Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 25th Feb 17, 7:40 PM
    • 1,905Posts
    • 19,311Thanks
    mothernerd
    NST Muddy March Marathon
    • 25th Feb 17, 7:40 PM
    NST Muddy March Marathon 25th Feb 17 at 7:40 PM
    NST: MUDDY MARCH MARATHON

Inspired by the Zumba Twins (my niece and her wife) who completed a 10k mud run in aid of their local hospice last month and in despair at the impossibility of following Captain abundant's Winter Voyage, I have decided that in March we will run a
    Muddy March Marathon.

M March comes in like a lion and out like a lamb, they say. However March is a lot more varied than that and usually manages to throw a bit of everything at us. So it is, in life, and on our debt free journey. Some months we sail through, accumulating NSDs, knocking chunks off our debts. Others we struggle, barely recovering from one setback before the next hits us. This March, we will be adopting the American Indian mantra
    Live in the Spirit of the Season”

Whatever the weather throws at us (or life or debt free journey) we will embrace it, enjoy the challenge, celebrate and commiserate with each other. We will relish any signs of Spring approaching but will also splash through the puddles (or slush), fizzle through the fog and giggle at the gales. The March Challenge runs from 1st March to midnight on the 31st March.

U Use it or Lose it is our second theme for the month. Both words have many conotations so from using what we have in the cupboard, reusing something for a repair, putting skills we have to good use and losing (rehoming/ selling/ giving to the charity shop for it to find someone who loves it) any unwanted/ needed possessions (captain abundant advised us to look through out wardrobes last month) and turn them into cash or return them to productive life. We are all short of space (and time and money) so each day I will try to give a helpful example and welcome you to add your own. Useful ways of making the most of what we have and using what we have wisely.

D Debt Free Date Do you know yours? How much should you be paying towards your debt or savings each month to reach your target. Mine was always a bit vague – basically “When I sell the house”. When that was done, I paid for mum's (and mine? Help – she's already deciding where 'we' will go on holiday) much needed bungalow and paid all my debts. Going forward, not having the burden of two sets of household bills is a great improvement. I have a very modest income but it is sufficient.

D Debt or Savings First An important turtle rule, instigated by our original leader Ninja Saving Kat*. Anything left after debt (savings) payments and other regular outgoings (dd for utilities, council tax, rent or mortgage) is for you to live on (food, petrol or bus fares to get to work, 'extras'). If it is not enough, how will you bridge the gap – extra income or cutting back, phones, tvs, alcohol and 'classes' are all choices. If your budget is tight, how do these extras compare to your need to get rid of your debt/ buy a house/ retire early? I am not suggesting that you forgo fun. Turtles love fun. We love free fun best of all. But when you have a serious debt problem you need to look at your past choices and how you go forward. * See turtle back story at post 2

Y You will set all your BUDGETS before the start of the month. You are in control of your money, the money (or spending is not in control of you). (I want to sing 'You're not the boss of me' from Malcolm in the Middle). Food, travel (petrol, public transport, maintenance), any kids clubs (this can be put into a separate 'purse' or 'envelope' at the start of the month and will then not affect your NSDs. All regular outgoings including 'personal' spending money.

M Monitor Your Goals. Misstara encouraged us to set goals at the beginning of the year and Captain abundant asked us to check them last month. As we enter a new month, we should do so again. Are you reaching your current goals? If you are meeting your current target(s) easily then maybe it is time to move forward a step and stretch yourself? If it isn't happening, you need to revisit your goals, revise your first step (better to do 10 minutes exercise a day rather than fail to get to the gym, repeatedly). Identify any snags/ obstacles and work out how to overcome them. * BHF suggestions on setting goals and keeping on target in post 15(as suggested by Captain abundant). New comers feel welcome to think about and post your own goals for the year.

A Avoid takeaways, canteens (unless bargainaceous subsidised ones), vending machines, costalot coffee and all their ilk. Take your lunch to work (from home) every day and where possible take your own food or snacks for hospital appointments (if travelling or out at meal times), cinema visits, days out. Some turtles allow themselves some purchases from this section (budgetted for as a special treat). If you are stuck and have to purchase, try to support a local cause or cafe (ie 'friends' cafe), rather than a chain. The rule is there because small spends ('only a drink')like this can add up to a large amount over the year – see Martin's demotivator and making your own lunches (and meals at home from scratch) can give huge financial benefits as well as being healthier (no hidden sugar, fat, additives).

R Remember those in Need. Donate to your local food bank or charity of your choice. Money, goods or time. Remember the numerous charity shops when clearing your house – your unwanted item could be just what someone needs. Apologies to those with children whose schools are constantly demanding 'donations' (especially making you pay through the nose for uniform and then charging you for your children not wearing it).

C Cupboard audit (+ fridge and freezer), Meal Planning and Cooking from Scratch are all great aids to saving money. What do you have in, what can you make with it, what do you need to buy. Again several turtles are full of ideas for recipes, special diets, how to use that bag of whatever that has been sitting at the back of the cupboard since the year dot. We can even get children to eat veg. Save time by knowing what you are going to cook or cook at weekends and days off and have hm ready meals.

H HELP and Advice are always available. If you don't understand something, need clarification or are just drowning in despair, just yell. The turtle gang will respond.

M Mistakes. We all make them. We all slip up, forget things, go off the rails. One slip is not a failure, do not write off the month. Get yourself back on track as soon as possible. Don't be afraid to ask for help or ideas for how to solve a particular problem

A Avoid temptation. Retailers want your money. You do not have to give it to them. They have all sorts of tricks to get you to spend. Be wary. Product xyz will not transform your life. Focus on what you want to achieve. What is a need and what is a 'want'? Who or what is driving that 'want'. Check your mood (applies to eating things you shouldn't as well). Are you sad, fed up, angry, bored. Think about that feeling (all feelings are valid). Will that purchase (or comestible) solve the problem? How else can you deal with it or make yourself feel better?

R Repairs Every little helps. Last month I was congrtatulated on being able to sew/ alter my own clothes. It's a skill I am glad to have (largely self-taught although surrounded by sewers). However something as simple as knowing how to sew on a button can help. Would you throw out a blouse (which cost you £30? - sorry I only know charity shop prices) because a button fell off? Many people do. Fix something in your house or wardrobe this month and feel good about it. The days are getting longer. Make a list of small household jobs and repairs that need doing (even tidying 'that' drawer which never gets sorted). Start with the things you can do yourself for little or no cost.

A Attend regularly. Daily posting is recommended. If you can't face posting (usually when we have done something wrong) carry on reading. We mostly confess after a day or two and the turtles will help you aviod the 'mistake' in future.

T Try to follow the rules. Turtle rules are tough (and can be confusing at first). You sign up to the rules and should try your best to follow them all. No turtle is ever left behind. Think of the rules as woodworking tools. A hammer (something we can all use?) knocks nails into things/ joins things together, sometimes a bit crudely. Think about saws (all different types for different jobs), chisels and planes and different fixings (screws, nuts and bolts). Think about the fine furniture you could make if you could use all those tools properly.

Turtle rules are like those tools. Some are simple and effective – if you avoid shops (and the internet) like the plague, you will save money. Some are more subtle, may require skill in applying, take longer to fully utilise but he more rules you use, regularly, the easier it becomes to reach your target.

H Health. Another important facet of the turtle gang. I promised you a marathon, we will be getting down and dirty with lots of sweaty lycra (optional) exercise. Lots of turtles have weight loss as a goal and for that we need to look at food intake and getting moving. Healthy eating I am going to be boring and say eat your veg. Very few of us are getting enough. Healthy exercise check your existing target and step it up 5 days a week. Do a bit more (extra class/ add to the length of your walk or run/ do more at home). Mental Health lots of us are suffering setbacks, low moods and stress. I will not be setting weekly mini-challenges this month but I have seen a 21 day wellness exercise which I might quote and I also have the book of mindfulness exercises. I will be continuing the daily gratitudes, you decide if you want to.

O Outside. Lovely place. Get out there as often as possible, soak up any available daylight (it is really sunlight, I promise, even if it doesn't feel like it). Enjoy those invigorating breezes (imagine you are on a tropical island, it's all a question of degree). Helps to boost your immune system.

N No Spend Days. Aim for 15. If you made it in February, March is easy because you have days on which to spend. If you didn't quite make it, believe you can do it this time and plan to do so. If you do not follow the NSD target as you have another way that works for you, carry on. The original idea of NSDs is to avoid 'popping into' the shops for one or two things and coming out with a basket load. If you are disciplined enough to buy only what is on your list (ys or yellow sticker goods are exempt, provided it is something you will use or a treat you would only buy at a greatly reduced price). Medical necessities (including hospital parking), ys goodies (as long as nothing else is purchased) and filling up with petrol (again as long as it is from a set petrol budget – or diesel- and nothing else is purchsed) will not lose you a NSD. Unfortunately chocolate is not a medical necessity.
    Last edited by mothernerd; 26-02-2017 at 12:21 PM.
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy 2017 Weight loss 4lb NST Jun No 7 SFD 13 /20 Budget Food £97.55/ £100 Transport £4.30/£10.Ext £/ £20 EF 28/01/16 Mortgage Free 5.1 1982 Debt Free 11/01/2016
    Progress through plodding, baby steps and purposeful pottering
Page 15
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 11th Mar 17, 12:27 PM
    • 1,905 Posts
    • 19,311 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Kicked the filing into touch and changed the bedding before bedtime (which was 4.30am unfortunately). Tried to sleep and couldn't so read for a while.
    Have put a load of washing in (enormous mountain to work through, which I asked for) so that it feel like I am getting things done (cleared a space in my bedroom and should have done in their's)
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy 2017 Weight loss 4lb NST Jun No 7 SFD 13 /20 Budget Food £97.55/ £100 Transport £4.30/£10.Ext £/ £20 EF 28/01/16 Mortgage Free 5.1 1982 Debt Free 11/01/2016
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 11th Mar 17, 2:30 PM
    • 3,879 Posts
    • 27,224 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Afternoon all
    My relaxing Saturday was a bit hectic so far today. Tomorrow not looking much less busy either.
    I've been training, done the grocery shopping, visited bestie, minimal housework, took ds to football match and also managed 2 punctured car tyres.
    Not a nsd with a £70 grocery shop and £100 on getting the car fixed
    Stress levels still high but lower than yesterday. Konmaried my clothes and feeling much happier for that.
    Congratulations to you Mrshubbard
    NST June#24 NSD 8/15 RYSAW17 #1 £412.74 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • Calling14
    • By Calling14 11th Mar 17, 5:47 PM
    • 2,409 Posts
    • 17,864 Thanks
    Calling14
    Enjoyed my Saturday wide awake at 6 however so restless up at 7. Bedding stripped off washing done, another load done threw on line as well. Car cleaned - the only job never do- splattered by seagulls yesterday. Oil and water levels checked.

Made picnic, got dd 2gks in the car - good walk around NT property. Felt bit damp eating out but it wasn't cold. Baby snuggled in buggy.

Feel so much better today. Started taking vitamins last few days. Do it folks been so tired lately stick with them now.

Did spend today needed a huge pot as my barrel split with plant in it but with compost, plant food only came to £10. Its massive, need to get it drilled now for drainage.

Decided not to go on date, unsure and after a chat with my gay hairdresser. He came up with same niggly points as me plus I get a day of freedom.

Update on vax machine asked for receipt so hopefully something may happen re repairs.?

Mothernerd your too kind. Kat would have put me on naughty step immediately. Sticking my ground have only 2 pairs jeggings and one bit to cozy so they were needed. As attempting to stop wearing joggers all the time as it's too easy to eat more !

Grateful for
    Lovely day out
    Crime egg dd brought along
    Magnolias in flower stunning
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 NOW 2080
    PAYDBX 2017 #16 2220/4300 DFD 10/17 ?
    E
    Fund #9 £120/£1,000
    1 x 100 days challenge26 #3 170/ 1400 ends 13/9/17

• SkintTeacher
    • By SkintTeacher 11th Mar 17, 5:54 PM
    • 307 Posts
    • 1,699 Thanks
    SkintTeacher
    1) Just cadged a mackerel fillet from my mum for dinner - she only needed 2 for her recipe
    2) getting outside - no sun as it was 7am but I increased my run distance by 1/3 and felt really good. Then did 25 mins of core and arms. Then yoga this afternoon. AND had just a salad in a well known pizza establishment.
    3) due to an outing, not an NSD so it wasn't the best day for money saving and I'll certainly have to do some 'adjustment' on the budgets for the month as OH had a pud which I wasn't expecting!
    Gratitude:
    A kind mum who whizzed round at the drop of a hat when I lost it with my little one (this stomach bug seems to have altered his DNA!)
    Salted caramel - I've been searching 2 weeks for 'the one'
    Exercise - natural endorphins
    • greent
    • By greent 11th Mar 17, 6:05 PM
    • 5,871 Posts
    • 59,357 Thanks
    greent
    Congratulations, mrshubbard - and very mse in being able to reuse clothes easily too

Cadging - hmmm... I always get my mum to bring her wardrobe clear outs here before she takes them to CS - I often get things which are still new and are my style - it's great - especially for workwear tops With ingredients I usually sub something I already have (I don't usually use a recipe, anyway - I make most dishes up as I go along)
    We used to borrow a lot of tools from family but have generally bought our own in recent years - not many, but good quality ones which we wouldn't have been able to afford originally.
    I try and borrow items when it comes to school play costumes (our primary school does not provide any costumes - we have to) - volunteering for a children-related charity comes in handy here - I have borrowed an item (already pre-loved) several times for one or two days required for the play/ particular dress-up day. It's never an issue as I do any required laundry of donated items - sometimes a couple of loads worth a week. And the items are returned freshly laundered and ironed.

Wellbeing - I read this after lunch but have been for a short walk.

Not NSD - went to Sains and A5da - had to get DS2 some black jeans (for a school play - but as he will wear them anyway I was happy to buy some from A%da), DS3 some boxers, DS2 some more swim shorts (we have size 7-8 and 12 - nothing in-between - he tried the 12 out on Thurs but the drawstring on them is not a functional drawstring - and they kept falling down! ) and some groceries. Grocery spends only £40, though, so was pleased with that.

Food tonight for us and DS1 & gf is Peri peri chicken (sliced breasts currently marinating) with salad, pittas or freshly baked rolls (still proving atm!) and fries/ spiced rice - a fakeaway Nand0s, if you will

Today I am thankful for:
    * DS2 enjoying his scout trip this morning (visit to a local mosque)
    * a lovely Spring day
    * a visit from my mum with her dogs - DS1, gf and DS3 went on a dog walk with her - DS3 is slowly losing his fear of dogs
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £3000/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £657.00/£500 PAYDOX17 £9887/£10k Decluttered 865/2017 items
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 11th Mar 17, 7:14 PM
    • 2,520 Posts
    • 26,234 Thanks
    XSpender
    Hello all

Apologies for lack of posts this week, I have had a really crap week at work swinging from me in tears to great feedback so felt a bit all over the place.

Cash flow is suffering this month with 2 birthdays one for BF big birthday and associated fancy dress and beer tokens, work in the house and garden, DH has a 2-day event with his friends. Everything needs cash so it isn't like I can use the CC to tide us over and will need to dip into our limited savings until I can get back on an even keel next month when DH will get bonus and expenses back dated.

The good news is our food spends are probably the best they have been this far into the month in a long time even if I am £35 ahead of where I should be. A part from 5 small items needed from Mr S tomorrow I am all stocked up until next weekend.

Bought us each a hoodie from ALdee and didn't realise until we got home that they hadn't charged us for the child's one.

It was MIL birthday today so took her to the garden centre and she helped us choose some plants for our garden (she doesn't have one but loves gardens/plants) and had a tea and cake in the caf!. We used our membership card to claim 2 free hot drinks, I took my own GF cake as I didn't think they would have one and since DPIL bought DS a cake I only spent £1.70 on DS's coke.

Today I am grateful for:
    1. DMIL enjoying the trip out for her birthday
    2. The compliment on my jacket from the young man who served me in the caf!
    3. An enjoyable rugby match on the TV
    4. Achy legs this morning after my PT session last night, means I am working hard
    PAYDBX 2017 #99 from 4/5 - £1975.53/£10,000 19.75%
    Total Owed £39,547.78 May '17 Total owed June '17 £37,590.34 Savings goal £500 - £325
    DFD - May 2021 goal Feb 2020
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 11th Mar 17, 8:37 PM
    • 3,932 Posts
    • 20,619 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    I know it might be a shock to some so you best sit down but I have finally managed another NSD

Been on a spending bender since Weds when I met DS' GF for morning coffee, Thurs I met bestie and we went to a veggie pub for lunch and yesterday met my colleague who has had a major op and is bored at home - we did a very slow walk and then went for coffee and cake.

But finally today I have managed a NSD

On the subject of cadging I love cadging, I am part of some smallholder groups and smallholders keep everything and then when they realise they can't use it they put it up for free to a good home.
    Today was a prime example - we have been to collect loads of guttering and pipes etc from a smallholder. We have been discussing putting guttering on all our chicken sheds to catch rainwater for wages but the cost of guttering etc was putting us off. Quite by chance earlier in the week someone posted on a Facebook group that they had some old guttering found in a shed of a house they have just brought and they don't need.

There is loads of it, DH thinks we have enough to put guttering on all the chicken sheds (4) plus everyone elses

Today I am grateful for:
    1. Things we get for free
    2. DD went to play with her cousins who we don't see very often (and at 14 it was nice to see her doing something other than playing on her phone).
    3. New to me jeans - DD needed new jeans so I took her shopping yesterday and I now have her cast offs!!
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 6 for June
    NSD - 3/15
    (up to 6/6/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 11th Mar 17, 8:51 PM
    • 1,905 Posts
    • 19,311 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Hugs XSpender. Hugs for all turtles. A few themes coming out - iron deficiencies and needing vitamins, having a plan but things being more hectic than expected. So everyone give yourself a hug. If you have a child or partner who will give you a hug, ask them but otherwise hug yourself (or a teddy if you feel silly hugging yourself).

I've scrubbed the bath, wiped the sink, done a couple of loads of washing, mini rubbish round up (DS3 is still insisting that someone has crept in in the night and put rubbish all round the couch where they have been sitting) and spent some time on the 'poorlies' thread (OS Ways and ill health).

Gathered lots of useful information, some I already knew but it is useful to remind oneself every now and then, some for future use and I am putting together a plan for going forward. Someone mentioned tool banks - places where ladders, drills, lawnmowers (stuff the average household only needs infrequently) can be borrowed. Apparently the cost of premises and insurance (there will always be one numpty who runs over the power cord with the lawnmower and then wants to sue) makes them non-viable now.

What came across strongly and is equally applicable to the able bodied is that we are all our own worst critic - we say/ think things about ourselves which would be totally abhorrent if we said/ thought them about a friend. So be kind to yourselves, turtles. We are all doing the best we can in difficult circumstances.

Enjoy what is left of the weekend.

Not a NSD as spent about £15 (14 something, will find the receipt in a moment). I was trying to get enthused over the last portion of lasagne (with cauli) or the curry (probably with cauli). Someone has eaten the lasagne and the curry wasn't mine (DS3 has once again eaten the one for me and left the one he asked for grr). Then found another bag of broccoli which sort of pushed me over the edge.

Everything in the freezer will get used but not today or tomorrow. Have bought one curry (shopping trip was to avoid a takeaway), some indian snacks, sweet potatoes (to go with the remaining 2 salmon, 1 tuna fillet), fruit yoghurt (to have with porridge oats), raw veg for chunky coleslaw, pepperes and onions to make chilli with 1/2 bag of mince and buns and roast beef because that was what I really really wanted (had mayo and mustard) + spring greens to go with the chilli.

Today I am grateful for roast beef and onion barm cakes, knowing what I want to get done with my next energy surge, and it being a quiet day in the town centre (this part anyway - someone was partying last night).
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 11th Mar 17, 9:04 PM
    • 5,969 Posts
    • 43,552 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful for talking to dh and dd twice, for getting some knitting done, for seeing a little of the rugby, for the charity shop taking back the jigsaw (it had no edge pieces at all!!!) and letting me have a slightly more expensive one in its place, for a reasonable day with mum, for a short walk, for a friend keeping me sane, for the internet, for a dry day.
    NST June #1; NSD 16; Ex 15; craft 89; remove 473
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £2189/£4000; 2
    017 sell 110

Mortgage £24,881 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • misstara
    • By misstara 11th Mar 17, 10:04 PM
    • 2,222 Posts
    • 15,456 Thanks
    misstara
    Today I'm grateful for a NSD, watching the rugby (although not grateful for the score ), surviving a hectic day at work and OH doing the garden.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1663.51 (27.7% paid)
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - 6/12. Groceries target £142.56/£150. NSD target 14/16.
    • Moll
    • By Moll 11th Mar 17, 11:36 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 800 Thanks
    Moll
    HUGEEEEE apologies from me , I haven't been able to join in at all this month and feel bad about it , LOTS of family illness here, and im changing my name to Florence Nightingale.
    Had a good day today though , DD is one of the poorlies so we had GD all day so DD could sleep . had a lovely walk around a local park , GD on her scooter, bought her breakfast at the caf!, egg rolls and fruit shoot for £1.50, bargain . had family visitors, DH fixed sons leak in his bathroom , I had a bag of clothes given me that are brill . right size ,and just my style so I have a new wardrobe to wear, . catching up on everyones posts , still on track though with the NSD and eating out the freezer ,so im still on it ,
    ALMOST FORGOT TO TELL YOU ,I got the bargain of the century today,,,,,,,,,,,i won a food processor and liquidiser on a local bidding site ,,,,,for can I have a drum roll ,,,,,,,,,£1
    NO ONE ELSE BID , I collect it tomorrow, be great for making soups etc
    Last edited by Moll; 11-03-2017 at 11:41 PM.
    • Moll
    • By Moll 11th Mar 17, 11:52 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 800 Thanks
    Moll
    Congratulations Mrs Hubbard wonderful news , we found out we are having a new grand daughter in August,,,,,,,,,,,but they wont tell us the name they've picked so ive got to wait for that
    • ChasingSunshine
    • By ChasingSunshine 12th Mar 17, 6:12 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    ChasingSunshine
    Sorry have been absent for a few days but have just caught up.
    Life has just been hectic but in a good way over last few days so won't complain too much. Up much too early for a Sunday morning but feet are killing me and needed to get up and try get them feeling better. Too much dancing in heels last night but since can't remember the last time that group of friends were all together the bit of pain this morning is worth it!!

Today am grateful for a wonderful night out, a lazy Sunday and a few unexpected hours to get myself sorted this morning.
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 12th Mar 17, 7:28 AM
    • 2,452 Posts
    • 23,124 Thanks
    Fmess
    Morning all,

Spendy day yesterday as got food shopping (only a few bits needed) and picked up my new prescription sunglasses. Suspended my contact lense contract as I haven't been wearing them recently (saving £22 a month ).

Today should be a SFD. So that'll make 8. I have a few chores to do, some school work to cram in and then I'm off for a super long walk with one of the dogs and my friend, before dinner at mum and dad's. I feel really grateful for all the lovely people I have in my life and having my own home and my health

Yesterday I was grateful for:-
    - good weather meaning I got 3 dog walks done
    - motivation to get things sorted
    - my dogs for their company all day
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New Roof Debt £177.97/£8242
    New bathroom savings £1343/£6000
    Jan NST #22 SFD 7/15 Food 114/ 140Personal 155.23/170 Petrol 40/75
    • SkintTeacher
    • By SkintTeacher 12th Mar 17, 8:41 AM
    • 307 Posts
    • 1,699 Thanks
    SkintTeacher
    Morning all! Moll sorry to hear about all the illness. Hope the storm passes soon. Fmess amazing on the NSDs mothernerd great post. Thanks all for your interesting posts, too.

I've been at 80kg for the last week (did go to 79 which was target weight). Have eaten only good stuff,portion control is good and no snacks whatsoever SO I can only assume that fat has converted to muscle (tummy almost flat now and I have the calves of a runner). Boobs WILL NOT GO! Still at least a G and only have 2 bras that fit around the ribs. Tricky with the amount of exercise I'm doing as I have to keep washing them.
    Money-wise, all is well. One month to my wedding and most stuff is done and paid for. April will be a stretch but after that we should be able to save a lot more. I have £900/£1000 in my 'emergency' fund and about £400 in my ISA. Don't want to touch either.
    Looking forward to a swim with little one in a bit and already had a run and did some arm exercises. Then meal out with my 'yoga baby buddies ' - some of whom I haven't seen for months.
    Happy Sunday all!
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 12th Mar 17, 9:10 AM
    • 3,879 Posts
    • 27,224 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning all
    Today will be mostly me being boring. Which is good for me
    I'm tired, so will relax.
    Need company so will go to visit my mam for a catch up and free feed.
    Hoping for a complete non-event of a day (fingers crossed)
    NST June#24 NSD 8/15 RYSAW17 #1 £412.74 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • mrshubbard
    • By mrshubbard 12th Mar 17, 9:51 AM
    • 166 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    mrshubbard
    Thanks everybody

Moll Wow that's a brilliant bargain! We're not telling names either, there's always someone who says something to put you off

I had a naughty day yesterday McDs breakfast as hubby didn't fancy anything in and I thought well if he's having brekkie out so am I. Then lunch at a carvery with mother & father in law and niece which was planned and not expensive. Next to mothercare where I tried on a few bits but am looking for them on ebay but we did buy a toddler carseat restraint thing ( needed - our little man is a houdini) and 1 Flash babygrow as little man has a Flash tshirt and we thought it'd look cute together. Then bobbed to a friends to share baby news and ended up staying for takeaway. I hang my head in shame!

We're out today meeting friends at the beach for a vw thing but have packed stuff to make our own brews, we'd usually nip to the McDs nearby. Will be having lunch out though so another spendy day

Lost my motivation for some reason this last few days so need to get my head back in the money saving mode.

Catching up on last few days challenges - have now cleared my bedside cupboard and thrown some stuff away and have a small pile for the charity shop. Also picked out 3 pairs of pants to sell. Need to do the wardrobe next. Round at my mum and dads tomorrow and their bookcase is always good for a raid of whatever's new to start reading.

Use it or lose it Unusual ingredients I usually see if my mums got before I buy, also if I've just one thing I need rather than go to the shop as she's so close by. My hubby, his brither & his dad all swap tools they need rather than all have them. My mum used to have an allotment and always gave us lots of stuff but has given it up now. Once the gardens done I'd like to grow a few bits we have a lot of - salad, tomatoes, strawberries, etc

Wellbeing We went for an hours walk with the dog yesterday and will be out most of today wandering around the prom. Nice bit of sea air is good for the soul. I always feel refreshed walking by the sea or rivers, canals, lakes
    1 debt vs 100 days -0/£1600
    Debtfree by Xmas17 #161 0/£2700
    365 day penny challenge - £73.79/£667.95
    NST - 3/15 NSDs 104/£200 food 57.99/£100 garden 47/£100 spends
    Debts - CC1-4438.89 CC2-4560.38 £4260.38 CC3-£10,326£10,155.85 CC4 - £2700
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 12th Mar 17, 11:56 AM
    • 1,905 Posts
    • 19,311 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Day twelve Inspiration

The first to Apologize is the Bravest
    The first to Forgive is the Strongest
    The first to Forget is the Happiest

Day Twelve
    Use it or Lose It
    No you haven't lost the plot and neither have I (pretty sure about that). I spoke yesterday about the need to treat yourself with the same courtesy that you would a friend.

So today I would like you to repeat this exercise, for yourself. I still remember things I said in my twenties that make me cringe. Casual remarks or something that sounded different said out loud than it did in my head and yes sometimes, something that was meant to be cutting or hurtful.

Let go of all those remarks (if the friend is still speaking to you, it can't have been all that bad). Stop them taking up headspace, just learn what you can from them and let them go.

Originally posted by mothernerd
    Day Twelve Wellbeing
    Unsubscribe from unnecessary (or tempting) e-mails.
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 12th Mar 17, 2:46 PM
    • 1,905 Posts
    • 19,311 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Does today's post make sense or am I going against the spirit (or intention) of the original post? Sorry got a nagging headache and not thinking straight.

I know that I expect much better behaviour of myself than I would expect to receive from others and I think we all tend to hold on to things too much. Just let it go (don't sing, please don't sing).
    • SkintTeacher
    • By SkintTeacher 12th Mar 17, 8:11 PM
    • 307 Posts
    • 1,699 Thanks
    SkintTeacher
    Makes sense to me! Stop being your own worst critic, right!?

Gratitudes:
    1) An amazing hen meal out - useful presents and a real heart to heart
    2) discovering a new swimming pool which is gorgeous - spent an hour there with the little one
    3) a cheap (ish) weekend despite two)(planned) meals out - all in all I think I spent £60 this weekend which is well within budget
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,291Posts Today

7,938Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A year of fighting to break the link between mental illness and money problems... https://t.co/LXgjxdv36O

• Today's twitter poll: Is Conservative pact with DUP necessary for stable govt during the crucial Brexit time, or should it've stayed alone?

• RT @thisismoney: First cash machine was used 50 years ago today: 50 facts you never knew about ATMs https://t.co/nh5kqb5Ml5

• Follow Martin