Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 25th Feb 17, 8:39 AM
    • 121Posts
    • 207Thanks
    coastalchick
    2017 - moving life forwards
    • 25th Feb 17, 8:39 AM
    2017 - moving life forwards 25th Feb 17 at 8:39 AM
    Hi

New diary for a (hopefully!) new period in life. About me: 38, co-habiting (partner shall henceforth be referred to as "BD"), 1 cat.

Currently living with BD in my house (or flouse as my friend calls it as it is not really a flat but not really a house!). It's under offer and we are hoping to sell this and buy our new house mid aprill. BD's flat has been on market for a while but little interest due to colossal service charges so that is rented out until Feb 2018. But our house purchase has hit a few problems, mainly due to boundary issues (which are solvable but which may be impacting on timetable!) and we are not certain it is all going to go through in time.

Once in the new house, we are going to actively start trying for a family. If it happens before then, it happens but we are not actively trying right now due to house stress.

Why am I here? Well, I used to have NO clue about money (I really think they should teach you what the heck an interest rate is at school and what credit cards and store cards actually mean and charge!) and was in a LOT of debt through university and my early to mid-20's. I had no clue what an interest rate was and instead just saw credit and store cards as "free" money. Often missed payments, not cos I couldn't pay (though this did become more of the case towards the end of the bad spell!) but just cos I wasn't organised and didn't realise what impact they had! Makes me sick to the stomach when I think of all the money I wasted over the years.

I bought a maisonette in tooting in Nov 2003 (got a 100% mortgage - you could in those days!), then in April 2004, lost my job. Luckily I had income protection but of course, they don't tell you that doesn't kick in for a certain period. Also, I seem to recall that back then I also couldn't claim benefits for a period. Sadly, a few weeks before I lost my job I signed on the dotted line for a new kitchen (got royal ripped off there too) which cost me 10k (it probably should have cost 2-3 but I was so naive in those days) so had to max out the credit cards to pay for it.

My parents offered to help but I felt I had got myself into that mess (basically it was partially my fault I got the boot as I wasn't really taking my job seriously) so declined as wanted to get self out of it. So moved, got a new job, towed the line, consolidated debt. Rented out the tooting flat and eventually bought the place I live in now. BD moved in mid June 2015 so mortgage and bills split.

Fast forward to now and I am pretty comfortable. Luckily I had a job where I earned big bucks which enabled me to pay off all my debt, and save loads and buy the place we live in now. However, that came at a price and I was so overworked and stressed (and underpaid actually compared to others in the market and for the hours I worked) that my hair started falling out and I suffered from anxiety, panic attacks, IBS, acid reflux and regularly wanted to have a non-fatal accident so I could be admitted to hospital and not have to go to work). Eventually I couldn't take any more so quit at start of last year, and took some time off to recharge the batteries.

Mid last year I started a new job in a much less stressful role and for only 4 days a week. Took a pay cut because of the 4 day week but worked out if I scaled the package up to 5 days, I was actually earning the same as I had been in the stressful job (which shows that decision to leave was def right!)

Now we are about to embark (hopefully) on the next chapter in life, but feel I need to be here to try to keep myself on straight and narrow spend-wise, particularly as I now physically have less cash coming in each month and our mortgage is going to double with new house (and bills will be more too). I also need to save for maternity leave.

I constantly worry about money (which BD doesn't understand) and the future and whether we will have enough in retirement. It's silly because on paper we are comfortable, but I think it's because I've been in serious debt before that I am constantly doing sums in my head. The tooting flat was bought for 160k (plus 48k for extension of leasehold recently) and is now worth around 450k. It has around 100k left on the mortgage and is rented out. I will own it outright by age 50, after which the rental will provide pure income. Have only just started a pension as my old job didn't have one (surprise surprise) which 630 per month goes into. BD's flat has around 75k of equity in it and he has a work pension too. We have a lot in savings at the moment but that will be left at minimal when we buy the new house as we are putting down 20% deposit plus fees, stamp duty etc. Other than our 3 mortgages on the 3 properties, we have no debt.

So, probably most people will think I have nothing to moan about but I still worry because I know how easy it is to get into debt as I have been there previously. I also worry because children are expensive and we might have to pay for private school if the school they are allocated isn't very good. BD is a semi professional photographer and used to do weddings which he can charge up to 3k for, but he quit doing them as he found them quite stressful, but I guess could do a couple if we needed school fees (but wouldn't want him to if he found it stressful).

So, apologies for the brain dump but I'm here to try to rein in the spending!

Today is food shop and I have a list - we have budgeted £150 (which I know is a lot) as BD wants me to bake a cake today so quite a lot needed for that, plus this week we need coffee, loo roll, dishwasher tablets etc etc. Once we've done that, think we will have lunch at home (it's rubbish weather out there today) from what we've bought, then maybe reading this afternoon and bake the cake. BD is out at his friends tonight so I will be cooking a nice chicken dish from stores and watching a pre-recorded movie with the cat.

Tomorrow BD will probably work in the morning, then we are at his mum's for lunch (so free lunch) and will cook a roast from the weekly shop tomorrow evening
    Last edited by coastalchick; 25-02-2017 at 9:37 AM.
Page 3
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 12th May 17, 3:28 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    coastalchick
    Hi guys

Sorry have been MIA for a month!! Move went as well as could be expected though was v stressful as we were packing for weeks in the end and then 5 hours to clean our house the day we left! Love love love the new house - we are surrounded by fields and there are cows in them! The cat seems to have settled ok and let him out today - gave me a bit of a panic attack as he disappeared for a couple of hours but is back now!

Started writing a new book today. Came up with the idea when on holiday last week but and know how I want to start it but not yet how I want it to finish - does anyone ever know how they want it to finish before they get writing? Pretty hard going but mainly because I can't think of how I want it to end. Have found writing the narrative so far ok.

Money wise don't even start! Still in battle with insurers though at least vet is now going to support my claim so will see what that brings. Bleeding money at the moment as BD is obsessed with repairing the rotten decking (which I agree needs doing but which is expensive!) and we had to buy things like a lawnmower as we now have a stupidly big garden/field to manage. Plus until October pay I am paying back tax office at 422 a month as they got my codings wrong!

Have tried to be a bit more frugal but finding it hard. Though I am in no debt (other than mortgage on this property and my one in tooting) I still worry CONSTANTLY about money. I now have a 35 minute walk each way to work and probably spend all of that time rationalising my financial situation and telling myself the future will be ok and that we do have enough. I know it's within my gift to earn more - either by going back full time if they'd have me, or going back to a fee earning role but I so like working only 4 days a week and not having clients or court that I'm loathe to go back.

Today I've changed address on my driving licence/vehicle registration, taken cat for final follow up at vets (all clear!) and got a bit of lunch and some cards for friends birthdays/baby arrivals from shops, and written some of my book.

We had so wanted to stay in this weekend but are out for dinner/drinks tonight with friends for their birthdays. Hoping BD doesn't suggest we pick up the tab because as much as I think that's nice. we are quite tight for cash at the moment and we are to Madrid the end of this month and France middle of next month, all of which will add up!!!

I just need to write a bestseller but that is SO unlikely to happen!!!
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 12th May 17, 8:26 PM
    • 906 Posts
    • 3,275 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Welcome back Coastal. Glad the move went well. Looking forward to more updates but life is busy so don't worry too much. Sometimes we need time to focus. xxx
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 13th May 17, 9:16 AM
    • 121 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    coastalchick
    Last night was about £50 each which wasn't bad value considering all we had but could do without it!

Friend has just had a baby so that's going to be £21 each on a mulberry bush with personalised plaque/crate thing - idea being kid grows up alongside the bush. But we didn't get them a wedding gift and they've just bought a house so is kind of a gift to cover everything I guess.

BD just gone to get car from last night as we left it there and got a cab home. Feel I should run but far too hungover!!

Today is big shop and staying in tonight with the old net flicks/sky. Should have some money left over from this month's budget but will prob put that into separate account to pay for house stuff as we have a fair amount to get still.

Vets final check up was £42.87! But he now has the all clear thank god!!!
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 17th May 17, 7:30 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    coastalchick
    Big shop was a ridiculous amount (just under 150) we were trying to eat healthy but it's so expensive to do so. No wonder UK has an obesity problem, its much easier to eat rubbish.

This week has been good and bad. Gift for new baby ended up being £58 due to delivery. Car had to be serviced - £377 as needed a new battery. But not been serviced in almost 2 years so I suppose cost was justified. Bought wine on the way home (2 bottles plus milk) just under £20 but not yet opened it. Hoping to hang on until tomorrow but BD is out at band practice so I'm tempted by a glass whilst watching the good fight.

Get paid on Friday. We are 20th of each month except when falls on a weekend when it's the friday before. Means new month's budget starts on saturday. Hoping to have around £130 left over from this month's budget to shove in savings. Not sure whether to put it into an account which is for house stuff we need or put in long term savings. Maybe I'll divide between the 2. Wont have much left over in new month's pay as am paying back tax office at 422 a month up to and including september's pay. This month our mortgage repayment is more as it is a month and a half as it's first one and it's BD's birthday in a couple of weeks and want to get him a flying lesson.

Good news is I got the cat's insurers to change their mind and they are paying the claim in full!!!! Plus taking the exclusion off his policy meaning he is covered going forwards (though not much for rest of this year if that condition rears its head again as policy limit of 2k per condition annually). It does pay to argue and I do think I was right as there was a 2 month 4 year gap with no problems so how it could be said to be a pre-existing condition I failed to see (and they couldn't explain)

Am going to try to be more frugal generally in this month's budget and try to meal plan cheaply. We are away twice in this month's budget but that should come out of money in my holiday account.

Still worry about money all the time and constantly going over figures/future worries in my head - I do think it is taking over my life a bit and not really sure how to change that.
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 17th May 17, 8:43 PM
    • 906 Posts
    • 3,275 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Very pushed for time but wanted to say quickly good news on the cat re the money and the recovery. xxx
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 19th May 17, 6:41 AM
    • 121 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    coastalchick
    managed not to spend anything yesterday - a first for a while. Unless BD got stuff for house on joint card which I don't yet know about.

Mis-read the figure for the car - was 337 so BD gave me £20 back as he paid - good as can go into savings.

Pay day today! Looking forward to setting aside the money for mortgage, bills etc then siphoning off everything else for the various savings pots.

Have a session with my old trainer this morning - 45 mins - £32.50. Going to go once a week to try to lose a bit of weight as have piled so much on. Walking to work and back every day which is 1hr 10 of walking a day as I can't run at the moment as my knee keeps giving way.

Then will grab something for lunch (never anything in the house on a friday!) and we need milk and will work on my book.

Tonight is "big shop" and quiet night in. Tomorrow night we annoyingly have dinner at one of BD's friends houses (I will drive) and sunday a bbq as one of BD's mates is back in town (again, I will drive).

I just long for a whole weekend of not having to see people for one reason or another. Sadly we don't have that until 9 June and then after that, October!!!!

One more week at work (4 working days) then a whole 11 days off! Cannot wait.

Read something really sad earlier. Someone who I am friends with on FB (so don't really know) posted that they had been prescribed 2 things and as it was £17, they could only afford 1 until pay day next week. I find that incredibly sad. They also often post about how they can't afford petrol. But this person does buy a Starbucks coffee every day. If I was properly friends with them I'd probably suggest if they cut out the Starbucks, they could afford a lot more in life. That must be £3 per day. Though I guess they might say this is one of their only pleasures.
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 19th May 17, 11:40 AM
    • 121 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    coastalchick
    have been to trainer even though couldn't find my gym stuff at first so almost had to cancel!! Feel much better after going even though it was hard! £32.50 for 45 mins is a lot though so think will just do for a few weeks then review.

Went to shop on way home and spent almost a tenner. BD will pay for some of this though. Got 2 x milks, vanilla hagen-daz (was on offer!), cheap version of cornettos and something for my lunch as no proper food in the house! Having a chippy tea tonight but that will be about a fiver each.

Really need to work on book today but am just exhausted as didn't sleep very well last night.
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 19th May 17, 3:49 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    coastalchick
    got a new tax coding today and so down another £27.17 per month. A bit annoying but I suppose that's life!! The £422 repayments to tax office are hitting quite hard at the moment. But not a lot I can do about that. At least I know it's only 4 more pay packets of pain!

Entered a free competition with Diet Coke to win a holiday. But unlikely to win!

Ordered some toilet brushes, a bathroom bin and a plastic shopping bag dispenser (our bags just clutter otherwise and this is wall mounted so will keep them out the way) - majority paid for with the amazon vouchers we got from credit card points, rest on card but BD has been nagging me to do this for a while so glad I've now sorted it!

Think we are watching top gun tonight!
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 20th May 17, 8:46 AM
    • 121 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    coastalchick
    didn't do big shop last night as couldn't face it and hadn't made a list. Went to b&q and got some chimneas and covers for them and a couple of other things BD needed for sorting decking. We had ordered some chimneas from amazon but they delivered them to Germany instead (WTF?!) and we'd been waiting about 3 weeks or so! Contacted amazon and they said that seller had been removed and refunded us so the ones from b&q (plus the other odds and sods) were only a bit extra so pretty much already paid for.

Got take away pizza last night - £24 including a salad. Much cheaper than going out and neither of us drank last night either plus we have leftovers (mine of course, BD gobbled all of his!) for lunch.

BD currently outside scrubbing second half of decking to repair it. Costing us a fair bit to do in terms of decking boards, treatment, paint etc but much cheaper than having someone come in to do it as BD is very handy DIY-wise. Really, the whole thing needs replacing as a lot of the underneath is quite rotten but because garden is north facing, the decking doesn't really get enough sun to dry it out so replacing with standard decking, the same thing will just happen again. As it's quite a vast area it would cost (I reckon) a couple of grand to replace so if same thing is just happen again it would be silly to do it. So, we are thinking of either replacing with TREX (which has 25 year guarantee and no treatment required) or patio but both would cost a lot and we are potentially thinking of extending that way in a year or two (if BD's flat sells, which is currently off the market and now rented out until July 2018) so would just be silly to go to cost of replacement. Trying to eek another year or two out of it, probably at a cost of around £300-500 all in (not yet totalled it up as BD been buying in stages) before making expensive decisions.

I'm off to do big shop in a mo. Luckily we don't need too much this week so should be (relatively) cheap at least. Then I'm going to finish tidying up (been doing a bit just now) and clean a bit, plus make a potato, asparagus and rocket tart for lunch, before working on my book. Tonight we are to BD's friends, a couple I don't really know, for dinner. Could do without it tbh as would much rather stay home. Same tomorrow with the bbq (though know the people at least). I just would like a quiet time!

Didn't have much (if anything, not yet calculated) to take over from this month's budget as forgot I needed some make up which I ordered last night plus a personalised card for BD's birthday. Add that to my share of pizza cost and it might be a few pounds if I'm lucky! Must be better this month!!
    Last edited by coastalchick; 20-05-2017 at 8:48 AM.
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 21st May 17, 11:35 AM
    • 121 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    coastalchick
    Shop was £94 in total. Much more than I thought it was going to be and didn't really buy any extras. So £47 for my share. Think it may have increased as bought some wine to take last night and some beers/meat for BBQ today. Got 5 x salmon fillets for a tenner though so that will do us for another meal week after next.

Made the tart - wasn't bad actually (BD raved about it so that's good) so we have leftovers for lunch today and BBQ for tea. Didn't manage to work on book yesterday as after tart making did a lot of cleaning and trying to find a blanket box online for putting on upstairs landing to keep all our spare bedding/towels in. It's still in big cardboard boxes at the moment and we'd like to get it unpacked if possible. Found 2 so need to get BD's view but he is still working on decking/making chimneas.

Then b**ts. Got 3 for 2 on travel size shampoo/conditioner/face wash as we go away week after next so needed those. Picked BD up some toiletries at his request but he pays for those. £5.39 on a new eyeliner (which was needed because my current one is running out).

Took some jeans back to shop (didn't fit as I am now fat).

Went to his friends last night and we both got horribly drunk. They are quite big drinkers and I was nervous as only met them once before. Food was great though and was a laugh. Taxi home and BD paid so think I owe him for that.

Drove there last night and parked at BD's mum's as she lives round corner. She will pick us up around 3 to go get the car then we will go to BBQ. I will drive. BD said he'd drive if I wanted to drink but I don't sleep well when I drink and have a busy week at work coming up (and only 4 days then off for 11 so really need to crack on) so I will drive and not drink. Plus it's his lad friends so he might want a few beers with them.

This week shouldn't need to spend much (other than stuff for house which is coming out of separate account which I have squirreled away). We will prob just need a milk top up at some point mid-week.

Some good news yesterday: my dad bets on the horses (he's very disciplined and only bets a set amount which he knows he can afford to lose, but overall he makes around 8k or more a year profit anyway) and whatever he wins he divides by 4 and he takes a quarter, quarter to my mum, quarter to me and quarter to my brother. Yesterday he won over £900 so nearly £250 coming my way! He is really very generous. He doesn't need to give us that but he always says it gives him pleasure as he knows we will spend it for our holidays or in my brother's case, getting his roof fixed!!
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 22nd May 17, 7:07 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    coastalchick
    BBQ was fun. I drove and had diet coke. BD had 1 beer. Came home and shared a grab bag of maltesers, watched tv and went to bed at 830!

Neither of us slept very well, BD was the worst. He said his back was keeping him up after working on decking all weekend. So I phoned up and booked him in for a sports massage tomorrow and paid - £45. So much for not spending much this week! But don't want his back to be shot and he deserves it.

Free lunch at work today and it wasn't too bad as far as mondays go although shattered. Cook yourself thin carbonara for tea which will start in a mo. Tomorrow is lunch from stores then salmon and veg for tea.

Just sold cat scratching post (which he never used!) for £15 so will put that towards our hols next week.

3 more days then 11 off. Cant wait. This week is quiet in the evenings. Thank the lord. Though we have people round Sat night - dreading it a bit as they are big drinkers and just want a quiet life!

Insurance premium from old property was refunded today. As we'd taken it out in november then bought here in april was no longer needed so a refund of £208.57! Have split it with BD.

Oh and my tooting property may now have been sorted. Had a massive stress and panic as after spending a fortune extending the leasehold, the land registry wouldn't register the extension due to a weird charge on my title (which i knew nothing about and which neither the lawyers on my purchase or my extension advised me about). The lawyers that did the extension tell me they've managed to register the extension (though I don't yet have any paperwork!) and I got in touch with the firm who have taken over the firm that did my purchase in 2003. They contacted me today to say they think they've sorted it and the land registry had said it was a mistake and should've been removed in 2003! Thank god!!! that property is my pension and I have been SO worried about it.
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 23rd May 17, 6:38 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    coastalchick
    got the paperwork today for the registered lease extension. So one battle down. Charge still there but the date of the document was 11 May so it may have been removed since. Forwarded it to the other firm dealing with the charge part so fingers crossed in a couple of weeks it should all be done!

BD found out his bonus and payrise here and isn't happy. Won't post what he got on here but it's about half what he was expecting and bearing in mind all the hours he put in this year. But because the company had to prepare for a visit from regulators, they were down on profit so everyone got less. He's having his massage at the moment so hopefully he's relaxed!

Didn't spend today (other than BD ordered some stand things for the chimneas but that came out of house stuff account). Walked to work and back (so saved petrol money and got exercise), had lunch from stores and now going to have salmon, couscous and veg from stores.

Tomorrow is lunch out with a friend but they have a great set menu so should be no more than £12.50. Tomorrow night is dinner from freezer (from batch cooking stuff) as BD has band practice so don't want to cook a proper meal.
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 24th May 17, 5:30 PM
    • 741 Posts
    • 660 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Disheartened to hear that the payrise/bonus wasn’t as expected as I know it caused a bit of stress for you guys that he had to work so much! Never an easy pill to swallow!

So pleased to hear about Marley’s vet bills! Fab news, insurers just rest on the knowledge most people won’t argue a claim but I’m like you and would have done. Glad he’s got the all clear and sounds like he has some space to roam in now!

Well done for going to the trainer, I need to do the same as I’ve gained some weight. You’ve inspired me to book a taster session.
    Christmas Shopping: £30 Amazon £30 Argos £10 Tesco
    Loan: £3,000.00
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 24th May 17, 6:17 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    coastalchick
    Thanks Sauce and glad you're inspired! Agree re insurers, totally chuffed with that even though it took 2 months of arguing!

Walked to work and back today (MSE plus healthy). Lunch out with friend was £17 as we had coffees and ordered a side to share plus tip. Still good value though and great to see a true friend after yet more !!!!!iness and high school behaviour from the couple of girls in that group I'm in who have taken a dislike to me.

Dinner is from freezer, leftover body coach chicken pie (healthy) and left over home made lasagne (not healthy!). BD has band practice tonight and is still very annoyed re his bonus - apparently he didn't speak to anyone at work today and left early! He will get over it though and normal service will resume soon!

Need to get some tie backs for curtains in kitchen/lounge. Just looked online but not really anything there so will try locally maybe friday/saturday.

Last day in office for me tomorrow then 11 days off - woo hoo! Have a fair bit to finish though! Tomorrow will be lunch from stores but then have to pick up eggs and maltesers and milk on way home as making a cake to take to a friends on friday. Had got the ingredients in weekly shop but BD and I demolished the maltesers and I managed to screw up and crack eggs for something else, only to realise wrong size and had to chuck down drain!!

We have managed to cancel the dinner for sat night and am SO relieved. So should be a v quiet weekend for us doing stuff to house/garden.
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 25th May 17, 6:49 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    coastalchick
    woo hoo! Finished work for 11 days! Walking home felt SO good!

MSE wise a mixed day - walked to and from work so saved petrol money and increased fitness. Took sandwich lunch in and avoided town. But on way home messaged BD to say I had to go to shop to get maltesers and milk and did he want anything else. Crisps were requested. Then I decided I didn't want what we had for tea (healthy of course) and wanted something else. Of course BD jumped at chance. So 23.03 in WR later (!). Got the milk and maltesers but got a huge £3 box of maltesers. This was because it was cheaper per 100g to buy the big box and I thought we'll eat them! Crisps 93p for big bag so not bad. Milk = ok as needed. Then wine - £6.71. Just because it's a lovely sunny day and I've finished work for 11 days and BD only got tomorrow in office then is off for 10 days. Then 3 for £10 on naughty meals. But one tonight and 2 for freezer so not too bad.

Tonight have to make cake (waiting for butter to bloody soften). BD finishing off decking. Cat not happy at being kept in though he's had all day to play out. Then tomorrow is trainer 830am (£32.50 so not very MSE), friends for coffee (taking cake but will likely bring leftovers back) then will work on book.

Tomorrow night probe big shop and either easy dinner or take away and free film.

BD still not happy re bonus but he'll get over it
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 27th May 17, 6:40 AM
    • 121 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    coastalchick
    Yesterday was lovely. Walked to trainer, worked out (£32.50) then walked back. So lots of exercise and it was just lovely walking back hearing all the birds tweeting and the water flowing and seeing all the lovely trees.

Took cake to friend's and caught up with her - was so nice to see her as been too long so we are putting more plans in the diary. Her husband has never met BD (they keep themselves to themselves) but she thinks they will massively get on so we are organising something.

Then the money damage started! Realised in taking cake to friend's I have no tub in which to transport round cakes safely (brought half cake back and it suffered injury!) so bought a new cake dome thing. £7.99 (all expenses halved as BD and I share costs). Then got a 24 pack diet coke and some document folders as we want to sort out all our paperwork now we are off and store it away. £14.50.

Did big shop and as we didn't manage to get everything will have to get a few more things today but will be over budget. Partially because we bought 6 bottles of (nice) wine (if you buy 6 you get an extra 5% off) but we got stuff for a BBQ and had that rather than a take away last night, so had we had take away that would probably have been £25-30 and reckon we might be over shop budget by about that so broken even really. Plus, because am off am batch cooking a normal lasagne, a leek and pancetta lasagne and a lamb, butternut and tamarind tagine, all of which will have portions frozen out of them so will do more than this week's meals.

Today we are going to buy a blanket box (but this is out of house fund budget) for landing to store all the bedding in so that we can start getting organised. And I will (hopefully!) weed driveway and make a lasagne. Think (if weather ok) we might have another BBQ tonight. Was so nice last night, BD and I sat out on the (newly renovated) decking with our chimneas lit drinking red wine and chatting. Just nice to enjoy the house and garden for a while instead of rushing to fix things!
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 28th May 17, 11:16 AM
    • 121 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    coastalchick
    Spending continued yesterday. Blanket box purchased in sale, still expensive but solid beautiful wood so will last and came from house fund. Now on landing and sorted all bedding (nightmare). Bought an outside storage box (again from house fund) and got £10 off with voucher so that is down side of house to put all outside cr*p in and BD happy with that. Did rest of shopping which wasn't cheap but overall think we are about even if we had got take out fri night. We have also decided not to go out this weekend (when we would normally on BH) so saving there. No booze yesterday after and watched reasonable doubt on netflix which was quite good.

Rest of yesterday BD did whole garden which now looks lovely again and I sorted out my boxes and boxes of paperwork which went back to 2004! Everything was pretty much mixed in together and all over the place. Had loads of stuff didn't need so now have a massive box of shredding to do, was able to recycle all non-confidentials and now everything sorted into separate (cardboard to save room and cost) folders by year and all in one big box to go in storage cupboard.

It actually really scared me reading back through some of it and the debt I was in. Getting consolidating loans at 7.1% for 25k and constantly owing interest on credit card statements. I was useless with money, I really was and it does make me realise why I am so paranoid about going that way again. Hoping I wont as a lot better now and though I do have 3 credit cards, I only use 2 (thinking may as well get rid of the other one actually) and it is only for points. These days I put my "spending money" into a separate (interest earning, albeit low) account and whenever I spend on my card, I transfer the amount straight into another bank account (also low interest earning) so that come the end of the month I have the money available to pay off the card. Also works quite well for us as I keep a tally of joint expenses so that BD can then transfer me his share. Plus means I get a (few pence!) interest a month and points meaning get money off flights or vouchers for amazon etc.

BD has just pulled a load of stuff out of shed we are going to eBay for a few pennies which can then go in house fund.

Stressing a lot about money at the moment, buying and furnishing a house is expensive even when you already have a lot of furniture. That said, I know I'm lucky to be able to afford a house
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 29th May 17, 11:01 AM
    • 121 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    coastalchick
    Not the best weekend! Calculated we've spent over £200 on food and drink this week. Much more than normal though we've not been out. Food is a major thing for both of us and we do like to eat well and cook from scratch when we have time. Yesterday I made a lamb, butternut squash and tamarind tagine from the food we'd bought. Had it for tea and 3 portions frozen so will do another meal plus one of us when we're home alone. Also made the bolognase for the lasagne am going to make - again, all from scratch. BD had a taste and said it's the best I've ever made and it did look pretty rich and awesome. So will finish that off today (cream sauce from scratch then layer pasta, mozzarella and parmesan) and we can have lasagne for tea then freeze rest - hoping will be around 4 portions left over (as BD does normally eat a lot I can never guarantee if something to feed 6 will actually stretch that far) so should do 2 more meals.

Got up this morning with good intentions of weeding driveway - started and got around a box and a half of weeds done and then stupidly pulled hard at this massive weed and did my back in! So cannot help any further and currently sat at kitchen table feeling very sorry for self as can barely walk, whilst BD is having to do even more in the garden/drive. Feel so bad I can't help but he's told me to sit here (and I don't have much choice as can't walk) and work on my book which is what going to do in a mo. Have loads of freeze spray on my back and am sure I have a spare tramadol floating around somewhere from when I get my nerve thing so might take that for my back.

So our plans for today (of getting house sorted) are pretty much out and not sure what else I'll be ale to do over next couple of days. We go to Madrid on hols on thursday so BD wants to make sure I am better for that as won't be much fun if I can't walk. Might try to eBay some of the stuff we have to get rid of to help out
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 29th May 17, 6:47 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    coastalchick
    Lasagne been finished off and is now cooking in the oven - yum! BD went out and got more wine(!) (not that we've got through all the stuff we've already bought but we had one last night we really liked so he got another bottle of that and a different one of same make (£14.51 total). Then he got a small table and chairs from b&q (£55) plus some gravel for driveway (£not sure!). Cash just flying out at the moment and will be no change tomorrow. Have to get 2 x keys cut - 1 for BD's cousin who is feeding cat whilst away and 1 for BD's mum who will pop in to see the cat whilst away. And we need currency for Madrid (but that will come from holiday fund).

Still no plans to go out which is good. BD's mum might pop round with the kids tomorrow but is on a diet so at least don't need to make/buy a cake. Still have a couple of chocolate bunnies left from easter so the kids can have those and squash. Tomorrow night am planning to make a leek and pancetta lasagne which have never made before so hoping it comes out ok. Know BD prefers the meat one but am all for trying new stuff.

Just realised how annoying it is to type BD all the time - am going to change his name to just B!

Still panicking about cash all the time. It is literally flying out at the moment and I know that is the case when you buy a house but it still scares me. Does sometimes make me think I should go back to being a proper lawyer again or go 5 days a week but then I remember what it was like and it makes me shudder. Did anyone watch that trial programme, murder in the family on C4? Watching that kind of made me want to go back again, not least because even the QC defending (who is clearly amazing) said he still gets nervous before a trial - makes me think it's not just me! But they are so good, and I'm just not so really I think it is right thing not to go back.
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 30th May 17, 9:45 AM
    • 121 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    coastalchick
    Back is !!!!!!ed and really worried that am not going to be ok walking round Madrid. Going to make a docs appointment to at least get some strong painkillers and get some more freeze spray to take.

Going to get ready in a mo and head into town. Need 2 x keys cut then some small travel pot things so don't have to take whole bottle of moisturiser. Also need some freeze spray and milk. Lunch from stores then B's family coming around for a bit. Tile man supposed to be coming today and blinds man as those need fixing - more cash and house fund is slowly depleting!

Seen the sofa we want - it's a Harris Green Tweed and is a ridiculous price but will go beautifully with room and also less likely to get marked (compared to what we have now which is light grey!) but will have to save for that I think
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,027Posts Today

9,357Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin