Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 25th Feb 17, 2:02 PM
    • 3,211Posts
    • 1,228Thanks
    footyguy
    Ebico / SSE partnership has ended!
    • 25th Feb 17, 2:02 PM
    Ebico / SSE partnership has ended! 25th Feb 17 at 2:02 PM
    Seems SSE have taken umbrage at Ebico getting into bed with Robin Hood Energy, and the long term partnsership is over:

SSE has now closed EquiGas/EquiPower to new sales and can no longer assure us that the EquiGas/EquiPower tariff will remain in market for a reasonable period of time. As a result, we have brought our partnership with SSE to a close.
    read more here:
    https://ebico.org.uk/ebico-news/new-cheaper-gas-and-electricity-tariffs-under-the-new-partnership-with-robin-hood-energy/
Page 9
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 15th Mar 17, 2:25 PM
    • 2,989 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    Anthorn
    Is this evidence enough... Here is part of my letter...It's got the ebico logo at the top but has been sent from sse with my account number on.
    Originally posted by Stuart_W
    No; That letter points to an increase in the standard tariff (as posted on the SSE website which I linked to in my previous post) and points to Equipower paid by direct debit being cheaper. There is not even any indication of who sent that letter. Going by your own post it looks like the letter came from Ebico and not SSE. In fact that last piece of information on the alleged letter is wrong or at least incomplete: The discount for paying by direct debit does not apply to Ebico tariffs:
    3 Paying by Direct Debit means you will receive a discount of 40 per annum, per fuel, deducted proportionately from your standing charge on a pence per day basis, when compared to using an alternative payment method. Discounts are inclusive of VAT at 5%. The following are excluded: energyplus Care, Woolwich Domestic Heat, EDN, EBICO and Pay As You Go.
    https://sse.co.uk/price-change

Overall, if I don't get such a letter I don't believe it. There is too much variation in this thread over alleged letters for me to believe it.
    Last edited by Anthorn; 15-03-2017 at 2:31 PM.
    • uk1
    • By uk1 15th Mar 17, 3:29 PM
    • 985 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    uk1
    Robin Hood, Robin Hood, riding through the glen
    Robin Hood, Robin Hood, with his band of men
    Feared by the bad, loved by the good Robin Hood,
    Robin Hood, Robin Hood

He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green
    They vowed to help the people of the king
    They handled all the troubles on the English country scene
    And still found plenty of time to sing

He came to Sherwood Forest with a feather in his cap
    A fighter never looking for a fight
    His bow was always ready, and he kept his arrows sharp.
    He used them to fight for what was right

With Friar Tuck and Little John they had a roguish look,
    They did the deed the others wouldn't dare.
    He captured all the money that the evil sheriff took,
    And rescued many a lady fair

To cheating and corruption, he would never, never yield
    And danger was his breakfast ev'ry day
    The cobler in the hamlet and the farmer in the field
    Were always helping him get away

He rode up to the palace and was cheered by ev'ryone
    His Lady Marian threw him a rose
    The King of England knighted him the Earl Of Huntingdon
    And that's the way that the legend goes.......
    • Stuart_W
    • By Stuart_W 15th Mar 17, 3:32 PM
    • 1,355 Posts
    • 642 Thanks
    Stuart_W
    No; That letter points to an increase in the standard tariff (as posted on the SSE website which I linked to in my previous post) and points to Equipower paid by direct debit being cheaper. There is not even any indication of who sent that letter. Going by your own post it looks like the letter came from Ebico and not SSE. In fact that last piece of information on the alleged letter is wrong or at least incomplete: The discount for paying by direct debit does not apply to Ebico tariffs:

https://sse.co.uk/price-change

Overall, if I don't get such a letter I don't believe it. There is too much variation in this thread over alleged letters for me to believe it.
    Originally posted by Anthorn
    You are calling the letter in the photograph I posted "an alleged" letter now - you reckon I made it up? You really are going to take some convincing. Look at it carefully. It is NOT the SSE standard tariff, it is Ebico's Equipower tariff - you can see that from the fact the standing charge is 0.00p per day, surely.

If you'd read it properly you'd see it says that I could save 0.00 per year on Equipower paying by month direct debit, which correctly indicates no discount for paying by direct debit.
    • whattochoose
    • By whattochoose 15th Mar 17, 4:15 PM
    • 267 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    whattochoose
    You are calling the letter in the photograph I posted "an alleged" letter now - you reckon I made it up? You really are going to take some convincing. Look at it carefully. It is NOT the SSE standard tariff, it is Ebico's Equipower tariff - you can see that from the fact the standing charge is 0.00p per day, surely.

If you'd read it properly you'd see it says that I could save 0.00 per year on Equipower paying by month direct debit, which correctly indicates no discount for paying by direct debit.
    I agree with you Stuart_W. I received a letter which had the Ebico logo on it, but it definitely came from SSE, because it was signed by the person I had spoken to when ringing the SSE number.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 15th Mar 17, 4:21 PM
    • 2,989 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    Anthorn

What I see coming from Ebico is scare-mongering, rhetoric and a hard sell in favour of RHE and not in any way impartial, accurate information and advice. Is it any wonder that I distrust what Ebico says? It is pretty much confirmed by two posts in this thread that the letter was in fact received from Ebico!

My other related point is that in embarking on their hard sell Ebico appear to have forgotten all about those in fuel poverty in receipt of Warm Home Discount that Ebico is pledged to help who will lose their WHD if they transfer to RHE. Is it just a coincidence that RHE also have that very same failing in forgetting those in fuel poverty who they too are pledged to help?

Lastly, if I see it with my own eyes I'll believe it. I think it's pretty much far-fetched although probably not impossible that SSE is going to increase my tariff without giving me advance notice.

Overall, doesn't ring true, sorry.
    Last edited by Anthorn; 15-03-2017 at 4:24 PM.
    • Stuart_W
    • By Stuart_W 15th Mar 17, 5:22 PM
    • 1,355 Posts
    • 642 Thanks
    Stuart_W
    What I see coming from Ebico is scare-mongering, rhetoric and a hard sell in favour of RHE and not in any way impartial, accurate information and advice. Is it any wonder that I distrust what Ebico says?
    Well if you won't believe a photograph of my letter, you'll have to wait until your first post-price rise bill, then. And if you are still being billed on the Equipower tariff by SSE you will get a price rise on 28th April.

Based on the information I've received, it seems quite clear to me. I am an Ebico customer. To that end I have been supplied by SSE on Ebico's behalf on the Ebico tariff (called Equipower and Equigas) which is not directly available from SSE. This arrangement is coming to an end. A new Ebico tariff, called Ebico Zero, is available as a replacement, which is available at about 4.5% less than current prices, supplied by RHE. Ebico initially thought customers could be automatically transferred, but have now stated that to switch over to the new tariff a switch has to be consciously requested. Customers not requesting a switch will remain billed by SSE on a tariff called Equipower or Equigas, which SSE have now announced will be on increasing on 28th April, which in my area means a 19% increase. They may also drop the tariff at any date in the future, it is not guaranteed. To keep with Ebico I need to switch.

Not really scare-mongering or a "hard sell" IMO, I'm an Ebico customer so I'd expect to be told the steps I need to take to remain an Ebico customer. I could decide not to switch, but the price difference between Ebico Zero and Equipower from 28th April is quite a big one.
    Last edited by Stuart_W; 15-03-2017 at 5:26 PM.
    • MoneySavingNovice
    • By MoneySavingNovice 15th Mar 17, 5:33 PM
    • 337 Posts
    • 320 Thanks
    MoneySavingNovice
    Its posible that the best way to now find out if its SSE or Ebico sending the letters is to look at the web address on the particular letter. I think that:-

www.sse.co.uk/ebico means it is from SSE

www.ebico.org.uk means it is from ebico

I hope this helps someone.
    • THX758
    • By THX758 15th Mar 17, 6:49 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    THX758
    I got the letter about the price increase today, it is a sse.co.uk/ebico letter, and the return address is at SSE Plc, PO Box 16552, Birmingham.
    That would indicate that the letters are sent by SSE, but I still don't know if right now I am with Ebico or SSE, I have still not received confirmation of where I am yet, though I did tick I wanted to stay with SSE on the Ebico website.
    Is it too much to ask SSE and Ebico to clarify the situation?
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 15th Mar 17, 10:25 PM
    • 2,989 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    Anthorn
    Not really scare-mongering or a "hard sell" IMO, I'm an Ebico customer so I'd expect to be told the steps I need to take to remain an Ebico customer. I could decide not to switch, but the price difference between Ebico Zero and Equipower from 28th April is quite a big one.
    Anyone who doesn't recognise the hard sell is probably living on a different planet or has their head buried in the sand.

According to USwitch for my electricity useage of 1188 kWh per year Ebico Zero is 10.36p per year cheaper than Equipower. Not a lot I'd say. If it was 50 a year I might sit up and take notice. Going the other way, the Scottish Power fixed until April 2018 tariff is 8.05p per year more than Equipower and that's where I'll be going if indeed SSE increases the price of Equipower.

But there is a group of customers who cannot move to Ebico/RHE Zero who Ebico has turned its back on. That group of customers is the very group of customers that Ebico is pledged to help: They are that group of customers who suffer fuel poverty and qualify for Warm Home Discount that RHE do not provide. It's that that I object to.

There is not a cat-in-hell's chance that the RHE carpet-baggers are going to get my account nor my direct debit!

Lastly, there is nothing that I can see on the SSE website nor in my SSE online account about an increase in the Equipower tariff, no official announcement nor any press announcement. It appears that at this stage only Ebico know about it and they are not shy about crowing about it in private letters.

For crying out loud that letter is not even accurate and refers to a discount when paying for Equipower by direct debit which is not allowed by SSE. The discount doesn't apply to Ebico tariffs! The letter also specifies an increase to the SSE standard tariff while listing the standing charge as nil thereby increasing the confusion which was originally created by Ebico itself!
    Last edited by Anthorn; 15-03-2017 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Last sentence added
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 15th Mar 17, 11:12 PM
    • 3,211 Posts
    • 1,228 Thanks
    footyguy
    But i thought it took weeks to be moved. So logically, until you receive confirmation that you have moved to the new provider, Ebico is the one who can rise and lower the prices on the equigas and equipower tariffs. Not SSE.
    Originally posted by THX758
    Refer to the thread title
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 15th Mar 17, 11:16 PM
    • 3,211 Posts
    • 1,228 Thanks
    footyguy
    I am truly confused now.

I e-mailed Ebico yesterday and the answer I got back was.

So basically I don't know if I'm a Ebico SSE customer, a Ebico Robin Hood customer or a Robin Hood customer.
    Originally posted by MoneySavingNovice
    What does your last bill say?

If it says Equipower or Equigas, you are an SSE customer. (who were the previous supply partner to Ebico)

No Ebico customer has yet been switched to RHE, afaik, and based on communications received from Ebico (although the switching process has started for some)

Perhaps you are a customer of RHE already? i.e a non-Ebico RHE tariff
    What is the name of the traiff on your last bill?
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 15th Mar 17, 11:35 PM
    • 3,211 Posts
    • 1,228 Thanks
    footyguy
    I got the letter about the price increase today, it is a sse.co.uk/ebico letter, and the return address is at SSE Plc, PO Box 16552, Birmingham.
    That would indicate that the letters are sent by SSE, but I still don't know if right now I am with Ebico or SSE, I have still not received confirmation of where I am yet, though I did tick I wanted to stay with SSE on the Ebico website.
    Is it too much to ask SSE and Ebico to clarify the situation?
    Originally posted by THX758
    If you received that letter, then you were an ebico customer. SSE used to be the supply partner for Ebico.
    So all your bills would have come from SSE, you would have supplied meter readings to SSE, and fisrt port of call for customer service was SSE.

Refer to thread title as to status of Ebico/SSE relationship.

So currently you are a customer of SSE. Ebico does not supply anyone - they are a white label supplier.

According to latest information, if you want to switch to new Ebico tariffs, supplied by RHE, then you will have to actively request this.
    (This applies even if you have previously received an email from Ebico to the contrary)

Personally, having applied to switch late yesterday, I have earlier today had confirmation the switch process has now started for those supplies I have requested to be switched.
    • Stuart_W
    • By Stuart_W 16th Mar 17, 9:41 AM
    • 1,355 Posts
    • 642 Thanks
    Stuart_W
    For crying out loud that letter is not even accurate and refers to a discount when paying for Equipower by direct debit which is not allowed by SSE. The discount doesn't apply to Ebico tariffs! The letter also specifies an increase to the SSE standard tariff while listing the standing charge as nil thereby increasing the confusion which was originally created by Ebico itself!

NO IT DOESN'T.

That letter does not state a discount for paying by direct debit. Are you seeing a completely different letter? Please actually read it. It is probably using a standard SSE template referring to cheapest similar tariff and cheapest overall tariff (which I think all energy provider have to refer to now) - as there is no such thing with Equipower, it defaults in both fields to referring to the tariff I am on - which is equipower paying by direct debit - and states that I could save 0.00 per year. How is that a direct debit discount?

Again, I also repeat the letter is NOT the SSE standard tariff. In my area (Eastern) The SSE standard tariff is 16.51p per kWh and a standing charge of between 14.8p and 27.4p per day depending on payment method. My letter refers to 16.63p per kWh and 0.0p per day standing charge - which I recognise as the Ebico tariff (even if you don't).

Your prices on Equipower, billed by SSE, will rise on 28th April.
    Last edited by Stuart_W; 16-03-2017 at 9:55 AM.
    • Stuart_W
    • By Stuart_W 16th Mar 17, 10:06 AM
    • 1,355 Posts
    • 642 Thanks
    Stuart_W
    Anyone who doesn't recognise the hard sell is probably living on a different planet or has their head buried in the sand.
    Even with my head in the sand, I do recognise that staying put will give me a 19.79p/kWh charge from 28th April, or switching over to Ebico zero gives me a price of 15.70p/kWh whilst retaining 0.00p standing charge and that lower priced guaranteed to the end of 2017, but still without being tied in.

Personally, I don't feel like the victim of a hard sell.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 16th Mar 17, 11:27 AM
    • 2,989 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    Anthorn

NO IT DOESN'T.

That letter does not state a discount for paying by direct debit. Are you seeing a completely different letter? Please actually read it. It is probably using a standard SSE template referring to cheapest similar tariff and cheapest overall tariff (which I think all energy provider have to refer to now) - as there is no such thing with Equipower, it defaults in both fields to referring to the tariff I am on - which is equipower paying by direct debit - and states that I could save 0.00 per year. How is that a direct debit discount?

Again, I also repeat the letter is NOT the SSE standard tariff. In my area (Eastern) The SSE standard tariff is 16.51p per kWh and a standing charge of between 14.8p and 27.4p per day depending on payment method. My letter refers to 16.63p per kWh and 0.0p per day standing charge - which I recognise as the Ebico tariff (even if you don't).

Your prices on Equipower, billed by SSE, will rise on 28th April.
    Hey, a nice attempt at pedantry which unfortunately doesn't work.

Your own previous post shows a photo which is alleged to be a letter you received although you don't say whether that letter was received from Ebico or SSE or both. You only mention an Ebico logo on that letter so it looks like it was Ebico who sent it. That letter clearly shows a reference to the standard tariff and an apology for having to increase it.
    Over the past three years, we have managed to reduce or freeze your standard energy prices ...
    There is also a reference to a discount for paying Equipower by direct debit. It doesn't matter whether that discount is nil or shows a value, it's still incorrect. In fact that whole letter is incorrect. Perhaps whoever sent that letter should revise it and send out another one. But as I posted earlier Ebico / RHE apparently don't know their rear end from their elbow and are most likely unable to learn from it.

Here's a link to that post of yours:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=72254422&postcount=158
    Last edited by Anthorn; 16-03-2017 at 11:52 AM.
    • James Mass
    • By James Mass 16th Mar 17, 1:17 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    James Mass
    So you've rececived a notification contrary to what everyone else has received, and contrary to what is posted on the Ebico website have you?

There's always one isn't there...

Good luck!

(And Trump thinks he has problems)
    Originally posted by footyguy
    Phew! Glad to see that I didn't dream all that up then
    • James Mass
    • By James Mass 16th Mar 17, 1:28 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    James Mass
    Even with my head in the sand, I do recognise that staying put will give me a 19.79p/kWh charge from 28th April, or switching over to Ebico zero gives me a price of 15.70p/kWh whilst retaining 0.00p standing charge and that lower priced guaranteed to the end of 2017, but still without being tied in.

Personally, I don't feel like the victim of a hard sell.
    I've also received this same exact fake letter as yours.

I'm sorting this out for an elderly relative in receipt of WHD and if RH doesn't provide it, then staying put will be a no brainer for now, unless the Government suddenly decides to withdraw it in the interim
    • Smurrfmo
    • By Smurrfmo 16th Mar 17, 7:14 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Smurrfmo
    I have the same letter, it is signed from Phil Levermore MD of Ebico, the number to ring is given as 0345 072 9418. It has an Ebico logo and the web address is a sse one.
    • cally6008
    • By cally6008 16th Mar 17, 11:10 PM
    • 7,388 Posts
    • 11,159 Thanks
    cally6008
    14th March 2017

Letter Confusion – So, Are We Reducing or Increasing Prices?

https://ebico.org.uk/ebico-news/letter-confusion-so-are-we-reducing-or-increasing-prices/

We have been sending letters to our customers telling them about our new, cheaper, energy plans, Ebico Zero and Ebico PrePay, available through our new supply partner Robin Hood Energy. We’ve now discovered that our former supply partner, SSE, is also writing to our customers, under our Ebico brand, to tell them that prices are rising. We know this is confusing, so we hope the following makes things clearer.

If you have already told us:
    • by phone,
    • by visiting choice.ebico.org.uk, or
    • by returning the tear-off slip attached to our letter announcing our new partnership
    that you would like to move with us to Robin Hood Energy and benefit from the lower price of Ebico Zero, then you can disregard the letter entitled ‘Your Electricity Price is Increasing’, which was sent by our former supply partner, SSE, with our branding. Your account will be transferred to Ebico Zero, powered by Robin Hood Energy, over the next few weeks, and you will benefit from our lower prices.

If you have not already told us that you would like to move with us to Robin Hood Energy and Ebico Zero, then the ‘Your Electricity Price is Rising’ letter does apply to you. To avoid this increase, take a look at the recent email and letter we sent to you announcing our new partnership with RHE and, using the code number we provided, either click here to let us know if you would like to switch, or complete the tear-off strip and post it to us in the envelope provided.

We had hoped to make switching to our cheaper tariffs as simple as possible for our EquiGas/EquiPower customers. However, unfortunately our former supply partner, SSE, has been unable to support the transfer of customers to our new supply partner.

So, we must now ask our EquiGas/EquiPower customers to confirm to us that they want to make the move to Ebico Zero. Customers who have not yet let us know that they would like to switch to Ebico Zero, and do not tell us that they would like to do so, will remain supplied by SSE on the EquiGas/EquiPower tariff and will be subject to the increase in the electricity price.

Please note, that the Warm Homes Discount (WHD) is not currently available with Ebico Zero, so if you expect to receive the WHD this winter, we recommend that you remain with SSE.

• Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 16th Mar 17, 11:19 PM
    • 2,989 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    Anthorn
    All I can say is this whole affair is starting to stink really bad. So today I have commenced my switch to the Scottish Power April 30 2018 fix.

Peace, over and out
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,419Posts Today

6,260Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin