Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Luke
    • By MSE Luke 23rd Feb 17, 5:14 PM
    • 218Posts
    • 54Thanks
    MSE Luke
    MSE News: New totally free way to get your Experian Credit Report
    • 23rd Feb 17, 5:14 PM
    MSE News: New totally free way to get your Experian Credit Report 23rd Feb 17 at 5:14 PM
    It's your financial CV. You need to see what it says about you. If wrong it can kill cheap mortgages, mobiles & more...
    Read the full story:
    'New totally free way to get your Experian Credit Report'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 23-02-2017 at 5:17 PM.
Page 2
    • RedDwarf82
    • By RedDwarf82 6th Mar 17, 9:54 AM
    • 124 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    RedDwarf82
    Experian have told me that I need to delete my current address on MSE, only leave it on there the first time I lived there. But does that not mean lying? As I do currently live there? If I delete the most recent one, then it looks like I live at my previous address, which I don't. Also I've been on the electoral roll there on the different times I've lived there, if I delete some of the times I've lived there, this won't match up any more will it? If this is a real problem at their end and not an MSE display issue, maybe this is actually why I've struggled to get credit in the past despite managing my finances well. FFS. I will just have to wait until I move house and hopefully the problem will disappear then. Another two month wait before I can change bank then!
    Originally posted by onthego
    Exactly! And this is the **standard** way Experian behaves. Instead of fixing their address matching algorithm they keep asking people to change the addresses they submit to them. Then when you do and you start seeing the "right" information they tell you the problem is fixed.
    The problem is NOT fixed. Now you see the right information... but when you tell to the lenders the truth they will still see the wrong information.

But since you can't see what the lenders see you can't prove this. So when you complain to the Ombudsman, the FCA or the Steering Committee On Reciprocity they ignore you supposing that Experian is saying the truth and the problem has been fixed.

IMHO this is even a case of misselling since they are selling Credit Expert as a tool to fix what the lenders see... but you can't use it for that purpose.
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 7th Mar 17, 9:47 AM
    • 604 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    MSE Dan L
    I tried to sign up for this but failed verification. If asked me for my account number starting and ending with the number zero, I have no account starting and ending with these numbers.
    I still can get an experian credit report though.
    Originally posted by MHOWARD
    Hi MHoward

The Credit Club verification questions are required to confirm your identity and are taken based on information in your credit report based on the information you provided (your name, date of birth, and address). For fraud protection reasons, Experian doesn’t share any detail about individual accounts with us.

When we launched Credit Club, we had a few similar queries to yours, but when we investigated with Experian, we found that the questioned accounts did actually appear on the individual's credit files.

If you’re certain that this account isn't linked to your credit history in any way, then it might be worth going through your full Experian report and checking that there isn't anything showing there which shouldn't

I do understand that this may be a little frustrating, but these checks are in place to prevent fraudulent access to your personal details so it isn’t something we can override.
    • MHOWARD
    • By MHOWARD 7th Mar 17, 10:39 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    MHOWARD
    Hi MHoward

The Credit Club verification questions are required to confirm your identity and are taken based on information in your credit report based on the information you provided (your name, date of birth, and address). For fraud protection reasons, Experian doesn’t share any detail about individual accounts with us.

When we launched Credit Club, we had a few similar queries to yours, but when we investigated with Experian, we found that the questioned accounts did actually appear on the individual's credit files.

If you’re certain that this account isn't linked to your credit history in any way, then it might be worth going through your full Experian report and checking that there isn't anything showing there which shouldn't

I do understand that this may be a little frustrating, but these checks are in place to prevent fraudulent access to your personal details so it isn’t something we can override.
    Originally posted by MSE Dan L
    Hi, thanks for the response but you are wrong on this occasion. I have three accounts, one basic and two current and not one starts with a zero and ends with a zero. I have access to my full experian report and there certainly are not any accounts that I do not know about on there.
    There has to be something wrong as if I have access to my experian report then obviously experian can verify me.
    • SteveR
    • By SteveR 8th Mar 17, 3:53 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    SteveR
    My Wife and I both Joined Credit Club today and as we have joint investment income just put half each. But she got a very low affordability score when mine was excellent, is there a way of checking the figures we entered on her application.
    Also it says that our Electoral role entry is not linked with our address which is probably because the Electoral Role uses a different address database to the Post Office one. How do we correct this.
    If you lend someone £20 and never see that person again.
    It was probably worth it.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 8th Mar 17, 6:24 PM
    • 16,468 Posts
    • 10,642 Thanks
    molerat
    The electoral role address should be the same as the PO file. Contact your local ERO to get it changed.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • twiglet98
    • By twiglet98 8th Mar 17, 11:04 PM
    • 772 Posts
    • 3,746 Thanks
    twiglet98
    It can't find me either, despite over 20 years at this address.

My address seems to have many variations. The postcode covers only this and two other properties (very rural). Drop-down options to select the property show it correctly but it morphs into a different format with MSE Eligibility Checker, MSE Credit Club, and Noddle.

Correct format is like this:
    3 Red Cottage
    Yellow Road
    Bluevillage
    Greentown
    Greenshire
    GR1 !GR

However MSE Eligibility Checker finds the postcode, showing the correct format in the drop-down menu, but changes it to:
    Red Cottage
    etc

MSE Credit Club changes it to:
    3, Red Cottage (note the comma)

Noddle changes it to:
    Red Cottage
    3 Yellow Road
    Greentown
    and omits the village name.

The electoral register has the correct address as per all the drop-down menus that search on the postcode. Noddle scores me 5/5 but Experian can't find me.

Can anyone explain the relevance of a title? Mr is just that - any male (for the sake of ease let's not explore gender identity here). My longest-standing credit card still has me as Mrs, my individual bank accounts and most recent credit card are Ms, my old joint account is Mrs. How on earth can the powers that be make judgement on the basis of this antiquated and biased system of title?
    Last edited by twiglet98; 10-03-2017 at 10:03 AM. Reason: sp
    • twiglet98
    • By twiglet98 10th Mar 17, 10:01 AM
    • 772 Posts
    • 3,746 Thanks
    twiglet98
    Following on from the above, I've noticed the Council Tax bill, the Electoral Roll reminder, and a photocopied extract of the house deeds all refer to it as 3 Red Cottages although the old name sign outside the houses says Cottage. Are those drop-down postcode menus administered by the Post Office? I guess the 's' at the end is enough to reject the address, but how can I get around it, when entering the address manually can't override the default address matching the postcode search?

Is the Ms/Mrs title relevant in terms of Experian being able to find that I really do exist?
    • Stangi
    • By Stangi 10th Mar 17, 1:36 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Stangi
    Just have to say that as a pensioner with a fair credit report but 'poor' affordability (not sure how Exp worked that out) I used MSE thingies to find out the most likely loans to be available to me and am very pleased to have secured a loan for some home improvements, low interest rate (though not the very lowest) with repayments quite affordable. My works and state pensions I guess are not likely to alter much. It's surprising how many of the lenders listed dont even consider pensioners though! Anyway thank you MSE for helping me keep my hard search to the minimum with a good result.
    • RedDwarf82
    • By RedDwarf82 10th Mar 17, 1:50 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    RedDwarf82
    The electoral role address should be the same as the PO file. Contact your local ERO to get it changed.
    Originally posted by molerat
    "should" because it's weird otherwise, or "should" because there is some law/regulation/whatever that says so?
    • LeeThomas79
    • By LeeThomas79 10th Mar 17, 4:37 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    LeeThomas79
    Is anyone else getting this error when click on the tab "New! Credit report":

Credit report failed
    There seems to be a problem getting your Experian Credit Report. Please try again later.
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 11th Mar 17, 7:27 AM
    • 3,192 Posts
    • 1,691 Thanks
    MABLE
    I have also registered with Experian for my free score and should have been updated yesterday. Today it shows -1 day and not changed to 10 Feb.

I wander if Experian are experiencing problems at the moment based on the fact LeeThomas79 could not get his report.

Just saying people!
    • Ian 007
    • By Ian 007 12th Mar 17, 11:09 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Ian 007
    The problem I have is after filling in the boxes accurately I fail to get into Experian from mse! And I pay credit card in full every month. Follows all mse advice but nothing works, yesterday I just cleared £1500 off card! ????
    • twiglet98
    • By twiglet98 12th Mar 17, 9:27 PM
    • 772 Posts
    • 3,746 Thanks
    twiglet98
    I thought the problem was that my address doesn't appear in a consistent format, as described earlier, but it's sadly reassuring that a lot of people are having trouble.
    • redux
    • By redux 13th Mar 17, 10:01 AM
    • 16,717 Posts
    • 20,795 Thanks
    redux
    I received an email in the early hours of this morning to say my account had been updated.

When I look at the credit report there, it is dated 13/02, and will next be updated 15/03.

Looking again and more closely at the email, most of it is about getting the credit report, but the title just says my score has been updated.

The score is the same, possibly because the report isn't yet updated, or possibly because it might be the same from month to month anyway.

Maybe there is a way for MSE to get these two quantities in phase with their updates, or more likely it isn't that important anyway.

Either way, maybe some of the wording in the email could be toned down a bit, for instance words like vital and NOW, to avoid making people too manic to get the latest report update, especially if the info actually isn't up to date (e.g. 8th Jan right now) when the update message is sent.
    Last edited by redux; 13-03-2017 at 10:10 AM.
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 13th Mar 17, 12:36 PM
    • 604 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    MSE Dan L
    Is anyone else getting this error when click on the tab "New! Credit report":

Credit report failed
    There seems to be a problem getting your Experian Credit Report. Please try again later.
    Originally posted by LeeThomas79
    Hi LeeThomas79

Thanks for flagging. Our techies are working with Experian to understand a few of these issues. They're making good progress in understanding some of the issues and are working hard to understand the options to fix and provide your report.

I hope this helps.
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 13th Mar 17, 12:41 PM
    • 604 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    MSE Dan L
    I received an email in the early hours of this morning to say my account had been updated.

When I look at the credit report there, it is dated 13/02, and will next be updated 15/03.

Looking again and more closely at the email, most of it is about getting the credit report, but the title just says my score has been updated.

The score is the same, possibly because the report isn't yet updated, or possibly because it might be the same from month to month anyway.

Maybe there is a way for MSE to get these two quantities in phase with their updates, or more likely it isn't that important anyway.

Either way, maybe some of the wording in the email could be toned down a bit, for instance words like vital and NOW, to avoid making people too manic to get the latest report update, especially if the info actually isn't up to date (e.g. 8th Jan right now) when the update message is sent.
    Originally posted by redux
    Hi Redux

Thanks for your feedback. The score and your report updates aren't actually entirely synced in Credit Club.

Score - updates 30 days from when you registered.
    Report - updates a max of every 30 days from when you first request it.

So your score could update around the 15th each month. But if you wait until the 25th to first request your report, when your score updates next month, your latest report wouldn't be due for a further 10ish days. But if you don't request it that month at all, and then login the following month around the 15th, you'd then be able to run your report as well as see your updated score.

I've shared your other comments with MSE's editorial team who write those emails.

Hope this helps.
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 13th Mar 17, 12:45 PM
    • 604 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    MSE Dan L
    I have also registered with Experian for my free score and should have been updated yesterday. Today it shows -1 day and not changed to 10 Feb.

I wander if Experian are experiencing problems at the moment based on the fact LeeThomas79 could not get his report.

Just saying people!
    Originally posted by MABLE
    Hi Mable

Thanks for your note. This could potentially be linked to LeeThomas79's post, or alternatively might be a different issue.

Whenever the score update doesn't work, the techies will get an alert to look into it. There are a range of reasons why this could happen from us no longer finding your account with Experian, to downtime on our systems.

There's nothing you need to do just now, hopefully the techies will be able to resolve this and retry loading your score.
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 13th Mar 17, 12:47 PM
    • 604 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    MSE Dan L
    The problem I have is after filling in the boxes accurately I fail to get into Experian from mse! And I pay credit card in full every month. Follows all mse advice but nothing works, yesterday I just cleared £1500 off card! ????
    Originally posted by Ian 007
    Hi Ian 007

I agree this is a little frustrating. We find that around 15%ish of people aren't able to get through.

We're working hard with Experian to look at how we can help more people register successfully, but at the same time ensure that we're not increasing the risk of fraudulent access to personal data.
    • tomc22
    • By tomc22 15th Mar 17, 12:21 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    tomc22
    Hi,

I also seem to be one of those 15%. I know my details to be correct because they are the same details I used when I paid Experian £2 a few months ago for a report... so it's definitely what they have on record.

I'm wondering if MSE's address book is correct. The only option I have on MSE for choosing my Bristol address ends "...Bristol, Avon, Postcode", yet Experian has my address as "...Bristol, Postcode".

I'm also wondering if such minor mismatches lead to 1000s of people being refused loans or credit! It seems like this system which can dictate people's lives is totally fraught with incompetencies.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 15th Mar 17, 8:38 PM
    • 16,468 Posts
    • 10,642 Thanks
    molerat
    Getting my score and report all OK.

Two comments

1. Is it possible to get the monthly score and monthly report updated on the same date ?

2. The formatting/layout of the report is poor. No dates shown against the monthly account detail boxes so just a load of numbers and ticks with no reference to date. There are no headings on the credit amounts, just rows of numbers. It is fairly obvious what they mean to me but could confuse some.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

196Posts Today

2,287Users online

Martin's Twitter