Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cc120
    • By cc120 22nd Feb 17, 1:47 PM
    • 97Posts
    • 11Thanks
    cc120
    Probate - Can rent be claimed from resident beneficiary living in house to be split?
    • 22nd Feb 17, 1:47 PM
    Probate - Can rent be claimed from resident beneficiary living in house to be split? 22nd Feb 17 at 1:47 PM
    Hi Everyone

The scenario:

Estate includes 1 property, value to be split between 2 of the beneficiaries. 1 of the beneficiaries who was also the executor of the will has lived there from 1971 to present day. His mother (their mother) passed away in 2011 but he didn't carry out any executor functions due to depression until approx 2013. During which time the other beneficiary was urging him to act and threatened to claim 50% value of the rent of the property for the time between 2011 until the beneficiary vacates the property.

The executor/beneficiary has since been removed (via consent order) as executor. The other beneficiary will become executor after grant of probate goes through. He is claiming he has a legal right to 50% rent value from the resident beneficiary.

Can he legally claim this? If so, would he be able to deduct the rent value total from the original executors 50% share of the property value when sold, now that he will be executor?
    Last edited by cc120; 22-02-2017 at 9:39 PM. Reason: clarification
Page 1
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 23rd Feb 17, 2:54 AM
    • 37,351 Posts
    • 33,675 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 23rd Feb 17, 2:54 AM
    • 23rd Feb 17, 2:54 AM
    I think this may depend on the wording of the will, and if it's going to get messy I would recommend legal advice, especially given that the original executor knows what the will says and may disagree that the new executor has a right to rental income.

Other factors: who has been paying the bills on the property? Who has been paying for maintenance of the property?
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 2 baby jumpers, 1 shawl, 2 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, 1 baby jumper
    • cc120
    • By cc120 10th Mar 17, 12:32 AM
    • 97 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    cc120
    • 10th Mar 17, 12:32 AM
    • 10th Mar 17, 12:32 AM
    I think this may depend on the wording of the will, and if it's going to get messy I would recommend legal advice, especially given that the original executor knows what the will says and may disagree that the new executor has a right to rental income.

Other factors: who has been paying the bills on the property? Who has been paying for maintenance of the property?
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    Sorry Savvy_Sue, only just saw this as I wasn't notified, should I have checked a box somewhere :-). Thank you for your reply.

The first executor was paying the bills / maintenance.

I doubt that the will mentioned rent at all.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 10th Mar 17, 10:08 PM
    • 37,351 Posts
    • 33,675 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 10th Mar 17, 10:08 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 10:08 PM
    I refer to my previous post: Executor 2 should get legal advice if he thinks he can claim rent from Executor 1, unless there's clear provision for that in the will.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 2 baby jumpers, 1 shawl, 2 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, 1 baby jumper
    • cc120
    • By cc120 11th Mar 17, 2:37 AM
    • 97 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    cc120
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:37 AM
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:37 AM
    I refer to my previous post: Executor 2 should get legal advice if he thinks he can claim rent from Executor 1, unless there's clear provision for that in the will.
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    Thank you Savvy_Sue, just for the purposes of rounded information on this post:
    According to Judge Judy (US law might be different though) a beneficiary who was living in a house to be split 3 ways between himself, his sister and the executor, neither of which were living in the house, owed 2 thirds of the rent from the time he lived there after his mother's death (don't know if he lived there previously to mother's death) to the executor, half of which to be passed on to the sister. No provisions of rent in the will.
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 11th Mar 17, 3:41 AM
    • 2,308 Posts
    • 1,844 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 11th Mar 17, 3:41 AM
    • 11th Mar 17, 3:41 AM
    Thank you Savvy_Sue, just for the purposes of rounded information on this post:
    According to Judge Judy (US law might be different though) a beneficiary who was living in a house to be split 3 ways between himself, his sister and the executor, neither of which were living in the house, owed 2 thirds of the rent from the time he lived there after his mother's death (don't know if he lived there previously to mother's death) to the executor, half of which to be passed on to the sister. No provisions of rent in the will.
    Originally posted by cc120
    Don't believe everything you see on TV! In any case we have no idea if the US law is the same. For a definitive answer the executors need proper legal advice.
    • cc120
    • By cc120 11th Mar 17, 11:16 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    cc120
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:16 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:16 PM
    Don't believe everything you see on TV! In any case we have no idea if the US law is the same. For a definitive answer the executors need proper legal advice.
    Originally posted by Yorkshireman99
    You're absolutely right of course. Thank you Yorkshireman99.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

312Posts Today

2,779Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin