Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 25th Feb 17, 2:02 PM
    • 3,690Posts
    • 1,470Thanks
    footyguy
    Ebico / SSE partnership has ended!
    • 25th Feb 17, 2:02 PM
    Ebico / SSE partnership has ended! 25th Feb 17 at 2:02 PM
    Seems SSE have taken umbrage at Ebico getting into bed with Robin Hood Energy, and the long term partnsership is over:

SSE has now closed EquiGas/EquiPower to new sales and can no longer assure us that the EquiGas/EquiPower tariff will remain in market for a reasonable period of time. As a result, we have brought our partnership with SSE to a close.
    read more here:
    https://ebico.org.uk/ebico-news/new-cheaper-gas-and-electricity-tariffs-under-the-new-partnership-with-robin-hood-energy/
Page 8
    • Majestic12
    • By Majestic12 13th Mar 17, 10:53 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    Majestic12
    I've decided to stay with Ebico in the end (well the new partnership). Forgot to call them today.

Did notice my gas supply is not listed but electricity is, even though Ebico (SSE) currently supplies both. Has anyone else come across that situation?
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 14th Mar 17, 8:47 AM
    • 1,603 Posts
    • 2,118 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    The plot thickens!

This morning I've received a letter from Ebico about increases to their electricity prices. What they don't mention in their letter is that the increase is 15.15%!

I'm a very low user (solar panels) of around 1000kWh a year, so the standing charge free tariff suits me but with a new unit charge of 19.91p
    I'm definitely going to look around for alternatives!

Can anyone confirm if SSE are going to offer that standing charge free legacy tariff as mentioned up thread? The last I read here I was completely confused but it seems I'm not the only one. :-)
    • whattochoose
    • By whattochoose 14th Mar 17, 9:15 AM
    • 290 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    whattochoose
    The plot thickens!

Can anyone confirm[/B] if SSE are going to offer that standing charge free legacy tariff as mentioned up thread? The last I read here I was completely confused but it seems I'm not the only one. :-)
    Originally posted by silverwhistle
    I've previously posted on here that SSE have told me they will honor the "no standing charge" gas tariff I had with Ebico/SSE but now have solely with them.
    • bikeman
    • By bikeman 14th Mar 17, 11:51 AM
    • 266 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    bikeman
    What's going on - last month I get a letter telling me they're moving to Robin Hood and lowering prices. Today I get a letyter from sse/ebico saying price is going up.

Has anyone phoned Ebico? The line was busy, now it is out of service - I guess they've fk'd up.
    • charybdis26
    • By charybdis26 14th Mar 17, 12:12 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    charybdis26
    Like silverwhistle and bikeman , I too received a letter this morning from Ebico/SSE.co.uk announcing an electricity price increase to 19.91p kWh from 28th April 2017

I'm fairly sure this letter / price increase is addressed to those on and who wish to remain with the SSE EquiPower tariff and NOT those of us switching to the Ebico Zero/RHE one.

The ebico.org.uk Newsletter dated March 13, 2017 is drawing attention to the fact that their Ebico Zero price is now at least 19% cheaper than the Equipower equivalent and price fixed until December 2017.

With SSE and RHE both using the Ebico brand name in their communications there's scope for further confusion in an already messy situation.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 14th Mar 17, 12:25 PM
    • 1,603 Posts
    • 2,118 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    Oh, @@@@ me!

I'll look at it tomorrow, but if charybdis26 isn't being scylla and is correct in their assumption that implies that SSE are extracting a steep price for their zero standing charge tariff..

Thanks to all that have posted even if I'm still confused. It seems that any clarification will take some time on the phone which I can't manage at the moment, so any further comments welcome...
    • charybdis26
    • By charybdis26 14th Mar 17, 1:02 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    charybdis26
    The reason I believe today's "Ebico/SSE" letter refers only to those staying on the SSE/Eqipower tariff is that it is consistent with the announced increase on yesterday's BBC news that SSE were the last of the big six energy suppliers to adjust prices -

From BBC News 13 March 2017

SSE has become the latest "big six" energy supplier to raise its prices.

It said average electricity prices would rise by 14.9% from 28 April for 2.8 million customers. However, it will keep its gas prices unchanged.
    Another clue is the letter's reference to an electricity account number that refers to my old SSE/Ebico EquiPower tariff and not the new account number I used in setting up my Ebico/RHE online account. I'm reasonably happy that all the information received from both letters and Ebico/RHE online is accurate and consistent with what I'd been led to expect when the ending of partnership with SSE was first announced.

As if the switchover wasn't already confusing enough,, this latest letter bearing the Ebico branding is almost guaranteed to befuddle customers.
    • bikeman
    • By bikeman 14th Mar 17, 1:27 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    bikeman
    Like James Mass, I too received the “Do Nothing” letter. If you do nothing, you remain as you are for the time being. My letter does not mention the15th March. To move to Ebico Zero I have to opt in..
    Originally posted by atsblack
    Are you sure that's what your letters says? I'm a Ebico DD customer and my letter says my transfer to Ebico Zero will be initiated in two weeks from the letter if I do nothing. It provides further instructions on how to opt out.
    • Stuart_W
    • By Stuart_W 14th Mar 17, 5:05 PM
    • 1,366 Posts
    • 648 Thanks
    Stuart_W
    As soon as I got the first Ebico letter about the RHE switch, I did the online thing to ask to switch immediately rather than wait until the 15th.

Has anyone successfully registered on line and is able to log in via the Ebico website? I keep getting told my details cannot be recognised. I've had an email confirming my account is set up, with an attached welcome pack. I don't really understand how from nowhere they have suddenly launched a new online billing system - that's quite a big IT operation. Surely, I would have through we'd be logging in via the RHE website.

I also got the SEE price rise letter. That's a huge increase on the no standing charge tariff.

I have a feeling I will probably move away from Ebico as their original aims have now been lost, with direct debit discounts, standing charges for prepayment meters, not supporting the Warm Home Discount. I really liked the simplicity of their charging and billing, but for the first time in over 10 years of being an Ebico customer I need to now get in touch to sort my account out as something in the online billing set up has gone wrong. I loved being a customer of a company that just billed right, billed regularly and did the job no problem, having had oodles of issues with British Gas and Scottish Power previously.

I will wait until the phone lines calm down a bit to bother getting in touch.
    Last edited by Stuart_W; 14-03-2017 at 5:08 PM.
    • Snakey
    • By Snakey 14th Mar 17, 5:34 PM
    • 1,001 Posts
    • 1,219 Thanks
    Snakey
    Fingers crossed I didn't somehow mess up switching to RHE/Ebico, which I would have thought would have finished being processed by now, although the SSE/Ebico price increase letter isn't dated so I suppose I can't be sure how long ago it was sent to the printer and maybe I was still on SSE/Ebico at the time they pressed the button!
    • uk1
    • By uk1 14th Mar 17, 5:52 PM
    • 994 Posts
    • 642 Thanks
    uk1
    I thought I was reasonably good at looking after myself, but at this current moment I have no idea who our two accounts are with.

The combination of not really understanding clearly enough about the rates, then the "you put your left opt-in, your left opt-out do the hokey cokey and you shake it all about" confused me and then the price increase from Ebico that is in fact for SSE who they are now not talking too means that I have been in and out of the opt-in pages several times because amongst other things I got it into my head that they weren't taking any action on what you registered until the cut-off date. I thought you could simply change your mind before the cut-off on-line. I know in retrospect that this was an assumption and they probably didn't say that, but I have found the whole thing very confusing and I do not know who two properties are currently with. And sadly, at the moment I don't care. In the next week or so letters will arrive and tell me, and once I know who my master is I'll work out if it is time to stay or if it is time to go.

• Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 14th Mar 17, 8:35 PM
    • 3,160 Posts
    • 814 Thanks
    Anthorn
    Well, surprise, surprise I haven't received the by now fabled letter from SSE either. All I have is the online news item on the Ebico site to go on:
    https://ebico.org.uk/ebico-news/letter-confusion-so-are-we-reducing-or-increasing-prices/

There is nothing on the SSE site that I can see about the Equipower tariff being increased and nothing about it in my SSE online account. All I can say is that Ebico from the start of this sorry affair has been confusing and a mine of mystery and misinformation. If Ebico and RHE have started as they mean to go their customers will most likely be concerned about it.

But quite frankly if the Equipower tariff is to be increased then I'm going to fix with Scottish Power until April 2018. Really, this whole Ebico / RHE affair is getting on my nerves!
    • Stuart_W
    • By Stuart_W 14th Mar 17, 9:39 PM
    • 1,366 Posts
    • 648 Thanks
    Stuart_W
    We had hoped to make switching to our cheaper tariffs as simple as possible for our EquiGas/EquiPower customers. However, unfortunately our former supply partner, SSE, has been unable to support the transfer of customers to our new supply partner. So, we must now ask our EquiGas/EquiPower customers to confirm to us, that they want to make the move to Ebico Zero. Customers who have not yet let us know that they would like to switch to Ebico Zero will remain supplied by SSE on the EquiGas/EquiPower tariff and will be subject to the increase in the electricity price.
    The above paragraph appears in the news item now on the ebico website. It looks like the default action of ebico switching certain customers UNLESS they request to stay has been thwarted by SSE and you have to consciously CHOOSE to switch - so I imagine some folk will be getting a further letter soon.

In other news, I've finally got the online billing log on working, and apparently I'm 8 days away from submitting a meter read.
    Last edited by Stuart_W; 14-03-2017 at 9:42 PM.
    • uk1
    • By uk1 15th Mar 17, 12:17 AM
    • 994 Posts
    • 642 Thanks
    uk1
    It always seemed to me that automatic (inertia) switching would be against some regulation or other.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 15th Mar 17, 12:49 AM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 1,470 Thanks
    footyguy
    The above paragraph appears in the news item now on the ebico website. It looks like the default action of ebico switching certain customers UNLESS they request to stay has been thwarted by SSE and you have to consciously CHOOSE to switch ...
    Originally posted by Stuart_W
    Indeed, and with the information received today from SSE that they were raising the price of their Equipower tariff by between 15% and 20% depending on region and meter type, not to mention the warning stating

We reserve the right to refuse or withdraw the tariff at any time
    I consulted a comparison site to find the best deals for me.

Unsurprisingly, Ebico Zero came up tops, so this evening I went to the Ebico site and made a few applications to switch .
    You cannot actually specify your current supplier as Ebico, so I chose SSE (although there is also an option for unknown).
    Also you cannot specify zero consumption in the online application process, but 1kWh per year is accepted.

To others saying they have not been informed by either email or letter about Ebico Zero, then I must admit the only correspondence I received was regarding one supply address, and that was an early email suggesting the switch was going to be automatic ... which it does not seem like it will be now.

If you've not received information from SSE yet about the increase in their Equipower prices, then I would also say I only received that for some of my accounts - perhaps the others will arrive in the post tomorrow?
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 15th Mar 17, 7:28 AM
    • 3,160 Posts
    • 814 Thanks
    Anthorn
    Indeed, and with the information received today from SSE that they were raising the price of their Equipower tariff by between 15% and 20% depending on region and meter type, not to mention the warning stating
    Originally posted by footyguy
    Where did you get that news from? Link please. I still don't see anything about an increase to the Equipower tariff on the SSE website nor in my SSE online account. This is all I see on the SSE website which refers to the SSE Standard Tariff:
    https://sse.co.uk/price-change

I think that due to variations in this thread in reported letters being received and Ebico/RHE apparently not knowing their rear end from their elbow I can ignore such reports until I see it with my own eyes.
    • whattochoose
    • By whattochoose 15th Mar 17, 8:07 AM
    • 290 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    whattochoose
    Electricity isn't a concern for me as I'm with SSE on a three year fixed tariff.
    Similarly, I hope I've sorted things out regarding my gas supply, having got assurances from SSE I'll continue on the same tariff as before, namely the Ebico no standing charge gas tariff, however sans any input from Ebico now they've been cleaved asunder from SSE.
    However, I'm sure SSE are under no obligation to maintain this tariff indefinitely and I can see it being withdrawn in the not too distant future.
    Therefore, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that if and when that happens, Ebico and RHE will have resolved the shambles that seems to be attending the early days of their partnership, and the process of signing up for any future gas supply from Ebico will be a relatively painless process.
    • Stuart_W
    • By Stuart_W 15th Mar 17, 10:37 AM
    • 1,366 Posts
    • 648 Thanks
    Stuart_W
    Where did you get that news from? Link please. I still don't see anything about an increase to the Equipower tariff on the SSE website nor in my SSE online account. This is all I see on the SSE website which refers to the SSE Standard Tariff:
    https://sse.co.uk/price-change

I think that due to variations in this thread in reported letters being received and Ebico/RHE apparently not knowing their rear end from their elbow I can ignore such reports until I see it with my own eyes.
    Originally posted by Anthorn
    Is this evidence enough... Here is part of my letter...It's got the ebico logo at the top but has been sent from sse with my account number on.
    Last edited by Stuart_W; 15-03-2017 at 12:23 PM.
    • THX758
    • By THX758 15th Mar 17, 11:48 AM
    • 142 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    THX758
    But i thought it took weeks to be moved. So logically, until you receive confirmation that you have moved to the new provider, Ebico is the one who can rise and lower the prices on the equigas and equipower tariffs. Not SSE.
    • Stuart_W
    • By Stuart_W 15th Mar 17, 12:19 PM
    • 1,366 Posts
    • 648 Thanks
    Stuart_W
    But i thought it took weeks to be moved. So logically, until you receive confirmation that you have moved to the new provider, Ebico is the one who can rise and lower the prices on the equigas and equipower tariffs. Not SSE.
    Originally posted by THX758

Previously, yes, but not now. SSE consider Ebico to be in breach of their agreement, having launched a prepay tariff with RHE recently, so they now see all Equipower/Equigas customers as fair game and SSE are pulling the strings, which means I imagine price rise after price rise.

The Utility Week article, posted by Sheepy123, seems to be the only place this is actually covered. This is what it says -

Big six energy company SSE has told not-for-profit supplier Ebico that its recent decision to launch a pre-pay tariff in collaboration with Robin Hood Energy represents a breach of their longstanding supply contract.
    SSE and Ebico are now to end their 20-year partnership, via which Ebico currently supplies 60,000 SSE customers.
    Ebico denies that its collaboration with Robin Hood Energy - described as a "match made in heaven" by Labour's shadow energy minister Alan Whitehead - contravened its supply agreement with SSE.
    In a letter to SSE’s domestic business director Stephen Forbes, Ebico’s managing director Phil Levermore said he was “very sad that SSE has taken the decision to issue notice of termination of our partnership.
    “As you know, the partnership between Ebico and SSE has lasted for nearly 20 years and in that time, I believe, it has served the interests of those in fuel poverty both directly, through the tariff offered, and indirectly through the funds that Ebico has been able to provide to community fuel-poverty initiatives through the Ebico Trust.
    Levermore continued to say that the launch of the Ebico PrePay tariff with local energy company Robin Hood Energy was specifically designed to help fuel poor customers “many of whom are likely to experience energy costs as their top household expense after housing costs”.
    Levermore said he was disappointed by SSE’s “heavy-handed” response to Ebico's altruistic intentions and added that he is concerned that, from today (24 February), SSE will withdraw its support for the zero-standing charge tariffs it has delivered together with Ebico.
    Levermore warned that this will come as a “shock” to existing customers and would undermine a “very popular” tariff structure which has recently enjoyed strong sales.
    Ebico has now batted back SSE’s breach of contract accusations, saying that its withdrawal of services from customers is the true contravention of terms.
    In response to the rising quarrel, SSE issued a statement to confirm that “the partnership between SSE and Ebico will now come to an end”.
    “Over the last 15 years, SSE has supplied its customers under the Ebico brand with their energy and high levels of customer service,” said the statement. “It has produced tariffs specifically tailored towards vulnerable customers and has contributed £1m towards tackling fuel poverty.”
    The big six supplier reassured that “SSE customers supplied under the Ebico brand will continue to be SSE customers for as long as they wish. They will continue receive their energy and the same high levels of customer service from SSE for the foreseeable future regardless of today’s announcement. Any suggestion otherwise is incorrect, misleading and should be ignored.”
    by Utility Week - 24th Feb 2017
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,792Posts Today

9,418Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin