Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AliceBanned
    • By AliceBanned 24th Feb 17, 7:20 PM
    • 2,313Posts
    • 1,075Thanks
    AliceBanned
    Bidding for a car on Ebay
    • 24th Feb 17, 7:20 PM
    Bidding for a car on Ebay 24th Feb 17 at 7:20 PM
    Hi I just viewed a Fiesta that is on Ebay. The man who is selling it said he wouldn't be in but his wife would be there. Everything seems fine, nice neighbourhood, nice lady, car looks fine etc etc and it is only £250 at the moment with 61k on the clock. It is year 2000 and I just need something to last me a few months.

I asked her for the documents and although they are in the pic on the website she didn't have them. I should have looked in the glove box. She did have the V5 but the part to send away was torn off. The advert did say he bought it for his teenage son who decided he didn't want it. It means I am buying it from a different name and address to that where I saw it, and to that on Ebay. She said he tore the other part off to send away before his son said he didn't want the car (she said their son is autistic).

Not sure what to do. I like the car - oh could only turn the engine and not drive it as it is not taxed and anyway i'm not insured - and I've done initial hpi checks using reg plate only and all shows up fine. But just that anomaly with the V5 worries me a bit, don't know why as I might get it for £300. Could there be any repercussions if there is something wrong re the ownership?

I've never bought a car on Ebay before and it seems a bit crazy! He has excellent record on there btw.
    Thanks
    DFW - goal December 2019

• By GDB2222 15th Mar 17, 11:04 AM
    • 13,842 Posts
    • 74,079 Thanks
    GDB2222
    Does anyone know how long it takes for an MOT to show on the Gov.UK website once it's been done?

Thanks
    Originally posted by AliceBanned
    Answered here:

https://mattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk/your-questions-answered-june-2013/

See second question down.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    • AliceBanned
    • By AliceBanned 15th Mar 17, 11:16 AM
    • 2,313 Posts
    • 1,075 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    So if a seller is telling me it's done and it's not on there (they told me yesterday) they must be lying.
    DFW - goal December 2019

• By LeeUK 15th Mar 17, 11:22 AM
    • 5,440 Posts
    • 2,533 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Last time I bought a car last summer the V5 came back in my name in 3 days. So based on that they should have the V5 back in their name or the sons name already before the auction ended.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 15th Mar 17, 1:01 PM
    • 4,240 Posts
    • 3,571 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    When my car was MOT'd a few months ago, the MOT record had appeared on the online checked before the tester had come back in to the office to give me the certificate. I was checking the record online from my phone as I watched him finish the test, so I knew the car had passed within minutes of the test ending.

It is possible that an issue at the test centre's end could have resulted in a contingency process being used, which basically consists of a paper record then retrospectively being entered. Relatively unusual but it does happen.
    • AliceBanned
    • By AliceBanned 15th Mar 17, 4:12 PM
    • 2,313 Posts
    • 1,075 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    I've phoned them. Obviously they've not admitted to lying but they claim it is being put through today - I think they are fobbing me off but will wait and see.
    DFW - goal December 2019

• By AliceBanned 15th Mar 17, 4:39 PM
    • 2,313 Posts
    • 1,075 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    They've just left voicemail to say all done. I will check the website again shortly as it is still not updated as having new MOT.
    DFW - goal December 2019

• By GDB2222 15th Mar 17, 5:00 PM
    • 13,842 Posts
    • 74,079 Thanks
    GDB2222
    At a guess, the car failed its mot. They've now fixed it, and it's passed the retest.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    • AliceBanned
    • By AliceBanned 15th Mar 17, 5:26 PM
    • 2,313 Posts
    • 1,075 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    They are being cagey. They said no advisories. he told me it takes 24 hrs for the MOT to show on the system. They were going to deliver it but I'm not doing anything until I see it on the system. Now I think they want me to pick it up.

OMG this is like pulling teeth!

I even went on phone to my bank to ask about chargeback for the deposit. They said it happens a lot and if there is a problem and they haven't honoured their agreement I can claim back via financial ombudsman. But why don't people just be more transparent? I asked him to email me that it has the year's mot and he said 'what's the point?'.

Duh..because I was buying a car from you you plonker and if you can't help me then stuff it.
    DFW - goal December 2019

• By Richard53 15th Mar 17, 8:24 PM
    • 2,456 Posts
    • 2,121 Thanks
    Richard53
    Does anyone know how long it takes for an MOT to show on the Gov.UK website once it's been done?

Thanks
    They say up to five days, but I have known it be updated within half an hour.
    An hour alone spells freedom to the slave.
    • AliceBanned
    • By AliceBanned 15th Mar 17, 9:09 PM
    • 2,313 Posts
    • 1,075 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    It is there now, March 2018.
    DFW - goal December 2019

• By AliceBanned 15th Mar 17, 9:12 PM
    • 2,313 Posts
    • 1,075 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    It is a Hyundai Coupe 06 plate. I have some doubts it's right for me at this late stage but will go ahead as I said I would if they put on a year's MoT.
    DFW - goal December 2019

• By mro 17th Mar 17, 12:23 AM
    • 595 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    mro
    I'd only stay up if I really really really wanted something, and usually a check earlier will show if it is getting too dear. tbh, I'd just set an alarm for 10 minutes before anyway.

Sometimes I forget, and that saves me money, as sometimes I might be watching say a left handed screwdriver, that I don't actually need, but quite fancy owning

You have to give the sniper full access to your account, which is why I don't use them. (You never get something for nothing, and these snipers are always a third party site- it wouldn't be difficult to have software to do it entirely from your computer, so why are they all external websites???)
    Originally posted by facade
    Now that is a new one, a left handed screwdriver !!!

Back in the day, maybe 10 years ago when ebay was new & I was an ebay maniac, I would get into bidding wars, bidding in last seconds, having 2 or more web pages ready with bids to fire in, all by hand, none of this automated snipe bidding !
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 17th Mar 17, 12:23 AM
    • 5,440 Posts
    • 2,533 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Now that is a new one, a left handed screwdriver !!!

Back in the day, maybe years ago when ebay was new & I was an ebay maniac, I would get into bidding wars, bidding in last seconds, having 2 or more web pages ready with bids to fire in, all by hand, none of this automated snipe bidding !
    Originally posted by mro
    Yep I've been using eBay for prob about 15 years and I have always done my bids manually, never used last minute bidding software.

These days I usually just set my max bid then forget about it until I get a notification that I have won or not.
    • AliceBanned
    • By AliceBanned 20th Mar 17, 12:21 PM
    • 2,313 Posts
    • 1,075 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    It is a Hyundai Coupe 06 plate. I have some doubts it's right for me at this late stage but will go ahead as I said I would if they put on a year's MoT.
    I drove it home on Saturday. Took a little while to get the driving position right and some more 'bonding' time but I officially love my Coupe.
    DFW - goal December 2019

• By EdGasket 20th Mar 17, 1:15 PM
    • 3,456 Posts
    • 1,444 Thanks
    EdGasket
    Hyundai's are great cars; glad it worked out for you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,176Posts Today

8,286Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin