Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Caroline_a
    • By Caroline_a 18th Feb 17, 7:25 PM
    • 3,763Posts
    • 10,415Thanks
    Caroline_a
    Another boiler issue
    • 18th Feb 17, 7:25 PM
    Another boiler issue 18th Feb 17 at 7:25 PM
    I had my combi boiler serviced about 4 weeks ago. The chap said that I needed a new water softener unit on it as the one I had normally only lasted 2 years or so - this one was the same age as the boiler, 8 years. When he service the boiler I mentioned that the hot water wasn't as hot as it used to be - when I fill the bath up I never put any cold in, and it's still not really hot.

He said that the new water softener might fix that.... but he wasn't sure. So I had the new softener unit, and things are no different. I did text him to let him know but I think he's on holiday, so I might have to ask someone else.

Any ideas what is causing this?
Page 1
    • Chanes
    • By Chanes 18th Feb 17, 8:59 PM
    • 771 Posts
    • 459 Thanks
    Chanes
    • 18th Feb 17, 8:59 PM
    • 18th Feb 17, 8:59 PM
    Does the water flow quickly? We used to have a problem like that long ago and slowed down the water flow which increased the temperature a lot. Luckily there are a couple of Gas safe people on the board who will give you some free advice if they spot your post!
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 18th Feb 17, 9:04 PM
    • 2,501 Posts
    • 1,485 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 18th Feb 17, 9:04 PM
    • 18th Feb 17, 9:04 PM
    First, it's winter. Combi boilers can struggle to heat the really cold mains water at this time of year.

Second, the heat exchanger can gradually clog over the years, The more clogged they are, the less effective. Unfortunately, they are quite expensive to replace. A water softener is only likely to stop it clogging in the first place - it won't help if it's already full of limescale. Also it may be the boiler side that's clogged if the heating system is full of rust and muck.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 18th Feb 17, 11:17 PM
    • 5,091 Posts
    • 2,950 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    • 18th Feb 17, 11:17 PM
    • 18th Feb 17, 11:17 PM
    It's not a water softener it's a scale inhibitor, some are better than others & some last for life & some require replacing, it certainly sounds like the plate heat exchanger is scaled, your new scale inhibitor won't sort this, you either have it replaced or get it cleaned out using chemicals (which is done by taking it out & leaving a cleaner in it for an hour or so), depending on your boiler & therefore the cost of a replacement will determine which way to go
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
    • Caroline_a
    • By Caroline_a 19th Feb 17, 4:58 PM
    • 3,763 Posts
    • 10,415 Thanks
    Caroline_a
    • 19th Feb 17, 4:58 PM
    • 19th Feb 17, 4:58 PM
    Thanks everybody! I'll see what my chap wants to do next, although just to be damn awkward I had a shower last night (separate unit from bath) and it was lovely and hot!
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 19th Feb 17, 6:03 PM
    • 10,081 Posts
    • 9,202 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    • 19th Feb 17, 6:03 PM
    • 19th Feb 17, 6:03 PM
    The answer is to dig out the manufacturers spec for the boiler and using a weir cup and thermometer, set the flow rate to that quoted by the manuf and see if the correct temp rise can be acquired. If not, and its well short, something needs fixing.

I know if i go measure my hot water tap temp now it will be around 51 c. Its unlikely you would get that with a typical combi. I have a traditional storage system with hot water cylinder.
    Last edited by C_Mababejive; 20-02-2017 at 10:35 AM.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • phil24_7
    • By phil24_7 17th Mar 17, 6:34 PM
    • 1,479 Posts
    • 652 Thanks
    phil24_7
    • 17th Mar 17, 6:34 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 6:34 PM
    I'd also look at getting someone who knows their onions to service your boiler in future!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

12Posts Today

3,765Users online

Martin's Twitter