Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • oldtractor
    • By oldtractor 23rd Feb 17, 12:14 PM
    • 2,221Posts
    • 14,980Thanks
    oldtractor
    The Ten a Day challenge, join me
    • 23rd Feb 17, 12:14 PM
    The Ten a Day challenge, join me 23rd Feb 17 at 12:14 PM
    So 10 a day better than 5 a day. Who is going to join me in the challenge? Sharing recipes meal ideas and importantly money saving?

Progress today
    Brksfst a boiled egg and an apple =1
    Lunch bowl of homemade mix veg and lentil soup, turkey salad and an orange =4
    Dinner= grapefruit starter =1
    cauliflower cheese with a little bacon,peas, sweetpotato and some sweetcorn =4

snack = any fruit =1
Page 8
    • Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 9th Mar 17, 1:37 PM
    • 686 Posts
    • 2,574 Thanks
    Fruittea
    Thanks Old tractor. I eat a lot of mushroomy things- stroganoff is nice too.
    Here's the mushroom ragu recipe just in case you're tempted. It also goes well with brown rice. And any mushrooms would do.

 1 tbsp olive oil

 2 onions, finely diced

 3 garlic cloves, crushed

 2 celery stalks, finely diced

 400g chestnut mushrooms

 400g forester mushrooms

 100ml (3 1/2fl oz) dry sherry

 small bunch of thyme

 1 tbsp tomato purée

 200ml (7fl oz) vegetable stock

2 tbsp butter

Soften the onions, garlic and celery in a little oil. When the onions have become translucent, turn up the heat and add the mushrooms and fry until they are golden. Add the sherry, scraping up any sediment at the bottom of the saucepan. Stir until the sherry has nearly cooked off, then add the remaining ingredients. Cook for 30 mins until the mushrooms have softened entirely and the sauce is thick.

Lunch was avocado with prawns and a large mixed salad 4
    Berry jelly 2
    Apple for this afternoon 1
    Dinner will be mushroom rissoles with roast potatoes, cabbage, carrots and some of last nights ragu as a sauce - 3.
    So that's around 11 for me.

"Save 12k in 2017" - 9970.12 Number 71
    May Grocery Challenge 0.00/150.00
    The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017

No Clutter To Be Seen 476/2017
    • oldtractor
    • By oldtractor 9th Mar 17, 2:19 PM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 14,980 Thanks
    oldtractor
    Thanks Fruitea will be having this tonight ;-)
    Trying for 10 a day
    • Hollyberry
    • By Hollyberry 9th Mar 17, 7:43 PM
    • 823 Posts
    • 4,540 Thanks
    Hollyberry
    Today was pretty good.

Breakfast: redcurrants, blackcurrants, blackberries, raspberries, banana with museli and yoghurt
    Lunch: Chicken with roast parsnips, carrots, red peppers, and a stir fry of broccoli with chili and lemon juice
    Dinner: Soup with potato, onion, carrot, parsley, mushrooms, watercress and lemon

I reckon that's a ten.
    • Winchelsea
    • By Winchelsea 9th Mar 17, 7:54 PM
    • 689 Posts
    • 9,267 Thanks
    Winchelsea
    Just read that Telegraph article. Yes, interesting.
    But what's this about canned and frozen fruits increasing your risk of dying by 17% ?
    IS that what I read, or was it a misread?

Managed nine today. Still time for a tenth - maybe I'll crunch some celery later!

Breakfast: corn flakes, raisins, apple.
    Lunch: peanut butter and banana sandwich with an extra handful of peanuts, plus an orange.
    Tea: Mrs McCartney veggie sausages, sweet corn, peas, carrots, onions. Rice pudding and tinned peach slices.

Not so good, in that five are fruits. Oh well, onwards and upwards!
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
    • Winchelsea
    • By Winchelsea 9th Mar 17, 8:30 PM
    • 689 Posts
    • 9,267 Thanks
    Winchelsea
    Forgot - I also had a small bowl of sliced beetroot as a snack this afternoon - the sort that comes in a jar in vinegar - yum! So I have made it to ten!
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
    • Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 10th Mar 17, 4:00 PM
    • 686 Posts
    • 2,574 Thanks
    Fruittea
    Grapefruit and tomatoes and eggs for breakfast -2
    Cauliflower cheese and green beans - 2
    Berry jelly - 2
    Kiwi fruit snack - 1
    Dinner will be Giant prawns cooked with tomatoes and onions with saute potatoes and broccoli - 3
    That's about 10 for today
    Can't remember if orange juice counts as I had a glass of the concentrate kind.
    Sounds like my kind of snack Winchelsea - I often have a few gherkins as I have quite a sour tooth.
    The next couple of day should be pretty veg full to - so I'm not doing to bad.

• oldtractor
    • By oldtractor 10th Mar 17, 5:56 PM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 14,980 Thanks
    oldtractor
    breakfast was a plum followed by a mushroom and yellow pepper omelette with tomatoes. lunch was leek and potato soup. snack was a pear. not sure about dinner i'm not really hungry. maybe beans on toast and some more fruit later.
    I make that 5 or 6 portions. not hungry today though.
    Trying for 10 a day
    • caronc
    • By caronc 10th Mar 17, 6:04 PM
    • 1,541 Posts
    • 8,603 Thanks
    caronc
    Hidden Veg
    For years I've added loads of veg to meat sauce for lasagne mainly as a way to stretch the mince and get extra veg in to my kids when they were small. Last night I was making a big pan of ragu and it struck me how much veg there actually was in it: 3 onions (3), 3 carrots (3), 4 big stalks of celery (2), 2 massive courgettes (at least 4), 300g of mushrooms(3.5), 500ml passatta (3 based on a portion being 150mls) from home grown tomatoes and three 400g tins of tomatoes(6). So a good 20+ portions of veg and reasonable range as well. I usually add a couple of diced sweet peppers but didn't this time as my friend isn't keen on them. Cooked down this will make an 8 portion lasagne and a couple of portions of ragu for the freezer so an easy 2 portions at least of veg per serving. I'm not saying lasagne is the healthiest option - far from it but I was surprised how much it will add to my daily F&V intake
    Feb GC 122/100, Mar GC 131/150, April GC 150/160, May 150/150
    • Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 11th Mar 17, 10:32 AM
    • 686 Posts
    • 2,574 Thanks
    Fruittea
    I do a similar lasange Caronc and I add red lentils and minced quorn. Made a big pot yesterday in the slow cooker and sometimes when I'm layering it up I add a layer of sliced mushrooms or squash instead of the pasta. It makes a really tasty dish. I'll be having that tonight with green beans. I recon it's about 5 veggie portions. And always handy to portions made up in the freezer.
    Today's breakfast was eggs and it will be veggie soup for lunch. I'll have a couple of pieces of fruit so will no doubt make the 10 today.

• Hollyberry
    • By Hollyberry 11th Mar 17, 10:33 AM
    • 823 Posts
    • 4,540 Thanks
    Hollyberry
    Yesterday was again redcurrants, blackcurrants, raspberries and blackberries with oats and soy yoghurt.
    Veggie platter for lunch with a mixed salad, stuffed vine leaves, hummus, carrots, olives and gherkins. And a banana.
    Dinner was mackerel with warm potato salad, spring onions, beetroot, celery.

So I think that will make up a ten.

Today started with blackberries and banana with soy yoghurt and oats. Not entirely sure what will be for lunch, but I'm thinking something along the lines of a frittata with spinach, mushrooms and cheese.
    Dinner will be sausage bake with peppers, onions, apple, sweetcorn.
    So I need to ferret in the fridge for a couple of extras. I know I have parsnips. Maybe some olives to go with lunch too.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Mar 17, 10:47 AM
    • 1,541 Posts
    • 8,603 Thanks
    caronc
    I do a similar lasange Caronc and I add red lentils and minced quorn. Made a big pot yesterday in the slow cooker and sometimes when I'm layering it up I add a layer of sliced mushrooms or squash instead of the pasta. It makes a really tasty dish. I'll be having that tonight with green beans. I recon it's about 5 veggie portions. And always handy to portions made up in the freezer.
    Today's breakfast was eggs and it will be veggie soup for lunch. I'll have a couple of pieces of fruit so will no doubt make the 10 today.
    Originally posted by Fruittea
    I often add lentils to mince dishes as well - didn't this time as guests coming. I also like leeks used instead of the pasta but have never thought of using mushrooms or squah- thanks for the idea
    Feb GC 122/100, Mar GC 131/150, April GC 150/160, May 150/150
    • Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 13th Mar 17, 8:57 AM
    • 686 Posts
    • 2,574 Thanks
    Fruittea
    Yesterday wasn't too bad:
    Breakfast grapefruit, kippers - well it was Sunday. 1
    Lunch vegetable soup 3
    Berry Jelly 2
    Dinner Courgette bake, spinach and broccoli mornay with roast potatoes about 4
    A handful of dried prunes.
    So I think I got my 10.
    Today
    For breakfast spinach and broccoli filling in an omelette with grilled tomatoes.2
    Lunch probably be a mixed salad with beetroot hummus 4
    Not sure about dinner I have some fennel - so no doubt I'll have that braised with some lentils and tomatoes. 3
    Kiwi fruit and berry jelly are desserts
    That would make around 11.

• oldtractor
    • By oldtractor 13th Mar 17, 9:07 AM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 14,980 Thanks
    oldtractor
    your menus are inspiring Fruittea
    Trying for 10 a day
    • Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 13th Mar 17, 3:03 PM
    • 686 Posts
    • 2,574 Thanks
    Fruittea
    Thank you Oldtractor. I do quite a bit of meal planning as I'm also on the Grocery challenge. So it makes me think about what I have in the freezer and cupboards and what I need to buy.
    I usually plan meals for a fortnight in advance keeping a table that looks something like this only with fourteen line.

Breakfast Lunch Dinner Must Use Shopping
    Eggs Soup Prawns Fennel Cheese

I then highlight the meals I use and make sure I get a variety of things and always use things from the must use column first.
    I'm also very lucky and I have an allotment and grow lots of fruit and veg and still have kilos of berries and veg in the freezer. Around December I usually order a weekly veg box and that keeps me ticking over and they often throw in some random veg like khol rabi/fennel - so it keeps me on my toes!

• Winchelsea
    • By Winchelsea 13th Mar 17, 8:13 PM
    • 689 Posts
    • 9,267 Thanks
    Winchelsea
    Still keeping up quite well. Getting 10 most days, occasionally only 8 or 9, but definitely on a different level since 5 went out and 10 came in, IYKWIM.

To be honest I feel too lazy to set out everything I ate today, but it included prunes, apple, baked beans, banana, pear, mixed swede and carrot, green beans, butternut squash, onion and spring greens.
    (10 I think.)
    • oldtractor
    • By oldtractor 13th Mar 17, 9:02 PM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 14,980 Thanks
    oldtractor
    Wincelsea you are definitely right about the better than 5 a day getting up to 8 or 9 is great :-)
    Trying for 10 a day
    • Pop Up Pirate
    • By Pop Up Pirate 14th Mar 17, 7:24 AM
    • 770 Posts
    • 1,795 Thanks
    Pop Up Pirate
    Just read that Telegraph article. Yes, interesting.
    But what's this about canned and frozen fruits increasing your risk of dying by 17% ?
    IS that what I read, or was it a misread?

Managed nine today. Still time for a tenth - maybe I'll crunch some celery later!

Breakfast: corn flakes, raisins, apple.
    Lunch: peanut butter and banana sandwich with an extra handful of peanuts, plus an orange.
    Tea: Mrs McCartney veggie sausages, sweet corn, peas, carrots, onions. Rice pudding and tinned peach slices.

Not so good, in that five are fruits. Oh well, onwards and upwards!
    Originally posted by Winchelsea
    A lot of tins are made of aluminium now and it reacts with foods and oxidises which then leaches into foods. This is especially problematic with acidic foods such as tomatoes, any vegetables with citric acid and sodas. So to prevent that problem, tins are often lined with epoxy resins.
    Bisphenol A (BPA) is used to make this coating and BPA is toxic to humans. Although it has been in plastics for a long time, the toxins are a greater problem when in tin cans. They correct one problem with another one.

BPA can mimics estrogen, has led to early puberty in girls, has been linked to breast cancer and is also an endocrine disruptor along with many other health problems.

The effects of both the aluminium leaching and BPA poisoning can be reduced (not eliminated) if fermented or probiotics are taken at the same time.
    So drink a glass of kefir when eating tinned tomatoes, for example.

BPA is not the only toxicity in tinned foods.

This link explains a bit about it. The title is the chemical industries take on it.
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/03/25/health-risks-bpa.aspx
    • Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 14th Mar 17, 8:56 AM
    • 686 Posts
    • 2,574 Thanks
    Fruittea
    Well that frightened the life out of me Pop up PirateI eat a huge amount of tinned tomatoes. When I have gluts on the allotment I usually bottle or freeze but through the winter I often buy tinned food.
    Sounds as thought you're doing great Winchelsea.
    I don't have power today due to some tree work - so will be relying on cold food. More of the beetroot hummus for lunch with salad and I'll probably have mushroom strogonoff for dinner. The hummus looks startling but tastes delicious - I can recommend it to hummus fans.
    Keep munching everyone.

• oldtractor
    • By oldtractor 14th Mar 17, 7:01 PM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 14,980 Thanks
    oldtractor
    Just watched the hairy bikers comfort food prog. lentil and veg soup turkey burgers with leeks avocado and other salad and poached pear. looked delicious and lots of veg. Also sweetpotaoes baked served with a black bean and tomato filling. yummy.
    Last edited by oldtractor; 14-03-2017 at 7:07 PM.
    Trying for 10 a day
    • Winchelsea
    • By Winchelsea 14th Mar 17, 7:23 PM
    • 689 Posts
    • 9,267 Thanks
    Winchelsea
    Thanks for the article pop up pirate, Scary! And I suppose frozen stuff is affected by the plastic bags. hmmmm.......
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,675Posts Today

6,384Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin