funny month for me. So I finally sat down last night to just STOP and reflect on what's going on. I know what I need to do now to get myself back on track... So I'm pairing it all back, and starting with something small. When that becomes routine, I'll add something more etc.

Today I am grateful for:
    • Finally feeling I have gained some clarity
    • All the comforts of home
    • A sense of direction and purpose
    Total number of NSD's so far = 10

Use it or lose it (Thur) : Charity Shops - I don't really buy anything right now, other than food and online games as part of my spend allowance. I take stuff to them, but rarely buy clothes from them. Books/CDs I'd be ok with.
    Use it or lose it (Fri) : Craft Box - I don't have kids so this one is kind of N/A.
    Use it or lose it (Sat) : Random - I'm choosing toiletries. I'm not buying anymore until I have used all the ones I have. If I really don't like them I will gift them to colleagues or a charity shop.
    Use it or lose it (Sun) : Repackaged for £££ - I don't craft, so can't comment. On a similar vein though is Supermarkets that have cheap/value (e.g.) Teabags that re-pack and sell for more - same product, different box I'm sure. Grrrr! I always buy value stuff now.

Wellbeing (Thur) : Don't complain - Ooops! Will try that one today... and be more mindful here on...
    Wellbeing (Fri) : New Playlist - I recently got 2 new CDs from my favourite band and I play them non-stop right now. Love them. I do them to death then root out old stuff.
    Wellbeing (Sat) : Hearty Breakfast - I'm not a morning person, and will skip and have an extra half hour in bed. NOT GOOD <slap!> I need to have an earlier night so I wake up refreshed, and eat something nutritious.
    Wellbeing (Sun) : Frog Day - I'm going to a garden centre in a moment to get some stuff for my houseplants (see previous Use it or lose it challenge). I've done a bit of research online, and am going to see if I can nurture them back to life. Green fingers definitely skipped a generation with me

That aside, I am doing lists everyday now, and so have a bit of a structure so I feel I have achieved something. Big hugs to all... Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
    Repay Car : Phase 2 : £0/£500 by 13/09
    Follow your heart & be true to yourself always
    Help To Buy ISA = £4483.65. EF = £1000/£4500
    NST Sept : NSD=0/16 : Food £---/£100 : Spends £---/£100
    365 Day 1p Challenge = £479.25/£667.95. £1.00 a Day = £243.00/£365.00
    Spiritual Practice =0/31. Exercise Sessions 4/14. Cash Bonus = £26/£150 + £249/£399
    • mrshubbard
    • By mrshubbard 19th Mar 17, 6:27 PM
    • 175 Posts
    • 1,136 Thanks
    mrshubbard
    I'm on a mini catch up too

So very nearly a nsd, used a mcdonalds card with scavenged stickers for a free brew but bought a doughnut, why?!! Not expensive but I wasn't really hungry and we always get a pud at mils on Sundayanyway and have a cake hubby & little man made at home.

Use it or lose it

Craft box - I have bought bits for little mans craft box as I've seen stuff discounted and he's been bought lots for pressies so no need for replenishing for many moons yet. We've got stuff in for stamping with like random lids and pot noodle pots for paint mixing.

Best examples - Probably that we like a good scavenge - made a plant pot holder for our yard out of an old bathroom corner shelf someone whizzed on our skip, took a neighbours old demolished wall and using stones to make ours, found a kids bike abandoned in a hedge with a puncture which hubby cleaned up, did some maintenance and sold for £30, got a bbq made out of some kind of cart/trolley and an old oil drum he was given by a skip company he'd bobbed into & spied in a skip.

Priced up thrift - There's an Aberkahn near us which does actually little scraps of left over fabric, all the other craft shops are lots of neatly cut squares of coordinated fabrics that'd be cheaper to buy by the metre. Ebay can be good now and then for fabric.

Wellbeing

Playlist - I don't have any playlists. I like to be surprised by what's on next and hear things I'd forgotten about so just switch about on the radio whilst I'm driving/exercising

Breakfast- with starting early I used to always skip breakfast and snack throughout the morning. Now I always make sure I eat before work - usually cereal or something to toast. On my days off I always have a more substantial breakfast and make porridge a lot ( cheap, healthy and my lttle boy loves it ) pancakes and fruit or scrambled eggs on toast are also favourites.

Frogs - there's prob a few frogs I can think of. Making a list and doing one a week is prob the way to go for me.
    1 debt vs 100 days -£100/£1600
    Debtfree by Xmas17 #161 £100/£3286
    365 day penny challenge - £94.14/£667.95
    NST - 3/16 NSDs £140.16/£250 food 0/£60spends
    Debts - CC1-£4438.89 £4393.72 CC2-4560.38 £4160.38 CC3-£10,326£10,155.85 CC4 - £3286
    • SkintTeacher
    • By SkintTeacher 19th Mar 17, 6:36 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 1,869 Thanks
    SkintTeacher
    What a weekend. A bit spendy for my liking but all affordable, within budget and I got a dress for my hen do that bought so much joy.
    Grateful for
    1) swimming with my little family
    2) messages with my sister
    3) a heart to heart with OH
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 19th Mar 17, 7:36 PM
    • 3,232 Posts
    • 27,903 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hi everyone
    I've had a lovely afternoon out catching up with a friend who I've not seen in ages. She'd put on a surprise afternoon tea for me, which was fantastic - an early birthday surprise. I went without kids and it was just brilliant because I didn't have to fret about whether or not they were behaving etc.
    It's made a massive difference to me - always enjoy a day out once I work up the nerve to do it.
    NSTAugust #13 NSD 4/15 RYSAW17 #1 £472.63 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 19th Mar 17, 7:43 PM
    • 1,053 Posts
    • 13,989 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Greent Could I have the low carb oatmeal recipe please?

I'm back at home. WM/DW on overload. DH hasn't eaten much so I have meal planned using up what's there. Only spent about £40 this month on food. I stocked up on F&V today but I don't think I'll need much more this month. Yay.

Holiday much more frugal than I expected/budgetted for. Probably something to do with only skiing on 2 afternoons rather than the entire week. I was enjoying chatting to others too much. They spent a fortune on coffee/hot chocolate and pastries. I had a flask a bottle of water, and some snacks from home

I'll have a look back through the Use it or Lose it Challenges.

In terms of Wellbeing I'm feeling great. I ran and went to the gym every day while I was away and have come back weighing the same amount as when I left. I also got LOTS of sleep and time to sit and just think.

I need to do a little bit of 'life planning' over the next few days. But my head is a lot less busy than before I went.

Off to tot up NSD's. Don't think it will be great, but I only withdrew cash once on holiday, and had a no fee CC, so that should be ok.
    *** Debt Free***
    NST July - 3/15
    Goals - Weight loss 2.5/13lb from 1st Jul 17
    GC To 1/7/17 £1,857/£3,500, 53/58% of the year. Had to raise budget
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 19th Mar 17, 8:04 PM
    • 6,149 Posts
    • 44,767 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful for dd being happy to walk plenty when I messed up the buses we had to catch, for the blustery wind making us giggle, for a lovely chat with an old neighbour who is moving back into their house that they rented out for several years, for playing 'red nose football' with dd (she has 3 of them!), for sewing, turning and stuffing of bunny limbs and bodies, for dd coping well when I told her that I am going away for 5 days this week, for getting my 12-week plan finalised, for 85% chocolate, for longer days, for a good book to read.
    NST SS #10; NSD 6; Ex 6; craft 150; remove 510
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £2239/£4050; 2
    017 sell 110

Mortgage £24,831 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 19th Mar 17, 8:05 PM
    • 6,149 Posts
    • 44,767 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Can I just check that I am still running the April challenge?

Was going to make a start on it this weekend if I am.
    Originally posted by Eager_Elephant
    Thank you for taking on April. Looking forward to it!
    NST SS #10; NSD 6; Ex 6; craft 150; remove 510
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £2239/£4050; 2
    017 sell 110

Mortgage £24,831 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 19th Mar 17, 8:20 PM
    • 1,997 Posts
    • 20,241 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Going to check in now as internet keeps going off (currently our provider is the only one with a viable signal).

Quiet (very sleepy) day. No money spent. Using up bits from the fridge. Need to do a rubbish round up.

Today I am grateful for a phone call from DS1, that I am still the person they phone when they have a problem and for more rest (need to get organised for the week ahead, although as long as I get through my 11 am meeting tomorrow, I have another day and a half to get things done).

More later, if I can get online.
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 19th Mar 17, 8:55 PM
    • 4,012 Posts
    • 21,340 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Yesterday was a spend day, got chicken feed and then popped to the supermarket for soya milk and salad bits - they had run out of my usual so got the next brand up, just a few as nearly double the cost.

I will try to venture to the supermarket earlier in the day to see if I can get what I need.

Today was a NSD!!

Had a fab weekend, just pottering on the allotment on both mornings, DH has cut some wood for me so I can continue with my flower/veg beds. I am creating vegetable beds with a border made from planks of wood - not raised beds but just beds in the ground with a wooden surround. In between each vegetable bed is a flower bed which is half the width of a veg bed so I can encourage bees etc to help pollinate everything.
    I have this wonderful vision in my head which I started last year and then the big event committee I was on got in the way so only got a few beds done - this year will be different though and I hope to get half the plot done with beds and then I need to think about a fruit cage as I have redcurrant and gooseberry bushes right in the middle of the plot.

Hope everyone has had a fab weekend
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 1 for July
    NSD - 8/16
    (up to 15/08/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • ilovetea
    • By ilovetea 19th Mar 17, 8:56 PM
    • 773 Posts
    • 5,705 Thanks
    ilovetea
    Good evening.
    Only had 1 NSD since I last posted,but will reach target if I organise myself.
    Friday saw a lovely ham shank £3-40!!!!!!!! Remember when they were pennies. Enough for a few meals though and stock for soup.
    Saturday needed bread.
    Today stopped in and did lots of silly little jobs that don't really take long,just never got round to doing them.
    Need to get Mum a card and a present for next Sunday.

Re. breakfast.never bothered with it since I left school.Sometimes have a banana mid-morning.

Re frogs.Must make a list.

Use it or loose it. Not using much craft stuff so putting it on e-bay.Made more on there than I have spent this month

ilovetea xx
    £2017 in 2017. #2 £1,044.21.
    • Calling14
    • By Calling14 19th Mar 17, 8:56 PM
    • 2,448 Posts
    • 18,183 Thanks
    Calling14
    I got another SFD today. Was going food shopping but decided to go out for long walk in the rain. Mad but lovely heaps better than shopping.

Cleaned kitchen properly and rest downstairs when got home.

Just need to deep clean upstairs next and do food shop this week.

Grateful for
    Warm weather
    Washing drying and staying on the line so windy.
    Feeling lot brighter after getting some fresh air and exercise
    E
    Fund #9 £120/£1,000

• Calling14
    • By Calling14 19th Mar 17, 8:57 PM
    • 2,448 Posts
    • 18,183 Thanks
    Calling14
    Eager Elephant looking forward to your challenge.
    E
    Fund #9 £120/£1,000

• greent
    • By greent 19th Mar 17, 8:58 PM
    • 6,064 Posts
    • 61,276 Thanks
    greent
    Greent Could I have the low carb oatmeal recipe please?

Originally posted by FurryBeastOz

It's a Joe Wicks one - reduced carb oatmeal
    15g chia seeds
    15g golden flax/ linseed
    35g finely shredded unsweetened coconut (I use unsweetened dessicated)
    1tsp cinnamon/ mixed spice (optional - a tsp is a lot)
    15g rolled oats
    300ml almond milk

I also add banana flavouring - it lacks something in its original form, imo

Heat in a saucepan and serve with 50g fat free greek yog

I find it best if I let all the ingredients sit for a while - the seeds etc soak up a lot of the milk and plump up.

Can also be made into muffins - reduce the milk, add a tsp of baking powder and bake until they look done... I add some protein powder (from BC plan) and vanilla essence/ vanilla pod seeds and let all the ingredients sit as long as poss (overnight is good) before baking - makes 8-12 small silicone cake case worth. Cake for breakfast Could omit flavouring and add a banana - reducing milk a bit further. Mix needs to be a runny batter when going in cases

Small spend at supermarket on things not in A5da yesterday. Paid some money for school trips and army camps. Now waiting for payday!

Continuing use it or lose it - I used to make soap (the cold processed from fats/ oils and natural colourings and essential oils) years ago. When I stopped selling it I was left with raw ingredients. I sold some but used up lots myself - a lot of the ingredients were food grade, so I used up 15kg of coconut oil and 7.5kg of palm oil in my kitchen, along with a large supply of vanilla pods, olive oil & cocoa. The handmade petal paper used to wrap the soaps has been put to use as gift wrap since.

I also used to do massage and was left with lots of rolls of couch paper. Not economical to see via fleebay due to courier costs. Tried and failed to sell it locally so OH cut some in half and I've been using it as kitchen towel. Takes a long time as I don't use much kitchen towel, but this way I'm using it up (can't see much call for it in the local CS!)

I did sell some ingredients and packaging via fleebay (again, too specialist for a CS in reality) I also had some finished products left - virtually everyone had soap/ body butters/ bath salts/ bath bombs/ bath teas for Xmas etc - packaged in pretty baskets We used some bars up ourselves and then the final few remaining bars got turned into laundry gloop for washing clothes

Today I am thankful for:
    * managing to fit in a walk along the canal path and to the play park
    * seeing lots of ducks and swans (including a lovely black one) along the canal
    * DS2 being very stoic about being poorly
    * calpol
    * tasty and healthy food - and using up some YS bargains at the same time
    * a totally unfussy eater in DS1, who appreciates home cooking
    * a quick yootoob Zumba session fitted in whilst dinner was cooking
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £4070/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £763.00/£500 PAYDOX17 £10787/£10k Decluttered 1284/2017 items
    • swimminginaseaofdebt
    • By swimminginaseaofdebt 19th Mar 17, 11:12 PM
    • 550 Posts
    • 3,040 Thanks
    swimminginaseaofdebt
    Evening everyone,

Have had a few spendy days since my last post. I booked 2 nights in a hotel to visit my sister in April. Will be driving down with my mum and niece but unfortunately my sister's house is not large enough to accommodate us all. As I am the one who has an 8 month old that still wakes up at night, I felt I should stay in the hotel so everyone else can get a decent nights sleep.

I've also bought the little one clothes from next, tesco and m & co. All were on sale and I got a variety of sizes so he even has some things for up to age 18 months now.

I bought myself a now pass (movies and tv) for 3 months. It was 3 months for the price of 1 plus I got £12 back from topcashback so effectively I've paid just under £5 for it.

The little one is not well again so we've not been out much. I walked to the library with him on Sat and today I walked to the supermarket for my groceries whilst my mum had him.

I returned a library book on Sat and picked up two others, one of which I've made a start on. I also borrowed two dvds whilst I was there. I watched one, Suicide Squad, last night and will hopefully get the other watched before I have to return it this Sat.
    Last edited by swimminginaseaofdebt; 20-03-2017 at 8:21 AM.
    Pay all debt off by Christmas 2017 #150 - £1868.05/£3729.05
    SPC10 #564
    • indigowarrior
    • By indigowarrior 20th Mar 17, 8:11 AM
    • 273 Posts
    • 1,958 Thanks
    indigowarrior
    I am just making a shopping list. Have a bare fridge so needs some food in it. Apart from that it will be a no spend day.
    #545- SPC
    Homeowner by 40
    August Nsd 1/15
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 20th Mar 17, 8:39 AM
    • 1,598 Posts
    • 12,387 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning all,

Managed a NSD on Saturday as I was working.

Sunday I got my shopping in and managed to forget to get petrol, so I'll buy that today along with paying for football. Dash!
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    NSD (5/15)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

672Posts Today

6,290Users online

Martin's Twitter