Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ptkloon
    • By ptkloon 24th Feb 17, 8:32 AM
    • 161Posts
    • 31Thanks
    ptkloon
    Change of mobile - keep contract or move?
    • 24th Feb 17, 8:32 AM
    Change of mobile - keep contract or move? 24th Feb 17 at 8:32 AM
    Hi, I currently have an old HTC phone which is on its last legs, instead of upgrading I kept the same phone and reduced my contract to £9.99 per month and it generally stays at that price per month or has a small increase, so maximum £12 per month for my usage. I get 250mb per month and 250 minutes and unlimited texts, the minutes are more than enough, I sometimes go use all of my internet usage.

My question is, do I buy a new phone and keep the same contract, or do I upgrade my existing contract to include a new phone, or do I cancel my contract and get a new deal including a phone? what has everyone else done? My main issue with the current phone is that the memory is always full meaning I am forever deleting photos etc

Thanks
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 24th Feb 17, 8:40 AM
    • 31,228 Posts
    • 36,921 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 24th Feb 17, 8:40 AM
    • 24th Feb 17, 8:40 AM
    I always buy my own phones now , look at the Moto range or the new Wileyfox phone

You pay for the phone over the life of the contract anyway

I'm sim only and have been for many years , currently using a moto G4

There are better sim only contracts out there for the money you pay , get a PAC code if you want to keep your number
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • bellaboo86
    • By bellaboo86 24th Feb 17, 8:45 AM
    • 251 Posts
    • 361 Thanks
    bellaboo86
    • 24th Feb 17, 8:45 AM
    • 24th Feb 17, 8:45 AM
    Can you afford to buy a phone outright? How much would you be willing to pay for a contact? I just used mobilephone checker before i upgraded and it was a really good site. Maybe worth a look to find a good deal.
    • ptkloon
    • By ptkloon 24th Feb 17, 8:54 AM
    • 161 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    ptkloon
    • 24th Feb 17, 8:54 AM
    • 24th Feb 17, 8:54 AM
    Can you afford to buy a phone outright? How much would you be willing to pay for a contact? I just used mobilephone checker before i upgraded and it was a really good site. Maybe worth a look to find a good deal.
    Originally posted by bellaboo86
    I'd be willing to pay up to £150 for a phone outright and £10 p/m, or up to £20 per month
    • bellaboo86
    • By bellaboo86 24th Feb 17, 9:33 AM
    • 251 Posts
    • 361 Thanks
    bellaboo86
    • 24th Feb 17, 9:33 AM
    • 24th Feb 17, 9:33 AM
    You can get sim only from £5 a month for 250 mins. 5000 texts and 1 GB of data. The price of the handset will depend on what you want it to do and how bothered you are about the latest handset. I think you just need to set aside a bit of time to check out the different websites. I used the site mentioned in my last post after seeing Martin recommend it on tv. There are other good suggestions on here as well.
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 24th Feb 17, 10:37 AM
    • 7,326 Posts
    • 2,246 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    • 24th Feb 17, 10:37 AM
    • 24th Feb 17, 10:37 AM
    You can get a cashback contract for £2 with a cheap phone and a better bundle. You are currently paying far too much, whatever else you do.
    • ptkloon
    • By ptkloon 24th Feb 17, 11:38 AM
    • 161 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    ptkloon
    • 24th Feb 17, 11:38 AM
    • 24th Feb 17, 11:38 AM
    You can get a cashback contract for £2 with a cheap phone and a better bundle. You are currently paying far too much, whatever else you do.
    Originally posted by mobilejunkie
    I had a feeling I was paying too much, I want a phone that does half decent pictures and has plenty meomry. Had a look at the xiaomi Redmi phone but a bit unsure of how well it would perform in the UK and if any issues arise there's no local support for it
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 24th Feb 17, 2:41 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 24th Feb 17, 2:41 PM
    • 24th Feb 17, 2:41 PM
    I have always been SIM only, I cannot understand why folks think they get a good deal with a "free phone" (or "cheap" one) as part of a 2 year contract. If nothing else you are stuck with your chosen network for a long time.

The networks make money out of selling you a phone on finance over 24 months.
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 24th Feb 17, 2:48 PM
    • 7,326 Posts
    • 2,246 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    • 24th Feb 17, 2:48 PM
    • 24th Feb 17, 2:48 PM
    Not always. I make a profit on all my contracts. But then I'm not fussy about which phones or bundles and stick to cashback deals. I never understand why the majority of people wouldn't since they beat all other options hands down (unless you want a huge bundle or the latest toy.
    • keith1950
    • By keith1950 24th Feb 17, 4:58 PM
    • 2,410 Posts
    • 1,065 Thanks
    keith1950
    ptkloon.....I know there are lots of different tariffs but for £12/month you should be getting at least ....
    Unlimited minutes.
    Unlimited texts.
    4gb data.
    • robin58
    • By robin58 25th Feb 17, 1:24 AM
    • 1,561 Posts
    • 1,459 Thanks
    robin58
    ptkloon.....I know there are lots of different tariffs but for £12/month you should be getting at least ....
    Unlimited minutes.
    Unlimited texts.
    4gb data.
    Originally posted by keith1950
    You can get all that for £10 from Plusnet on a 30 day rolling sim only contract at the moment via the Mse link at the top of this section.

Piggy backs via virtual network on EE which has very good coverage.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • sdduk
    • By sdduk 25th Feb 17, 1:17 PM
    • 1,022 Posts
    • 271 Thanks
    sdduk
    You can get all that for £10 from Plusnet on a 30 day rolling sim only contract at the moment via the Mse link at the top of this section.

Piggy backs via virtual network on EE which has very good coverage.
    Originally posted by robin58
    Just had a look for that deal couldn't see it anywhere £15 on Plunet website but still a good deal at that price.
    https://www.plus.net/mobile/plans/sim-only/

3 do that for £11 but a 12mth contract.
    http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Plans_for_phones
    Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody, therefore I am Perfect
    • keith1950
    • By keith1950 25th Feb 17, 3:23 PM
    • 2,410 Posts
    • 1,065 Thanks
    keith1950
    (You can get all that for £10 from Plusnet on a 30 day rolling sim only contract at the moment via the Mse link at the top of this section.

Piggy backs via virtual network on EE which has very good coverage.)

You can get ...
    5000 mins
    5000 texts
    12gb data for £12/month on Talkmobile if you can live with using a virtual network.

I currently get ...
    AYCE mins
    AYCE texts
    4gb data for £10/month on 3.
    I could probably have got it down to £9/month or slightly more data but after 30 minutes on the phone I'd had enough.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 25th Feb 17, 4:24 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    Just had a look for that deal couldn't see it anywhere £15 on Plunet website but still a good deal at that price.
    Originally posted by sdduk
    You have to go via the link at the top of this page, it's a special offer for MSE folk.
    • sdduk
    • By sdduk 25th Feb 17, 8:42 PM
    • 1,022 Posts
    • 271 Thanks
    sdduk
    (You can get all that for £10 from Plusnet on a 30 day rolling sim only contract at the moment via the Mse link at the top of this section.

Piggy backs via virtual network on EE which has very good coverage.)

You can get ...
    5000 mins
    5000 texts
    12gb data for £12/month on Talkmobile if you can live with using a virtual network.

I currently get ...
    AYCE mins
    AYCE texts
    4gb data for £10/month on 3.
    I could probably have got it down to £9/month or slightly more data but after 30 minutes on the phone I'd had enough.
    Originally posted by keith1950
    Just seen it at the top.
    I am with both 3 and Plusnet i have the 3 deal like you but for £9 had it since September.
    I also have a deal with Plusnet 3000 mins 5000 txt and 4gb data which is 3g not 4g for £1 a month i got it when i was with Life mobile which is now Plusnet.
    Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody, therefore I am Perfect
    • ptkloon
    • By ptkloon 12th Mar 17, 3:24 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    ptkloon
    Thanks for all the replies, I'll be changing my SIM very soon, now to find a decent phone for below £150. I have seen the xiaomi redmi 3 and 4 but am a bit nervous about buying a phone if I have no support fi there are any issues with it
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 12th Mar 17, 4:43 PM
    • 3,230 Posts
    • 1,637 Thanks
    ballyblack
    but am a bit nervous about buying a phone if I have no support fi there are any issues with it
    Then buy this Moto G4 for £149

https://www.tesco.com/direct/motorola-moto-g4-black-sim-free/152-7712.prd?skuId=152-7712
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,643Posts Today

9,602Users online

Martin's Twitter