Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stockton
    • By stockton 21st Feb 17, 12:21 PM
    • 334Posts
    • 154Thanks
    stockton
    Kodi and youtube problem
    • 21st Feb 17, 12:21 PM
    Kodi and youtube problem 21st Feb 17 at 12:21 PM
    Hi All

I have Kodi on a firestick. It is all new to me so I don't know too much about it all. I like Youtube and can access it ok via "System" and "video add-ons".

Youtube will allow me to browse channels and the quality is good. The problem is that when I try to use the "Search" button I get a message saying "Youtube error", "Check the log for more information. (I have no idea how to find the log).

I am signed in to my google account, so no problem there. I have Youtube version 5.4.1

I have searched online and there are various solutions offered, some very different and none guaranteed to work, so far as I can see.

I note that it is possible to revert back to a previous version of Youtube and wondered if that might be a possible solution.

Your ideas much welcomed.
Page 1
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 21st Feb 17, 12:48 PM
    • 3,589 Posts
    • 3,634 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 21st Feb 17, 12:48 PM
    • 21st Feb 17, 12:48 PM
    Why not install the Youtube app on the Firestick, instead of using the Youtube addon in Kodi?

(Unless your mention of Kodi is a false steer, and Youtube is already a separate app).
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 21st Feb 17, 12:51 PM
    • 18,769 Posts
    • 14,477 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 21st Feb 17, 12:51 PM
    • 21st Feb 17, 12:51 PM
    From the way of accessing it that the OP mentions it does sound like the YouTube app within Kodi. So as DoaM says, there's really no need to use this one as YouTube is available as an official app on the Firestick, and is more easily accessed if you install that one. The only issue would be if the Kodi version has replaced the Firestick one, although I don't think it's very likely.

Edit: having done a quick search I can see that there are limitations imposed by Amazon on what can be watched on the Firestick YouTube app, so maybe that's why the OP wants to use the Kodi version.
    Last edited by agrinnall; 21-02-2017 at 12:55 PM.
    • stockton
    • By stockton 21st Feb 17, 1:31 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    stockton
    • 21st Feb 17, 1:31 PM
    • 21st Feb 17, 1:31 PM
    Thanks for replies. Perhaps I should elaborate.

I do have an Amazon prime account and when I register the firestick to my account I can access youtube via the regular firestick. However, when I de-register the firestick from my amazon account and try to access the regular Youtube I get a message saying "you do not own the account" and I cannot access it.

I have de-registered my firestick at the moment because I am trying to learn about kodi and it gets complicated when I am registered to my amazon account.

The Youtube I am currently trying to access is the app that is within kodi. As I say I am able to access and browse the channels but am unable to use the search facility. A friend of mine has the same setup but for some reason has no difficulty in accessing the search facility. I am trying to figure out what I can do to get my search facility to work.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 21st Feb 17, 2:19 PM
    • 3,050 Posts
    • 2,120 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 21st Feb 17, 2:19 PM
    • 21st Feb 17, 2:19 PM
    I have de-registered my firestick at the moment because I am trying to learn about kodi and it gets complicated when I am registered to my amazon account.
    Originally posted by stockton

Could you please elaborate on this .. Kodi is a seperate app that has nothing to do with your amazon account, so it should have no bearing on wether you are signed in to amazon or not as to how it runs ..

The answer you give may give a fuller picture of the problem and allow to assist more
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 21st Feb 17, 2:40 PM
    • 3,589 Posts
    • 3,634 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 21st Feb 17, 2:40 PM
    • 21st Feb 17, 2:40 PM
    Is it possible to side-load Google services and Play store etc. onto the Firestick, like it's possible to do with the Fire tablet? If yes then you'd be able to install the Google version of the Youtube app.

To echo Andy's point above ... I have the Kodi app installed on my Fire tablet. It runs fine and doesn't need me to sign out or deregister my Fire to be able to do so.
    Last edited by DoaM; 21-02-2017 at 2:42 PM.
    Diary of a madman
    Entries of confusion
    • stockton
    • By stockton 21st Feb 17, 3:24 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    stockton
    • 21st Feb 17, 3:24 PM
    • 21st Feb 17, 3:24 PM
    Could you please elaborate on this .. Kodi is a seperate app that has nothing to do with your amazon account, so it should have no bearing on wether you are signed in to amazon or not as to how it runs ..

The answer you give may give a fuller picture of the problem and allow to assist more
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    Hi Andy

As you say this is specifically a Kodi issue. I access Youtube via Kodi and I get a menu with 15 options (ie, "popular right now", Search, My Channel, Browse channels, and etc. If I click on "popular right" now, or "Browse channels" I am able to access them fully.

However, if I try to use the "search" facility I get a message saying "Youtube error, Check the log for more information." I am simply not able to use the search button and hence accessing Youtube in this way is very limited.

This is specifically a "search" issue.

Thanks for your help.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 21st Feb 17, 3:36 PM
    • 3,050 Posts
    • 2,120 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 21st Feb 17, 3:36 PM
    • 21st Feb 17, 3:36 PM
    Update your kodi youtube addon by following the instructions here (new API key)

http://bestforkodi.com/fix-the-youtube-kodi-addon/

But im still confused as to how kodi works differently wether you are signed in to amazon or not ??!!

Please tell, im always eager to learn stuff i didnt know
    Last edited by AndyPix; 21-02-2017 at 3:38 PM. Reason: typo
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 21st Feb 17, 4:00 PM
    • 3,589 Posts
    • 3,634 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 21st Feb 17, 4:00 PM
    • 21st Feb 17, 4:00 PM
    Edit: having done a quick search I can see that there are limitations imposed by Amazon on what can be watched on the Firestick YouTube app, so maybe that's why the OP wants to use the Kodi version.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    Whilst OP doesn't say so, I suspect the above quote may be part of the issue ... OP is trying to get around the Amazon restrictions.
    Diary of a madman
    Entries of confusion
    • stockton
    • By stockton 21st Feb 17, 4:03 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    stockton
    Update your kodi youtube addon by following the instructions here (new API key)

http://bestforkodi.com/fix-the-youtube-kodi-addon/

But im still confused as to how kodi works differently wether you are signed in to amazon or not ??!!

Please tell, im always eager to learn stuff i didnt know
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    Thanks for the link Andy. I knew I could rely on you.

Kodi does not work differently whether signed into Amazon or not, as you, of course, already knew

I have an Amazon firestick with Kodi added to it. Hence there are two different apps for YouTube. There is the official Amazon app which works when I am registered to my Amazon account. Then there is the Kodi Youtube app which works when I access it through Kodi.

I am not surprised that I am confusing people because I am confusing myself.

But now I have work to do updating my Kodi; thanks to you for your help.
    I will of course report back in due course.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 21st Feb 17, 4:07 PM
    • 3,589 Posts
    • 3,634 Thanks
    DoaM
    I guess the question is ... WHY are you trying to use the YT addon in Kodi rather than the separate app?
    Diary of a madman
    Entries of confusion
    • stockton
    • By stockton 21st Feb 17, 4:13 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    stockton
    I guess the question is ... WHY are you trying to use the YT addon in Kodi rather than the separate app?
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Just curiosity I suppose and a desire to try and keep up with the latest technology. The YouTube app on Kodi has different features to the one on the Amazon app and I want to see if it is an improvement.

Also, when my Amazon prime membership runs out I may decide to just go with the Kodi.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 21st Feb 17, 4:20 PM
    • 3,050 Posts
    • 2,120 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Just curiosity I suppose and a desire to try and keep up with the latest technology. The YouTube app on Kodi has different features to the one on the Amazon app and I want to see if it is an improvement.

Also, when my Amazon prime membership runs out I may decide to just go with the Kodi.
    Originally posted by stockton

You dont need to sign out of Amazon atall you know .. Kodi will work just fine and i think it just confuses things more signing out and in .. Just leave it registered.

And also, you dont need amazon prime to use apps on the firestick such as iplayer and youtube, when it runs out everything will continue to work just as it does now, with the exception that some stuff will become chargeable (some movies watched through the amazon its self etc)
    • EdwardB
    • By EdwardB 22nd Feb 17, 3:10 AM
    • 412 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    EdwardB
    I do not know if it helps but I had a similar issue when I setup an Amazon Firestick for a friend along with Plex.

From an interface point of view at the time I wanted to stay in Plex so I totally get why one might want to stay within Kodi rather than have to leave, login into prime etc.

My friend also had issues with the way Amazon behaved when logged in or not. They did not have prime in the end they decided to never log in with Amazon.
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 1st May 17, 2:18 PM
    • 2,220 Posts
    • 1,130 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    My rather long internet look up has at the end of the day been compensated with pleasant insight to talk about with my family and friends. Check also check from here.
    Originally posted by Rajesh343
    No, you've lost me! Can you try again to explain how you are trying to help the OP?
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 1st May 17, 5:42 PM
    • 1,465 Posts
    • 1,752 Thanks
    Kim_13
    Dad has one and when he first got it, all of the Now CD's could be accessed from a tab within Kodi (the links brought up YouTube videos.) They now don't work, saying that the limit has been exceeded and the famous check the log. It said this the other morning at 12:30am when the YouTube hadn't even been used!
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ £108.83/£250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ £220.95/£120.00

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 3rd May 17, 8:53 AM
    • 3,589 Posts
    • 3,634 Thanks
    DoaM
    It’s always so sweet and also full of a lot of fun for me personally and my office colleagues to search your blog a minimum of thrice in a week to see the new guidance you have got. Check also] from here
    Originally posted by Giribabu

Absolutely not , oh no.
    Diary of a madman
    Entries of confusion
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 4th Dec 17, 11:14 AM
    • 26,230 Posts
    • 10,469 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    maheshmak1122 = spammer
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • ukmike
    • By ukmike 4th Dec 17, 2:10 PM
    • 702 Posts
    • 352 Thanks
    ukmike
    the most popular kodi addon is covenant is not working
    Working fine for me.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,248Posts Today

6,093Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin