Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AliceBanned
    • By AliceBanned 24th Feb 17, 6:20 PM
    • 2,260Posts
    • 1,044Thanks
    AliceBanned
    Bidding for a car on Ebay
    • 24th Feb 17, 6:20 PM
    Bidding for a car on Ebay 24th Feb 17 at 6:20 PM
    Hi I just viewed a Fiesta that is on Ebay. The man who is selling it said he wouldn't be in but his wife would be there. Everything seems fine, nice neighbourhood, nice lady, car looks fine etc etc and it is only £250 at the moment with 61k on the clock. It is year 2000 and I just need something to last me a few months.

I asked her for the documents and although they are in the pic on the website she didn't have them. I should have looked in the glove box. She did have the V5 but the part to send away was torn off. The advert did say he bought it for his teenage son who decided he didn't want it. It means I am buying it from a different name and address to that where I saw it, and to that on Ebay. She said he tore the other part off to send away before his son said he didn't want the car (she said their son is autistic).

Not sure what to do. I like the car - oh could only turn the engine and not drive it as it is not taxed and anyway i'm not insured - and I've done initial hpi checks using reg plate only and all shows up fine. But just that anomaly with the V5 worries me a bit, don't know why as I might get it for £300. Could there be any repercussions if there is something wrong re the ownership?

I've never bought a car on Ebay before and it seems a bit crazy! He has excellent record on there btw.
    Thanks
    DFW - goal December 2018
    Bank of mum and dad: £1600. Debt at LBM: £14,418. Current: £10,873 Total debt repayment: £700pm
    'If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.' (Maya Angelou).
    • By EdGasket 25th Feb 17, 8:59 PM
    • 3,367 Posts
    • 1,407 Thanks
    EdGasket
    Sold for £310
    Originally posted by Sleazy
    More exciting than the Archers! Don't forget to monitor the feedback.
    • jobdone1
    • By jobdone1 25th Feb 17, 10:13 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 521 Thanks
    jobdone1
    In responce to angrycrow, if the add on eBay is not truthful when you go to pay then you walk away. Don't mislead to sell your crap
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 25th Feb 17, 10:28 PM
    • 24,442 Posts
    • 9,683 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    More exciting than the Archers! Don't forget to monitor the feedback.
    Originally posted by EdGasket
    Feedback will probably be left quickly before they find out what they have actually bought. It made it home so good feedback maybe left then.

When the MOTs due and they say the suspension is held on with duck tape it will be too late.

Lots will buy items and leave feedback when it gets delivered. Often they do not wait to test the items first.

Seen a few threads on here, Sold an item and the buyer left positive feedback but they claim it doesnt work. Usually asking if the positive feedback overrides them having to refund.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • just trying
    • By just trying 25th Feb 17, 10:51 PM
    • 765 Posts
    • 2,666 Thanks
    just trying
    Sorry not read everything but if she only had the new keeper bit I would say avoid.

You won't be the new keeper, plus you can't tax it, if you only want it a few months. It's seems to be within a week turn around just now so they should have changed owner over. My son has had 2 cars in 4 days, changed ownership. Full v5 back. Yes he likes bikes and cars....bikes better it exhausting keeping up with him.
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE MEMBER 098
    WILL SAVE ATLEAST £500!.
    • EdGasket
    • By EdGasket 26th Feb 17, 9:32 AM
    • 3,367 Posts
    • 1,407 Thanks
    EdGasket
    When the MOTs due and they say the suspension is held on with duck tape it will be too late.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    The MoT isn't until the end of the year. I think if it goes alright until then, the buyer will have had their monies worth for £310
    • JoeyJoe
    • By JoeyJoe 26th Feb 17, 3:55 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    JoeyJoe
    In responce to angrycrow, if the add on eBay is not truthful when you go to pay then you walk away. Don't mislead to sell your crap
    Originally posted by jobdone1
    But also don't buy a car you haven't seen, and expect to be able to walk away from it when it comes to buying it if you change your mind.
    • GabbaGabbaHey
    • By GabbaGabbaHey 26th Feb 17, 4:38 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 486 Thanks
    GabbaGabbaHey
    as I might sit up until 2AM to bid the £500 I think it is worth, when the bidding is at £350, (But the seller has a reserve of £1000) and miss an identical one for £550 while I am waiting.
    Originally posted by facade
    Why on earth would you stay up to 2am just to place a bid on eBay, when you could just use an auction sniper and get a good nights sleep?
    Philip
    • facade
    • By facade 26th Feb 17, 5:34 PM
    • 2,527 Posts
    • 1,295 Thanks
    facade
    Why on earth would you stay up to 2am just to place a bid on eBay, when you could just use an auction sniper and get a good nights sleep?
    Originally posted by GabbaGabbaHey
    I'd only stay up if I really really really wanted something, and usually a check earlier will show if it is getting too dear. tbh, I'd just set an alarm for 10 minutes before anyway.

Sometimes I forget, and that saves me money, as sometimes I might be watching say a left handed screwdriver, that I don't actually need, but quite fancy owning

You have to give the sniper full access to your account, which is why I don't use them. (You never get something for nothing, and these snipers are always a third party site- it wouldn't be difficult to have software to do it entirely from your computer, so why are they all external websites???)
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • konark
    • By konark 26th Feb 17, 9:03 PM
    • 780 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    konark
    What muppet has a 2am finish time on an auction?
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 26th Feb 17, 9:22 PM
    • 2,340 Posts
    • 2,035 Thanks
    Richard53
    What muppet has a 2am finish time on an auction?
    Originally posted by konark
    Exactly. I have had a couple of bargains that way. If you stay up and watch, you're probably the only one who is.

Conversely, I have often done well in selling by timing the auction end to 10 or 11 pm on a Fri or Sat night. I reckon there could be a Carlsberg Factor of about 5% in the last two minutes.
    If all misfortunes were laid in one common heap whence everyone must take an equal portion, most people would be contented to take their own and depart. (Attrib. to Socrates)
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 26th Feb 17, 9:27 PM
    • 2,340 Posts
    • 2,035 Thanks
    Richard53
    But also don't buy a car you haven't seen, and expect to be able to walk away from it when it comes to buying it if you change your mind.
    Originally posted by JoeyJoe
    No one is talking about changing your mind. It's when an item is described falsely or inaccurately, and you turn up to find that the thing you have 'won' is not what you thought it was.
    If all misfortunes were laid in one common heap whence everyone must take an equal portion, most people would be contented to take their own and depart. (Attrib. to Socrates)
    • GabbaGabbaHey
    • By GabbaGabbaHey 27th Feb 17, 6:08 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 486 Thanks
    GabbaGabbaHey
    You have to give the sniper full access to your account, which is why I don't use them. (You never get something for nothing, and these snipers are always a third party site- it wouldn't be difficult to have software to do it entirely from your computer, so why are they all external websites???)
    Originally posted by facade
    JBidWatcher runs as a client on your own PC and you never need to provide your eBay authentication credentials to a third party.

http://www.jbidwatcher.com/
    Philip
    • AliceBanned
    • By AliceBanned 28th Feb 17, 7:44 AM
    • 2,260 Posts
    • 1,044 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    if you want to look at and try out the car with a test drive then you should do all that prior to the auction end

makes you just another time waster that does not understand what an auction is you bid to buy not bid to try
    Originally posted by force ten
    I didn't bid. I didn't do anything until I had seen the car.
    DFW - goal December 2018
    Bank of mum and dad: £1600. Debt at LBM: £14,418. Current: £10,873 Total debt repayment: £700pm
    'If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.' (Maya Angelou).
    • By tonyh66 28th Feb 17, 8:29 AM
    • 928 Posts
    • 683 Thanks
    tonyh66
    I didn't bid. I didn't do anything until I had seen the car.
    Originally posted by AliceBanned
    probably the best thing to do.
    • AliceBanned
    • By AliceBanned 9th Mar 17, 2:44 PM
    • 2,260 Posts
    • 1,044 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    How about this? Mileage high but I won't do much in a year myself, maybe 3k.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201703083041812/sort/priceasc/usedcars/dealer/895011/dpp/moto-tom-hemel-hempstead-dpp-895011/page/1/advert-type/dealer-stock?logcode=dsp

Not on Ebay but I ask because it is very close to where I live so might be worth me just going for it.
    DFW - goal December 2018
    • By BeenThroughItAll 9th Mar 17, 2:53 PM
    • 3,832 Posts
    • 3,122 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    How about this? Mileage high but I won't do much in a year myself, maybe 3k.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201703083041812/sort/priceasc/usedcars/dealer/895011/dpp/moto-tom-hemel-hempstead-dpp-895011/page/1/advert-type/dealer-stock?logcode=dsp

Not on Ebay but I ask because it is very close to where I live so might be worth me just going for it.

If you do, bid him £400 and put the £100 aside for when the 'minor leak of exhaust gases' noted on the MOT becomes the exhaust falling off.

Bear in mind that he's bought that car for a couple of hundred quid with the intention of making a fast few quid for himself. It's been said before, but I'll say it again - your £500 would be far better invested in a genuine private sale, rather than in a £250 banger + margin for a trader.
    • AliceBanned
    • By AliceBanned 9th Mar 17, 3:09 PM
    • 2,260 Posts
    • 1,044 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    If you do, bid him £400 and put the £100 aside for when the 'minor leak of exhaust gases' noted on the MOT becomes the exhaust falling off.

Bear in mind that he's bought that car for a couple of hundred quid with the intention of making a fast few quid for himself. It's been said before, but I'll say it again - your £500 would be far better invested in a genuine private sale, rather than in a £250 banger + margin for a trader.
    Originally posted by BeenThroughItAll
    Hi BeenThroughItAll and thanks for the advice.

At least this one is a bona fide dealer and not trying to pretend he isn't. I didn't think the MOTs looked too bad given the age and mileage. I've never seen this dealer sell anything as old and cheap as this.

I test drove a 2005 Golf they had for sale a while ago. I didn't like it much for me though it seemed a good car - was £2500 and at that stage I was thinking of spending more on a car. Now I realise there's probably no point spending as much as that. They later reduced it to £2200 and it sold pretty quickly but I would never have paid even that - the mileage was about 60k so I guess it was worth around £2000. They have a nice looking fiesta with white leather seats but I still think that is overpriced - I've noticed they've reduced that by £200 as it hasn't shifted. It has about 108k on the clock which is probably nearly dead for a Fiesta.

I looked on Autotrader for a valuation of this Focus and it is about £450 plus from a dealer.

Just had a quick look at the Bangernomics thread and it is quite inspiring. S type Jag perhaps or a Lexus.
    DFW - goal December 2018
    • By BeenThroughItAll 9th Mar 17, 3:17 PM
    • 3,832 Posts
    • 3,122 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    Hi BeenThroughItAll and thanks for the advice.

At least this one is a bona fide dealer and not trying to pretend he isn't. I didn't think the MOTs looked too bad given the age and mileage. I've never seen this dealer sell anything as old and cheap as this.

I test drove a 2005 Golf they had for sale a while ago. I didn't like it much for me though it seemed a good car - was £2500 and at that stage I was thinking of spending more on a car. Now I realise there's probably no point spending as much as that. They later reduced it to £2200 and it sold pretty quickly but I would never have paid even that - the mileage was about 60k so I guess it was worth around £2000. They have a nice looking fiesta with white leather seats but I still think that is overpriced - I've noticed they've reduced that by £200 as it hasn't shifted. It has about 108k on the clock which is probably nearly dead for a Fiesta.

I looked on Autotrader for a valuation of this Focus and it is about £450 plus from a dealer.

Just had a quick look at the Bangernomics thread and it is quite inspiring. S type Jag perhaps or a Lexus.

It exactly for the reason that they're a bona fide dealer that I wouldn't buy a £500 car from them. There's got to be some margin in it for them. I wouldn't get hung up on what Autotrader values a car at - at this end of the market condition is the only thing that values a car, and whilst the MOT history of that Focus doesn't look too bad, it is what it is; a very cheap, high mileage Focus with no mention of service history.

I still maintain you're better off putting your £500 into a private car, as there is virtually NO advantage to buying from a trader at that price - you'll get almost no support if something goes wrong, any warranty won't be worth the paper it's printed on, and you're putting a good chunk of your money straight into the trader's pocket - it certainly isn't paying for the car.
    • AliceBanned
    • By AliceBanned 9th Mar 17, 4:20 PM
    • 2,260 Posts
    • 1,044 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    And it's not urgent that I get a car (obviously ) so I have time to ponder these things. It makes sense what you say. I'd just be going there for the convenience. I've been browsing a bit more on here and Autotrader. Seen a Hyundai Coupe that I've enquired about. I might got a bit more upmarket and borrow £1000 so that I get something that I enjoy.
    DFW - goal December 2018
    • By AliceBanned 15th Mar 17, 9:54 AM
    • 2,260 Posts
    • 1,044 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    Does anyone know how long it takes for an MOT to show on the Gov.UK website once it's been done?

Thanks
    DFW - goal December 2018

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,577Posts Today

7,869Users online

Martin's Twitter