Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • treliac
    • By treliac 22nd Feb 17, 2:00 PM
    • 4,319Posts
    • 13,944Thanks
    treliac
    Experian problem
    • 22nd Feb 17, 2:00 PM
    Experian problem 22nd Feb 17 at 2:00 PM
    My DD, who has a good job and unblemished financial record plus a history of renting a room in an HMO - she is on the electoral roll and her current landlord of three years has described her as an 'outstanding tenant' - has failed a credit reference check for a new rental.

Experian have confirmed they made a number of errors in her credit check and have made amendments to her report, which now gives her a high score. However the company who processes credit scores for the letting agent still fails her. They have told her to take her complaint up with Experian. Experian refer her back to this referencing agency. Neither will accept responsibility or tell her why. She has her Experian report, there are no negatives and there is no reason to explain why this is happening.

She now stands to lose the flat she had been planning to move into and the money she has already paid for these checks to be done. What can she do next?
Page 1
    • ellison007
    • By ellison007 22nd Feb 17, 2:28 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    ellison007
    • 22nd Feb 17, 2:28 PM
    • 22nd Feb 17, 2:28 PM
    Try the media, contact the guy who runs this website - radio 4 moneybox or radio 5 live? desperate times call for desperate measures...
    • Arleen
    • By Arleen 22nd Feb 17, 2:42 PM
    • 836 Posts
    • 608 Thanks
    Arleen
    • 22nd Feb 17, 2:42 PM
    • 22nd Feb 17, 2:42 PM
    They simply don't want to rent out to her, move on and rent somewhere else. There doesn't need to be anything adversary on the file for them to do so, and dumping it on "credit report" is a convenient black hole rather than giving out actual reasons.

Although I am not so sure that she isn't entitled to get the checks money back. Check out the agreement she signed in what conditions are they non-refundable.
    • treliac
    • By treliac 22nd Feb 17, 2:56 PM
    • 4,319 Posts
    • 13,944 Thanks
    treliac
    • 22nd Feb 17, 2:56 PM
    • 22nd Feb 17, 2:56 PM
    Thank you for your replies. The lettings agency have seen a screenshot of her amended report and are trying to be helpful, giving her time to sort this out and saying the flat is still ok. They even did the second credit check at their own expense. This makes it so frustrating.

Thank you ellison. She will take it further. She is not one to give up easily!

Worth mentioning maybe, several people looked at the flat and she met the owner, who chose her in preference to the others in the first place!
    • RedDwarf82
    • By RedDwarf82 22nd Feb 17, 3:18 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    RedDwarf82
    • 22nd Feb 17, 3:18 PM
    • 22nd Feb 17, 3:18 PM
    AFAIK letting agencies can't access the Experian credit report. I don't think their "Credit Checks" are nothing more than calling your employer to confirm you work there.

The Credit Agencies work under the Principles of Reciprocity (http://www.scoronline.co.uk/principles). Since letting agencies don't share information about you I can't see how they could get information either.

Can you see any search in the MSE Credit Club report?
    • treliac
    • By treliac 22nd Feb 17, 3:33 PM
    • 4,319 Posts
    • 13,944 Thanks
    treliac
    • 22nd Feb 17, 3:33 PM
    • 22nd Feb 17, 3:33 PM
    Thank you RedDwarf. As I tried to explain there is another, intermediary company, a referencing agency I think called Clearview, who have provided the information to the lettings agency. They use Experian and both Clearview and Experian have directed her to the other for more information. Clearview won't tell her anything. She has evidence now from Experian that she has a very good score. But has not been able to get any further.

The lettings agency appear to be on her side..... at the moment. They say they have never experienced anything like this before!

I will pass on all this information to her this evening. In the meantime, if anyone has any more ideas, I will be very grateful. It is scary how these companies can damage someone's life without revealing the issue and apparently free of consequences to themselves.

P.S. Clearview is not to be confused with ClearScore. ClearScore is another credit scoring company she has checked with and they give her a high score, but this Clearview uses Experian.
    • takman
    • By takman 22nd Feb 17, 5:07 PM
    • 2,272 Posts
    • 1,890 Thanks
    takman
    • 22nd Feb 17, 5:07 PM
    • 22nd Feb 17, 5:07 PM
    Thank you RedDwarf. As I tried to explain there is another, intermediary company, a referencing agency I think called Clearview, who have provided the information to the lettings agency. They use Experian and both Clearview and Experian have directed her to the other for more information. Clearview won't tell her anything. She has evidence now from Experian that she has a very good score. But has not been able to get any further.

The lettings agency appear to be on her side..... at the moment. They say they have never experienced anything like this before!

I will pass on all this information to her this evening. In the meantime, if anyone has any more ideas, I will be very grateful. It is scary how these companies can damage someone's life without revealing the issue and apparently free of consequences to themselves.

P.S. Clearview is not to be confused with ClearScore. ClearScore is another credit scoring company she has checked with and they give her a high score, but this Clearview uses Experian.
    Originally posted by treliac

What information do Clearview provide to the letting agents?. The score provided by Experian is irrelevant because Clearview will use their own calculations.

Personally i would be speaking to the Lettings Agency and ask them exactly what information they are receiving from Clearview that they don't like the look of. If they are on her side then why won't they accept a copy of her credit report and cut out the third party.
    • RedDwarf82
    • By RedDwarf82 23rd Feb 17, 10:07 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    RedDwarf82
    • 23rd Feb 17, 10:07 PM
    • 23rd Feb 17, 10:07 PM
    What Experian offers seems to be this -> http://www.experian.co.uk/background-checking/tenant-screening.html

So they either have an Instant Report like this http://www.experian.co.uk/assets/background-checking/sample-reports/tenant-verifier-instant-report.pdf or a Comprehensive Report like this http://www.experian.co.uk/assets/background-checking/sample-reports/tenant-verifier-comprehensive-report.pdf

Notice that any private landlord can get the comprehensive report for £30 VAT included. And the letting agency could do itself without ClearView in the middle.

Tell them to show you the report and what's they are not happy with. Worse case scenario, offer to pay the landlord the £30 (I guess they have already charged you way more).
    • treliac
    • By treliac 24th Feb 17, 6:11 PM
    • 4,319 Posts
    • 13,944 Thanks
    treliac
    • 24th Feb 17, 6:11 PM
    • 24th Feb 17, 6:11 PM
    Thank you for your help RedDwarf. She has spoken to Clearview and they say they only get a recommendation from Experian and not a detailed report. So she is now getting back to Experian. Being pushed to and fro again.

She will not lose the flat as she is planning to move in with her boyfriend and he is approved to take the tenancy by himself if necessary. But she is very frustrated and needs to know what is going on for her own future information at least.

With her income, savings, money management and track record as a tenant I don't understand how anyone could get approved if she cannot!
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 24th Feb 17, 6:18 PM
    • 29,340 Posts
    • 18,551 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Her score albeit a good one wont get her accepted, what matters is whats on her credit history.

Whats exactly on her credit file ?
    Je Suis Charlie
    • RedDwarf82
    • By RedDwarf82 25th Feb 17, 2:38 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    RedDwarf82
    She has spoken to Clearview and they say they only get a recommendation from Experian
    The links I shared don't include a lot more than a recommendation, but there is a bit more.

I am going to argue Clearview is *obviously* lying there. Experian offers only one Tenant Screening service, and is the one I pointed to. If you need to hurt them you can show to the letting agency how they lie (and explain to them they can use Experian directly, probably cheaper), so they lose one client.
    Last edited by RedDwarf82; 25-02-2017 at 2:41 PM.
    • treliac
    • By treliac 25th Feb 17, 9:07 PM
    • 4,319 Posts
    • 13,944 Thanks
    treliac
    The links I shared don't include a lot more than a recommendation, but there is a bit more.

I am going to argue Clearview is *obviously* lying there. Experian offers only one Tenant Screening service, and is the one I pointed to. If you need to hurt them you can show to the letting agency how they lie (and explain to them they can use Experian directly, probably cheaper), so they lose one client.
    Originally posted by RedDwarf82
    You may well be right. She is to contact Experian's tenancy checking team on Monday. As far as her credit check goes, they say there is no reason not to approve her. They have apparently held a wrong door number for her as well. So the mystery continues. But thanks again to you and everyone who is helping with information and suggestions.
    • treliac
    • By treliac 20th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    • 4,319 Posts
    • 13,944 Thanks
    treliac
    Clearview problem
    Thanks to everyone who has given their advice previously.

I have renamed my issue as the problem has now been clearly identified as being with Clearview.

DD has pushed them for a reason for giving her a low risk score after Experian confirmed that she has a good credit record and no problems as far as they are concerned.

However Clearview have finally informed that the problem was due to where she was previously living. (They have moved now with tenancy in boyfriend's name).

Apparently, she was declined as her previous rental was in an area, with presumably a high level of poor debt management, which impacted on her risk score.

Since she has an impeccable record personally, this must surely be wrong and should be challenged as it will (again presumably) affect her for some time.

Any thoughts and advice on how to take it further would be appreciated.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 20th Mar 17, 1:49 PM
    • 29,340 Posts
    • 18,551 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Who told you she was declined presumably due to the high level of debt management ?

I take it you mean Clearscore and not clearview.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • treliac
    • By treliac 21st Mar 17, 1:11 PM
    • 4,319 Posts
    • 13,944 Thanks
    treliac
    Who told you she was declined presumably due to the high level of debt management ?

I take it you mean Clearscore and not clearview.
    Originally posted by DCFC79

No, Clearview is correct. It is a tenancy referencing agency used by the lettings company. They take Experian's credit report and look at other factors then advise the lettings company on the level of risk attached to giving someone a tenancy.

DD's credit report is totally fine but Clearview advised against her. After asking them for their complaints procedure she was eventually informed that she was declined for reasons relating to the area she was living in.... presumably either neighbours or perhaps previous tenants. She has been living in an HMO. Please see the whole thread for details.

My question is.... is it legal / in order to assess her risk according to other people who have no financial connection to her?
    • takman
    • By takman 21st Mar 17, 1:18 PM
    • 2,272 Posts
    • 1,890 Thanks
    takman
    No, Clearview is correct. It is a tenancy referencing agency used by the lettings company. They take Experian's credit report and look at other factors then advise the lettings company on the level of risk attached to giving someone a tenancy.

DD's credit report is totally fine but Clearview advised against her. After asking them for their complaints procedure she was eventually informed that she was declined for reasons relating to the area she was living in.... presumably either neighbours or perhaps previous tenants. She has been living in an HMO. Please see the whole thread for details.

My question is.... is it legal / in order to assess her risk according to other people who have no financial connection to her?

No it's not illegal a company can assess risk based on any non-discriminatory information that they choose.

But what are the letting's agency saying about this? They are the one's who make the final decision in whether or not to offer someone a tenancy, they just use clearview to help them.

So if they are still "on her side" then ask them if they will still give her the tenancy now they know the reason that Clearview "failed" her for.
    • treliac
    • By treliac 21st Mar 17, 1:31 PM
    • 4,319 Posts
    • 13,944 Thanks
    treliac
    Thanks takman.

It appears that it is discriminatory as it is based on information that does not relate to her personal circumstances / credit history and report. And her proven excellent money management.

The lettings company is a big national one and branch staff seem bound by their rules and regulations. Whilst being sympathetic, they say they have to accept Clearview's recommendation.

It seems that she has no other recourse but to submit a complaint and take it up to the Financial Ombudsman if Clearview won't change their risk profile.

It would be useful to know her likely standing on this but she may have to find out by following due process.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

178Posts Today

1,561Users online

Martin's Twitter