Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sara82
    • By Sara82 25th Feb 17, 10:15 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Sara82
    Did Merton Council ignore our appeal?
    • 25th Feb 17, 10:15 AM
    Did Merton Council ignore our appeal? 25th Feb 17 at 10:15 AM
    Hi everyone hope I can be given some advice as at the moment I'm pretty annoyed...possibly at myself! On 25/01/2017 my husband received a PCN notice from Merton Council. We decided to appeal it, so on the 04/02/2017 I sent an appeal to Merton Council by email. I would usually do it on the website, but found it hard to navigate. Today 24/02/2017 we have received a Charge certificate for £195. It hasnt given a specific reason why the charge has increased, but rather generic reasons...such as us not appealing, they rejected the appeal and we didnt appeal the rejection and so on.
    I still have the email in my sent folder, but I realised that I didnt include our home address in the email...which it says you must do. Is that why it has increased? I will be so annoyed with myself if that is the case....but I also feel that is insanely harsh! Any advice would be appreciated
    Thank you for your time
Page 1
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 25th Feb 17, 12:01 PM
    • 3,600 Posts
    • 41,691 Thanks
    Barny1979
    • 25th Feb 17, 12:01 PM
    • 25th Feb 17, 12:01 PM
    Sounds too quick to jump to a charge certificate stage, as this takes much longer, see the following link for a PCN process: https://www.patrol-uk.info/ Link has a flow chart of the stages of appeal.
    • Sara82
    • By Sara82 25th Feb 17, 12:07 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sara82
    • 25th Feb 17, 12:07 PM
    • 25th Feb 17, 12:07 PM
    Thank you very much for the reply...do you think by forgetting to put the address they ignored our appeal?
    • Orford
    • By Orford 25th Feb 17, 12:14 PM
    • 2,140 Posts
    • 1,605 Thanks
    Orford
    • 25th Feb 17, 12:14 PM
    • 25th Feb 17, 12:14 PM
    Was the original pcn placed on your vehicle or was it sent by post (cctv contravention)?
    • Sara82
    • By Sara82 25th Feb 17, 12:18 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sara82
    • 25th Feb 17, 12:18 PM
    • 25th Feb 17, 12:18 PM
    Sent by post
    • Sara82
    • By Sara82 25th Feb 17, 12:22 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sara82
    • 25th Feb 17, 12:22 PM
    • 25th Feb 17, 12:22 PM
    As Barny says it seems like it was very quick...a month between receiving the charge and them giving us a charge notice, so it seems like the appeal was ignored (hopefully not because I forgot to add our address)
    • Sara82
    • By Sara82 25th Feb 17, 1:56 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sara82
    • 25th Feb 17, 1:56 PM
    • 25th Feb 17, 1:56 PM
    I did receive an email from them to confirm they received my email representation.
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 25th Feb 17, 2:41 PM
    • 3,600 Posts
    • 41,691 Thanks
    Barny1979
    • 25th Feb 17, 2:41 PM
    • 25th Feb 17, 2:41 PM
    I would write back to them querying whether they have received your representation, as usually by receiving an informal rep or not, it then goes to formal representation stage, not straight to Charge Certificate.
    • Sara82
    • By Sara82 25th Feb 17, 6:12 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sara82
    • 25th Feb 17, 6:12 PM
    • 25th Feb 17, 6:12 PM
    Hi thank you for replying...I did receive an email that said they had received my representation...so they did get it...I will need to contact them on Monday by phone to see what's going on....do people think they rejected my appeal because I didn't include the address in the email....I included reg number and pcn number and name.
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 25th Feb 17, 6:19 PM
    • 3,600 Posts
    • 41,691 Thanks
    Barny1979
    They would have replied asking for your address, as they will put this against the registered owner's details. However, otherwise, they will have gone to the DVLA to get the address details, hence receiving the Charge Certificate. You will need to call them, but then follow anything up in writing, as appeals can not be done by phone.
    • Orford
    • By Orford 25th Feb 17, 8:13 PM
    • 2,140 Posts
    • 1,605 Thanks
    Orford
    Hi thank you for replying...I did receive an email that said they had received my representation...so they did get it...I will need to contact them on Monday by phone to see what's going on....do people think they rejected my appeal because I didn't include the address in the email....I included reg number and pcn number and name.
    Originally posted by Sara82
    Councils will not accept representations without name and address, which is why they didn't reply.

My advice is not to phone them, but wait for the Order for Recovery and make a witness statement to the Traffic Enforcement Centre on the grounds that you didn't recieve a Notice of Rejection to your representations. Don't mention the address issue.

That will set the pcn back to the Notice to Owner stage at which point you can eithet pay the full penalty (£130) or make formal reps and, if those are rejected, appeal to adjudication
    • Sara82
    • By Sara82 25th Feb 17, 9:12 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sara82
    Thanks for the replies everyone. They didnt respond asking for my address Barny. Oxford, if I say that I didnt receive the notice of rejection, might they counter with the fact that I didnt include the address?
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 25th Feb 17, 9:26 PM
    • 3,600 Posts
    • 41,691 Thanks
    Barny1979
    A decent Local Authority would write back to confirm address though.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 25th Feb 17, 11:10 PM
    • 45,155 Posts
    • 57,821 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Thanks for the replies everyone. They didnt respond asking for my address Barny. Oxford, if I say that I didnt receive the notice of rejection, might they counter with the fact that I didnt include the address?
    Originally posted by Sara82
    They might - but it is a fact that you appealed (as long as email appeal was offered as an option) and got an acknowledgement back.

I agree with Orford, you can't take action at this stage so sit tight and at Order for Recovery stage make a WS to the TEC and get it reset.
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Mo71
    • By Mo71 20th Apr 17, 12:05 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mo71
    I must apologise in advance if I had put this in the wrong place, I am new here.
    I had similar situation, where I had parked my car outside my brother's garage in Wimbledon, where the garage door was wide open. On the street is a "don't obstruct white line" painted over single yellow line barely visible. Within minutes a civil enforcement officer appeared, I explained to him that we are in the middle of a move, but he replied that he had already prepared the ticket, so, I got into the car and drove off as the officer had no physical ticket in his hand at all. This happened on 14th March 2017, on 24th march 2017 I received the PCN. On 27th march 2017, I sent a letter of appeal with photo evidence of the confusing lines (from all angles). I also added that I wanted to receive correspondence by signed/recorded delivery, so far today I have received nothing from them either by e-mail or post, over a month has passed since the day it all started. This is on the back of my mind all the time, as if we have nothing else better to do or worry about. Any advice please anyone?

Thank you all in advance, I will update you all should I receive any further news
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 20th Apr 17, 12:45 AM
    • 45,155 Posts
    • 57,821 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    They won't reply by recorded delivery/signed for mail. But a Council can take a couple of months to reject an appeal by letter and offer adjudication to decide the matter.

I would wait until you get that rejection letter (because they won't just cancel, almost never) then post on pepipoo forum showing the PCN - all pages, all wording - and the rejection letter and pics of the misleading lines:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=30

Most of the Council PCN experts are there on that forum.

DO NOT post without pictures, DO NOT register with a Hotmail email and DON'T post yet, no need/there is no advice right now; you are in limbo until they reject, which they will by some time in May, I expect. Then register and post all your pics on pepipoo and they will assist.
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Mo71
    • By Mo71 20th Apr 17, 10:31 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mo71
    Hi Sara82, i put my address onto my appeal and it has just been over 1 month, still nothing from Merton council yet.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,067Posts Today

6,603Users online

Martin's Twitter