Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kittykat100
    • By kittykat100 18th Feb 17, 11:00 AM
    • 528Posts
    • 378Thanks
    kittykat100
    Mortgage success
    • 18th Feb 17, 11:00 AM
    Mortgage success 18th Feb 17 at 11:00 AM
    Hi,

In Feb 2009 I went bankrupt, over the next 6 years I cleaned up my credit files as best as I could.

End of last year I and my husband was approved for a mainstream mortgage and currently we are now sitting in our own house. I thought this day would never come.

There is hope out there for people, it is just a matter of sitting and waiting past the 6 years and there will be hope.

xx
    ----------------------------------------------------

Life is sometimes a bit pants but occasionally you can wear your french knickers!
Page 1
    • peterkay369
    • By peterkay369 18th Feb 17, 11:19 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    peterkay369
    • 18th Feb 17, 11:19 AM
    • 18th Feb 17, 11:19 AM
    Thanks for sharing kittykat, just goes to show there is life after bankruptcy!
    • ACG
    • By ACG 19th Feb 17, 9:44 PM
    • 14,919 Posts
    • 7,508 Thanks
    ACG
    • 19th Feb 17, 9:44 PM
    • 19th Feb 17, 9:44 PM
    Generally speaking, there are brokers with normal rates who will consider ex bankrupts once they have been discharged 3 years.

Each year after that opens up more options.

Congratulations.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • debt doctor
    • By debt doctor 20th Feb 17, 11:07 AM
    • 4,022 Posts
    • 5,681 Thanks
    debt doctor
    • 20th Feb 17, 11:07 AM
    • 20th Feb 17, 11:07 AM
    That's great news and thanks for the update.
    DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
    • ACG
    • By ACG 20th Feb 17, 11:19 AM
    • 14,919 Posts
    • 7,508 Thanks
    ACG
    • 20th Feb 17, 11:19 AM
    • 20th Feb 17, 11:19 AM
    Generally speaking, there are brokerslenders with normal rates who will consider ex bankrupts once they have been discharged 3 years.

Each year after that opens up more options.

Congratulations.
    Originally posted by ACG
    Sorry that should have said lenders, not brokers.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • freddy911
    • By freddy911 14th Mar 17, 2:53 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    freddy911
    • 14th Mar 17, 2:53 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 2:53 PM
    Hi,

In Feb 2009 I went bankrupt, over the next 6 years I cleaned up my credit files as best as I could.

End of last year I and my husband was approved for a mainstream mortgage and currently we are now sitting in our own house. I thought this day would never come.

There is hope out there for people, it is just a matter of sitting and waiting past the 6 years and there will be hope.

xx
    Originally posted by kittykat100
    Hi Kittykat

Congrats on the Mortgage success!

Can I ask if you had a repossession as part of your BR?

I'm 5 months away and just starting to look into this, I have already found one "Non mainstream" lender who will do 90% LTV with a Br and repo but I want to hold on till my file is clear with the hope a getting a high street lender and better rates. Just dont know about the Repo in conjunction with Br.
    • ACG
    • By ACG 14th Mar 17, 10:08 PM
    • 14,919 Posts
    • 7,508 Thanks
    ACG
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:08 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:08 PM
    Hi Kittykat

Congrats on the Mortgage success!

Can I ask if you had a repossession as part of your BR?

I'm 5 months away and just starting to look into this, I have already found one "Non mainstream" lender who will do 90% LTV with a Br and repo but I want to hold on till my file is clear with the hope a getting a high street lender and better rates. Just dont know about the Repo in conjunction with Br.
    Originally posted by freddy911
    You will potentially have options now, but I agree holding fire will improve your chances.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

226Posts Today

1,383Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • You're right, of course. How silly of me. After all, all my work is solely focused on my own personal circumstance? https://t.co/m6DHzFUjzg

• RT @ARJMOR: @MartinSLewis It may well be kind of random, but the algorithm used has a bias to the unpopular seats.

• It seems what Ryanair is saying is "don't pay and we leave you the seats we don't think people want and they're in the middle."

• Follow Martin