Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 25th Feb 17, 7:40 PM
    • 1,867Posts
    • 18,984Thanks
    mothernerd
    NST Muddy March Marathon
    • 25th Feb 17, 7:40 PM
    NST Muddy March Marathon 25th Feb 17 at 7:40 PM
    NST: MUDDY MARCH MARATHON

Inspired by the Zumba Twins (my niece and her wife) who completed a 10k mud run in aid of their local hospice last month and in despair at the impossibility of following Captain abundant's Winter Voyage, I have decided that in March we will run a
    Muddy March Marathon.

M March comes in like a lion and out like a lamb, they say. However March is a lot more varied than that and usually manages to throw a bit of everything at us. So it is, in life, and on our debt free journey. Some months we sail through, accumulating NSDs, knocking chunks off our debts. Others we struggle, barely recovering from one setback before the next hits us. This March, we will be adopting the American Indian mantra
    Live in the Spirit of the Season”

Whatever the weather throws at us (or life or debt free journey) we will embrace it, enjoy the challenge, celebrate and commiserate with each other. We will relish any signs of Spring approaching but will also splash through the puddles (or slush), fizzle through the fog and giggle at the gales. The March Challenge runs from 1st March to midnight on the 31st March.

U Use it or Lose it is our second theme for the month. Both words have many conotations so from using what we have in the cupboard, reusing something for a repair, putting skills we have to good use and losing (rehoming/ selling/ giving to the charity shop for it to find someone who loves it) any unwanted/ needed possessions (captain abundant advised us to look through out wardrobes last month) and turn them into cash or return them to productive life. We are all short of space (and time and money) so each day I will try to give a helpful example and welcome you to add your own. Useful ways of making the most of what we have and using what we have wisely.

D Debt Free Date Do you know yours? How much should you be paying towards your debt or savings each month to reach your target. Mine was always a bit vague – basically “When I sell the house”. When that was done, I paid for mum's (and mine? Help – she's already deciding where 'we' will go on holiday) much needed bungalow and paid all my debts. Going forward, not having the burden of two sets of household bills is a great improvement. I have a very modest income but it is sufficient.

D Debt or Savings First An important turtle rule, instigated by our original leader Ninja Saving Kat*. Anything left after debt (savings) payments and other regular outgoings (dd for utilities, council tax, rent or mortgage) is for you to live on (food, petrol or bus fares to get to work, 'extras'). If it is not enough, how will you bridge the gap – extra income or cutting back, phones, tvs, alcohol and 'classes' are all choices. If your budget is tight, how do these extras compare to your need to get rid of your debt/ buy a house/ retire early? I am not suggesting that you forgo fun. Turtles love fun. We love free fun best of all. But when you have a serious debt problem you need to look at your past choices and how you go forward. * See turtle back story at post 2

Y You will set all your BUDGETS before the start of the month. You are in control of your money, the money (or spending is not in control of you). (I want to sing 'You're not the boss of me' from Malcolm in the Middle). Food, travel (petrol, public transport, maintenance), any kids clubs (this can be put into a separate 'purse' or 'envelope' at the start of the month and will then not affect your NSDs. All regular outgoings including 'personal' spending money.

M Monitor Your Goals. Misstara encouraged us to set goals at the beginning of the year and Captain abundant asked us to check them last month. As we enter a new month, we should do so again. Are you reaching your current goals? If you are meeting your current target(s) easily then maybe it is time to move forward a step and stretch yourself? If it isn't happening, you need to revisit your goals, revise your first step (better to do 10 minutes exercise a day rather than fail to get to the gym, repeatedly). Identify any snags/ obstacles and work out how to overcome them. * BHF suggestions on setting goals and keeping on target in post 15(as suggested by Captain abundant). New comers feel welcome to think about and post your own goals for the year.

A Avoid takeaways, canteens (unless bargainaceous subsidised ones), vending machines, costalot coffee and all their ilk. Take your lunch to work (from home) every day and where possible take your own food or snacks for hospital appointments (if travelling or out at meal times), cinema visits, days out. Some turtles allow themselves some purchases from this section (budgetted for as a special treat). If you are stuck and have to purchase, try to support a local cause or cafe (ie 'friends' cafe), rather than a chain. The rule is there because small spends ('only a drink')like this can add up to a large amount over the year – see Martin's demotivator and making your own lunches (and meals at home from scratch) can give huge financial benefits as well as being healthier (no hidden sugar, fat, additives).

R Remember those in Need. Donate to your local food bank or charity of your choice. Money, goods or time. Remember the numerous charity shops when clearing your house – your unwanted item could be just what someone needs. Apologies to those with children whose schools are constantly demanding 'donations' (especially making you pay through the nose for uniform and then charging you for your children not wearing it).

C Cupboard audit (+ fridge and freezer), Meal Planning and Cooking from Scratch are all great aids to saving money. What do you have in, what can you make with it, what do you need to buy. Again several turtles are full of ideas for recipes, special diets, how to use that bag of whatever that has been sitting at the back of the cupboard since the year dot. We can even get children to eat veg. Save time by knowing what you are going to cook or cook at weekends and days off and have hm ready meals.

H HELP and Advice are always available. If you don't understand something, need clarification or are just drowning in despair, just yell. The turtle gang will respond.

M Mistakes. We all make them. We all slip up, forget things, go off the rails. One slip is not a failure, do not write off the month. Get yourself back on track as soon as possible. Don't be afraid to ask for help or ideas for how to solve a particular problem

A Avoid temptation. Retailers want your money. You do not have to give it to them. They have all sorts of tricks to get you to spend. Be wary. Product xyz will not transform your life. Focus on what you want to achieve. What is a need and what is a 'want'? Who or what is driving that 'want'. Check your mood (applies to eating things you shouldn't as well). Are you sad, fed up, angry, bored. Think about that feeling (all feelings are valid). Will that purchase (or comestible) solve the problem? How else can you deal with it or make yourself feel better?

R Repairs Every little helps. Last month I was congrtatulated on being able to sew/ alter my own clothes. It's a skill I am glad to have (largely self-taught although surrounded by sewers). However something as simple as knowing how to sew on a button can help. Would you throw out a blouse (which cost you £30? - sorry I only know charity shop prices) because a button fell off? Many people do. Fix something in your house or wardrobe this month and feel good about it. The days are getting longer. Make a list of small household jobs and repairs that need doing (even tidying 'that' drawer which never gets sorted). Start with the things you can do yourself for little or no cost.

A Attend regularly. Daily posting is recommended. If you can't face posting (usually when we have done something wrong) carry on reading. We mostly confess after a day or two and the turtles will help you aviod the 'mistake' in future.

T Try to follow the rules. Turtle rules are tough (and can be confusing at first). You sign up to the rules and should try your best to follow them all. No turtle is ever left behind. Think of the rules as woodworking tools. A hammer (something we can all use?) knocks nails into things/ joins things together, sometimes a bit crudely. Think about saws (all different types for different jobs), chisels and planes and different fixings (screws, nuts and bolts). Think about the fine furniture you could make if you could use all those tools properly.

Turtle rules are like those tools. Some are simple and effective – if you avoid shops (and the internet) like the plague, you will save money. Some are more subtle, may require skill in applying, take longer to fully utilise but he more rules you use, regularly, the easier it becomes to reach your target.

H Health. Another important facet of the turtle gang. I promised you a marathon, we will be getting down and dirty with lots of sweaty lycra (optional) exercise. Lots of turtles have weight loss as a goal and for that we need to look at food intake and getting moving. Healthy eating I am going to be boring and say eat your veg. Very few of us are getting enough. Healthy exercise check your existing target and step it up 5 days a week. Do a bit more (extra class/ add to the length of your walk or run/ do more at home). Mental Health lots of us are suffering setbacks, low moods and stress. I will not be setting weekly mini-challenges this month but I have seen a 21 day wellness exercise which I might quote and I also have the book of mindfulness exercises. I will be continuing the daily gratitudes, you decide if you want to.

O Outside. Lovely place. Get out there as often as possible, soak up any available daylight (it is really sunlight, I promise, even if it doesn't feel like it). Enjoy those invigorating breezes (imagine you are on a tropical island, it's all a question of degree). Helps to boost your immune system.

N No Spend Days. Aim for 15. If you made it in February, March is easy because you have days on which to spend. If you didn't quite make it, believe you can do it this time and plan to do so. If you do not follow the NSD target as you have another way that works for you, carry on. The original idea of NSDs is to avoid 'popping into' the shops for one or two things and coming out with a basket load. If you are disciplined enough to buy only what is on your list (ys or yellow sticker goods are exempt, provided it is something you will use or a treat you would only buy at a greatly reduced price). Medical necessities (including hospital parking), ys goodies (as long as nothing else is purchased) and filling up with petrol (again as long as it is from a set petrol budget – or diesel- and nothing else is purchsed) will not lose you a NSD. Unfortunately chocolate is not a medical necessity.
    Last edited by mothernerd; 26-02-2017 at 12:21 PM.
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy 2017 Weight loss 4lb NST Ap No2 SFD 13/16 Budget Food£196.46/ £100 Transport £3/£20.Ext £/39.47 £40 EF 28/01/16 Mortgage Free 5.1 1982 Debt Free 11/01/2016
    Progress through plodding, baby steps and purposeful pottering
Page 14
    • Calling14
    • By Calling14 10th Mar 17, 11:06 AM
    • 2,349 Posts
    • 17,336 Thanks
    Calling14
    Inspiration

[/B]Happiness can be found in the darkest of times if only one remembers to turn on the light.
    Albus Dumbledore.
    by mothernerd;72230041
    [B
    Love it Mothernerd.

Thrifty - I have avoided the scales this week as felt so awful. Hormones going into overdrive.

Spendy day today my hair gets its quarterly cut/ fluff about.

Grateful for

My nerves calming down today, can't explain but been on edge this week no idea why. Found a few hrs spent in the garden calmed me down.

Friday and I finish at 12 for a change today.

Pamper haircut.
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 NOW 2500
    PAYDBX 2017 #16 1800/4300 DFD 10/17 ?
    E
    Fund #9 £120/£1,000
    1 x 100 days challenge25 No 2 480/1000
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 10th Mar 17, 11:53 AM
    • 2,833 Posts
    • 23,032 Thanks
    thriftylass
    I'm pretty sure that you can because it's what you do if for instance you want to write something in German and need the a and u with umlauts (two little dots) on top - think there should be one on the a in umlaut. Thrifty will tell me. Or the Swedish letters A and O with a circle above them (know that because the typewriter we had - old black one with hinged keys had them).
    Originally posted by mothernerd
    I couldn't find how to do it but I'm sure I did it once. Nowadays I just use "insert Symbol".

Try system manager and keyboard.
    NST April no 14
    SFD 0/18 spends all in 0/650 Exercise 0/15
    Debt - all 0% 1459 to go from 5290 (71% paid off)
    DFD 9/2017 Mortgage 109543 (04/17) 16 years left

Stopped smoking 01/01/2017
    • greent
    • By greent 10th Mar 17, 5:29 PM
    • 5,712 Posts
    • 57,797 Thanks
    greent
    ANother NSD here (the 'benefit' of being at work! ) Posted off a survey item which I'd had to wear and give feedback on - should receive £15 in vouchers for that within the next couple of weeks ALso posted a small box of books and dvds off to Ziffit - about £7 worth. Only found 1 thing to get rid of today, but I am up to 400ish for the year so far

Today I am grateful for:
    * yummy cakes at work made by my boss's mum
    * Hearing from DD who went to A&E last night in pain and had fainted several times from the pain - turns out it was probably kidney stones (she's only 19 ) (I wasn't aware of this happening until just - am glad she has a lovely boyfriend and that they (A&E staff) ruled out other more serious things being wrong with her)
    * a sunny afternoon - even if I spent it in work!

ETA - DD only ended up at A&E last night after failing yesterday to get a GP appointment before next Friday and then fainting twice more from the pain before agreeing to go to A&E
    Last edited by greent; 10-03-2017 at 7:53 PM.
    Repaid mtge early (orig end 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next up: BTL Mtge Op Bal £69786. Cur Bal £67286 - 2017 target (18) £1000/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £435.84/£500 PAYDOX17 £8983/£10k Apr GC £265.66/£500 NSD 14 Decluttered 696/2017 items
    • SkintTeacher
    • By SkintTeacher 10th Mar 17, 7:59 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 1,425 Thanks
    SkintTeacher
    Grateful for :
    the weekend
    An NSD
    Chats with friends
    OH getting his suit sorted for our wedding
    Resisting amazing biscuits at work
    Compliments
    A hilarious 4 year old
    Popcorn (a cheap way to treat said 4 year old!)
    • mrshubbard
    • By mrshubbard 10th Mar 17, 8:11 PM
    • 143 Posts
    • 841 Thanks
    mrshubbard
    Today was not a NSD.

Had my 20 week scan and we're having another little boy

Met my hubby after my little boy's swimming lesson and had some scrambled egg on toast and a brew which was £6.75. Then went to town and spent my birthday money on some cropped maternity jeans I couldn't find on ebay and some pampering. Took my little boys library books back and forgot to get myself one.

Use it or lose it I do puzzles every day. I have a sudoku and cryptic crossword book I was bough as presents that I'm working through. I also get my FILs newspapers when he's done which have a few puzzle pages in them. I love Only Connect - that really gets my brain working hard

Wellbeing We have so much stuff in our house we don't use anymore but I get stuck in the trap of thinking we paid for it so don't want to throw that money away. Really it's just taking up space and some of it we could sell, even if it's for a fraction of the cost it'd still be money in the pocket. I still need to find more stuff to sell on Ziffit - job for tomorrow.
    1 debt vs 100 days -£120/£2681.13
    365 day penny challenge - £43.57/£667.95
    MSE action a week challenge 6/52
    NST - 0/16 NSDs £0/£200 food budget Far too much already! spends
    Debts - CC1-£2625.49 £2379.65 CC2-4560.38 £4460.38 CC3-£10,326£10,155.85
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 10th Mar 17, 8:26 PM
    • 5,742 Posts
    • 41,932 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful for a super smooth journey to mum's, for catching up with big sis, for laughs with mum, for getting mum chattering away about her early teaching career, for jigsaws, for quick and easy food, for fresh air, for the good company of one of mum's friends, for the colourful primulas in the garden, for a good walk.

Mrshubbard - yay to another little boy!!
    NST April #10; NSD 17; Ex 16; craft 68; remove 135
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £1720/£4000; 2
    017 sell 30

Mortgage £27,295 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • SkintTeacher
    • By SkintTeacher 10th Mar 17, 8:47 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 1,425 Thanks
    SkintTeacher
    Mrshubbard - very exciting news!!!
    • Jo Blogs
    • By Jo Blogs 10th Mar 17, 8:58 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 1,651 Thanks
    Jo Blogs
    Well done everyone Congratulations Mrshubbard
    Saved Nitty Gritty £3167.67 [63.36%] / £5000-[May] £348.00 for the 'Save 12k in 2017' #157
    2017 Womble #35 £2529.01 April NSDs 23/25CCCChl 18/52 weeks
    Apl PPChl#002 Pts 195
    • Calling14
    • By Calling14 10th Mar 17, 9:06 PM
    • 2,349 Posts
    • 17,336 Thanks
    Calling14
    Congratulations Mrshubbard very MSE can on clothes ��
    Last edited by Calling14; 11-03-2017 at 5:19 PM.
    E
    Fund #9 £120/£1,000
    • Calling14
    • By Calling14 10th Mar 17, 9:31 PM
    • 2,349 Posts
    • 17,336 Thanks
    Calling14
    Well haircut, roots dyed and highlights put in. Very happy with price as well.
    Continued in spending mode. Having put weight on, took the plunge and got measured and bought a new bra. Was getting backache a lot lately. Luckily had some survey vouchers so small spend. Bought myself a Stir fry meal,which last me 2 days, as a treat good old vouchers, extra fruit as full if mouth ulcers today. £8 cash parted with.

Bought some dressy leggings and t shirts as desperate for clothes. I seem to buy work clothes all the time and have nothing to wear at home. £36 spend that's me plonking myself down on naughty step. Will clear my wardrobe of the same number that I bought. Most ready to be cleaning cloths.

Well being -Exercise well decent walk planned tomorrow with dd, hope my mouth ulcers clear up by then

Use it or lose it - dislike puzzles, try to keep brain active in other ways, does hrs of Junior monopoly count?
    E
    Fund #9 £120/£1,000
    • The Only Girl
    • By The Only Girl 10th Mar 17, 9:55 PM
    • 852 Posts
    • 7,211 Thanks
    The Only Girl
    Hi all, sorry for not posting for the last three days. Been wiped out this week, I feel like my body is craving for sleep. I sleep early and have 8 hrs uninterrupted sleep but still wake up exhausted.

Managed to earn 2 NSD's on Wednesday and today. 8 NSD's in total out of the target 15. Had to do a top up shop yesterday, had some amazing ys haul. I noticed that the prices have gone quite a bit and without the ys haul I would probably be overspent every month.

Because of my exhaustion, didn't manage to do any decluttering at all as I have planned. Did manage to do so at work though. Did a big tidy up and eliminated things we haven't used for a while. Still have a long way to go but glad to be taking baby steps with regard to decluttering.

Bed is calling me again so I'll hit the sack and bid you all a good night and a relaxing weekend. Congratulations mrshubbard.
    [CENTER][B]"There is Life AFTER DEBT."
    LBM 2009 Total Debt £49046.24 Debt Free as of 27/08/2015
    • abundant1972
    • By abundant1972 10th Mar 17, 11:10 PM
    • 1,118 Posts
    • 8,119 Thanks
    abundant1972
    Evening...

Today I am grateful for:
    • Patience amidst testing times at work
    • For feeling included and part of a team
    • For my housemate inviting me to watch a film
    Today = NSD number 5

I was so tired this morning - and so ready for weekend. Nothing planned other than gym/walks - so I will make a pledge to do some soul searching, try and let a few things go (thanks Mothernerd).

Use it or lose it : Memory - I read only this week about a technique called 'memory palace' which Sherlock Holmes used in this series I think. I've put a link below. I might give that a go, and see if I can improve mine.

http://mt.artofmemory.com/wiki/How_to_Build_a_Memory_Palace

Wellbeing : 5 thing Give-away - I'll have a hunt over the weekend for 5 things I no longer need or use. I had a clear out last month - but I am sure there are other things that can find a home elsewhere...

Greent - I am glad your DD is ok and on the mend.

MrsHubbard - Congratulations on the news of your scan and your little boy!

Catch you all tomorrow
    ** 0% Debt £475.00 DFD 30/09/17**
    Follow your heart & be true to yourself always
    Help To Buy ISA = £3683.65. EF = £1316.35/£4500.00
    NST April : NSD=11/15. Food /Spends Used : £MAX / £225.00
    365 Day 1p Challenge = £255.39/£667.95. £1.00 a Day = £120.00/£365.00
    Meditation = 0/7. Exercise Sessions 0/3. Cash Bonus = £114/£399.00
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 11th Mar 17, 12:27 AM
    • 1,867 Posts
    • 18,984 Thanks
    mothernerd
    I couldn't find how to do it but I'm sure I did it once. Nowadays I just use "insert Symbol".

Try system manager and keyboard.
    Originally posted by thriftylass
    That's exactly it - I know you can do it because I have done it at some stage in the past. If I ask one of the boys how do I do such and such or where do I go (what heading is it under) they look at me as if I am mad. So many thing I used to know that have gone (get annoyed at quiz questions because I know that I once knew how long all the 8 principal horse races were or what each size of champagne bottle is called and how much is in them).

Free washing detergent, so useful with small children.

Greent well done on exercise and taking time to listen to the birdsong. Hooray for batch cooking. Glad DD is okay.

ilovetea clouds are endlessly fascinating.

Apple so glad the doctors checked DDs eyes thoroughly. They seem to be more pro-active.

mrshubbard Congratulations on a new baby boy to look forward to.

F0xh0les When I bought this house (1981) it had been boarded up for 11 years and the last people to live here had used lovely 1960s psychedelic colours on the doors and skirtings - black, deep purple and strong turquoise. I used nitromors "removes up to 7 coats in one go" to strip them. Each layer had to be done seperately, slowly
    and painfully. Right down to the original Victorian institutional dark green (when I got that far, gave up with some).

Calling Your spending sounds reasonable (I need somebody onside for when I reach my target weight and want to splurge a little). NSK lobs missiles from the side (How could you have avoided spending? Did you go for a walk round and a think before you went back to purchase? ) Enjoy.

SkintTeacher lovely fun gratitudes.

Tog Sleep well.

abundant yay for the weekend. Have fun. The memory palace is a bit like the de Bono method (mindmapping) but you substitute the things on your list with ridiculous items eg if buying things for a child's birthday - mini sausages, toy gorilla, cupcakes, music for playing games, party hats and bags you might imagine walking into a kitchen where King Kong in a sailor suit is making cup cakes (in real teacups) whilst little sausages in funny hats are dancing round their hand bags on the worktop to disco music. The dafter the image, the easier it is to remember.

I have slept for most of the day and feel so much better for it. I have done a little work each time I have woken up (more or less properly awake since tea time) and have achieved quite a bit.

I have a meal plan to use up the last remaining items in the freezer, persuaded DS3 and Beloved to have (cook from frozen) roast chicken breasts with oven chips and veg (broc/ cauli mix and carrot/peas/green beans and sweetcorn mix - finished off a bag of each). That can be repeated, they have enough chicken burgers/ buns and chips or wedges for a couple of meals, I have the last bacon soup + one other which leaves the remaining veg - so probably cauli/ broc cheese, veg curry and Mexican rice salad. Freezer is last thing in the kitchen needing cleaning.

Feeling alert now so have a cut down to size pile of filing which is going to be defeated and put back in it's box and another possible task if there's any energy left over, then read, sleep and repeat (2 wash loads accumulating).

Today I am grateful for sleeping as long as my body wanted to, for finally being over the cough and sore throat and for the never ending tableau of life on a car park - full size and fast response ambulances at the Town Hall today but ill person came out walking.
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy 2017 Weight loss 4lb NST Ap No2 SFD 13/16 Budget Food£196.46/ £100 Transport £3/£20.Ext £/39.47 £40 EF 28/01/16 Mortgage Free 5.1 1982 Debt Free 11/01/2016
    • Jo Blogs
    • By Jo Blogs 11th Mar 17, 2:08 AM
    • 560 Posts
    • 1,651 Thanks
    Jo Blogs
    Good morning everyone Hope you are all well and have a great day
    Saved Nitty Gritty £3167.67 [63.36%] / £5000-[May] £348.00 for the 'Save 12k in 2017' #157
    2017 Womble #35 £2529.01 April NSDs 23/25CCCChl 18/52 weeks
    Apl PPChl#002 Pts 195
    • misstara
    • By misstara 11th Mar 17, 6:30 AM
    • 2,124 Posts
    • 14,711 Thanks
    misstara
    Thanks for the info thrifty and mothernerd, I shall give it a go.

Congratulations mrshubbard

Didn't manage to post yesterday as I watched the rugby and then went straight to bed. Felt exhausted and actually dosed off for a bit during the rugby . Still feel tired today so will monitor how I am over the weekend and say to the doctor on Tuesday if I feel the same, my iron levels may need checking again.

It was a NSD yesterday which takes me to 4/15, got some catching up to do.

Yesterday I was grateful for a good first day back at work, a yummy tea and the rugby.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £231.13 (97.8% paid)
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1758.22 (23.6% paid)
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - 4/12. Groceries target £131.84/£135. NSD target 15/16.
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 11th Mar 17, 6:44 AM
    • 2,423 Posts
    • 22,857 Thanks
    Fmess
    Morning all,

Up to 7 SFDs now, went for a coffee yesterday but as I paid last time, my friend paid

Today will be spendy as I need to retrieve my new prescription sunglasses from town (and pay for parking) and then pick up a few items from aldee. Budgets are tight due to more vets visits and healthy joint tablets for the dogs but I have no social plans for two weeks, which will help.

Today I will clear out at least five items, do the cleaning and batch cooking and make sure I get plenty of dog walking in.

Have a lovely day all
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New Roof Debt £177.97/£8242
    New bathroom savings £1343/£6000
    Jan NST #22 SFD 7/15 Food 114/ 140Personal 155.23/170 Petrol 40/75
    • ilovetea
    • By ilovetea 11th Mar 17, 10:52 AM
    • 764 Posts
    • 5,636 Thanks
    ilovetea
    Good morning.
    Been out and got my shopping. A loaf, That's all,nothing else wanted. Cost 85p though.
    Hope to do some decluttering when I've had this cuppa and watch the rugby at 4 o'clock.
    No clouds to watch as every bit of sky is grey
    Hope you all have a good weekend,

ilovetea xx
    £2017 in 2017. #2 £497.89
    17/20 NSD. Household £34.49/£120.Personal £24. 20/£40.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 11th Mar 17, 10:55 AM
    • 775 Posts
    • 5,404 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Morning all!

I love the daily quick crossword online on The Gourdion website. So many on there, zero cost.
    LBC makes me think too. I love political talk radio and LBC/GLR were a constant while growing up. I was so happy when it found it on DAB.

Today is for finishing off the bookshelves I am screwing to the wall, so can give away the sentinal bookcases in the hall. Might just bung them in the front garden with a 'Take me I'm Free!' sticker on them. Or streetlife them, either or, but I will wait until it is brighter out and they won't be in danger of getting wet. If the books/cds/dvds/computer game cases are on the walls (cheap insulation- bonus!) then I can lose the cases and the room looks bigger. Clearing out old yellow pages/argos catalogues/ thompsons directories/ manuals that have somehow got into the bookcases by Osmosis (anyone else a fan of Mystery Hour on LBC?)

And a fun filled afternoon of painting doors (yawn).

I am grateful for
    *DH volunteering to pay kids' cheques into bank so I don't have to go into town,
    *DH taking DS1 to town to play soldiers in G4mes W0rkshop,
    *finishing shelves
    *finishing doors
    * that we are all healthy, happy and know we love each other, even if we get on each other's nerves sometimes.
    MFW May£118,340 A£117 S£116 N£115, D£114 J£114 Feb £113,500 M £112,800 April112,250 - next goal- £110k) SPC #59 Very Special Agent Womble #15 NST#9 Competition wins..0 Free Amazon vouchers £13 YouGov £39.00 (£50 Nov) Tesco £8.00
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 11th Mar 17, 12:22 PM
    • 348 Posts
    • 2,693 Thanks
    Lauralozzle
    Afternoon,

I've been quiet for the past few days. I've been pretty busy with work and everything else has taken a bit of a back-burner.

But now I'm back in full throttle. I've managed 5 NSD so far - today should be number 6 but I need to go shopping on Sunday so won't manage one then. If I stick to plan I should hit target though.

I'm really bad at crosswords etc and find them really difficult but like the idea of engaging my mind and doing puzzles regularly.
    April grocery challenge £160.24/£250| Emergency £1,000 challenge - £685/£1,000 | April NSD 12/16
    Credit Card: PAID | Car Finance: £9,738 (7.9% APR) | Mortgage: £112,601 (3.99% APR)
    Wedding Fund: £3,1858.35
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 11th Mar 17, 12:23 PM
    • 1,867 Posts
    • 18,984 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Day Eleven
    Use It or Lose It
    Not strictly a use it or lose it, 'cadging'. That has negative conotations. More using limited resources wisely and getting them to the appropriate location.

I have made a habit of asking mum if she has a particular ingredient before I buy it. She has often bought something for a particular recipe and it has lain unused in the back of a cupboard or has something that came with a magazine. I also used it with diy materials, when I needed a small amount of putty for a repair or paint (not particular about the colour) to brighten up plant pots (old buckets) in the garden. It helped her because her partner is a hoarder but would let things go if some one else had need of them - his family never bought anything without checking his supplies first.

It also applies to large infrequently used items of equipment - why buy and take up cupboard space for a carpet cleaner that gets used twice a year? Check whether renting makes more sense or if a friend or relative owns the item in question (streetbank is good for this too). Neighbourhood tool banks were popular for a while but don't seem to have lasted.

Many commercial organisations (sorry to mention work when it is a day off for many of you) have equipment and materials they no longer need - you could ask about donating it to a voluntary organisation (sometimes the local CVS will co-ordinate this).

My parents bought a house when I was 10. Within two months we had gone through the floorboards (rot) and my parents had spent all their money on getting the house and had nothing left over. We had a 3' hole where the middle room and hallway should be (you opened the front door and then balanced across planks on bricks to get through.

The hallway was soon sorted - a contact with a local building firm with a part load of cement with large pebbles in it. The load needs to be emptied out because it would set hard inside the mixer lorry so they sell it cheaply but you don't get much warning about it arriving. The room took much longer.

The local Salvation Army had a wall they were going to replace (it had been rebuilt twice and fallen down again). My father paid a donation and we collected all the old bricks which went some way to filling the hole.

Day 11 Wellbeing

Get some sun - eat lunch outside.
    (a brisk walk might be mor to the point). I am using this list, I didn't write it.

Inspiration

Just keep plodding Beanilou.
    Sometimes we forge ahead on our debt free journey. Sometimes it's difficult and we feel like we are treading water and barely keeping afloat. Then you just keep plodding.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

85Posts Today

3,202Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @EmmaDark30: @MartinSLewis off on holiday next month all paid for with free cash for switching bank accounts! Thank you!

• MSE weekly email: Big Energy Switch 7, £5 Next/Zara etc, buy euros now?, 10xNectar, 2for1 gardens, urgent easyjet https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Today's Twitter poll 2: following on, which of these professions would you trust least if you were using their services?

• Follow Martin