Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 25th Feb 17, 7:40 PM
    • 2,027Posts
    • 20,564Thanks
    mothernerd
    NST Muddy March Marathon
    • 25th Feb 17, 7:40 PM
    NST Muddy March Marathon 25th Feb 17 at 7:40 PM
    NST: MUDDY MARCH MARATHON

Inspired by the Zumba Twins (my niece and her wife) who completed a 10k mud run in aid of their local hospice last month and in despair at the impossibility of following Captain abundant's Winter Voyage, I have decided that in March we will run a
    Muddy March Marathon.

M March comes in like a lion and out like a lamb, they say. However March is a lot more varied than that and usually manages to throw a bit of everything at us. So it is, in life, and on our debt free journey. Some months we sail through, accumulating NSDs, knocking chunks off our debts. Others we struggle, barely recovering from one setback before the next hits us. This March, we will be adopting the American Indian mantra
    Live in the Spirit of the Season”

Whatever the weather throws at us (or life or debt free journey) we will embrace it, enjoy the challenge, celebrate and commiserate with each other. We will relish any signs of Spring approaching but will also splash through the puddles (or slush), fizzle through the fog and giggle at the gales. The March Challenge runs from 1st March to midnight on the 31st March.

U Use it or Lose it is our second theme for the month. Both words have many conotations so from using what we have in the cupboard, reusing something for a repair, putting skills we have to good use and losing (rehoming/ selling/ giving to the charity shop for it to find someone who loves it) any unwanted/ needed possessions (captain abundant advised us to look through out wardrobes last month) and turn them into cash or return them to productive life. We are all short of space (and time and money) so each day I will try to give a helpful example and welcome you to add your own. Useful ways of making the most of what we have and using what we have wisely.

D Debt Free Date Do you know yours? How much should you be paying towards your debt or savings each month to reach your target. Mine was always a bit vague – basically “When I sell the house”. When that was done, I paid for mum's (and mine? Help – she's already deciding where 'we' will go on holiday) much needed bungalow and paid all my debts. Going forward, not having the burden of two sets of household bills is a great improvement. I have a very modest income but it is sufficient.

D Debt or Savings First An important turtle rule, instigated by our original leader Ninja Saving Kat*. Anything left after debt (savings) payments and other regular outgoings (dd for utilities, council tax, rent or mortgage) is for you to live on (food, petrol or bus fares to get to work, 'extras'). If it is not enough, how will you bridge the gap – extra income or cutting back, phones, tvs, alcohol and 'classes' are all choices. If your budget is tight, how do these extras compare to your need to get rid of your debt/ buy a house/ retire early? I am not suggesting that you forgo fun. Turtles love fun. We love free fun best of all. But when you have a serious debt problem you need to look at your past choices and how you go forward. * See turtle back story at post 2

Y You will set all your BUDGETS before the start of the month. You are in control of your money, the money (or spending is not in control of you). (I want to sing 'You're not the boss of me' from Malcolm in the Middle). Food, travel (petrol, public transport, maintenance), any kids clubs (this can be put into a separate 'purse' or 'envelope' at the start of the month and will then not affect your NSDs. All regular outgoings including 'personal' spending money.

M Monitor Your Goals. Misstara encouraged us to set goals at the beginning of the year and Captain abundant asked us to check them last month. As we enter a new month, we should do so again. Are you reaching your current goals? If you are meeting your current target(s) easily then maybe it is time to move forward a step and stretch yourself? If it isn't happening, you need to revisit your goals, revise your first step (better to do 10 minutes exercise a day rather than fail to get to the gym, repeatedly). Identify any snags/ obstacles and work out how to overcome them. * BHF suggestions on setting goals and keeping on target in post 15(as suggested by Captain abundant). New comers feel welcome to think about and post your own goals for the year.

A Avoid takeaways, canteens (unless bargainaceous subsidised ones), vending machines, costalot coffee and all their ilk. Take your lunch to work (from home) every day and where possible take your own food or snacks for hospital appointments (if travelling or out at meal times), cinema visits, days out. Some turtles allow themselves some purchases from this section (budgetted for as a special treat). If you are stuck and have to purchase, try to support a local cause or cafe (ie 'friends' cafe), rather than a chain. The rule is there because small spends ('only a drink')like this can add up to a large amount over the year – see Martin's demotivator and making your own lunches (and meals at home from scratch) can give huge financial benefits as well as being healthier (no hidden sugar, fat, additives).

R Remember those in Need. Donate to your local food bank or charity of your choice. Money, goods or time. Remember the numerous charity shops when clearing your house – your unwanted item could be just what someone needs. Apologies to those with children whose schools are constantly demanding 'donations' (especially making you pay through the nose for uniform and then charging you for your children not wearing it).

C Cupboard audit (+ fridge and freezer), Meal Planning and Cooking from Scratch are all great aids to saving money. What do you have in, what can you make with it, what do you need to buy. Again several turtles are full of ideas for recipes, special diets, how to use that bag of whatever that has been sitting at the back of the cupboard since the year dot. We can even get children to eat veg. Save time by knowing what you are going to cook or cook at weekends and days off and have hm ready meals.

H HELP and Advice are always available. If you don't understand something, need clarification or are just drowning in despair, just yell. The turtle gang will respond.

M Mistakes. We all make them. We all slip up, forget things, go off the rails. One slip is not a failure, do not write off the month. Get yourself back on track as soon as possible. Don't be afraid to ask for help or ideas for how to solve a particular problem

A Avoid temptation. Retailers want your money. You do not have to give it to them. They have all sorts of tricks to get you to spend. Be wary. Product xyz will not transform your life. Focus on what you want to achieve. What is a need and what is a 'want'? Who or what is driving that 'want'. Check your mood (applies to eating things you shouldn't as well). Are you sad, fed up, angry, bored. Think about that feeling (all feelings are valid). Will that purchase (or comestible) solve the problem? How else can you deal with it or make yourself feel better?

R Repairs Every little helps. Last month I was congrtatulated on being able to sew/ alter my own clothes. It's a skill I am glad to have (largely self-taught although surrounded by sewers). However something as simple as knowing how to sew on a button can help. Would you throw out a blouse (which cost you £30? - sorry I only know charity shop prices) because a button fell off? Many people do. Fix something in your house or wardrobe this month and feel good about it. The days are getting longer. Make a list of small household jobs and repairs that need doing (even tidying 'that' drawer which never gets sorted). Start with the things you can do yourself for little or no cost.

A Attend regularly. Daily posting is recommended. If you can't face posting (usually when we have done something wrong) carry on reading. We mostly confess after a day or two and the turtles will help you aviod the 'mistake' in future.

T Try to follow the rules. Turtle rules are tough (and can be confusing at first). You sign up to the rules and should try your best to follow them all. No turtle is ever left behind. Think of the rules as woodworking tools. A hammer (something we can all use?) knocks nails into things/ joins things together, sometimes a bit crudely. Think about saws (all different types for different jobs), chisels and planes and different fixings (screws, nuts and bolts). Think about the fine furniture you could make if you could use all those tools properly.

Turtle rules are like those tools. Some are simple and effective – if you avoid shops (and the internet) like the plague, you will save money. Some are more subtle, may require skill in applying, take longer to fully utilise but he more rules you use, regularly, the easier it becomes to reach your target.

H Health. Another important facet of the turtle gang. I promised you a marathon, we will be getting down and dirty with lots of sweaty lycra (optional) exercise. Lots of turtles have weight loss as a goal and for that we need to look at food intake and getting moving. Healthy eating I am going to be boring and say eat your veg. Very few of us are getting enough. Healthy exercise check your existing target and step it up 5 days a week. Do a bit more (extra class/ add to the length of your walk or run/ do more at home). Mental Health lots of us are suffering setbacks, low moods and stress. I will not be setting weekly mini-challenges this month but I have seen a 21 day wellness exercise which I might quote and I also have the book of mindfulness exercises. I will be continuing the daily gratitudes, you decide if you want to.

O Outside. Lovely place. Get out there as often as possible, soak up any available daylight (it is really sunlight, I promise, even if it doesn't feel like it). Enjoy those invigorating breezes (imagine you are on a tropical island, it's all a question of degree). Helps to boost your immune system.

N No Spend Days. Aim for 15. If you made it in February, March is easy because you have days on which to spend. If you didn't quite make it, believe you can do it this time and plan to do so. If you do not follow the NSD target as you have another way that works for you, carry on. The original idea of NSDs is to avoid 'popping into' the shops for one or two things and coming out with a basket load. If you are disciplined enough to buy only what is on your list (ys or yellow sticker goods are exempt, provided it is something you will use or a treat you would only buy at a greatly reduced price). Medical necessities (including hospital parking), ys goodies (as long as nothing else is purchased) and filling up with petrol (again as long as it is from a set petrol budget – or diesel- and nothing else is purchsed) will not lose you a NSD. Unfortunately chocolate is not a medical necessity.
    Last edited by mothernerd; 26-02-2017 at 12:21 PM.
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy
    NST Sep #14 SFD 10/18 Spent £53.84/ £60
    Debt free and EF January 2016 No mortgage
    Progress through plodding, baby steps and purposeful pottering
Page 21
    • greent
    • By greent 17th Mar 17, 8:59 PM
    • 6,195 Posts
    • 62,706 Thanks
    greent
    Not NSD today - a few groceries (£25), some reclaimable expenses (50 - will get chq back for it next week) and a McDs for smallies for inset day and a Friday and just because

Need to sort a playlist for running (I use that term loosely - plodding) so will get onto that this weekend

Today's thankfulness:
    * selling the bike trailer - money in and lots of space gained in garage
    * it's the weekend!
    * a good quick moan with a friend about office politics - made us both feel better
    * resisting the choc biscuits in the jar all week!
    * the small 2 being delightful on their day off
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £4151/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1152.39/£500 PAYDOX17 £11333/£10k Decluttered 1515/2017 items
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 17th Mar 17, 9:22 PM
    • 2,027 Posts
    • 20,564 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Not managing to get going this March at all. Just busy and always something else to do... I've stopped making lists and lost count of spending. So today I am going to kick my backside and write a to-do list so I can at least make a couple of small steps.
    Originally posted by crazy_cat_lady
    Hugs. Just keep plodding. I have stopped doing lists for the past two weeks (although I can still be heard muttering the morning mantras - toilet, pills, more water). I have in mind any meetings/ appointments I must make, time the morning routine to get there on time and then have in mind the next task I will do. Not thrilled with low productivity but prioritising is working (realise some of the things don't need doing).

Mothernerd will work through all your challenges over the weekend. I am not ignoring them honest.

Not highly excitable for the weekend when the highlight is tadpoles probably in the rain.

Feeling a bit down, want a holiday. Missing having a man to wine and dine me at weekends as well. Really felt lonely last few nights.
    Originally posted by Calling14
    The challenges are an optional extra. You have work, grandchildren and not been well, don't let any challenge stress you more.

nsd 12
    Love all the chat on this page but do find it hard to do the challenges - think it must be with working full time and spending quite a bit of my free time exercising.
    This week has been hard - work is tough at the mo for many reasons. Home is my sanctuary but 4 y o does continue to have outbursts every so often that are out of this world. I cope so well with 33 11 year olds all day and then...

I don't think I've ever in my life carried on working on new year goals into March and I can finally see why it is worth pursuing a dream
    Hope everyone has an amazing and money saving weekend
    Originally posted by SkintTeacher
    Again the challenges are optional, you have a lot on your plate. The 11 yo s are easier because they are not yours. Your own always know just how to press your buttons. I was always grateful that with DS1 (total non-sleeper) I had a baby with a cry I could tolerate - I swear some of the other babies, I would have given away before I left hospital.

They can be very sweet as well. One day, because there was no post I said 'No body loves me'. DS3 looked puzzled, said he didn't know how to write a letter (was just learning) then ran off. Shortly after he returned with a card he had taken from the craft box with a drawing on the front and inside mis-spelt (dear mummy, with love, if you are ill dont go to your meeting). He remembered the first bits because we put them in cards.

Hugs Apple yes you will get there (in the meantime, try to enjoy the journey).

Will reply properly to people tomorrow (or later tonight). I've had a strange day.

The chinchilla food came promptly so had another little sleep (was falling asleep waiting). Felt a bit better but not much. Decided that if I went to Icyland, at least we would have food (chilli and curry getting repetitious) and I could see if I felt able to pick up a few more bits on the way home, where I would give myself permision to collapse and loz around for the rest of the day.

Came back twice to go to the toilet before getting to the back gate, got very wet (with the rain) but kept smiling but then had the urge to 'go' again so completed the shop asap. Marched round to the SM as their toilet was nearer than home, spent an embarrassingly long time in there, bought a few more things and got a taxi home. Just glad that my distress didn't become public - very close run thing.

Had a bath, got back in bed, leaving them to sort the food delivery. Pain has eased but have had 2 more sleeps. Going to try eating something in a mo - not sure I should but am hungry and don't want to be doing food in the middle of the night.

So todays gratitudes are all for not being publicly embarrassed, not having to walk home from through the bus station or town centre or having an accident in the middle of a SM.
    Last edited by mothernerd; 18-03-2017 at 12:10 AM.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 17th Mar 17, 9:48 PM
    • 928 Posts
    • 6,623 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    I need to get back to running, and the playlist was invaluable last time, so a new one is needed to get me out the door. I am awake at 5.30am again every day. Soon it will be 5am because of birdsong and light change. Might as well go for a run while no one is looking - it is amazing the amount of people who say they have seen you when you go out for a run.

Cupboard inventory taken, menu planned for the week, food shop done.

£2 spent in charity shop for 4 books. Will keep me amused for a while.
    Grateful for:
    food in the cupboards,
    DS1 having a great time at the Big Bang Science Fair at the NEC today,
    refinding the urge to go running again,
    I am ploughing my way through the jobs on the list,
    a big stack of books next to my bed,
    a man I still adore after 20 years
    MFW May 16 £118,340
    September 17 - £109,896.73
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 17th Mar 17, 10:22 PM
    • 2,515 Posts
    • 23,707 Thanks
    Fmess
    Hugs mothernerd, glad you managed to find convenient toilets

SFD number 11 today. Feeling good about everything this evening
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New Roof Debt £1425/£8542
    SeptNST #? SFD 1/18 Food 101.16/120 Personal 160/200 Petrol 50/100
    • SkintTeacher
    • By SkintTeacher 17th Mar 17, 10:39 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    SkintTeacher
    Mothernerd lovely post - thank you x x x
    • indigowarrior
    • By indigowarrior 18th Mar 17, 6:21 AM
    • 274 Posts
    • 1,974 Thanks
    indigowarrior
    I dont think I will hit 20nsd. Oh well.
    Yesterday wasn't a no spend day. I am hoping for a 5 day streak. I was tempted to take my eldest to the cinema but I changed my mind. Mainly due to my 4-month-old and the feeling she would act up.
    #545- SPC
    Homeowner by 40
    August Nsd 1/15
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 18th Mar 17, 10:13 AM
    • 3,327 Posts
    • 28,587 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning all
    I was so tired last night I fell asleep on the sofa before 9pm. Bit restless though - I am getting ill again. Kept waking up with a snotty nose and this morning I have a really sore throat and a bit of earache as well. Good news is that today should be a fairly quiet day - my trainer is away so no early session. DS football match cancelled so I just need to do my tutoring later on.
    Other than that, the to-do lists need to come back. My anxiety goes into overdrive when I am trying to remember too much.
    Minimal housework, plenty of paracetamol and liquids and I'll be right.
    NSTSeptember #32 NSD 8/18 RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 18th Mar 17, 11:06 AM
    • 2,027 Posts
    • 20,564 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Day Eighteen
    Today I want your best Use It or Lose It examples, turtles (sorry still delicate, aching and a bit dizzy). Show me how imaginative and resourceful you all are.

Day Eighteeen Wellbeing
    Make time for a wholesome breakfast.

Inspiration
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars (Oscar Wilde)
    Last edited by mothernerd; 18-03-2017 at 11:47 AM.
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 18th Mar 17, 12:21 PM
    • 4,079 Posts
    • 21,891 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Since Weds I have had another NSD and unfortunately also a spend day.

Thurs was a NSD but yesterday was a spend day, we are nearly out of dog poo bags so stocked up on those from Wilko. Then while I was out for work I passed a charity shop which is stock that the other shops in the 'brand' could not sell at their usual price so they come to this shop and get reduced right down.
    I decided on Thurs that for Mothers Day I would ask the kids for a spring/summer lightweight coat as my one has started to fade (its black) and is also too short in the body now.
    Then lo and behold in the charity shop was a pink lightweight coat for £1.50!! It must have been fate.
    Had a look at the trouser rail and managed to get some black yoga pants £ 1 (but I will wear them in the evenings after I get in from work and before I am ready for PJ's) and also some thin jeans with elasticated waist £1 (these are ideal on the field/allotment as they give a good range of movement) and a casual black top £1.
    So I was very pleased with my haul and now will have to think of something else for Mothers Day!!

Thanks for todays challenge mothernerd - I always have breakfast, I can never get my head round people who don't. I grew up with breakfast every day and seemed to have carried that on. On work days I have Lidl version of ReadyBrek as can make this at work and at weekend I have something on wholemeal GF bread so either egg or beans or bacon or a combination.

My example of Use It or Lose it is our village allotments. They have been in use since the mid 50's and are owned by the Diocese, they were always a hive of activity but over the years as people died or left plots were not rented out. I think the agents couldn't be bothered with the paperwork involved in collecting pitiful rents. The village got together and tried to negotiate with the agency to no avail - we had 8 people who wanted plots and even offered to collect the rent ourselves to save them time.
    In the end we went to the papers and the Diocese found out - so the allotments are back in use and I am Chair of the Allotments and we pay a set rental for the whole area and then collect in rent.
    DH and I have a plot each even though we don't really need one but we do it to support the village, some other people are the same.
    The majority of the site is looking fab and up until this month we had nearly all the plots rented out but some people have left (renewal time so the chance to leave) so we have a few plots vacant but I am hopeful we will rent them - we have had people come and go over the few years we have had and have a healthy bank balance.
    Hopefully the more we use the less we will lose it - there was talk that the agency were considering housing on the site!! So we need to do our best to stop this.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 20 for August
    NSD - 0/18
    (up to 01/09/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 18th Mar 17, 12:21 PM
    • 4,079 Posts
    • 21,891 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Can I just check that I am still running the April challenge?

Was going to make a start on it this weekend if I am.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 20 for August
    NSD - 0/18
    (up to 01/09/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • indigowarrior
    • By indigowarrior 18th Mar 17, 1:27 PM
    • 274 Posts
    • 1,974 Thanks
    indigowarrior
    Todays challenge was porridge and strawberries.
    #545- SPC
    Homeowner by 40
    August Nsd 1/15
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 18th Mar 17, 2:04 PM
    • 2,515 Posts
    • 23,707 Thanks
    Fmess
    I always have breakfast and a bigger breakfast at the weekend. Today was a bacon sandwich

My use it or lose it, is my local country park. There have been rumours for years that it might get turned in to private golf course and hotel. I try and use it regularly, meet friends there and support the local businesses there, like the ice cream man and the cafe. Apparently it's now become a wedding venue
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New Roof Debt £1425/£8542
    SeptNST #? SFD 1/18 Food 101.16/120 Personal 160/200 Petrol 50/100
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 18th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    • 928 Posts
    • 6,623 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Today I waited for DH to get up so we could have breakfast together, just coffee and toast, but I get up at 6 and he gets up at 9. I was very hungry by then, he suggested that as he is very grumpy in the mornings, and mostly incapable of speech, and I am very cheerful, that I don't bother again. Charming! Well I tried!

I might try the threat 'Use it or lose it' on DH - he is a terrible squirrel and I want stuff put away - some of his things have not been out of boxes since we moved in together 19 years ago. It bothers me, but doesn't bother him.
    MFW May 16 £118,340
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 18th Mar 17, 3:52 PM
    • 2,027 Posts
    • 20,564 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Can I just check that I am still running the April challenge?

Was going to make a start on it this weekend if I am.
    Originally posted by Eager_Elephant
    I'm accepting gratefully on behalf of the turtles. Any other offers for future months?
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 18th Mar 17, 4:06 PM
    • 6,297 Posts
    • 45,862 Thanks
    apple muncher
    My breakfast is usually 3 scrambled eggs with a good dollop of cottage cheese. It may sound a lot, but I try to avoid grains as much as I can, so porridge and anything with bread products is out. And I can get it made in the time it takes to make toast for dd. On the 2 days I leave the house at 6.30, I don't eat at home, but take a pot of about 1oz almonds + 1oz sultanas to eat when I get to work.
    NST Sept scrimper #2; NSD 9; Ex 7; craft 212; remove 510
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £2883/£4050; 2
    017 sell 110

Mortgage £24,331 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 18th Mar 17, 4:10 PM
    • 2,027 Posts
    • 20,564 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Think I am finally awake. Not so much a case of listening to my body but my body not taking no for an answer. Every time I read a page or two of my book, I fell asleep, couldn't concentrate on a game (5 minutes) so no point in trying to find an old film to watch. So sleep, sleep and more sleep.

I have pulled things out of the washer and refilled it, scrubbed the bath and wiped most of the rest of the bathroom (had to sit on the stool whilst I squirted one half of the bath and the loo to do the other half - also refilled my bottle with white vinegar and water and put stuff down the loo). Bathmat has been changed.

My breakfast was two hot cross buns, eaten slowly and cautiously, suitably bland and safe.

Need to start on the washing up mountain soon. I was interested that the original fly-lady (not the current column which makes me tired just reading) was afflicted with low energy and started giving herself a ten minute task to do each day.

I have done the sums from yesterday and added them to my signature. I have put £40 of expenditure onto next month's budget because that is when I expect to use it. I knew the Icyland bill was going to run to about £60 from a quick tot up of my list but it makes sense to buy in bulk to get savings (3 for £10 on fish packs) or items no-one else stocks. They had an offer on wash tablets which will run out next month and things like DS3's cordial were the same price as elsewhere so it makes sense to add them to the trolley and get them delivered.

SM shop was a few salad/ veg ys, healthy celery, cucumber and carrots for snacks (some ys), stock up of tinned toms and kidney beans (some went in the food bank box), milk (1 for the freezer), potatoes to bake and freeze and things like tomato ketchup, mint sauce and veg stock cubes, all of which had run out. The only things on my list which I didn't get were ant powder, mould spray (I must phone the roofer) and shelf brackets and uprights (but weather isn't okay/ not up to any of those tasks so no problem).
    Last edited by mothernerd; 18-03-2017 at 4:12 PM.
    • greent
    • By greent 18th Mar 17, 5:10 PM
    • 6,195 Posts
    • 62,706 Thanks
    greent
    My breakfast today was banana pancakes with fat free yogurt and some strawberries (grown in the garden last summer and frozen - freezers are so fab for using/ losing food - food saves) after doing Zumba to yoootoob whilst OH took DS3 to his swimming lesson. I nearly always have breakfast - when I'm at work it tends to be 2 eggs, scrambled in the microwave in a square tub - which then perfectly fit into a toasted 'thin' - with a teeny amount of grated cheese. Decent amount of protein to get me through the morning without snacking (can't when I'm in an exam) Otherwise it's sometimes an omelette (I eat a lot of eggs) or reduced carb oatmeal (bodycoach recipe) Outside of bc it was mainly hm seeded wholemeal, toasted or porridge.

Spends today - A5da for some more groceries (stocked up some lunchbox bits not stocked in Tesc0 or A1di, so shouldn't have to visit for 2 or 3 weeks now) and then OH wanted to buy a shirt to wear out on his old boys school dinner tonight - hit Debenhuums as I had a £10 reward voucher and also some money off vouchers (run out tomorrow) - found a suitable shirt for tonight, a lovely jumper and then a fab smart casual shirt (perfect for work (smart casual wear) or with jeans and waistcoat) which was reduced. Used my £10 voucher and the a £10 money off voucher, so saved £20 on the spend - which was pretty good Also both picked up free chocs from Th0rnt0ns with 02 priority moments - will incorporate into Mothering Sunday gift

Today I am thankful for:
    * DS3 enjoying swimming
    * a good Zumba workout
    * hitting my steps target by 3pm
    * money off vouchers and reward vouchers
    * free chocolate!
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £4151/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1152.39/£500 PAYDOX17 £11333/£10k Decluttered 1515/2017 items
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 18th Mar 17, 5:44 PM
    • 928 Posts
    • 6,623 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    NSD #4 !!

Took kids to park for a while this afternoon with a frisbee.
    Used it, didn't lose it!
    MFW May 16 £118,340
    • indigowarrior
    • By indigowarrior 18th Mar 17, 6:15 PM
    • 274 Posts
    • 1,974 Thanks
    indigowarrior
    Nsd 8
    Use it or lose it. I reduced my mobile phone contract by half. I had 20GB allowance but I would never have used it all so I have reduced it to a 2gb allowance instead.
    #545- SPC
    Homeowner by 40
    August Nsd 1/15
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 18th Mar 17, 8:19 PM
    • 6,297 Posts
    • 45,862 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful for dd enjoying her dance exams, for meeting up with dh after, for a nice trawl around some ch shops with v little purchased, for lovely fabric that makes me smile, for the robins that visit our garden, for my current interesting book, for being able to answer some Qs about dad's house for big sis, for dd chattering away to me on the buses, for 85% chocolate, for my favourite jamas.
    NST Sept scrimper #2; NSD 9; Ex 7; craft 212; remove 510
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £2883/£4050; 2
    017 sell 110

Mortgage £24,331 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,452Posts Today

7,557Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin