Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Student229
    • By Student229 25th Feb 17, 10:16 AM
    • 12Posts
    • 11Thanks
    Student229
    Driven Home from Uni to find a series of threatening letters
    • 25th Feb 17, 10:16 AM
    Driven Home from Uni to find a series of threatening letters 25th Feb 17 at 10:16 AM
    Hi all,

I've read relevant stickies, but am not sure how best to proceed so I would appreciate any advice you can give.

I'm at University in Southampton, and registered with EasyGym in Shirley. Whenever you enter the gym you're supposed to input your registration details.

Due to circumstances, I haven't been home since before christmas. To my surprise, I've found that upon two occasions I had incorrectly put my registration on the screen inside. These occasions were back in November, and hence it would appear I've missed the opportunity to appeal with POPLA. I am now receiving 'Notice of intended action' from Debt Recovery Plus Ltd on behalf of Premier Park Ltd. I don't want to be intimidated by these cretins, but feel I've missed the opportunity to take appropriate action.

Please advise me on how best I should proceed, as a student... I really could do without shelling out £300
    Last edited by Student229; 16-03-2017 at 10:07 AM.
Page 1
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 25th Feb 17, 10:26 AM
    • 38,164 Posts
    • 76,323 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 25th Feb 17, 10:26 AM
    • 25th Feb 17, 10:26 AM
    DRP cannot take you to court. They are lying if they tell you that. Debt collectors have no powers whatsoever.

Did you appeal the original PCNs. You mention PoPLA but that is the second stage, and you can't use it without appealing to the PPC in the first place.

Have you read the Sticky thread for NEWBIES that explains the whole sordid scam and how to successfully beat it?
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • Student229
    • By Student229 25th Feb 17, 10:35 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Student229
    • 25th Feb 17, 10:35 AM
    • 25th Feb 17, 10:35 AM
    I've read the sticky, but the time between issuing the notice as past the point I can appeal I believe? (Notices were issued back at the end in November).

I've essentially just driven to my parental house for the first time since before christmas, to discover this paper-trail and I have no idea how to proceed at this stage. Thanks for your reply though.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 25th Feb 17, 10:43 AM
    • 13,577 Posts
    • 16,648 Thanks
    Redx
    • 25th Feb 17, 10:43 AM
    • 25th Feb 17, 10:43 AM
    complain to the gym and get them cancelled

IGNORE drp, they are all bluster and no powers
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 25th Feb 17, 10:44 AM
    • 38,164 Posts
    • 76,323 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 25th Feb 17, 10:44 AM
    • 25th Feb 17, 10:44 AM
    What happened when you complained to the gym?
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • Student229
    • By Student229 25th Feb 17, 10:49 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Student229
    • 25th Feb 17, 10:49 AM
    • 25th Feb 17, 10:49 AM
    To reply to yourself and RedX: I haven't complained to the gym yet as I've only just opened all of the letters.

I will complain when I'm there on Monday, and will also try and get something out of their social media teams.

It's just irritating as I obviously would have grounds for an appeal, but now it appears to be in the lap of the gods as to whether or not Premier Park will start proceedings.
    Last edited by Student229; 25-02-2017 at 10:51 AM.
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 25th Feb 17, 11:18 AM
    • 3,392 Posts
    • 4,734 Thanks
    Half_way
    • 25th Feb 17, 11:18 AM
    • 25th Feb 17, 11:18 AM
    In order to get the gym to cancel you must use the right words when dealing with the staff otherwise they will try and pass the buck and say it's nothing to do with us.
    I Will post more later if required
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • Student229
    • By Student229 25th Feb 17, 11:21 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Student229
    • 25th Feb 17, 11:21 AM
    • 25th Feb 17, 11:21 AM
    Yeah that would be fantastic. I've already envisioned them saying: "Oh it's not up to us, it's down to Premier Park to manage our car park"

Yes I forgot to input my registration in, but statistically I forgot in about 1/100 occasions to put it in. It's a free car park, for the gym... which I'm a member of. Surely this can't hold-up. At least if it does, I know where I'll be cancelling my membership.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 25th Feb 17, 11:35 AM
    • 6,157 Posts
    • 4,962 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 25th Feb 17, 11:35 AM
    • 25th Feb 17, 11:35 AM
    Even if it got to court, it is unlikely that a judge would find against you. Common sense dictates that this was a very minor human error, why should a PPC profit from it?
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 25th Feb 17, 10:47 PM
    • 44,202 Posts
    • 56,929 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Yeah that would be fantastic. I've already envisioned them saying: "Oh it's not up to us, it's down to Premier Park to manage our car park"

Yes I forgot to input my registration in, but statistically I forgot in about 1/100 occasions to put it in. It's a free car park, for the gym... which I'm a member of. Surely this can't hold-up. At least if it does, I know where I'll be cancelling my membership.
    Originally posted by Student229
    And that's what you say to the gym!
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the breadcrumb trail, top of page: Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking & READ THE 'NEWBIES' FAQS THREAD.
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Student229
    • By Student229 15th Mar 17, 11:53 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Student229
    Hi all,

I thought I'd avail you of the situation. I spoke to EasyGym management at the Gym, and they advised me because they didn't manage the car park there was nothing they could do to help. I then resorted to emailing customer services, who again said there was nothing they could do because they don't own the car park (yet the signage says the car park belongs to them). They did however provide me with a log that says I was there at the time that I was given the notice.

They advised me to appeal, but obviously because so much time has past since the incident I've surrendered my right to appeal. I'm at a loss as to what to do next
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 15th Mar 17, 12:09 PM
    • 44,202 Posts
    • 56,929 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    They did however provide me with a log that says I was there at the time that I was given the notice. They advised me to appeal, but obviously because so much time has past since the incident I've surrendered my right to appeal. I'm at a loss as to what to do next
    Redx already told you. Ignore DRplus.

Post #4 of the sticky thread 'NEWBIES PLEASE READ THESE FAQS FIRST' already told you.

This thread already tells you:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5035663

I am now receiving 'Notice of intended action' from Debt Recovery Plus Ltd on behalf of Premier Park Ltd.
    So you are not at a loss to know what to do next. Come on, it's poxy DRPlus, a useless debt collector! Ask your family at home to open your letters in future so you can be sure there is no court claim (you can't miss responding to that but we win 99% of them, honestly). Also tell your family NOT to panic and pay no matter WHAT the letter says, and certainly not to phone or pay DRPlus...nonono.

Click on the breadcrumb trail, top of page: Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking & READ THE 'NEWBIES' FAQS THREAD.

• Student229
    • By Student229 15th Mar 17, 12:13 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Student229
    I appreciate your honesty, and I would always ignore DRPlus... but I just wanted to know if there was a way to get to the bottom of without receiving a letter before action. Particularly as I now have the evidence I was using gym when I was issued with a notice.

So should I just wait until I receive such a letter?
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 15th Mar 17, 12:18 PM
    • 1,808 Posts
    • 1,704 Thanks
    DoaM
    Have you cancelled your membership yet?

Have you told EasyGym that unless they make Premier cancel the PCNs (as Premier are their agent, so they are in charge - are they really saying that the tail wags the dog?) that you'll be cancelling your membership?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Student229
    • By Student229 15th Mar 17, 12:31 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Student229
    I have now, and that's a really valid point which I've just relayed to them. Premier Park is their agent and thus they must have some kind of relationship with them.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 15th Mar 17, 12:40 PM
    • 6,157 Posts
    • 4,962 Thanks
    The Deep
    Do they have a Facebook page? Do you have a University magazine? If so, you know what to do.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Student229
    • By Student229 15th Mar 17, 12:50 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Student229
    They do indeed, am currently try to get at them from all angles.
    • Student229
    • By Student229 15th Mar 17, 1:32 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Student229
    This is the latest reply I received from "customer service":
    DEAR

THANK YOU FOR YOUR E-MAIL.

WE HAVE NOT INSTRUCTED PREMIER PARK TO MANAGE THE CAR PARK, WE SIMPLY HAVE AN AGREEMENT THAT ALLOWS OUR MEMBERS TO USE THE CAR PARK FOR 2HOURS PROVIDED THEY TYPE THEIR VEHICLE REGISTRATION ON THE TOUCHSCREEN IN THE CLUB.
    Last edited by Student229; 21-03-2017 at 7:24 PM.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 15th Mar 17, 9:19 PM
    • 44,202 Posts
    • 56,929 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    This is the latest reply I received from "customer service":
    DEAR HAYDN.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR E-MAIL.

WE HAVE NOT INSTRUCTED PREMIER PARK TO MANAGE THE CAR PARK, WE SIMPLY HAVE AN AGREEMENT THAT ALLOWS OUR MEMBERS TO USE THE CAR PARK FOR 2HOURS PROVIDED THEY TYPE THEIR VEHICLE REGISTRATION ON THE TOUCHSCREEN IN THE CLUB.
    Originally posted by Student229
    Dear Gym person,

Please tell me who has contracted this notorious bunch of ex-clampers? The University? Or do you mean you have an 'agreement' yourselves with them, in which case you have contracted them after all. An agreement is a contract.

Due to this unwarranted threat, I will cancel my membership and will spread the word among other students about this scam.
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 15-03-2017 at 9:22 PM.

• Student229
    • By Student229 16th Mar 17, 10:07 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Student229
    After some pressing, EasyGym have said that Head office is looking into it and trying to help - I call BS on that one. I tried to phone Premier Park to explain the situation, and they weren't having any of it, again expected. I reminded them that the 28 days for appeal is for their convenience and doesn't hold any legal status - they didn't seem bothered. They said they could do nothing with my case as it was in the hands of their debt collection agency.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

704Posts Today

6,195Users online

Martin's Twitter