Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chrispy1
    • By chrispy1 24th Feb 17, 4:09 PM
    • 32Posts
    • 9Thanks
    chrispy1
    National Trust English Heritage senior discounts
    • 24th Feb 17, 4:09 PM
    National Trust English Heritage senior discounts 24th Feb 17 at 4:09 PM
    I don't know if this has already been posted about but both National trust and English Heritage have discount cost for members 60 and over.
    If your already a member they don't give you the discount automatically. So if you a member and your renewal is due give them a call.
Page 1
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 6th Mar 17, 5:37 PM
    • 14,776 Posts
    • 119,019 Thanks
    JackieO
    • 6th Mar 17, 5:37 PM
    • 6th Mar 17, 5:37 PM
    Also my english heritage card has my three gradsons on it and my Dd comes in free as my carer as I have a walking mobility problem
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Newly retired
    • By Newly retired 6th Mar 17, 11:41 PM
    • 2,299 Posts
    • 2,641 Thanks
    Newly retired
    • 6th Mar 17, 11:41 PM
    • 6th Mar 17, 11:41 PM
    As far as I remember, you have to have been a member of National Trust for five years before they let you have senior citizens discount.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 9th Mar 17, 8:49 AM
    • 17,671 Posts
    • 13,369 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 9th Mar 17, 8:49 AM
    • 9th Mar 17, 8:49 AM
    As far as I remember, you have to have been a member of National Trust for five years before they let you have senior citizens discount.
    Originally posted by Newly retired
    You're right, and it seems rather mean (although to my mind the NT have always been pretty tight fisted).

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/news/senior-membership-prices
    • alanq
    • By alanq 9th Mar 17, 9:51 AM
    • 3,593 Posts
    • 2,295 Thanks
    alanq
    • 9th Mar 17, 9:51 AM
    • 9th Mar 17, 9:51 AM
    If the aim is to have cheaper days out rather than to support the work of NT it is worth considering membership of the corresponding Scottish charity. Please check the prices / benefits / drawbacks by visiting the links below.

National Trust for Scotland
    Senior Membership costs £38 by annual Direct Debit for the first year (includes 10% discount) and I can see no mention of having to be a member for 5 years. Benefits includes free admission to NT sites. Compare with NT £64.80pa for a senior without 5 years' membership.
    https://www.nts.org.uk/Membership/Monthly/
    http://www.nts.org.uk/Site/Membership/Reciprocal-entry-sites/

For English Heritage the Scottish alternative is less attractive unless one is going to make use of membership to also visit NTS sites.

Historic Scotland
    Senior Membership costs £37.53pa by annual Direct Debit. During the first year of membership one gets half price admission to EH sites. After the first year there is free admission to EH sites. Compare with English Heritage £43.50pa (initially for 15 months) for free admission from year one.
    https://members.historic-scotland.gov.uk/prices
    https://members.historic-scotland.gov.uk/partnership-organisations

One drawback in both cases would be that one would not receive the same magazines / guides / handbooks.
    Last edited by alanq; 09-03-2017 at 11:40 AM. Reason: corrected typo
    I'm a Board Guide on the Budgeting and Bank Accounts, Savings & Investments, Food Shopping and Over 50s MoneySaving boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Arthurian
    • By Arthurian 17th Mar 17, 6:30 PM
    • 611 Posts
    • 542 Thanks
    Arthurian
    • 17th Mar 17, 6:30 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 6:30 PM
    Not sure, but I think having reciprocal membership from other organisations means you have to pay for parking at National Trust places.
    • chris_m
    • By chris_m 17th Mar 17, 7:28 PM
    • 5,124 Posts
    • 15,792 Thanks
    chris_m
    • 17th Mar 17, 7:28 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 7:28 PM
    Not sure, but I think having reciprocal membership from other organisations means you have to pay for parking at National Trust places.
    Originally posted by Arthurian
    Rats - that's the principle reason I am an NT member, plenty of NT car parks around me in the Lake District. Not being a member would cost me considerably more than being one

Pity I've a few years to go before I can ask for the discount though
    • fatbeetle
    • By fatbeetle 18th Mar 17, 12:57 AM
    • 207 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    fatbeetle
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:57 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:57 AM
    I left my NT membership lapse after finding out they allow fox hunts on their land.
    “If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and who weren't so lazy.”
    • woolly_wombat
    • By woolly_wombat 18th Mar 17, 10:26 AM
    • 467 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    woolly_wombat
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:26 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:26 AM
    I don't know if this has already been posted about but both National trust and English Heritage have discount cost for members 60 and over.
    If your already a member they don't give you the discount automatically. So if you a member and your renewal is due give them a call.
    Originally posted by chrispy1
    Another interesting wrinkle is that, if you have joint membership, only one of you needs to have reached 60 to take advantage of the discount.

We took advantage of joint life membership before they put up their prices and vowed to keep staggering around National Trust properties until well into our dotage!
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 18th Mar 17, 7:09 PM
    • 5,408 Posts
    • 4,935 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    If you are a current or past employee of DWP, the Department of Health or the Food Standard Agency, then one of the benefits of joining their HASSRA (sports & recreation) society is corporate membership of English Heritage. As HASSRA membership is only £24 a year it's a good saving on joining English Heritage directly.

http://www.hassra.org.uk/index.asp

I imagine that other large employers may also have schemes offering similar corporate membership to their employees.
    • itsanne
    • By itsanne 19th Mar 17, 12:11 AM
    • 4,485 Posts
    • 10,337 Thanks
    itsanne
    English Heritage senior membership is £13 (£20 joint) in clubcard vouchers.
    . . .I did not speak out

Then they came for me
    And there was no one left
    To speak out for me..

Martin Niemoller
    • JulieM
    • By JulieM 19th Mar 17, 9:31 AM
    • 578 Posts
    • 696 Thanks
    JulieM
    Don't forget that there are other attractions that English Heritage gives discounts on, often 2 for 1 or 50% off, eg Warwick Castle. There's a list near the back of the handbook.
    • longforgotten
    • By longforgotten 19th Mar 17, 10:32 AM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 672 Thanks
    longforgotten
    Another wrinkle............my hubby and I have had joint membership for donkeys years but cancelled last year because we now live in Wales and joined CADW instead. When I phoned up to cancel the nice guy said if we wanted to renew once one of us was 60 ( that'll be within five years of leaving NT) to mention that we had previously been members and we would get cheaper membership

Should mention if you join CADW you get half price entry to English Heritage places for the first year, if you stay a second year with CADW you then get free entry to English Heritage places.
    Last edited by longforgotten; 19-03-2017 at 6:04 PM.
    • alanq
    • By alanq 19th Mar 17, 11:01 AM
    • 3,593 Posts
    • 2,295 Thanks
    alanq
    Heritage Open Days will be 7-10 September this year.

This annual event includes FREE admission to many places in England (outside London) including some owned by National Trust and English Heritage.

A similar event for London is Open House London which will be on 16 & 17 September this year.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Budgeting and Bank Accounts, Savings & Investments, Food Shopping and Over 50s MoneySaving boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • jennifernil
    • By jennifernil 20th Mar 17, 11:15 PM
    • 4,985 Posts
    • 2,065 Thanks
    jennifernil
    As we live in Scotland, we are NTS members, we do not have to pay for parking at English NT sites.
    • Debran
    • By Debran 26th Mar 17, 6:12 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    Debran
    Regarding NT, you don't pay for parking in England and Wales if you have National Trust for Scotland membership.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 28th Mar 17, 9:31 PM
    • 7,761 Posts
    • 4,596 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I left my NT membership lapse after finding out they allow fox hunts on their land.
    Originally posted by fatbeetle
    Same here; especially when they said they had asked the membership's opinion, but a large number of people posting on a website said they didn't know of anyone who was consulted.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 29th Mar 17, 5:39 PM
    • 2,955 Posts
    • 6,080 Thanks
    Murphybear
    You're right, and it seems rather mean (although to my mind the NT have always been pretty tight fisted).

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/news/senior-membership-prices
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    I agree. They don't advertise very much and we found out by accident. We do get our money's worth as have a number of NT properties within easy driving distance and the free parking is worth a lot
    • lislou
    • By lislou 8th Apr 17, 10:54 AM
    • 328 Posts
    • 5,763 Thanks
    lislou
    I don't want to be controversial but only to save money! If you join the New Zealand equivalent of National Trust it is far cheaper and also includes English Heritage.
    • malc_b
    • By malc_b 13th Apr 17, 9:45 AM
    • 962 Posts
    • 371 Thanks
    malc_b
    In the case of NTS parking is free at NT. Both NTS and NT have confirmed this to me in emails.

Price wise, all annual DD as this is cheapest, NTS adult is £50 pa, joint £90, Senior £38, Joint senior (only one needs be 60+) £63, vs NT adult is £64.80 pa (I believe less is if at same address as another NT, or at least it used to be, but can't find that on NT site), joint £108, senior £48.60, Joint senior (also only one needs be 60+) £80.40. However, NT senior is only if you have been NT member for 5 of last 10 yrs. If you haven't then joint senior NTS is £63 vs £108 for NT.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

727Posts Today

6,460Users online

Martin's Twitter